Wow, what a lame title. I know, I know. I'm not clever and catchy like you.

This is my first attempt at some sort of accountability that doesn't end when I type up my food into my phone.

Morning: The day started out in a bit of a rush. I woke up later than usual, not feeling too great. It's raining and humid today, probably the cause. For breakfast, I had a spoonfull of peanut butter, a pear, and my vitamins. 7:30 was my regular yoga class, except my teacher had a sub today who frankly sucked. It's an advanced vinyasa/strength class and we had 3 newbies who had never taken a single yoga class before. By all means, yoga is for everyone. Advanced classes, not so much. I should be patient, but personally it bugs me when someone with no experience comes to a class they're not prepared for. I was a little less than happy. The sub was a pilates instructor who added unnecessary elements to the class, very different from my teacher, and made up a pose that doesn't exist (or she just didn't know how to do side angle?) After yoga, my mom wanted to go to the grocery store and ended up buying crackers. Yikes. So I ate crackers with her. Michou threw up on the floor.

Afternoon: Ate beef tacos with my mom, with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, and avo. I guess I should say I ate one taco. Had half a Cadbury Crunchie as a treat. We drove to Canada yesterday (I live 5 m from the border) and we had bought candy bars to take with us to my dad and brother, so the Crunchie bar was my treat to myself. I had an orchestra concert in the afternoon. My boyfriend bought me a new yoga mat/blocks/towel so that I can leave my mat here when I move in with him next weekend. (I live in VT, he lives in MI. I'm a teacher so I'll move "home" for the summer to be with him.) So that was nice.

Evening: Ate leftover tacos with my mom. Skipped the tortilla and avo and had it on chips instead - but very small because my tummy was hurting and I have cramps. Yuck. I've been thinking about getting a tablet for ages and had sorta settled on a kindle fire (because haha I'm broke) so I decided to check eBay to see what's available. Lost 2 snipes because the sellers required a linked paypal account and I've got a new one since I last used eBay. Finished my Crunchie bar with my mom's help. T-minus 50 minutes to Game of Thrones.

Summary: I'm just doing the best I can with my mom here. I can't eat what/when I'd like because she doesn't eat clean and isn't willing to listen to my rules about what foods she can/can't bring into my home. I really needed my yoga class to go well today and it did not, so that's not great. And I wish my tummy would stop hurting. (Probably due to eating so much dairy since my mom has arrived...)

Astrid || 24 || female || INFP || Druid || level 2

The pose I'm working on is chaturanga dadasana.

Right now I'm reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

Check out my character, my log, or my challenge.

Since I'm going to be starting the challenge, I'm going to post my goals here. Specific updates for the challenge will go into the challenge forum. General updates will go here. But for the sake of a general update here, here goes.

My goal: The goal of this challenge is to build basic habits, especially habits that will withstand the frequent changes in my life. In July, I'll be in Costa Rica for 3 weeks at Spanish school, so these quests should be habits I can maintain during that trip.

Diet: I'm picking two diet goals.

• Eat a vegetable with two meals a day
  • Eat out only once a week (with the exception of week 1)

Fitness: One goal.

• Get at least 5,000 steps 5 days a week, +1,000 each week

Life:  goal.

• Save $5 in Tip Yourself each week.
  • Keep up with daily assignments from NFA.

Monday June 6, 2016

Morning: Ate a slice of Ezekiel bread, one scrambled egg, and a plum for breakfast. Left in the late morning to drive to another town for some visits. Split a cider donut with my mom at the cider mill and tried a couple kinds of jam on crackers. Went to pick up cheese and tried a dozen or so types of cheese. Then went to Ben & Jerry's factory tour and had a small cup of ice cream at the end. 

Afternoon: Split a turkey club wrap and a glass of hard cider with my mom. Lettuce and tomato on the wrap, and it came with a mini salad. Drove to the Von Trapp Family Lodge to see the mountain (yes, the Von Trapps moved to Vermont and now own a hotel/resort complex and brewery - and it's gorgeous and really does look like it's straight from Austria) and drove up and down and around the whole mountain. Went to a local coffee shop and had a small iced maple latte with soy milk (because I love soy milk, not for dietary reasons). Then headed home.

Evening: Signed up for the academy and then three hours later realized it was smart because the price is changing (lucky me). Read through some of the basic introductory materials. Made stir-fried veggies with grilled chicken and one ounce of rice noodles for dinner. Had half a cup of mango lemonade (my mom insisted we have juice in the house and now we need to get rid of it before Saturday). Walked to the ice cream shop in town and had a baby cone with my mom, 2 miles round trip. 

Summary: Gee, I ended up eating a lot of ice cream. Splitting my lunch with my mom was a good decision, as was making stir fried veggies and grilled chicken for dinner - now I have leftovers to eat tomorrow for lunch! I'm glad I signed up for the academy because if I hadn't done it this week, I probably would have come back in a few weeks to look at the price and balked at the new price. 

