Respawning, Rowing, and Rangering

The last challenge (and frankly the two before that as well) have pittered out rather pathetically for me.  Some family drama I've been dealing with somehow morphed into my spiraling into a super-down-on-myself-really-dark-time, the likes of which I haven't had to deal with since high school.  I've been treating myself so poorly, eating awful foods, not sleeping, not cleaning, not meditating, etc etc.  Though somehow I've managed to continue lifting through this (I guess that habits locked in haha) which is a positive.  I physically and mentally feel awful.  Over the weekend I caught myself.  I knew I was not doing well but I hadn't realized how much time had gone by since I started letting myself have "a break" from my routines.  Then I ate 3 White Chocolate Linder Truffles (I HATE WHITE CHOCOLATE I THINK IT'S VOMIT WORTHY DISGUSTING WTF) just because they were there and I kind of saw what I was doing to myself and had a reality check moment.  I realized how much I missed my nerds and how much I missed my routines and how I was totally making up my anxiety that you guys would judge me for falling off the wagon.  So, I did an overhaul of my routine and my goals and instead of trying to distract myself from my problems (which is what I've been doing for the past couple of challenges causing me to ghost out) I'm going to use this challenge to gently ease back into things with super simple and straight forward goals, the number one goal being accountability and brainspace check-ins daily.  So be warned, there might be a lot headspace stuffs going on here over the next five weeks!

And then onto the fun goal!  I have been trying to get through Zombies, Run! 5k for over 2 years.  I just can't freakin' do it.  I HATE running.  I've gone through this a few times where I think once I'm fitter I'll try again, and maybe I won't hate it so much, and hit some in-better-shape bench mark and try again, and I just can't.  I dread it.  It makes me hate going to the gym or going outside depending on where I'm running.  But over the last week I've discovered rowing!  I know a bunch of rangers do it and I can't believe I haven't tried it before now but I LOVE IT!  The main reason for me trying to get into running is because of how much I love the Zombies, Run! plot.  Solution?  RANGER THAT SH*T AND TURN IT INTO ZOMBIES ROW!  I'm basically envisioning that the entire plot of Zombies Run is happening in a swamp, where I have to row away from zombies treading through the water, instead of running away from them.  Kinda like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNlLewzoh-UKC9qulxep4

but more rowing less poking with sticks.

I'm going to start out with a 3 minute split time for "walking" and a 2:40 split time for "running" on a 4.5 resistance and see where it takes me.  Maybe by the end of the program I'll have a halfway decent 5k race time!  Right now I am slowwwwwwwwwwwww so I know even those speeds will be a challenge. 

I also want to make it a point to go outside with intention every day.  It can be anywhere from 30 seconds and up, but I have to be outside with the intent of being outside, not darting between meetings, or running out to the grocery store.  I will acknowledge that I am outside for a reason, because that is where humans are really meant to be, I will breathe the air, and I will take the time to enjoy it.  I can expand this into a walk, a hike, reading a book outside, choosing to walk to a meeting instead of driving, whatever.  Just something that isn't otherwise necessary and will bring me the happiness that being outdoors brings.

TL;DR - GOALZ

1) Accountability: Post on this thread every damn day.  EVERY DAMN DAY! Address what I've done (or haven't done) that day and my current headspace.  This can be a quick "things are good" on tapatalk or a verbose essay about how I feel about my dinner (this probably won't happen).  Maybe even a screen shot of my Google Fit profile from the day.  I don't care, just something, every day. 

2) Zombies, Row: Use the Zombies, Run app with the erg! 2x/week at minimum.

3) Find Joy Outside: Go outside with intent every day. Any amount of time will do, it's the intent that matters.

I'll be continuing with my strong lifts, but I don't think I need to track that specifically.  I'll probably mention it in my daily updates but beyond that I'm pretty locked in on that habit... considering it was the ONLY one I managed to maintain during the last few months of spiraling off the wagon.

Also, as I am pretty excited about this and I'm SO READY to get the momentum going, I'll be starting this challenge during zero week and continuing on through to the end of the next challenge.  Tally ho! Swamp zombies, here I come!

• Like 25

Following along for headspace and swamp jokes!

s1222.gif

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Awesome challenge, love the Zombies, Row! idea. Following along.

Also, meant to say on your last thread; congrats on the DL PR.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

f9a55f1672860b37d6a6f7de4b117521.jpg

6 minute morning yoga + 10 minute headspace mediation this morning

25 minutes of walking this afternoon outside with intention. Man it was a seriously beautiful day.

