• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

UnquietBones

UnquietBones does ALL the Things! (var ALL = "some";)

Mountains-and-Teaspoons-Heraldic-Shield-*picks up [ awesome placeholder of awesomeness ] and places it gently to the side* Hello again! :D

Last challenge was a combination GREAT SUCCESS! and MASSIVE FAILURE! so I've decided to go with what works and whatever is chosen as this month's mini by the guild leaders shall be my #1 Important Thing of Important-ness. The only requirement is that I pick something hard out of the options available so I can hopefully make great strides in some new areas. :)

I have the after hours on-call phone for work for the next two weeks, so that limits things that I can do, but I'll work around that! (Because I am quite stubborn.) ((Don'tchaknow :lol:))

[[ goals go here ]]

1. Mini All That I Can Be!

The mini was such an awesome experience last time, I am going to make it my primary focus this time. I am going to pick something hard (but doable) and I am going to Assassin the heck out of it! :D:lol:

FIREFLY MINI!!!! *dies of fandom squee* ... *gets back up* 

8.gif

Then go about familiarizing yourself with the ship.  Wander around and learn the layout.  You’ll need to know where to go if something goes wrong.  (Walk/run a total of 100 miles for all crew members combined)

2. Logging My Life

Logging was apparently the thing that made the biggest difference last challenge, because I could see my progress even on the days when I felt like I accomplished nothing. So this challenge I'm going to log... ALL THE THINGS! 

Well, okay, some of the things.

Basically anything that brings me closer to being an Assassin of Awesome Assassin-y-ness, which includes anything that makes me healthier (food, exercise) and happier (creative stuffs, successful Adult'ing). I'm going to use the filler week to hammer out what I want to track, so it may be a bit random to start with. I'm still learning this whole challenges-that-work-for-me end of things. :)

3. Make Bad Choices on Purpose

That sounds silly, doesn't it? But when I do things that aren't bringing me closer to being an Assassin of Awesome Assassin-y-ness, I want it to be on purpose. I want eating food that is bad for me, and being sedentary, and letting the grey gloomy monster of NotGoodEnough take over my brain to be a conscious thing. I know this will take practice, but it's practice I think I need. So, onwards!

[[[ and whatnot ]]]

Accountability and Art

I need to post art and writing here so I feel like I owe it to someone to finish. Not sure why, but that works for my brain. So this shall be the thread of silliness (and possibly XKCD comic spam. Because reasons.)

[[[ posting now because I don't want to forget my title joke ]]]

[[[[[ There are 10 types of people in the world and only one of them laughs at binary jokes ]]]]]

• Like 7

In for the whatnots :)

Oh and btw if you ever need cooking numbers again... making your own elderberry syrup takes way longer than expected ;) so totally to be recommended

And whatever your whatnots I sincerely hope I'm not pitched against you in the next mini. You're an awesome team mate to have!

• Like 2

I still haven't figure out my goals, but logging stuff while I think of things! :D

Walking

1.5mph 32 min on the treadmill comptroller playing Barony with friends - this is tiring, but not horrible. I need to start doing some time trials and figure out how hard it will be to up the speed. I'd love to get back to 3mph!

Cooking/Meal Diary

Breakfast - muffin-shaped granola bar (made last challenge)

Lunch - 3 Arby's sliders and half a large fry

Dinner - Chicken Red Curry with Rice

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_peel_and_chop_ginger/ -- yeah gonna save this for another day, ran out of time! :(

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/85815/thai-red-chicken-curry/ - bok choy, zuchinni, orange bell pepper. Added to sauce peanut butter, fish sauce, and dark brown sugar per other recipe tweak suggestions. FAIL by not measuring rice to water ratio and thus overcooking the curry a bit because I couldn't figure out why the rice cooker wasn't finishing. So the rice is mushy and the zuchinni is mushy (which is okay with me, but a FAIL for hubby's tastes). Boo. Oh well.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10813/best-chocolate-chip-cookies/  I had a third of this recipe in the fridge because I wanted to test an internet theory that doing so makes it easier to make cookie balls. Edit: Okay, no. If I make them into balls the inside doesn't cook all the way hard. Arg. Okay so I will try again with the next batch to smoosh them into circles. (I'm doing eight cookies at a time.) I'm putting the not-done ones back in at 300 to see if I can get them to harden up.

Kicking the Caffine Addiction

No Diet Coke - WIN!

No caffeine after WIN!

CREATIVE BITS!