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Morning: Got up in the morning and took measurements, then had an apple and some peanut butter with vitamins for breakfast. Back to work today so I spent the morning compiling and grading exams.

Afternoon: Ate leftover stir-fried veggies with chicken for dinner (no noodles) and did still more exams. Headed home, found there was a mistake in my vivosmart shipment. Received the wrong device, but still waiting to find out if it was intentional or an error. My new swimsuit for my trip to Costa Rica was delivered to my boyfriend's house. When I got home, I had a coffee with some cream and raw honey and a glass of juice.

Dinner: Mom made chicken noodle soup with carrots, onion, and celery. Yum! Haven't had this in almost a year! Went for a walk with my mom and checked and added oil to my car. Found out my new yoga set arrived to my boyfriend's place too!! Had a mini plate of nachos and made some pecan brittle because my mom is driving me nuts. She bought more crackers and tried to make me watch a video about how to check the oil (even though I already know how!) and then insisted we ask a guy at the car store to show me how to change the oil. I'll be quite happy when I don't have to live with her any more come Sunday.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Morning: Had a good breakfast of an apple and an egg fried over-easy with a spritz of coconut oil. Today was the last day of finals at school and kids are stressing me out begging for extra credit.

Afternoon: Had a bowl of chicken noodle soup and then two slices of pizza from FBLA. The square average-ish slices, not the giant triangular ones. Couldn't focus on grading and my tummy didn't sit right. I think it was the greasy food - earlier this week, we had tacos that were super greasy and they also made my tummy squeamish.

Evening: Went out for a cider with friends and my mom, and split a Green Mountain Special pizza with my mom (local cheddar, spinach, onion, apple, bacon, and a drizzle of maple syrup.) At home, I had a hot chocolate because it's freezing out, and then snacked on carrot sticks while facetiming my boyfriend. I bought a kindle fire tablet (!!!) and the planner I've been eyeing up for over a month. I've got everything in line to be in the green again financially come Friday when I get my paycheck, now that I don't have to pay a cable bill and my electric bill will be low! I'm hoping to use the kindle fire to read books, watch movies & TV, surf the net, use tumblr, and I think it will be great for my trip to Costa Rica.

Summary: I remembered what someone said yesterday about how you feel worse and worse after the first 3 bites of sugar. When I wanted a snack, I ate carrots. And made myself feel better by lecturing my boyfriend about mac and cheese. Then we talked about calories and he realized it takes a lot more to burn a calorie than he thought. I think I did better for myself today than yesterday.

Totally don't feel like doing this, but I'm going to anyways. It's 9:45 and I've gotten home after a very long day.

Morning: (Technically, last night) All three smoke detectors started malfunctioning at 11:30 PM, about an hour and a half after I went to bed. I woke up with a splitting headache and the best I could do was to pry them out with a screwdriver, wrap them in blankets and sweatshirts, toss them down the stairs in the hall outside my apartment, and throw back some advil. This morning I slept in an hour (it was OK since we had a late start at work today, with no kids around because it was a teacher work day) and had two eggs scrambled with a dot of half and half and fried in a spritz of coconut oil. I tossed in a little shredded cheese and some salsa, and finished it off with a plum. At work, I dealt with my single most irritating student, who showed up with his dad after his parents (apparently for the first time all year?) realized he was going to completely fail my class. After his dad left, he half-assed some work, rushed through two chapter tests (30-ish minutes of work for the most serious students) in about 10 minutes each. After he got worn out, he left me on his own.

Afternoon: At staff appreciation, I got a free coffee mug (looking forward to having something to smash out of frustration next time I'm pissed at my school) and they gave us free food. Potato salad, sandwiches with turkey, cheese, and veggies, two small cookies, and a load of watermelon, grapes, and strawberries. I rolled my eyes when a coworker took her sandwich off its bread because she "doesn't eat carbs" but then ate pasta salad and potato salad. (okay???) I finished my grading and set about my end-of-the-year tasks. I learned I have to return the employee handbook I received at the start of the year. Nobody told me this, so I dismembered it to give the binder to a student. I tried to return the papers and the secretary gave me the filthiest look. It's just a binder, lady... 

Evening: After work, I went to a going-away party for a coworker who was (unfairly) fired. We had burgers made from another teacher's highland cows (yUM), for which I sautéed our buns in some butter, chips and snacks, potato salad (again), and a couple of smores. The same teacher who brought his meat also brought homemade beer, which everyone thought was great - four or five different styles! We hung out, I met my coworker/future boss's husband's kids, and I did a 3d puzzle. We had a bonfire, I inhaled way too much smoke, and had another splitting headache by the time I got home. Mom had dealt with the smoke detectors (thanks) as well as a couple of other small problems that arose. My cat missed me a lot (mom says he was crying for me) and tomorrow is my last day at work. Saturday, I leave for Michigan.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2016 at 3:44 PM, Astrid said:

Weekend: drove 1,000 miles across Canada to move from VT to MI. Not recording food because I'm lazy.

Was it at least a pretty drive?

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog