• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Redstone Crafts a Map & Builds a Well

32 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

A friend of mine who is a mechanic gave me this explanation:  The metric system is easier once you are used to it.  However, US industry is never going to switch.

If I were to make a bet:  MM uses metric units.

It does not matter that much to me.  I just wish I had a dollar for every time I use 0.0254 in a calculation.

I just wish they would have done something like make metric bolts 8 sided instead of 6, so it's impossible to try with the wrong wrench.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

This scared me for a while - then I realized you must mean two times body weight in kilograms.  I use 1.8, so 1.8 x 90 = 162.

I consider bodyweight in pounds = grams of protein kind of out there and consider it an upper limit.  Two times for me would be about 400 g.

16 minutes ago, Grymm said:

That was actually a joke.  I eat about 200g of protein a day and Redstone only weighs about 105lbs.  If she ate my diet, it'd be 2g/lb.  For kg, yeah, that's about right.

To throw a kink in all your wrenches I eat 1g per # of lean mass vs total mass. But I know we have discussed this previously. Plus I would admittedly eat more if my dietitian wasn't convinced I was going to give myself gout. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I work for a Swiss company as an engineer, so I flip back and forth pretty easily.  For any calculations involving acceleration and gravity, I tend to use metric.  The law is F=MA, not F = M*A/Gc.

You're never going to double your bodyweight in protein with those tiny meals!  Onward and upward on the deadlight leader boards!

..You're an engineer too? We have so many! No idea how I missed this. We should so have some kind of group. thing. something.

Yeah I always thought pound force vs. pound weight was silly. I wish we would go metric, but I doubt it'll happen.

I know in my kind of engineering, all the contractors would pitch a fit, because everything is based on ft3.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Yeah I always thought pound force vs. pound weight was silly.

I thought it was pound force (lbf) vs pound mass (lbm) and I also thought pound mass was invented for convenience.  We don't distinguish, but context generally dictates.  So if I order 6000 pounds of wire, I obviously mean mass.  So length times area times density and I skip the gravitational constants.  (Never mind length is more important, but I want a certain number of feet or meters and they bill by the pound.)

Meanwhile on COMEX, copper is priced by the pound.  I have not looked into how it works, say, in London.

Meanwhile on NF, COMEX is spelled different and means something completely different.

Meanwhile at work, the winding foreman asked me if 9 AWG was big enough, so I have to look up what it means and get an area and make a judgement.  There is another crazy system. :P

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elvenengineer said:

I know in my kind of engineering, all the contractors would pitch a fit, because everything is based on ft3.

I'll withhold comment on contractors, structural engineers, and architects for now.  I work on elevators, though, so generally not dealing with civil engineers.

The US will never go metric.  Most Americans can't name the 50 states.  A lot of people can barely make change for a dollar.  Switching units is like learning another language, something we are also extremely poor at and don't value.  Behind closed doors, people who math for a living will continue to gravitate toward metric and let the masses do as they will.  I consider my self bi-measural - adept at using two systems of measurement.  Bi-dimensional has some existing connotation. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I'll withhold comment on contractors, structural engineers, and architects for now.  I work on elevators, though, so generally not dealing with civil engineers.

The US will never go metric.  Most Americans can't name the 50 states.  A lot of people can barely make change for a dollar.  Switching units is like learning another language, something we are also extremely poor at and don't value.  Behind closed doors, people who math for a living will continue to gravitate toward metric and let the masses do as they will.  I consider my self bi-measural - adept at using two systems of measurement.  Bi-dimensional has some existing connotation. 

Be nice to structural engineers :P lol

I also work for a European based company, so that's... interesting.

They never learned the rhyme?! Sad.

I used to be bi-lingual... I want it back. Planning on adding it to my challenge after the one that we're in the zero week for. June is just too fraught.

6 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I thought it was pound force (lbf) vs pound mass (lbm) and I also thought pound mass was invented for convenience.  We don't distinguish, but context generally dictates.  So if I order 6000 pounds of wire, I obviously mean mass.  So length times area times density and I skip the gravitational constants.  (Never mind length is more important, but I want a certain number of feet or meters and they bill by the pound.)

That's what I meant. Mass, not weight. I apparently need a nap lol.

That was the most confusing part of college for me. A lot of the professors aren't from the US, so they would do everything in metric. Then I'd go to my engineering job, and everything's in pounds/feet. Except the US teachers, who would do a mix. *sigh*

..You're an engineer too? We have so many! No idea how I missed this. We should so have some kind of group. thing. something.

Yeah I always thought pound force vs. pound weight was silly. I wish we would go metric, but I doubt it'll happen.

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest! It was a jarring day when I realized how many systems go into lifting and nutrition... And I'm grateful to have all of you around to ask my stupid questions lol

(Also miss my mechanical engineers from the old factory job. Love those boys and their confusing antics!!)

1f491d0507393862fe8d7219ea70154a.jpg

Incidentally, the bulk of what I understand out of this conversation is that I should be weighing 162#... So... Steak? ;)

Sent from somewhere in the universe

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Incidentally, the bulk of what I understand out of this conversation is that I should be weighing 162#... So... Steak? ;)

Steak is always a good idea.

17 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

And potatoes?  Get your bulk on?  Think about the gainz!

• Like 1

And potatoes?  Get your bulk on?  Think about the gainz!

This is very much what needs to happen right now :P I'm stuck at the auto service joint and all this talk of complicated equations and steak and potatoes officially have me gnawing on the walls. Tbh they're a little dry...

(Wah wah waaaah)

• Like 1

What have I started? All this off topic engineer stuff because I shared a recipe with a moderate slab of beef in it & my inability to use imperial weights below a pound? 

