• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Redstone Crafts a Map & Builds a Well

19 hours ago, Steaky said:

On the subject of food, I did really tasty slow cooked, shredded beef in my crockpot yesterday using a seasoning pack we picked up on an adventure a few weeks ago. It was all the noms 

Oh? Please feel free to elaborate.... pretty please? I love shredded beef. But I never make it. Because reasons.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Oh? Please feel free to elaborate.... pretty please? I love shredded beef. But I never make it. Because reasons.

It was a pre-mixed seasoning packet with paprika, chilli seeds and black pepper (among other spices) that you mixed with water. Add to the crockpot with a kilo of beef and cook high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Then shred with 2 forks and mix in a little maple syrup (which I forgot) and serve. 

TLDR: this http://www.gordonrhodes.co.uk/shop/gourmet-sauce-mixes/sticky-brisket-of-beef-without-the-grief-sauce-mix#.V1hTjZB4WrU

• Like 3

I find it interesting the thought of the weight at which meat is sold. In the US it is (obv) sold in pounds so ground beef or turkey is sold in 1 or 3 lb packages and thus many recipes usually are planned around the package size of 1 lb. Do recipes in the UK typically call for 1 kg? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I find it interesting the thought of the weight at which meat is sold. In the US it is (obv) sold in pounds so ground beef or turkey is sold in 1 or 3 lb packages and thus many recipes usually are planned around the package size of 1 lb. Do recipes in the UK typically call for 1 kg? 

Yup! They're usually 0.5-1-1.5kg etc

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It was for a piece of brisket and that size isn't uncommon for a meal for four people. Depending on what the recipie is for 2-300g per person is fairly typical for meat. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh heyyyy!

how are you already so on point?! it's zero week! ;)

Hey girrrl!!! LOL Oh but I love zero week! we'll see how I'm holding up on week 4... :P 

EE50hRi.gif

• Like 2

Today went much better than Monday, despite waking up at 4:30am. AGAIN. Chest day, and I tried extra hard to keep things slow and deliberate, which I think will be a challenge for me. I kept having to remind myself to concentrate and focus, but it ended up being quite productive and I felt pretty shaky after.

Also surprised myself with ease of accessories, even tho, yeah, this should be hapenning the more I do them :P so it really doesn't need to be a surprise.

I've also been having some issues with my back the last week or so, nothing major but something I want to keep an eye on. I'm pinpointing it down to my lats (not the first time) and added some focus on them too.

~Bench~

1X5 45#

1X5 55#

1X5 65#

1X5 75#

6X5 55#

~Seconds~

3X15 Flat Bench Press 10#BB

3X15 Tri Kickbacks 10#BB

1X15 Seated Tri Extensions 5#BB

2X15 Seated Tri Extensions 10#BB

2X10 Dips 50# Assist

1X10 Dips 40# Assist

1X15 Tri Pulldown 12.5kg

2X15 Tri Pulldown 17.5kg

3X15 Straight Lat Pulldown 30#

1X25sec Wall Handstand

1X15sec Wall Handstand

~3X Circuit~

10X Burpee

8X Front Lunge 10#KBs

8X Back Lunge 10#KBs

30X Mountain Climber

15X Sumo Gob Squats 10#KB

10X Pushups

~Core~

10X Leg Levers

50X Hundreds

30X Dead Bugs

30Sec Elevated Leg Side Planks

30Sec Full Plank

Lately I've been in the habit of packing 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs if I don't have lunch prepared. I scarfed three down in the car right after, went to the grocery and aimless wandered around in a fog (all I needed was olive oil and walnuts...) then made it to Boston Market for chicken and all the stuff. I'm struggling to make my way through it all now, and I somehow have 1000 kcals left for the day which confuses me, actually maybe someone could clarify for me.

I just switched to MFP and when I add exercise it gives me more calories for the day. I think this makes sense though I'm not 100% sure... goal is currently to make sensible gainz while maintaining measurements. Thoughts on that?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I just switched to MFP and when I add exercise it gives me more calories for the day. I think this makes sense though I'm not 100% sure... goal is currently to make sensible gainz while maintaining measurements. Thoughts on that?

I just don't eat back the calories it gives me because I've already set my calorie goal for what I know is my maintenance WITH my exercise. I just use MFP to have a historical log of workout minutes. I.E. i know my maintenance with my current 4x week workouts is 2000 cals, so I put my MPF goal at 1900 for wiggle room. If MPF gives me an extra 500 cals for exercising and i ate it back, then I would end up gaining weight. 

MFP assumes your calorie goal doesn't include your calories burned from workouts, it's closer to your BMR not your TDEE. 

So the answer is, it depends on why you set your MFP goal for whatever it currently is. 

• Like 4

I don't use MFP to log exercises.  A lot of exercise logging is grossing inaccurate.  So if you are logging what you eat which is not super accurate and then add calories from inaccurate exercise logging, you have HIGHLY inaccurate values.  If you keep your workouts consistent and your diet consistent, you should over time see where you are going.  Then you can manually move one to match the other.  Then again, every BMR estimate seems to put me over 3000 because of my size.  But my skeletal mass doesn't help much when I'm not moving. 

I think it's better to use your own judgment when matching your exercise to your diet.

• Like 3

I do a combo of what Taddea and Grymm do. I don't enter my cardio exercises into MFP. However my FitBit is connected to it, so I'll get a few hundred calories added via that. If I know I worked my ass off, I'll eat those extra calories. If I didn't, if I really only earned them by walking around during the course of my day, then I don't eat those calories. For reference, I have my calorie goal set at a bit higher than my BMR to account for my normal, non-exercise activity. To be fair, I'm still working out if this is a good way to handle things, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for informational purposes only. :) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

So the answer is, it depends on why you set your MFP goal for whatever it currently is. 

6 hours ago, Grymm said:

I think it's better to use your own judgment when matching your exercise to your diet.

5 hours ago, Alaysia said:

I do a combo of what Taddea and Grymm do.

Oof, I've been working so I couldn't reply sooner, but I'm so glad I got all your feedback when I did! Avoided an overload of a day. 

Since I'm new to MFP I figured I'd try out all the stuff... why not give exercise tracking a try? Yeah, then the maths got me confused. What I'm doing seems to be working, gonna keep on trucking and not feel one way or another about logging my workouts except for here.

Thanks all!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I just learned a lot 0_0

A quick google comparison tells me that 1kg is 2.2lbs. A 2lb piece of meat isn't that big. 

• Like 1

So I've been a little more worried about my (back/lats/shoulder/neck) pain this past week than I've let on, mostly in the - did I do this over reaching my deadlift - vein. Feels a lot like the scapular injury I had just before I started lifting and I was starting to worry that I was going to have to stop training just as I'm getting started. I've been rolling, stretching, frozen water bottle etc, but it hasn't let up.

Rewind to last week's terrible heat, putting in the air conditioner that doesn't work and taking away my wonderful heavy down blanket in exchange for a thin sheet while we try to get the air conditioner working again... Oh yeah that's right. I sleep like crap, toss and turn and always end up waking up in a weird position, most likely laying on a twisted shoulder.

Took initiative last night and got some thicker but not as thick blankets (always sleep better under something heavy) and a pillow under my knees which isn't ideal but keeps me from tossing around. Slept on my back all night and the pain is reduced today. Couple more nights like that and I have a feeling I'll be all good! Guess I should look for a summer weight comforter and figure out the air conditioner soon as well.

Meanwhile, full on rest day with some house stuff and car stuff and cleaning stuff to prepare for a sort of last minute weekend visit from my folks! Happy Thursday Ya'll!

NwMebUX.gif

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Steaky said:

A quick google comparison tells me that 1kg is 2.2lbs. A 2lb piece of meat isn't that big. 

I usually get 4 - 6 oz in per meal... :eek-new:

• Like 1

I'm glad you are taking care of yourself and resting your injuries. One step back to take two steps forward is worth it in the end. :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

How many ounces in a pound? I've always struggled with that. Probably why I hate baking, everything has to be so precise. 

Glad you're figuring out your pain issues too. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steaky said:

How many ounces in a pound? I've always struggled with that. Probably why I hate baking, everything has to be so precise. 

Glad you're figuring out your pain issues too. 

