• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy Breaks Through the Wall

I went for a 1 mile walk this morning.

Pretty good lifting session today. I hit 130 on the squat, 65 on the overhead press, and 170 on the deadlift. So I have officially MET my previous PRs for those three lifts.

So far I've had 931 calories so far and 66 grams of protein.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! ^_^

Finished yesterday at a higher 2100 call and 113 grams of protein. Still under my tdee, which is what I aim for on the weekend. Also went for an additional 30 minute walk.

Today I started with an hour of yoga, then later mowed the lawn for half an hour. With my planned dinner, I'll have had 1938 calories and 112g protein.

• Like 2

Happy first day of challenge!

-1 hour of yoga this morning

-only 83 grams protein

-1424 calories. A bit low.

-No reddit or imgur.

-Read for about an hour this morning.

• Like 3

Day 2! My food is all planned out for the say so I'll stay on track. Yesterday was hard for food because I stayed out late working on a project, and we ordered Chinese when I had planned to have an enormous burger for dinner. Very different from each other in terms of protein content and my personal ability to control the ingredients.

It's lifting day, so I have to remember to bring my gym clothes into work. I want to go to another yoga class so badly, but I think I'll have to settle for a video today.

• Like 1

Results for Zero Week

Lifting: 2 sessions, but they don't count toward the 10 sessions.

Squat: 130/143 lbs.

Bench: 80/93.5 lbs.

Overhead: 65/71.5 lbs.

Deadlift: 170/181.5 lbs.

Yoga or Walking: 6/6 days. (3 Yoga, 3 Walking)

Average Daily calories: 1742

Average Daily protein: 117g

Books Read: 1/4

Imgur/Reddit: Only a couple slip-ups autopiloting there all week, and I didn't linger on them at all. So far, so good

• Like 3

So, I had a spontaneous anxiety attack at work.

I haven't had an attack in around 2 months, since I started sleeping more, exercising more, and cutting down on caffeine and sugar.

I've gotten calmed down enough to function, but the feeling of anxiety is still there and I'm worried I'll have another attack. I'm trying to figure out why. It might be because my breakfast protein shake had added fruit and was more sugar dense, but that's the only off thing I can think of. Sometimes these things just happen.

I'm trying to focus on my breathing. I might go walk on the treadmill for a bit and try to shake it off. I may have to take some time off work if I can't get myself back into a productive headspace.

SOS, Please send cute or soothing things to distract me! And if anyone has any anxiety management tips, or if you have anxiety or depression and need to comisserate or need support, feel free to post on my thread or PM me.

Baby hippo cuteness, STAT!

caEVuxVVoYvhC.gif

Hope you feel better soon!

I get anxiety...moments. I wouldn't say they were full blown attacks, though. Just the feeling that something is horrifically wrong and I can't stop whatever is coming. It's sucky and I'm sorry you're feeling sucky.

aqsy4rlbFBvfq.gif

*hug* It sounds like you have a great idea of what your triggers are and how to recover from an attack -- I'm glad the lifestyle changes have made a big difference.

Hope you feel better soon! In the meantime, corgis:

And some more puppies (of the corgi and non-corgi variety):

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alanna said:
Spoiler

*hug* It sounds like you have a great idea of what your triggers are and how to recover from an attack -- I'm glad the lifestyle changes have made a big difference.

Hope you feel better soon! In the meantime, corgis:

And some more puppies (of the corgi and non-corgi variety):

Aww, I love the power of puppies one. I've considered getting a therapy dog, but since I typically am out for 9 hours a day due to work+commute, I would be concerned about the dog's well-being unless I can get a definite agreement to allow me to work from home the majority of the time. I think I could get that for my current project, but that project is only guarunteed until October, at which point it's possible I could be moved to a more on-site-dependent project.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Aww, I love the power of puppies one. I've considered getting a therapy dog, but since I typically am out for 9 hours a day due to work+commute, I would be concerned about the dog's well-being unless I can get a definite agreement to allow me to work from home the majority of the time. I think I could get that for my current project, but that project is only guarunteed until October, at which point it's possible I could be moved to a more on-site-dependent project.

Yeah, I've had to hold off on getting a dog (much as I'd like one) for similar reasons (+ student housing limitations). I'm jealous of people that work for companies that allow dogs at work!

Just now, Alanna said:

Yeah, I've had to hold off on getting a dog (much as I'd like one) for similar reasons (+ student housing limitations). I'm jealous of people that work for companies that allow dogs at work!

I would have a pet so fast if I could bring them to work.

• Like 1

Today ended up being not so good. 1334 calories and only 71 grams of protein. Ended up having to do a work thing where pasta and sausage was provided rather than my delicious, wonderful burger I've been craving. 

Got in a walk, but only did power cleans at the very end of the day. I really need to squat and bench tomorrow.

No reddit or imgur though, and after I was done with my little episode this morning and took a few hours to relax, I was actually really productive.

I'll just have to go really heavy on the protein a few days to make up for the deficiencies.

• Like 1

It may not have been the perfect day you were hoping for but it is clear that you are making progress. Great job getting those power cleans in!

• Like 3

I hear you on the pullup wish. I weigh over 160, and realized the other day that me doing a pullup at my current weight would be equivalent to me doing a 30 pound weighted pullup at my goal weight. It's going to be a long, hard road to both the weight loss and the pullup. But you're clearly making solid progress. 6 pounds over the challenge last time is impressive!