Also yesterday I did the intro mission to zombies row and did 32 minutes on the erg at my own slow pace no pushing. Got about 3500m and had take two stretching breaks.

I really didn't want what I batch cooked tonight and was seconds away from ordering out but I convinced myself last minute to cook up some eggs with leftover potatoes and crab cakes. Threw on some hot sauce and it turned out awesome.

Slow and steady.

sent from the depths of the Ionian Nebula

• Like 8

Yay, new challenge! I'm excited to read your daily updates. :)

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

14 hours ago, Polgara19 said:

Yay! Zombies Row sounds awesome!

Thanks! I'm so pumped to hopefully finally move past the 5k and get to the REAL PLOT!

14 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

funny-animal-pictures-with-captions-008-  Following along for some epic swamp action!

oh my gosh.  MAYBE THERE ARE ALSO ZOMBIE GATORS.  The stuff nightmares are made of.

tumblr_n6kaa94eDQ1trt3p3o1_500.gif

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along for headspace and swamp jokes!

s1222.gif

87e951cef99b1a8f8dea01fc74a9e585.jpg

13 hours ago, Jarric said:

Awesome challenge, love the Zombies, Row! idea. Following along.

Also, meant to say on your last thread; congrats on the DL PR.

Thanks!! Hoping to get another one by the end of the month :D

11 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yay, new challenge! I'm excited to read your daily updates. :)

Thanks for following along! Knowing people are watching out for my daily updates will totally help me stay on top of it. 

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Here for food! For swampy things, and just to follow you ;)

:D:D Foooooood!

4 hours ago, sozzielou said:

Awesome goals! Simple yet effective. The erg is so much fun. If you use a Concept 2 rower, you should try the Go Fish game. It makes a great warm up and is fun too :-)

l2Jeio2n97D5life0.gif

THERE ARE GAMES?!?!?! I must check this out.

• Like 5

Zombies Row! What a great idea. You can pretend you're in the Left 4 Dead Swamp Fever level! 

Swamp-Fever-The-Plantation-left-4-dead-2

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I like where your head is at girl.  I have an urge to delete mine and copy and paste your challenge into my thread.  Accountability EVERY DAMN DAY is what I need.  It is what I fear. We fear most what we need most right?

• Like 4

Rangering since Sept 2015

This is awesome stuff, Raxie! I'm playing through Dying Light right now and it's a badass parkour zombie game. Your pic of Dead Island made me think of it...PLUS my love for zombies!!

Maybe you should recruit Swamp Thing to help you out??

swamp_thing_vs_zombies.jpg

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

4 hours ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

Following as always.

na2mhNx.gif

4 hours ago, deftona said:

Zombies Row! What a great idea. You can pretend you're in the Left 4 Dead Swamp Fever level! 

Ah haven't played that one BUT that info gives me more google juice for future zombie gifs! Woooot.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I like where your head is at girl.  I have an urge to delete mine and copy and paste your challenge into my thread.  Accountability EVERY DAMN DAY is what I need.  It is what I fear. We fear most what we need most right?

I'm nervous about this one too, which I think means its a good goal :]

2 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

7083962575_6cea351dca_o_d.jpg

screen480x480.jpeg

2 hours ago, doctorake said:

following

Awesome! Thanks :]

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

This is awesome stuff, Raxie! I'm playing through Dying Light right now and it's a badass parkour zombie game. Your pic of Dead Island made me think of it...PLUS my love for zombies!!

Maybe you should recruit Swamp Thing to help you out??

swamp_thing_vs_zombies.jpg

Wolf

+10 for the Dead Island catch!

And gahhh Swamp Thing!!! So genius.  One of my faves in the DCU I can't believe I didn't think of this!!

58 minutes ago, Shadri said:

Ah, beat me to it!! That's one of my favorites.

Anyway~

HEY YOU PHYSICS NERD! Following along for headspace support. We got dis. <3

Heyyyy!!!! Thanks for stopping in.  SO EXCITE to have more physics nerds in here!  @Mad Hatter is one too if I recall correctly. :D

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Swamp zombies watch out!

No Raxie brains for dinner tonight!

• Like 4

Week Zero: Tuesday

I can't remember if I mentioned this last challenge, but the boyfriend decided he wanted to Fly Lady with me (HE'S THE BEST) so we are starting over with baby steps that we will be doing together and keeping everything spick and span as a team effort.  I'm so excited to get moving on this. It's weird for me to be going back to the beginning with this, but learning to do this together and how to divvy up the tasks I think will be totally worth it in the long run. Anyway, due to my not-doing-so-great-ness happening we didn't end up actually doing it, so we actually go a move on with this on Sunday.  Last night was day 2 of the baby steps.  Typically I cook and he does the dishes, so he's just maintaining that task but knows that I rely on him doing that to complete my sink shining stuffs afterwards, and he'll keep an eye on me about shining the sink since he knows that's why he's making sure the sink is empty.  More accountability all around on that.  Shiny sinks FTW!

