• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy Breaks Through the Wall

Main Quest: Get below the obese weight range, and hit a 200 lb deadlift, 150 lb squat, 100 lb bench press, and 75 lb overhead press.

Motivation: Move my body like I want to, and feel good about the way I look

There are several things I want to do physically that are really difficult because of my size. I want to do eagle pose in yoga, but my thighs get in the way. I want to climb pikes peak and sprint really fast, but I feel like how heavy I am really slows me down and makes this more difficult. I want to do a pull-up, but my strength to weight ratio is not great enough. Most of these will be easier the stronger I am and the less fat I have.

I also would really like to look good in cosplay sometime.

Last Time on Adventures With Grizzy: New Home, New Habits

• Set up most of my living space in my new home!
  • Cut out my soda habit once and (hopefully) for all!
  • Exercised every single day!
  • Approached my previous PRs on the deadlift, squat, bench press, and overhead press!
  • Tried yoga and decided to make it part of my routine!
  • Started tracking my food again!
  • Started eating more vegetables!
  • Lost 6 pounds!

This Episode
I'll be trying to surpass all of my previous PRs by at least 10% and weigh less than when I started the challenge. I would be pleased to drop under 200 pounds of bodyweight.

I've gotten really close to the point where in previous cycles of lifting, I have stopped because it got really, really hard. I want to push through those walls and get stronger while continuing to drop some fat. So I'll be focusing on lifting, proper nutrition, and other exercise that doesn't inhibit my recovery.

I would also like to keep up the good work from last time, so despite them not being part of this challenge, I'll report any slip-ups with soda and take measures to actively integrate vegetables into my life.

Stats
Sex: Female
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 204-ish; fluctuates
Squat: 120 lbs, previous PR 130 lbs
Deadlift: 160 lbs, previous PR 165 lbs
Bench: 80 lbs, previous PR 85 lbs
Overhead Press: 63 lbs, previous PR 65 lbs

Goals

Complete 10 or more lifting Sessions

I can't get stronger if I don't make an effort to get stronger!

Details:

• Starting Strength
  • Allows for up to 2 days rest between each session
  • Grading based on percentage out of 10

Strategy:
The best days for me to lift are Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday due to fuller schedules other days of the week. So I'll start out doing Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

I've found recently that I occasionally need more than one rest day between sessions in order to have adequate energy and not injure myself, but beyond 2 rest days is normally just me getting lazy, so even if I'm busy I NEED to lift after 2 rest days.

Loot:

• A punching bag for a grade of A
  • A pull-up bar for a grade of B

Track food, keeping a caloric deficit and a higher level of protein

If I'm going to gain strength and lose weight at the same time, my diet should be tuned to support this. Currently I average 1548 calories a day, which could be a little higher for my height and weight, and 80g protein per day, which I want to increase.

Details:

• Weekly caloric intake average of 1500-1750
  • Weekly protein average of at least 100g
  • Grading based on average of % differences from goals

Strategy:
I really like big dinners, so I've been successful in lowering my calories limiting breakfast and lunch to less than half my daily caloric intake, which allows me to have a dinner which I find satisfying.

I've been incorporating more protein-dense foods into my breakfasts to help with my protein intake. Yogurt or a green smoothie with protein powder mixed in is usually what I've been going for, and on occasion I'll have some kind of eggs.

I'm working on cuttin out more grains from lunch and dinner in order to make room for more protein. This has involved slowly developing an appreciation of salads over sandwiches or lettuce wraps over buns or zucchini noodles over penne.

Loot:

• A new pair of pants for an A.
  • A new t-shirt for a B.

Active recovery with walking and yoga
To burn more calories and get better recovery, I want to do some exercise everyday that won't detract from my lifts.

Details:

• Do either the morning mile or at least 20 minutes of yoga daily
  • Grading based on percent of days I did at least one of these

Strategy:
I'll do one of these in the morning before work, while my SO is in the shower. The timing works out really well, since all of them take 20 minutes.

Loot:

• A craigslist treadmill or yoga mat and yoga towel for a grade of A.
  • A new pair of sneakers for a grade of B.

Life Goals

Finish 4 books
I have an overall goal of finishing 52 books this year, and I've been slacking on my reading the last month or so. But I love reading! So it's time to pick it back up.

