Grizzy Breaks Through the Wall

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

• Workout 1: Squat + power cleans
  • Workout 2: Bench + light OHP
  • Rest day
  • Workout 3: Deadlift + light squats
  • Workout 4: OHP + light bench
  • Rest day

This is pretty appealing to me... maybe I'll try it out!

Also, weighed myself today... and I'm down to 200.8. While *cough*constipated*cough*. I'm honestly surprised that I'm losing weight as fast as I am O.O

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

This is pretty appealing to me... maybe I'll try it out!

Also, weighed myself today... and I'm down to 200.8. While *cough*constipated*cough*. I'm honestly surprised that I'm losing weight as fast as I am O.O

I struggle with this so much. Mainly because my body hates me. Highly recommend lots of fluid, legumes, and leafy greens. If you live or work in an air conditioned place I also recommend hot fluids, they help get things flowing. Being in an air conditioned office I can get away with drinking hot water (tea without the tea). I try to do this once a day - drink 20-30 oz of hot water. 

I promise I'm not making this shit up. Pun intended.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Also, weighed myself today... and I'm down to 200.8.

Lifting is great for weight loss.  It's even better for overall body image improvement.  It invigorates and revs up your metabolism to refuel, repair, and build your muscles which utilizes a lot of your carb and protein intake.  Then you wind up dipping into your fat storage to keep you running.  If you eat to bulk, you'll put on the most muscle and gain some fat, but short of that, you will get excellent results without.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I struggle with this so much. Mainly because my body hates me. Highly recommend lots of fluid, legumes, and leafy greens. If you live or work in an air conditioned place I also recommend hot fluids, they help get things flowing. Being in an air conditioned office I can get away with drinking hot water (tea without the tea). I try to do this once a day - drink 20-30 oz of hot water. 

I promise I'm not making this shit up. Pun intended.

I didn't know hot water would help. Will definitely do that today, along with many many other fluids.

17 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Lifting is great for weight loss.  It's even better for overall body image improvement.  It invigorates and revs up your metabolism to refuel, repair, and build your muscles which utilizes a lot of your carb and protein intake.  Then you wind up dipping into your fat storage to keep you running.  If you eat to bulk, you'll put on the most muscle and gain some fat, but short of that, you will get excellent results without.

One of the many reasons I love lifting! That and women who don't lift think I'm a badass for how much I can lift, even though I'm technically still a beginner by weight-lifted-to-body-weight standards.

1 minute ago, Grizzy said:

I didn't know hot water would help. Will definitely do that today, along with many many other fluids.

Magnesium and high dose Vitamin C are also helpful if you're still having trouble :).

1 minute ago, Alanna said:

Magnesium and high dose Vitamin C are also helpful if you're still having trouble :).

I'm willing to try anything right now. I've been avoiding weighing myself for days because of this and I assumed my weight would be up... it's that bad.

Ok, so I'm getting a 'salad' for lunch at chipotle, and I need to decide between beans & cheese or guac. Or maybe walking an extra few miles and doing both... Halp me decide!

Dang, I'm exhausted.

-Lots of walking; around 70 minutes, 3.5ish miles of deliberate walks.

-150g protein. Finally got my burger!

-1796 calories. Making up for the ridiculous deficit yesterday.

-No reading with my eyes, but finished the Deadline audiobook.

-No reddit or imgur.

-I will stretch with a little downward dog, happy baby, forward fold, etc before bed, but I'm going to fall asleep so soon that I don't think I'm going to do a guided video.

• Like 4

I didn't see the Bench one in form check, so posting here. I just noticed that your feet have a hard time reaching the floor while bench pressing. I think @SpecialSundae and others have put blocks or plates under their feet if the bench was too high to brace properly?  But if you are doing it without shoes on plates are not going to feel comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I didn't see the Bench one in form check, so posting here. I just noticed that your feet have a hard time reaching the floor while bench pressing. I think @SpecialSundae and others have put blocks or plates under their feet if the bench was too high to brace properly?  But if you are doing it without shoes on plates are not going to feel comfortable. 

I have this problem with all the benches I have ever been on! I had shoes with me, just didn't bother to put them on after squatting. I'll try stacking some plates or using some blocks or platforms they have at the gym next time.

37 minutes ago, Grymm said:

How tall are you?  That bench looks tall.  Anything over 17.75" (45cm) is too tall.

I'm 5'5", and yeah, it's way too tall. The benches at my old gym were a much more appropriate height.

Just now, Grizzy said:

I'm 5'5", and yeah, it's way too tall. The benches at my old gym were a much more appropriate height.

My gym has flat benches at two different heights and thenalso that adjustable bench you have, which is even taller. The adjustable benches, the ones that can incline, are usually a lot higher. Do they have any flat benches? 

• Like 1

Just now, Taddea Zhaan said:

My gym has flat benches at two different heights and thenalso that adjustable bench you have, which is even taller. The adjustable benches, the ones that can incline, are usually a lot higher. Do they have any flat benches? 

Nope. There is one that inclines only and one that both inclines and declines.

Unfortunately, my garage-sale at-home bench is also way too tall and an incline/decline.

Ok, so that puts your back of leg with heel on the ground, vertical shin, somewhere about 15-16".  Either way, it's below the plane of an 18" bench.  On a standard bench, you'd have to spread your legs out to get to the sides of the bench and then either arch or over extend your hips to get your heels to the floor.  You want good strong contact with the floor.  Depending on the width of your hip joints, the bench its self might not let you get the most direct route to the floor.  You'll need something on the floor to add height.  On a bench that tall, you need a lot of help.  Something that tall, you might need multiple plates.  One plate won't slide much, but plate on plate, they will slide.  Shorter people might be able to chime in with tricks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

Ok, so that puts your back of leg with heel on the ground, vertical shin, somewhere about 15-16".  Either way, it's below the plane of an 18" bench.  On a standard bench, you'd have to spread your legs out to get to the sides of the bench and then either arch or over extend your hips to get your heels to the floor.  You want good strong contact with the floor.  Depending on the width of your hip joints, the bench its self might not let you get the most direct route to the floor.  You'll need something on the floor to add height.  On a bench that tall, you need a lot of help.  Something that tall, you might need multiple plates.  One plate won't slide much, but plate on plate, they will slide.  Shorter people might be able to chime in with tricks.

We've got a set of bumper plates, so I think metal plate on bumper plate might be un-slidey enough...

• Like 1

Trying to get my lifting done through a wave of depressive feelings. On my last warmup for squats and everything feels hard. Only haven't quit because I know I'll just feel worse for being a quitter if I do.

Mental health issues suck. Wish me luck.

And for record keeping purposes, I did do a little post workout yoga.

1630 cals, 100 g protein today.

Sorry I'm sort of spamming my own thread. :P

• Like 1