Halò...new, lost and a bit nervous...

Heya all,

Figured I'd give the good ol' introduction a try and take a peek around.  It's the end of May, and I'm about to go into my birth month.  I'll be 36 years young.  The number doesn't bother me, however, the fact that I haven't made the strides that I've wanted to make over the past few years does.  I'm an active pixie in a sluggish body, and I'm ready to make changes.  I love hiking, running, lifting and dancing (tribal bellydance is my <3 ), so those are my main focus.  It's a bit of a hodge-podge, but they say to do what you love, right?  Lifting is a new love for me, after being diagnosed with RA last year. My rheumy told me the best thing I could do was lose weight and build strength, so that has been my goal.  I've lost 15lbs thusfar, and have 80 more to go.  Man, that sounds overwhelming... I haven't chosen a class as of yet due to my "all over the place" nature and uncertainty where I'd fit in.

I'm an artist at heart, with a love for the fantastical and Celtic.  I'm of Scottish descent, which I claim fiercely, and dream of traveling back to my ancestral homeland in the Highlands.  The goal is set for September 2020, and while there, I plan to run the Loch Ness Marathon.  At least I have plenty of time to train? 

But anyway... yeah.  I kinda suck at these things...

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!  Cruise through the forums to see what the guilds are about, but you can stay a free agent/rebel for as long as you want.  And you can change guilds or make challenges that would seem more X guild while hanging out in Y guild.  It's a pretty loose system just meant to group like-minded individuals so that they can support each other and provide feedback.  

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

I see you correctly chose to go with the rebels for your first challenge (that is the recommended starting place while you learn the forums and the challenges).  As for a class, your all over the place fits perfectly with the rangers...   Our main motto is "Do ALL the things" LOL  (also referred to as Rangerbrain).

As for your love of your ancestral heritage, I can think off the top of my head of one fellow ranger who is studying highland broadsword techniques and another who happens to currently live in the highlands.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

@bker1370 who lives in the highlands??? Is @iatetheyeti still up (down for me) there? (Hiiiiiiiiii Yeti!!!!!) Sorry @Siofra don't mean to derail your intro thread, but I'm from the highlands, though I live in Shetland these day. Fort William is home for me, just southwest of Loch Ness and at the foot of Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain.

Im fiercely proud of my home, If you want me to spam you with pictures of the area just say the word! Do you know what area your ancestors came from?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

6 hours ago, bker1370 said:

I see you correctly chose to go with the rebels for your first challenge (that is the recommended starting place while you learn the forums and the challenges).  As for a class, your all over the place fits perfectly with the rangers...   Our main motto is "Do ALL the things" LOL  (also referred to as Rangerbrain).

As for your love of your ancestral heritage, I can think off the top of my head of one fellow ranger who is studying highland broadsword techniques and another who happens to currently live in the highlands.

Thank you! Yes, "do all the things" fits me to a T, lol! I'm definitely feeling I fit in best with the Rangers due to this!

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

@bker1370 who lives in the highlands??? Is @iatetheyeti still up (down for me) there? (Hiiiiiiiiii Yeti!!!!!) Sorry @Siofra don't mean to derail your intro thread, but I'm from the highlands, though I live in Shetland these day. Fort William is home for me, just southwest of Loch Ness and at the foot of Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain.

Im fiercely proud of my home, If you want me to spam you with pictures of the area just say the word! Do you know what area your ancestors came from?

Haha, no worries on derailment! My ancestors on my father's side cane from the Inverness area. My maiden name is Grant. On my mother's side, it was in the Morvern area. They were MacDougall's. I'm in the long process of trying to figure out all the places I need to and want to hit when we visit. At least I have 4 years to figure it all out, lol!

• Like 1

First of all, hello and welcome! 

9 hours ago, bker1370 said:

I'll second suggesting you come over to the rangers, not that I'm biased or anything! 

(and the ranger studying highland broadsword techniques would be @Thom Ulfhedinn)

6 hours ago, Guzzi said:

3 hours ago, Siofra said:

Thank you! Yes, "do all the things" fits me to a T, lol! I'm definitely feeling I fit in best with the Rangers due to this!

