Pre/Post Natal Fitness

Hi!

I am a CrossFit gym owner, olympic lifter and huge fan of NF.  I would like to get more education around training pre/post natal women and was wondering if anyone out there could point me in the right direction as to certifications or other resources?  I am hoping to make this my next career focus.  Thank you!!

Just wanted to say this is so so important. I think it's important for post natal fitness to be scaled and recovery focused rather than just 'bouncing back."

My little guy is 6 months now, and I had a rough birth and had vulva pain for at least 3 months if I did any activity. I'm just starting back in the gym, and it's like starting over. But it's okay, I wanted to avoid exacerbating pelvic issues. 

• Like 4

I've been interested in trying CrossFit, but I'm in my first trimester now (eight weeks five days!), and I don't know whether to start a new, high-intensity activity now. Anyway, do we have an ongoing thread for PreggoRebels?

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

On 8/20/2016 at 0:30 AM, PrincessHeather said:

Just wanted to say this is so so important. I think it's important for post natal fitness to be scaled and recovery focused rather than just 'bouncing back."

My little guy is 6 months now, and I had a rough birth and had vulva pain for at least 3 months if I did any activity. I'm just starting back in the gym, and it's like starting over. But it's okay, I wanted to avoid exacerbating pelvic issues. 

Hey!  I am now the SF Regional Director for BIRTHFIT.  How is your healing?

• Like 1

I had never heard of Birthfit. It looks really fantastic! I have been a labor and postpartum doula and a birth educator for 10 years. I am on the path to becoming a Certified Nurse Midwife.

I am really interested in pelvic floor and Diastasis Recti healing postpartum. I think it can often be the cause of moms not being able to lose weight or get fit again. It has been a major factor for me. I can't do cardio or group exercise classes in the gym because I pee on myself the entire time. I have had to figure out how to become a "private" runner because of this issue. I do all of my cardio outdoors and alone. This is wonderful except in the winter when the cold makes my asthma flare. Asthma/ cold weather has derailed my fitness year after year.

It is tough to get help for it. My PCP says do Kegals. It isn't my vagina that is weak. There is a PT where I live that specializes in pelvic floor and Diastasis Recti rehab, but insurance won't cover it and it is completely cost prohibitive. I want to heal, but I also want to have information I can share with my clients and with my patients one day. Nobody should be afraid to work out for fear of peeing on themselves. Mamas have so much other stuff to worry about!

@herwitsend

YES!  Nobody should have to live in fear of peeing themselves.  Pelvic floor dysfunction is a real issue that SO many moms take on as "normal".  DRA healing and pelvic floor healing can be separately managed though not completely unrelated.  

Where do you live?  Let me see if there is someone in your area that can be a resource for you!