• Like 1

So, I've been considering going from standard Starting Strength to a kind of 6-day split, essentially instead of doing:

Workout A: Squats, OHP, Deadlift

Workout B: Squats, Bench, Power clean

Instead do:

Workout A: Squats

Workout B: OHP

Workout C: Deadlift

Workout D: Squats

Workout E: Bench

Workout F: Power Cleans

I'm thinking about this largely because I find it easy time-wise to get through squats, but then I almost always feel crunched for time on the next few lifts. And then on days when I'm not lifting, I feel like I have SO MUCH TIME.

Overall, this might mean I'm spending more time on warmups, but I don't necessarily consider this a bad thing. Is there any compelling reason not to do my workouts this way if I'll be doing each lift the same number of times per week? I've heard some anecdotes that doing the 3 in the same day spurs more progress, but I might be willing at this point to sacrifice some progress speed for ease of integrating lifting into my schedule.

Starting strength is still 3 days a week typically.  ABA, BAB.  Your split will be just a single of each A and B per week - 33% less training.  This might be fine.  Consistently training beats missing lifts.  Also, deadlift, squats, and power cleans have very similar kinetic chains (press as well, but the lower body is not as active).  You may have to add more warm up sets on deadlift and power clean days than if you had done the exercises after squats.  Having not just done squats, you might deadlift and power clean heavier, so that's a plus.  You might get some fatigue doing a lower body workout 4 days a week instead of 3 considering you've added a little volume because of warm ups and intensity if you do lift heavier while decreasing rest days.

Ultimately, it's probably preferable to get the work in with good focus and execution any way you can than to wind up skipping sets, lifts, or rushing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Starting strength is still 3 days a week typically.  ABA, BAB.  Your split will be just a single of each A and B per week - 33% less training.  This might be fine.  Consistently training beats missing lifts. 

The way I'm currently working out, I'm usually getting 2 days of rest between each session--- adding up to typically only 2 sessions per week, with the occasional 3 per week if they happen to fall on Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday. But I'll keep that in mind. I probably should be trying to actually get in 3 sessions per week, but most of the time I still feel so worn down after just 1 rest day. But I'll think about it a bit.

Tried something a bit different today with food. I had a huge, 860 calorie protein-packed breakfast of beef, eggs, beans and veggies. Then I had no lunch, not because I planned to have no lunch, but because I couldn't stomach anything until like 5 pm. At which point I thought I could maybe handle a smoothie. Now I'm eating broccoli because I apparently haven't been having enough fiber, which is causing problems...

But anyway, low on calories again because I'm having trouble getting any more food in. 1376 cals and 104 g protein.

Lifted 135x5x3 on squats (yay big kid plates!), but 85x2x3 on bench. Upper body exercises are the bane of my existence. 

Went to two yoga classes after work.

• Like 1

That brekky sounds bloody amazing. On the training schedule, 2 times a week should be enough to maintain a linear progression, just progressing at that slower rate. But i think splitting out your training, if you can manage gym time 6/7 days a week would be good, less time crunch, more time working on warmups, mobility, focusing on the movement patterns, and you'd still get the stimulus to go through the whole stress recover adapt cycle. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the big plates for squats!

17 hours ago, Grizzy said:

So, I've been considering going from standard Starting Strength to a kind of 6-day split, essentially instead of doing:

Workout A: Squats, OHP, Deadlift

Workout B: Squats, Bench, Power clean

Instead do:

Workout A: Squats

Workout B: OHP

Workout C: Deadlift

Workout D: Squats

Workout E: Bench

Workout F: Power Cleans

I'm thinking about this largely because I find it easy time-wise to get through squats, but then I almost always feel crunched for time on the next few lifts. And then on days when I'm not lifting, I feel like I have SO MUCH TIME.

Overall, this might mean I'm spending more time on warmups, but I don't necessarily consider this a bad thing. Is there any compelling reason not to do my workouts this way if I'll be doing each lift the same number of times per week? I've heard some anecdotes that doing the 3 in the same day spurs more progress, but I might be willing at this point to sacrifice some progress speed for ease of integrating lifting into my schedule.

I agree with what's been said about adapting the workout to meet your needs -- it's better to modify your program so you're not rushed. I'd suggest looking at a program like 5/3/1, too, but it also sounds like you still have linear progression left and switching to a program with much slower progress would be premature.

To play devil's advocate: you might need to see how you do recovery-wise lifting 6 days/week, and if the 1x/week for most lifts is sufficient to drive progress for you (esp. for bench and OHP, I would guess -- it sounds like you're currently having some trouble making these lifts move when training them ~1x/week). If you do need more weekly frequency on some of the lifts, but are fatigued and rushed for time after your first main lift in SS, another thing to try out would be doing two lifts/session, but make your second lift of the session lighter (e.g., like in this modification of 5/3/1, but using a linear progression for the main lift instead of the 5/3/1 rep scheme). That way fatigue is less of an issue and you can take shorter rests in between sets, speeding things along. An example of what this might look like would be:

• Workout 1: Squat + power cleans
  • Workout 2: Bench + light OHP
  • Rest day
  • Workout 3: Deadlift + light squats
  • Workout 4: OHP + light bench
  • Rest day

And you might be able to squeeze in another squat session after one of the upper body days if you want to lift >4x/week. Or if your weekly schedule is flexible, just cycle through that 6-day schedule.

I'm just brainstorming here, so feel free to proceed with your original plan :). The best way to figure out if your proposed program would work well for you would be to try it for at least a few weeks and see how you feel!

• Like 2