So I am getting back into the gym.  I also decided to give the Stronglifts 5x5 app a try and I like it so far. (Although I really need to bump my weights up for a couple things since I'm flying through reps.  I didn't know my maxes and so I just went with the base numbers it told me)

I dont see see myself continuing SL for a long time though.  I workout 3 days a week.  Monday and  Friday are lifting days and Wednesday I do a spin class for some cardio as well as speed in my legs.  As I progress through the app I keep getting the same two workouts.  So I started looking for another program to try.

I came across the Texas Method and it seems like something that would fit in with my current schedule of twice a week lifts and be a decent strength builder to help me improve with my throwing in the Highland games.

So I guess the question I have is, would the Texas Method be a good program to progress into?  Or is there something else I should explore?

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Stronglifts literally is (2) alternating workouts.  That's the entire premise.  It's designed for novices (meaning you haven't been lifting for years).  It builds strength very well if you just stick with it.  Alternatively, Starting Strength is a very similar program that does almost exactly the same - slightly different mix of compound exercises done (3) days a week, alternating mostly between (2) workouts but with power cleans alternating with deadlifts if I remember correctly.  Don't be fooled by the word novice.  Anyone starting out is going to be a novice for a long time just because you can recover and progress quickly.  Eventually, you can't build enough muscle and maintain the muscle you have in the (48) hours between workouts so you need to add more variation to allow for recovery and slower but possible progress.

The Texas method is the intermediate version of starting strength.  It's for people who have run through starting strength for months if not years.  Really, lifting twice a week should give you more than adequate recovery without having to switch to an intermediate program.  You would probably make faster gains on a more simple novice program like stronglifts and starting strength.  Maybe if you find stronglifts too boring, take a look at starting strength.  However, it's not going to add a lot of variety to the workouts. 

• Like 1

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Ive been looking for post-SL programs as well. The SL blog suggests following up with mad cow but I haven't seen many others doing that. Subbing to this topic to see what others suggest!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think @SevenofSeven has done/ is doing madcow? Maybe she can chime in

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Found myself a Madcow when I was not recovering from SL. It was getting brutal on my old body.

Made some awesome gains with Madcow and still love it.

Flirted with "The Cube" which I also loved. However back into Madcow for another 12 week rotation.

Madcow allows recovery, while still giving you weekly progress. The only thing is it does not give you accessories, which I found I loved with "The Cube".

TL;DR

Love Madcow, Love "The Cube" both good intermediate programs IMO for the coachless lifter.

Typed out using opposable thumbs!

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Madcow is roughly similar to TM, not that big of a difference. Volume day, light day, intensity day. They just use different rep schemes. Stronglifts author Mehdi wants you to do Madcow, Starting Strength auther Rip want TM. Different flavors, pick the one you like more, run it for 3-6 months minimum.

As for when to progress, people tend to stay on the novice program way too long. Reset 2-3 times for each lift as it says, then once you do that, progress to the intermediate program of choice, independently for each lift. For most people overhead press and bench novice gains are done way before squats and DLs, so for these two you'd switch to the weekly programming and progressions while still doing the novice scheme for squats and deadlifts. Eventually you're doing intermediate for everything.

And if you're concerned with lack of variety, it's something you have to get used to. The most successful lifters are the ones that stick to their programming, that typically have them doing the same thing for weeks and months at a time, and progress as directed.

As Seven said, after the intermediate programming, whixh can last years, there's advanced periodic training like Cube, which takes 9-10 weeks to complete doing 3 days a week and varies the rep ranges during that time. I've done it 2-3 times and am currently running my own variant that combines the bench and squat days, then splits them over 3 days, because I like high frequency, low volume on a given day vs 6-10 sets of squats or bench in a single day.

@SevenofSeven just do accessories after the Madcow lifts. Volume day I was usually bushed, but light day had plenty of time and energy left and even some on intensity day.