Writing - I got the blog page for Tales of the Drunken Unicorn done and all the posts linked in, but it looks like none of the larger WiPs are actually posted yet. I was rereading things yesterday to prep for Three Tequila, Floor, but both Slaying the Princess and Werewolf Sick Days are pretty much done. So hmm, I think I'm going to swap back over to writing things in chronological order. *pokes*

Committing ART! - The Hello Borgy (LeCuteis) and The Imperial Guard Penguin are done! :)  I just have to get good photos and tweak the clay in the penguin's flipped that holds the pegs for the weaponry. Then they are off to their homes and I can work on the next project! :)

Guard-and-Borg-all-done.jpg

Imperial-Guard-Penguin.jpgHello-Borgy.jpg

Adult'ing List

To-Done List - Two loads of laundry

Bedtimes 8:30pm (M,T) / 9:30pm (W,T,F) - Sort of... I was in bed, but goofing on the laptop until past 9 :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

Following for binary jokes and good times!

I have so many coding jokes. I blame XKCD. *solemn nod*

11 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

In for the whatnots :)

Oh and btw if you ever need cooking numbers again... making your own elderberry syrup takes way longer than expected ;) so totally to be recommended

And whatever your whatnots I sincerely hope I'm not pitched against you in the next mini. You're an awesome team mate to have!

Good grief, I think I'd make elderberry charcoal! :P (My skillz, they are not as skillful as all that quiet yet :lol:)

In my defense, I was in an awesome team of awesomeness and was just trying to keep up! :lol: Can't wait for the new challenge... I say it's everyone vs. @Trewest, it's the only way we'll win! ;) hehehe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UnquietBones said:

I have so many coding jokes. I blame XKCD. *solemn nod*

Good grief, I think I'd make elderberry charcoal! :P (My skillz, they are not as skillful as all that quiet yet :lol:)

Oh it's not difficult, it just takes time... the only thing I am really proud of is that the elderberry is from my garden, yay

1 minute ago, UnquietBones said:

In my defense, I was in an awesome team of awesomeness and was just trying to keep up! :lol: Can't wait for the new challenge... I say it's everyone vs. @Trewest, it's the only way we'll win! ;) hehehe

It was a totally awesome team and I'm not even sure we'd defeat Trewest even then :D she is just something else and very special.

Curious to see your goals emerge :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

What art do you do?

*deep breath*

Painting model horses (1:32 scale and down, normally, but I do the larger ones sometime), resculpting model horses, sculpting things to plaster and aluminum cast, making silicon caulk molds for plaster casting,aluminum casting (once I rebuild the smelter), making magnets from said plaster casts, making grass and sand display bases for the model horses, making fencing, props, and tack for the model horses, webcomics! Erm, drawing things on paper, coloring said things on the computer... More stuff I can't think of right now. :lol:

Corgiloafs-300x186.jpgSupplies-to-Make-Stablemate-Scale-CavalePrepping-Breyer-Mini-Whinnies-300x192.jp

Dun-Frame-Overo-Leaping-War-Pony-HangingEscape-Velocity-Angle-768x912.jpgCasting a Complex Octopus

Camera-Angles-Strip-005-2016-Reboot.jpg

• Like 2

Cooking fail, so much fail-- I ended up spending an hour and a half cooking a 20min meal (and it turned out as well as you'd expect, but I still thought it was yummy). Why couldn't I have epic failures like this during the mini! :lol:

Anywho, that totally ate into the time I had set aside for everything else, so I got less walking and writing done than I had planned. ...Which probably goes to the point that I shouldn't keep putting things off when I get home because 'I'll have time later'. (Doh)

Oh well, new day, new plans! *goes off to make new plans*

• Like 2

I feel you! When I took ages on a new IS training session I would comfort myself by the fact of it at least giving minutes for the mini and felt a little less like a loser :D

Happy new plans, new day new plan is always a good idea already!

• Like 2

Random art inspiration for when I get a chance to get at my workbench... a horse evolution! :) (Always fun to see how the tiny changes eventually add up to a good end result!)

Animated-Portrait-Horse-Dandy.gif

EDIT: There are waaaay too many awesome people on these forums doing incredibly impressive things-- I MUST LEARN TO AWESOME.

EDIT EDIT: Learning how not to overcommit would also be helpful.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Because reasons

• Like 2

Log all the things... until I can figure out which are the important things

Walking

I'm feeling a bit dizzy and under the weather, so no walking today (boo! :( ) This does, apparently, translate into lot of forum posting/stalking so if all else fails I've found a bunch of new amazing people to follow and a bunch of new things I want to learn to do someday! :)

Cooking/Meal Diary

Breakfast - muffin-shaped granola bar (made last challenge)

Lunch - 3 soft taco supremes from Taco Bell

Dinner - Leftover baked potato (with cheese and sour cream) and no cooking, re: not feeling well

No Diet Coke - WIN! (and I am awesome because I almost gave in and had a soda at lunch, but then rallied and refused)

No caffeine after 5pm - WIN!

Adult'ing List

To-Done List - Err, I went to work and was a functional adult? ;) That counts, right?  (ie. I did nothing after I got home. omg)

Bedtimes 8:30pm (M,T) / 9:30pm (W,T,F) - Come heck or high water, I'm pulling this off tonight...

CREATIVE BITS!

Writing - Because the inner editor insisted, revised the first part of the short story and came in just a smidge over my 100 word a day goal. Still, victory! (And now I'm in a better place to continue on to Part 2)

Committing ART! - Got the borg photographed, but I nicked the penguin's arm while adding more wax clay to his holding flipper hole and he has to dry again before I can do weapon photos (boo!)

Shameless art & magnet spam...

Hello-Kitty-Lifecycle.jpg

Hello Kitty Lifecycle (Super Sculpey, Resin Cast, Resin Cast and Epoxy, Borg!)

Flock-Together.jpg

Badly-painted Penguin waiting for cosplay, Penguin in Cosplay

And the Word War Z badges are scanned... now to make them actual Badges! :D

Badges-Mockup.jpg

Waylaid-by-Pirates-Badge-150.jpg Oh no! Your wordcount has been waylaid by pirates!!

Zombies-Ate-My-Wordcount-Badge-150.jpgZOMBIES ATE MY WORDCOUNT! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ninja-Vanish-Badge-150.jpgNinja VANISH! (Your wordcount has been kidnapped by Ninjas, you bring dishonor on your novel!

• Like 2

I know the "being on call" issues all too well. It can seriously limit your activity options! Keep fighting the good fight :D LOVE the horse model painting! I was sure that horse was going to be chestnut. Beautiful.

• Like 1

So much awesomeness in this thread already! I am jealous of the art skills! Following because: stalking from the internet isn't illegal yet........ (at least I think). And for Binary jokes. =P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colourswift said:

I know the "being on call" issues all too well. It can seriously limit your activity options! Keep fighting the good fight :D LOVE the horse model painting! I was sure that horse was going to be chestnut. Beautiful.

Just wait till I start posting the blue appaloosas! ;)  (And at least the on-call rotation is only 2 weeks, I think I'd go stir crazy if it was longer! :P)

2 hours ago, Akuyo said:

So much awesomeness in this thread already! I am jealous of the art skills! Following because: stalking from the internet isn't illegal yet........ (at least I think). And for Binary jokes. =P

Forum stalking is totally encouraged! :lol: And I will have to up my binary joke skillz now... doh!

• Like 1

Oh good grief the follow options on these forums confuse the heck out me! I tried following people, but I just can't keep up-- so back to following threads instead (boo!). Oh well. *hops about changing her preferences*

I took a 'short nap' when I got home... and lost the rest of the night. 4pm to 7:35pm is not what I was intended, but apparently what my brain needed. Oh well. :P I had an on-call call at 1:30-2am last night for a very stupid did-not-need-to-call-me reason and then a very long semi-stressful meeting at work (large crowds, small places) and I think I just ran out of spoons. So it's 8:23pm, I'm finishing dinner and hopefully have a little bit of time to play! :)

Week Zero Mini Challenge (June 8 - June 11)

I have zero idea if I can even do a Russian Twist or a Superman, but I'll be finding out after dinner! ... EDIT: lmao, nope! :D  But this is so much fun to try! I'm pretty hopeless on both moves, but I think some of that is just that I am a giant ball of not-flexible, so I'm trying to find ways to get from where I am to where I can do one of each in a decent fashion before the challenge is over. 

Walking

Hoping for time after dinner (and mini challenge items)  EDIT: nope, ran out of time :(

Cooking/Meal Diary

Breakfast - hot fudge sundae pop tarts (not a good flavor) from the vending machine

Lunch - 1 Chick-fila sandwich, 1 Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich

Dinner - PF Chang's Shimp Lo Mein - ICK! Frozen bok choy is the most disgustingly mushy thing ever. Thankfully I had fresh bok choy left over from the curry so I threw in a bunch of that. MUCH BETTER. Will have to try making this 'for real' as the flavors were nice.