Even though the UK is officially metric and has been for 40 odd years, I can use both in most situations. There are times I prefer metric (mostly for fine accuracy in measuring) & times I prefer imperial (mostly speed & short distance where accuracy isn't important ie "x is 10 yards away") 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steaky said:

What have I started? All this off topic engineer stuff because I shared a recipe with a moderate slab of beef in it & my inability to use imperial weights below a pound? 

Even though the UK is officially metric and has been for 40 odd years, I can use both in most situations. There are times I prefer metric (mostly for fine accuracy in measuring) & times I prefer imperial (mostly speed & short distance where accuracy isn't important ie "x is 10 yards away") 

HAHAHA oh how I love nerds. Personally, I'm more of an art and theater type nerd, but anytime the math nerds wanna come out and try to explain, I'm all dumb ears! (Which is why it would be great to use metric for everything - multiples of tens? Even I get that...)

It's just about recipe o'clock tho, I must say. Sometimes I get totally derailed by the silliest thing and ever since that nonsense yesterday I feel like I don't know how to cook or eat anymore :P I'm kinda feeling that whole - you're not allowed to eat anything - feeling creep in so I need to collect some happy fun recipes pronto and nip that in the bud. Just picked up a little magazine for summer recipes and more than welcome any suggestions no matter what kind of tangent they may cause...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

To throw a kink in all your wrenches I eat 1g per # of lean mass vs total mass. But I know we have discussed this previously. Plus I would admittedly eat more if my dietitian wasn't convinced I was going to give myself gout. 

Wait, are we getting close to something I can understand? As in... 1g protein for each of my #s everyday??? Or am I missing something else here...

• Like 1

I cook using metric (as a guide). Have a bunch of recipes that list using both, will type up a few of my favourites at the weekend for you

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steaky said:

I cook using metric (as a guide). Have a bunch of recipes that list using both, will type up a few of my favourites at the weekend for you

Metric is good! My scale does both. YAY! We should do some recipe swaps :D 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Metric is good! My scale does both. YAY! We should do some recipe swaps :D 

So does ours. I prefer metric, it's easier. The wife grew up learning to cook & bake with imperial from her mother (who was born in the post war years, before we adopted the metric system). So been teaching her the metric & she tends to switch between the two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

MFP says not only would I burn more calories walking a dog - I would also have better luck with the ladies.

16 - unless you are talking about Troy Ounces.  But I highly doubt you are talking about gold and silver.

It does not matter that much to me.  I just wish I had a dollar for every time I use 0.0254 in a calculation.

Finally reading through everything I missed today more carefully... thanks Sam. I really needed that :onthego:

• Like 3

On 6/9/2016 at 9:26 AM, Sam Ashen said:

If I were to make a bet:  MM uses metric units.

Sometimes? But it's actually mostly IPS.

We also use stupid units like in H2O instead of something normal like psi. But we also use those fairly interchangeably.  Which is also annoying.

On 6/9/2016 at 9:55 AM, Grymm said:

Gc is the gravitational constant (32.2ft/s2).  That's how 1lb mass becomes 1lb force at 1g.  [1lbf = 1lbm*32.2ft/s2/32.2ft/s2]  When you start calculating stresses and tensions in moving and accelerating systems, keeping track of when to use it and when to not is infuriating.  Anyway, unrelated to thread.

Yes, incredibly infuriating. I've spent countless hours translating unit systems.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:34 AM, Sam Ashen said:

I thought it was pound force (lbf) vs pound mass (lbm) and I also thought pound mass was invented for convenience.

Actually the "slug" is the convenient unit where 32.2 lbm = 1 slug. So

1 lbf  = 32.2 lbm * ft / s2

or

1 lbf = 1 slug * ft / s2

Spoiler

6HPdPHV.png

• Like 5

Wow the last few days got out of hand quickly! My parents are coming up today, last minute, to stay the weekend, so I've been hustling to get the place together and myself together lol. Also had a lunch date today with some girlfriends, including one that just got back from Denmark so I didn't want to cancel... so, gymed earlier than usual, epic all the meats lunch/walking and window shopping, and now I have an hour or so to decom before my parental guests arrive.  

Getting over yesterday's fudz drama and had a good breakfast today, greek yogurt and a fried banana. Deadlift day felt on point, I was in a rush so mini core and no cardio, but already did some walking and will be doing lots more this weekend. Guess I'm gonna have to update my challenge on Sunday or even Monday even at this rate... anyways.

~Deadlift~

1X5 115# OH

1X5 125# OH

1X5 135# MX

1X5 145# MX

1X5 155# MX

1X5 135# MX

2X5 135# STR

~Seconds~

2X5 45# Reverse Grip Rows (forearm pain, made a switch)

2X5 55# Bent Rows

1X5 65# Bent Rows

3X15 20# Wide grip BB curls

3X15 5# DB curls - easier this time! ready for 10# next week

3X15 5# DB Hammer curls - also ready to move up

3X15 Hyper Extensions ~SS~ 3X15 Straight Lat Pulldown 30# (time to move up)

1X15 Lat Side Pulls 5# DB (Bad idea)

2X15 Lat Side Pulls Strength Band

~Core~

15X Vertical toe touch

30X Dead Bugs

15sec Side Planks

15 Sec Elbow Plank

So today really was a solid day for lower weight/looking at form. Deadlifts felt controlled and intentional (as opposed to those unintentional DLs that happen said no one ever :P), and all in all was happy with the session tho I had to cut it short.

Unfortunately I've been falling behind on everyone's threads so I'll be doing some back reading to catch up for Week 1! hope you're all gearing up for a sweet weekend. Here are some highlights from this morning in the meantime...

So this exists apparently...

All the meats post lift!

RLdURpql.jpg

Biten pop tart plushies???

cAmhbukl.jpg

• Like 9