• Like 5

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

19 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Madcow is roughly similar to TM, not that big of a difference. Volume day, light day, intensity day. They just use different rep schemes. Stronglifts author Mehdi wants you to do Madcow, Starting Strength auther Rip want TM. Different flavors, pick the one you like more, run it for 3-6 months minimum.

As for when to progress, people tend to stay on the novice program way too long. Reset 2-3 times for each lift as it says, then once you do that, progress to the intermediate program of choice, independently for each lift. For most people overhead press and bench novice gains are done way before squats and DLs, so for these two you'd switch to the weekly programming and progressions while still doing the novice scheme for squats and deadlifts. Eventually you're doing intermediate for everything.

And if you're concerned with lack of variety, it's something you have to get used to. The most successful lifters are the ones that stick to their programming, that typically have them doing the same thing for weeks and months at a time, and progress as directed.

As Seven said, after the intermediate programming, whixh can last years, there's advanced periodic training like Cube, which takes 9-10 weeks to complete doing 3 days a week and varies the rep ranges during that time. I've done it 2-3 times and am currently running my own variant that combines the bench and squat days, then splits them over 3 days, because I like high frequency, low volume on a given day vs 6-10 sets of squats or bench in a single day.

@SevenofSeven just do accessories after the Madcow lifts. Volume day I was usually bushed, but light day had plenty of time and energy left and even some on intensity day.

Thanks for the input @Gainsdalf the Whey. My fear isn't really that I will stay on the novice program too long, but rather make the jump too early.  As I keep doing SL though I am settling into the routine.  Trying to figure out other exercises I can add into my lifting days for some variety as well so it's all a learning process to me.

-KiltedCowboy

There is no too early. You could start the intermediate program right away, you just wouldn't progress as quickly in the beginning.

For variety it's accessories after as far as SL goes. Hit your weak spots, do things for funsies, etc. Chin ups, curls, lat pulldowns, anything you like after the main lifts are done.

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

6 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

There is no too early. You could start the intermediate program right away, you just wouldn't progress as quickly in the beginning.

For variety it's accessories after as far as SL goes. Hit your weak spots, do things for funsies, etc. Chin ups, curls, lat pulldowns, anything you like after the main lifts are done.

except cardio :P

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Just to make sure I'm following - when you say reset do you mean changing to different reps when you start to plateau (ie 5x5 --> 5x3 --> 3x1) or something else?

sent from the depths of the Ionian Nebula

No, the stronglifts program defines it in the guide. It's basically deloading the lift by 10% then working back up as normal I believe. It allows you body to fully recover. After doing it 3 times, you switch to the new rep scheme.

500 / 330 / 625

20 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

No, the stronglifts program defines it in the guide. It's basically deloading the lift by 10% then working back up as normal I believe. It allows you body to fully recover. After doing it 3 times, you switch to the new rep scheme.

Any idea if the app will do this automatically?  

-KiltedCowboy

On 6/9/2016 at 3:51 PM, Raxie said:

Just to make sure I'm following - when you say reset do you mean changing to different reps when you start to plateau (ie 5x5 --> 5x3 --> 3x1) or something else?

No. Keep running the same working set until you hit the number of deloads to change. That's meant to be the number of deloads without increasing your weight. Example, your max completed weight is 300 5x5, You've failed to get to 305 5x5 after 2-3 deloads, drop down to 3x5. The next time you fail to advance in weight after 2-3 deloads you'd switch to 3x3, etc.

As far as when to switch off StrongLifts, that depends on your personal goals. If you hit 3x3 but your goal is bodybuilding rather than strength output then you could switch off and to move to a more hypertrophy focused intermediate program such as Madcow. If you're goal is focused more on strength output, particularly for powerlifting then you should complete the program for the 3x3 and 1x3 before switching to a power focused intermediate program. You can also start adding in accessory work to the stronglifts program by this point if you haven't already.

10 minutes ago, KiltedCowboy said:

Yes.

Awesome yeah that exactly the process I was referencing I guess I just didn't say it very clearly. Thanks!

On 6/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

You believe correctly.

On 6/11/2016 at 6:41 AM, KiltedCowboy said:

It does.