What is it about Kgs that make me feel so small? LOL

kfoic93m.png

OH, and it's 16oz to the #

8 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

What is it about Kgs that make me feel so small? LOL

kfoic93m.png

OH, and it's 16oz to the #

I've no idea. I have that sometimes too. Last night a friend told me she was deadlifting 30kg and I thought that was tiny. Until I realised she is lifting 30 kilos, not 30 pounds, massive difference. 

Pretty sure I've been told that before, so I'll probably forget again as I don't use that info. But thanks all the same. 

I'm only familiar with it because of my medical stuff and I used to get weighed in KG constantly and had to track my fluids in Liters. I no longer have to do that, but it was handy knowledge to gain. It made so much more sense than the US system. I know this will never happen in my lifetime, but the US really needs to switch. If all the hospitals and research centers in the US use the metric system, why can't the rest of our population? 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

MFP assumes your calorie goal doesn't include your calories burned from workouts, it's closer to your BMR not your TDEE. 

This is correct.  I can try to give a more detailed answer - but here is the short story as well as I understand it:

MFP uses the Miffin St. Jeor Equation to calculate BMR.  Then it adds a percentage to that based on what you say your level of activity is.  Then you add your activities that are outside your activity level.

18 hours ago, Grymm said:

I don't use MFP to log exercises.  A lot of exercise logging is grossing inaccurate.

MFP has my weight training at 260 per hour, slightly less than strolling or "walking an anklebiter-sized dog."

MFP says not only would I burn more calories walking a dog - I would also have better luck with the ladies.

18 hours ago, Grymm said:

So if you are logging what you eat which is not super accurate and then add calories from inaccurate exercise logging, you have HIGHLY inaccurate values.

I have a continuous record going back to nearly the beginning of the year.  The difference between what MFP predicts I should weigh and what I actually weigh is about 25 pounds.  So MFP gets it wrong for me by 1 pound per week, or approximately 500 Calories per day.

1 hour ago, Steaky said:

How many ounces in a pound?

16 - unless you are talking about Troy Ounces.  But I highly doubt you are talking about gold and silver.

18 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm only familiar with it because of my medical stuff and I used to get weighed in KG constantly and had to track my fluids in Liters. I no longer have to do that, but it was handy knowledge to gain. It made so much more sense than the US system. I know this will never happen in my lifetime, but the US really needs to switch. If all the hospitals and research centers in the US use the metric system, why can't the rest of our population? 

A friend of mine who is a mechanic gave me this explanation:  The metric system is easier once you are used to it.  However, US industry is never going to switch.

If I were to make a bet:  MM uses metric units.

It does not matter that much to me.  I just wish I had a dollar for every time I use 0.0254 in a calculation.

• Like 4

I work for a Swiss company as an engineer, so I flip back and forth pretty easily.  For any calculations involving acceleration and gravity, I tend to use metric.  The law is F=MA, not F = M*A/Gc.

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

You're never going to double your bodyweight in protein with those tiny meals!  Onward and upward on the deadlight leader boards!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grymm said:

F = M*A/Gc

I am going to have to look this one up.  I always use F=ma.  But, I studied Electrical Engineering, so....

F = IL x B

I use metric constants and conversion factors on both sides of the equation.

5 minutes ago, Grymm said:

You're never going to double your bodyweight in protein with those tiny meals!

This scared me for a while - then I realized you must mean two times body weight in kilograms.  I use 1.8, so 1.8 x 90 = 162.

I consider bodyweight in pounds = grams of protein kind of out there and consider it an upper limit.  Two times for me would be about 400 g.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I am going to have to look this one up.  I always use F=ma.  But, I studied Electrical Engineering, so....

Gc is the gravitational constant (32.2ft/s2).  That's how 1lb mass becomes 1lb force at 1g.  [1lbf = 1lbm*32.2ft/s2/32.2ft/s2]  When you start calculating stresses and tensions in moving and accelerating systems, keeping track of when to use it and when to not is infuriating.  Anyway, unrelated to thread.

11 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

This scared me for a while - then I realized you must mean two times body weight in kilograms.  I use 1.8, so 1.8 x 90 = 162.

I consider bodyweight in pounds = grams of protein kind of out there and consider it an upper limit.  Two times for me would be about 400 g.

That was actually a joke.  I eat about 200g of protein a day and Redstone only weighs about 105lbs.  If she ate my diet, it'd be 2g/lb.  For kg, yeah, that's about right.

• Like 3