Haha, no worries on derailment! My ancestors on my father's side cane from the Inverness area. My maiden name is Grant. On my mother's side, it was in the Morvern area. They were MacDougall's. I'm in the long process of trying to figure out all the places I need to and want to hit when we visit. At least I have 4 years to figure it all out, lol!

And yes, I would be the ranger currently located in the highlands :D And hey, what do you know, looks like we're a part of the same clan! Far as I can tell, though, my ancestors are from the less scenic north east or thereabouts. 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

First of all, hello and welcome! 

I'll second suggesting you come over to the rangers, not that I'm biased or anything! 

(and the ranger studying highland broadsword techniques would be @Thom Ulfhedinn)

And yes, I would be the ranger currently located in the highlands :D And hey, what do you know, looks like we're a part of the same clan! Far as I can tell, though, my ancestors are from the less scenic north east or thereabouts. 

Thanks! Are you a Grant as well?? My direct ancestor that first came to America was captured after the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 and shipped off as an indentured servant. We're still in the process of tracing things, since records from so far back aren't exactly the most accurate sometimes, but it seems to be showing signs of Pictish and Viking connections. I am a history buff, so I love trying to find out all I can and hope to follow the Pictish Trail and go see some of the ancient sites when I make it over there!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Siofra said:

Thanks! Are you a Grant as well?? My direct ancestor that first came to America was captured after the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 and shipped off as an indentured servant. We're still in the process of tracing things, since records from so far back aren't exactly the most accurate sometimes, but it seems to be showing signs of Pictish and Viking connections. I am a history buff, so I love trying to find out all I can and hope to follow the Pictish Trail and go see some of the ancient sites when I make it over there!

That I am. My mother was trying to trace the family history a while back, so I hear you on the sometimes dodgy records. Still, there is a theory that Clan Grant can be traced back to Kenneth MacAlpin, and while it may or may not be true, I like to believe that us Grants are descended from the first king of Scotland! I hope your search yields some more concrete results for you :) 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

That I am. My mother was trying to trace the family history a while back, so I hear you on the sometimes dodgy records. Still, there is a theory that Clan Grant can be traced back to Kenneth MacAlpin, and while it may or may not be true, I like to believe that us Grants are descended from the first king of Scotland! I hope your search yields some more concrete results for you :) 

Nice to meet you, Cousin!  :D  I was doing some stuff, and if the information that I found is to be believed, the Viking portion was pretty impressive as well.  When you're playing on Ancestry.com and suddenly it says you're descended from Odin.. I mean, what do you do there?  Do you claim it and have a chuckle?  Because that's totally what I did, not gonna lie.  My husband is all concerned now because I'm apparently descended from Viking demigods and Picts.  He said that he really doesn't want to see what happens when I'm really upset, lol!

So, how do I join the Rangers?  Do I just say, "Hey, I'm a Ranger now!" and it's a thing?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Siofra said:

Nice to meet you, Cousin!  :D  I was doing some stuff, and if the information that I found is to be believed, the Viking portion was pretty impressive as well.  When you're playing on Ancestry.com and suddenly it says you're descended from Odin.. I mean, what do you do there?  Do you claim it and have a chuckle?  Because that's totally what I did, not gonna lie.  My husband is all concerned now because I'm apparently descended from Viking demigods and Picts.  He said that he really doesn't want to see what happens when I'm really upset, lol!

So, how do I join the Rangers?  Do I just say, "Hey, I'm a Ranger now!" and it's a thing?

I love that Ancestry.com seems to have Odin's family tree stashed away in there! And yeah, absolutely own it :D

Basically, yes, that's all there is to it. The powers that be recommend you do your first challenge with the Adventurers in order to learn the ropes and get a good feel for the challenge format, but it is exactly that, a recommendation (it means you'll be more in the company of newer folks and the like, really). We often have newbies come along to us for their first challenges, and I'm sure other guilds get the same. Just drop by the guildhall and introduce yourself, then basically make yourself comfortable there! Check out the current challenges, that sort of thing, and by the time the next challenge rolls around you'll be good to go :) 

• Like 1