This morning I did a 15 minute morning yoga (a new one I hadn't done before that I absolutely LOVED!) and a Headspace meditation session.  Food has been good so far this week, eating mostly what I batch cooked with a random cook up last night of random things I had.  I still can't believe I didn't order out - I literally had added things to my cart in Seamless and my mouse was hovering over the "place order" button and I was all of a sudden like NOPE NOPE NOPE.  I don't know what pulled me back, but I'm thankful for it.  Crabalicious breakfast for dinner was pretty amazeballs (crab cakes + over easy eggs + left over baked potatoes turned into a hash type situation all mashed up) and came together really easily from a bunch of leftovers we had.

Tonight I am going to a Stephen King reading.  I'm SO PUMPED!  I actually wasn't really a big fan of his until recently when I read the Dark Tower series and fell in love.  I always figured he was just another mass production writer (the likes of James Patterson or something but with horror - no offense meant to JP fans, just totally not my style) but DAYUM he is actually a really good writer.  The DT series was the first set of books in a while that I can say had a profound effect on me.  I'm slowly making my way through all his books.  Anyway, he's doing a reading near me tonight and it sold out within a few hours so I'm so excited we were able to get in!  I love the bookstore running it, they also hosted a Christopher Moore Q&A/reading a few years ago that was amazing as well.  But anyway, that nixes SL tonight.  So I'll be shifting my schedule back a day and doing SL W/F/U.

In other news, my calves hurt SO BAD I think due to my rowing on Sunday.  It's not like soreness, it's just straight up pain.  I talked to my sister who is on crew, and she said it might have to do with my foot position.  I'll try to switch that up next time.  Maybe even do a few hundred meters without my feet strapped in to figure out how to use my feet less for the fold up.  For now, I need to massively foam roll my calves and shins tonight because seriouslyyyyy owwww.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Tonight I am going to a Stephen King reading.  I'm SO PUMPED!  I actually wasn't really a big fan of his until recently when I read the Dark Tower series and fell in love.  I always figured he was just another mass production writer (the likes of James Patterson or something but with horror - no offense meant to JP fans, just totally not my style) but DAYUM he is actually a really good writer.  The DT series was the first set of books in a while that I can say had a profound effect on me.  I'm slowly making my way through all his books.  Anyway, he's doing a reading near me tonight and it sold out within a few hours so I'm so excited we were able to get in!  I love the bookstore running it, they also hosted a Christopher Moore Q&A/reading a few years ago that was amazing as well.  But anyway, that nixes SL tonight.  So I'll be shifting my schedule back a day and doing SL W/F/U.

ARGH I am so jealous of this! I am a huge Stephen King fan and The Dark Tower is one of my favourite book series ever. You'll have an amazing time, I'll set my watch and warrant on it ;)

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

53 minutes ago, deftona said:

ARGH I am so jealous of this! I am a huge Stephen King fan and The Dark Tower is one of my favourite book series ever. You'll have an amazing time, I'll set my watch and warrant on it ;)

Gahhh seriously, so good.  Made me reevaluate how I approach books and reading and absorbing entertainment media in general.  I could go on for basically ever about it.

He'll be reading from End of Watch and I haven't read anything from the Bill Hodges series yet, but meh.  Couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Long days and pleasant nights :]

• Like 1

I haven't seen you this excited for a challenge in a long time. Set yourself to have some fun, while at the same time Rangering through excruciating DOMS.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 2016-06-06 at 3:04 PM, Raxie said:

I kind of saw what I was doing to myself and had a reality check moment.  I realized how much I missed my nerds and how much I missed my routines and how I was totally making up my anxiety that you guys would judge me for falling off the wagon. 

I had a moment just like that a few days ago, and here I am fresh and renewed.  Gonna be following you closely, Rax, because I think we're in a similar place right now, or at least coming from one similar enough.  Accountabilibuddies!

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Huh I feel exactly the same way about Stephen King as you did. Sounds like I need to give it another go!

I'm so impressed you didn't order out! That takes some major willpower. Kudos to you. :)

And be nice to your calves. More beating up of already angry tissues can just make it worse. If it works for you then go for the foam roller but at that acute stage at least I prefer rest and maybe a hot bath.