Details:

• The New Evolution Diet by Arthur De Vany
  • Deadline by Mira Grant
  • The Book Theif by Markus Zusak
  • Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson
  • Grading based on % of books finished

Strategy:
Deadline is an audiobook, which I've been listening to whenever I go for a walk alone and frequently at work when I have something mind-numbing to do. Finishing this won't be a struggle.
I'm less than 100 pages from finishing The New Evolution Diet, and I can finish it off with just a few reading sessions during breaks at work. I actually will probably be done with this before the official start-of-challenge.
I'll need to put more effort into finishing the last two, just because they are longer and I'm not far into them. If I can set aside 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night, I think I can finish both of them by the end of the challenge.

Loot:

• A new comic book collection book for an A.
  • A new single issue comic book for a C.

Break the Reddit/Imgur habit
I'm sad to say I'm addicted to Reddit and Imgur, and I don't derive much enjoyment from it. I want to quit.

Details:

• Every time I open a reddit or imgur tab out of habit, I should quit out immediately and record that I went to the website.
  • If I decide not to quit out, I need to record the time I start, when I stop, and the number of pages/posts I look at.
  • This will be pretty hard to record accurately, which I'm hoping will motivate me to avoid it just so that I don't have as much to track.

Loot:

• A movie date if I have stopped visiting both sites by the end of the challenge.

Mini-Quests

• Schedule a consultation for my wisdom teeth
  • Do registration for the cars
  • Walk or bike over to my friend's house
  • Take some progress photos and find previous photos for comparison
  • Finish 30 days of yoga from Yoga With Adriene
  • Finish the 30 day squat challenge
  • Do 50 consecutive squats
  • Go a full day without using the internet
  • Clean out my home office
  • Try one class each of these kinds of yoga: Mindful Resilience, Mat Pilates, Restorative
  • Like 3

Overall

Lifting:_/10 sessions.

Squat: _/143 lbs.

Bench: _/93.5 lbs.

Overhead: _/71.5 lbs.

Deadlift: _/181.5 lbs.

Yoga or Walking: _/28 days. (_ Yoga, _ Walking)

Average Daily calories:

Average Daily protein: 

Books Read: _/4

Imgur/Reddit: 

Zero Week

Lifting: 2 sessions, but they don't count toward the 10 sessions.

Squat: 130/143 lbs.

Bench: 80/93.5 lbs.

Overhead: 65/71.5 lbs.

Deadlift: 170/181.5 lbs.

Yoga or Walking: 6/6 days. (3 Yoga, 3 Walking)

Average Daily calories: 1742

Average Daily protein: 117g

Books Read: 1/4

Imgur/Reddit: Only a couple slip-ups autopiloting there all week, and I didn't linger on them at all. So far, so good!

Week 1

Lifting: 2 (or 4?)/10 sessions.

Squat: 140/143 lbs.

Bench: 80/93.5 lbs.

Overhead: 66/71.5 lbs.

Deadlift: 175/181.5 lbs.

Yoga or Walking: 7/28 days. (5 Yoga, 4 Walking)

Average Daily calories: 1617

Average Daily protein: 95g

Books Read: 2/4

Imgur/Reddit: good

Week 2

Lifting:2.5/10 sessions.

Squat: 145/143 lbs.

Bench: 85/93.5 lbs.

Overhead: 68/71.5 lbs.

Deadlift: 175/181.5 lbs.

Yoga or Walking: 7/28 days. (5 Yoga, 1 Walking)

Average Daily calories: 1792

Average Daily protein: 96

Books Read:4/4

Imgur/Reddit: Good

Week 3

Average Daily calories:

Average Daily protein:

Imgur/Reddit: 

Week 4

Average Daily calories:

Average Daily protein:

Imgur/Reddit: 

My day went pretty well overall, despite being exhausted from sleeping terribly last night.

I started my day with a mile walk. I had yogurt with banana whey protein powder and blueberries for breakfast, homemade, veggie-heavy pad thai for lunch, and a huge 10oz bunless burger over spinach and chard for dinner.

Totaled to 1562 calories and 111 grams of protein. I am still SO FULL from dinner 4 hours later.

I read for about an hour, finishing up The New Evolution Diet and diving back into Bands of Mourning.

I'm going to wrap up my day with about 10 minutes or so of self-guided yoga, a shower, and some more reading.

I got under the bar for squats and my legs screamed at me. I am learning that doing 75 bodyweight squats is not really going to help me in my lifting the next day.