No Diet Coke - Fail, but only a 20oz that I grabbed because everything that broke at work this morning gave me a headache

Adult'ing List

To-Done List - I made dinner! Woot!

Bedtimes 8:30pm (M,T) / 9:30pm (W,T,F) - After a three hour nap, I'm going to stay up late. Phooey on it!

CREATIVE BITS!

Writing - Must. Avoid. Zombies! *writes just enough to qualify* Gah, ugly rough draft stage always makes me itch, but I need to get this on paper so I can go back with the editing chainsaw this weekend. :P

Committing ART! - Gave away the magnets today and they were received well (yay!) Probably won't get anything else done tonight.

1_to_10.png

Source: XKCD "If you get an 11/100 on a CS test, but you claim it should be counted as a 'C', they'll probably decide you deserve the upgrade."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, colourswift said:

What work do you do that requires you to be on call?? If you don't mind me asking.

I am *dramatic music*... technical support! If the frontline of battle support can't fix a thing, they call us and we fix the things. Or we asses the situation, figure out it's not our part of the system and start calling the other folks who can fix the things. Technically I'm a developer, but the times when emergency code fixes are required are few and far between (thank goodness!). My speed coding is still not up to snuff. :P  (I should add that as a mini-challenge one of these times...)

Good looking zero week so far! I find it way too confusing to follow people, it just puts too many threads in my notifications, so I just follow threads. It's rather low tech, but I actually just keep a list on a post-it note of people I "follow" so I can check up on what they are up to. I'm sure there's probably a better way, but I'm lazy :P At least sometimes the post-it note is a virtual one, that makes it more nerdly, right?

My favorite way to practice supermans is to lie on your stomach and just lift the torso, then just lift the legs. You can do sets of each or you can alternate. It builds the strength slowly, so there's more lower back protection (I had a lower back spasm about a year and a half ago, and I still baby it). Russian twists took me a long time to be able to do with my feet in the air, I think it's just general ab work that gets them up. One variation I've seen is just having the tips of your toes on the ground, so you have a little more support, but you also are activating the abs/legs more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Thank you for that Ze Frank video, UB. I needed it.

It's my favorite go-to for when I need some oomph to my motivation/mood! :)

8 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

My favorite way to practice supermans is to lie on your stomach and just lift the torso, then just lift the legs. You can do sets of each or you can alternate. It builds the strength slowly, so there's more lower back protection (I had a lower back spasm about a year and a half ago, and I still baby it). Russian twists took me a long time to be able to do with my feet in the air, I think it's just general ab work that gets them up. One variation I've seen is just having the tips of your toes on the ground, so you have a little more support, but you also are activating the abs/legs more.

Ooo, I shall have to try that with the supermans. My back is not that happy with me today (I was honestly thinking it was going to be worse) so anything to moderate it is probably a good idea. I'm just having fun trying with that min-mini challenge, my goal is to just have a number to put in! :lol:

Alright, enough playing around in the Wordwar Z spreadsheet reformatting things-- I need to get something done that isn't a spreadsheet! :lol:

EDIT: WORK OMG. So, erm, yes... have not gotten a chance to do anything because work called and I must CODE LIKE THE WIND! (Not really true, I just had to verify that a data fix program I wrote a while ago is still good to run, and then run it. But still. CODING. *makes mysterious hand motions*

EDITEDIT: Just got finished with the work and it's 9:45pm! :(:(  No time to do anything today... I really needed to have hit the treadmill instead of the forums when I got home. :(

Week Zero Mini Challenge (June 8 - June 11)

New ideas on how to try these, will get to them after dinner. pending... Nope, ran outta time. :(

Walking

About to go hop on and do some time trials! :D pending... Nope, ran outta time. :(

Cooking/Meal Diary

Breakfast - nothing - booo!

Lunch - 2 Taco Bell flatbreads (one chicken, on beef) - eh, they are okay

Dinner - Hamburgers frozen from the last challenge, tater tots, and grilled zuchinni-- YUM! :D (technically pending...)

No Diet Coke - WIN! :D:D:D (I'm starting to get the hang of this... :lol:)

Adult'ing List

To-Done List - pending... Nope, ran outta time. :(

Bedtimes 8:30pm (M,T) / 9:30pm (W,T,F) - pending... Nope, work kept me up late :(

CREATIVE BITS!

Writing - pending... Nope, ran outta time. :(

Committing ART! - pending... Nope, ran outta time. :(