I need to focus on getting relaxed for a good sleep tonight because I must lift tomorrow, since that will have been two days of rest.

I only autopiloted to Reddit once today, and I closed the tab immediately. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Your Challenge write up is so cool. Precise and ordered. I think I could learn a few things here. :)

Thanks! I was worried it was too long-winded, so I have lots of bold titles so people can skip sections they don't care about.

I'm trying to decide if today so far is a good day or a bad day.

On the good side, I got enough sleep, I did my squats this morning (125 lbs, getting close to that PR!), SO made bacon and eggs for breakfast, I have a solid plan to complete my bench press and power cleans this evening, and I'm signed up for a mindful resilience yoga class this evening, which I'm really interested in.

On the downside, I have cramps up the wazoo and I'm ridiculously hormonal. I sobbed over a zipper on a new pair of pants breaking while I was getting dressed. I'm really annoyed because shark week has been WORSE the more I've worked out and gotten my diet under control and I just want to go eat a pound of pudding. I may up my calories a bit for lunch and have a few more carbs and see if that helps, as I've been eating very very close to my BMR, and that could be making me cranky.

I also was having a lot of trouble on my last set of squats getting my arms to hold the bar against my back properly. It kept sliding around and messing up my form and it felt like my arms were just too tired to angle properly to hold it.

I just don't know whether I want to curl up in a ball under a pile of blankets with a bottle of wine or find a free trial of some boxing class where I can punch the shit out of something. And I'll probably end up doing neither due to the density of my schedule for the rest of the day.

How do you hold the bar?  Do you flex your lats as part of your core stabilization?  ie try to break the bar across your back?  Can you tell where you upper body is fatiguing because it doesn't happen on early sets?  May haps a form check is in order.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

How do you hold the bar?  Do you flex your lats as part of your core stabilization?  ie try to break the bar across your back?  Can you tell where you upper body is fatiguing because it doesn't happen on early sets?  May haps a form check is in order.

I'll definitely do a form check video after my next lifting session. I try to lift my elbows and push the bar into/break the bar across my back, but my upper body strength is pretty low. I think in my earlier sets I was supporting too much of the weight with my arms, so by the last set my arms were tired enough that they could neither support the weight nor push it into my back. I felt like my triceps & shoulders were getting tired, which seems odd, and the inside of my left elbow felt like it had been hyperextended or something.

Thumbs over the bar?  Do you have enough flexibility to keep your wrists neutral?  I know right now my shoulder inflexibility drives my wrists under the bar.  I'll need to improve that over the next month.

• Like 1

Thumbs are over the bar, I do have enough flexibility for neutral wrists, though I'm not certain that I was keeping neutral wrists. I'll have to check out some form guides, pay close attention, and record myself next time.

• Like 1

The elbow pain is a cue that you are pushing up on the bar, probably as you start out of the hole

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

-100 g protein today, 1600 calories. And I got chipotle.

-Yoga was awesome, but not much of a workout. Very meditative.

-Power cleans and bench after yoga. Can only pump out 2 reps per set at 85 lbs. It feels so freaking heavy.

• Like 1

Doing well so far today.

-Ate 1584 calories, with 148 grams of protein (yay enormous chicken breasts!).

-I had a salad for lunch, and a crap-ton of veggies with dinner.

-No exercise this morning because I was in a bit of a rush. I overslept. I'm committed to doing a yoga with Adriene video when my obligation gets done at 9.

-I autopiloted to Imgur once today and realized what I was doing immediately and closed the tab.

-I really wanted cake today. Like REALLY wanted it. So I got some ultra dark chocolate and had a few pieces of that instead, for a total of around 90 calories rather than the 500 I would have had with actual cake.

• Like 2

Chicken for the win! I'm so glad it is one of the cheapest forms of protein, lean and cheap, what more could you want? 

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Chicken for the win! I'm so glad it is one of the cheapest forms of protein, lean and cheap, what more could you want? 

Taste?

Just now, Stonefist said:

Taste?

This is way too true. I do have to do a lot to chicken to make it delicious. 

Just signed up for my work's gym! It's pretty nice, and should allow me to do more accessory work and get some more walking in mid-day. I'll also be able to do my lifting there when the SO has to work overtime.

• Like 3

Also posted in form check:

I'm a but wobbly and my elbows aren't back even remotely as much as they feel, but I don't know how to fix it.