• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy Breaks Through the Wall

This morning did Ohp for 66 lbs (little pr) and bench for 65. Is 20 lbs less than/ 60ish% of max light enough for light day or is it too light? I don't know these things.

Went for a 1 hr yoga class. Taking off work as a sort of mental health day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

This morning did Ohp for 66 lbs (little pr) and bench for 65. Is 20 lbs less than/ 60ish% of max light enough for light day or is it too light? I don't know these things.

Went for a 1 hr yoga class. Taking off work as a sort of mental health day.

Congrats on the OHP PR! Any little bit of progress there is worth celebrating.

Sounds like a good place to start :). For comparison, the Texas Method volume day uses 90% of your 5RM (your working weight for bench is 85 lbs, right? So that would be ~75 lbs), but those volume days can be very grueling. If the 65 lbs felt too easy, or if you don't feel like you're making progress after a few weeks, you could try adding 5-10 lbs more. Conversely, if you're not recovering well, you can lower the weight. Disclaimer: I'm also pretty new to this :).

Glad you're taking some time for yourself -- hope you have a good day off.

• Like 1

Worst day of the challenge so far.

-1 mile walk... walking to and from a bar.

-2100ish calories, rough estimate, half of which are from bar drinks and donuts.

-only about 65 g of protein

-10 minutes of yoga trying to work out the kink in my back I developed at the bar.

And yet... still better than an average day would have been just a few months ago. I'm not going to make every day like today, but the fact that this is the worst I've done in almost a month and a half? And I was UNDER MY TDEE? AWESOME!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

And yet... still better than an average day would have been just a few months ago. I'm not going to make every day like today, but the fact that this is the worst I've done in almost a month and a half? And I was UNDER MY TDEE? AWESOME!

This is amazing! 

Week 1 Recap:

Avg protein: 95 grams, A

Avg calories: 1617, A

Strength training: technically 4 separate sessions, but lifts for what would normally count as 2 sessions with the previous routine, so... A...?

Walking & yoga: 7/7 days, A. 5 yoga sessions, 4 walking sessions.

Reddit/Imgur: a few slip ups with navigating to the sites, but no lingering.

Reading: finished an audiobook. Need to really dig into my paper books.

• Like 2

Worst day of the challenge so far.

-1 mile walk... walking to and from a bar.

-2100ish calories, rough estimate, half of which are from bar drinks and donuts.

-only about 65 g of protein

-10 minutes of yoga trying to work out the kink in my back I developed at the bar.

I read the first "bar" as "barbell" and was impressed that you got so many steps in a lifting session. Then I got to "the kink in my back I developed at the bar" and realized that all three were the same bar and had nothing to do with lifting .

Nice job realizing that your relatively bad day wasn't that bad and moving on! Consistency > perfection. Great first week overall!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm more impressed that you stayed at 2100 calories while have drinks and donuts!  I think walking by a bar is 2000 calories for me. 

• Like 2

Bleh sick today.. some sort of stomach bug with throwing up and twelve hours of sleeping. what to do, take the day off? Attempt to lift? I'm really sore and I don't know why... Yoga usually doesn't make me sore.

Bleh sick today.. some sort of stomach bug with throwing up and twelve hours of sleeping. what to do, take the day off? Attempt to lift? I'm really sore and I don't know why... Yoga usually doesn't make me sore.

I would nix the lifting if you're throwing up... that's a bad combination. Muscle soreness is a symptom of some bugs, too. Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I would nix the lifting if you're throwing up... that's a bad combination. Muscle soreness is a symptom of some bugs, too. Hope you feel better soon!

That's fair. If I'm feeling sore/weak, I probably wouldn't do so well anyway. :(

2 hours ago, Grizzy said:

That's fair. If I'm feeling sore/weak, I probably wouldn't do so well anyway. :(

Sometimes it's good to go and do what you can, even if it's not as much as you know you could lift if you were feeling 100%. Other times, though... live to lift another day!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Take the day off. 

Hide contents

Cuz no one wants to clean vomit off of the gym floor. 

Well, it would be my floor, but neither me or my SO wants to clean up that mess.

• Like 2

Finally started to feel a little more stable and ate 1500 calories in chicken, rice and vegetables.

And today I'm up 3.5 lbs. Hooooooooooooooooow.

4 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Finally started to feel a little more stable and ate 1500 calories in chicken, rice and vegetables.

And today I'm up 3.5 lbs. Hooooooooooooooooow.

Maybe it's a gravitational anomaly.

• Like 4

Bench press for 85lbs!

"Light" OHP day of 59 lbs... no problem.

Apparently I need to drink a protein shake, because so far I'm only at 1300 calories and 80g protein.

Read 20 pages this morning, and ordered Bands of Mourning because otherwise I would have to renew it for the third time.

I neeeed to do a yoga video.

• Like 2

Yoga done.

Protein shake drank.

1585 calories and 114g protein consumed.

I have to gear myself up and squat tomorrow. I don't know why squatting feels so intimidating mentally to me. I'm much more likely to be fired up for bench or overhead, despite the numbers going up soooo much slower.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I have to gear myself up and squat tomorrow. I don't know why squatting feels so intimidating mentally to me. I'm much more likely to be fired up for bench or overhead, despite the numbers going up soooo much slower.

Here's some assistance from Yoda:

12596457_10208711052795075_3832837_n.jpg

Are you worried about failing them? I had to practice failing (i.e., dumping the weight on the safety pins) when I first started so I knew I could if I needed to. Overloading the bar (e.g., 20 lbs over your working weight) and walking out with it (but not squatting) before your working sets can also be helpful... when you go back to your working weight it suddenly seems very very light :D.

• Like 2

I did an hour of yoga this morning. Different instructor than I was used to, and more a beginner-vinyasa style than I'm used to with my usual teacher. It was waaay harder.

I had a fruit and veggie protein smoothie this morning. I'm already hungry. :(

I'm having burritos tonight though! I love burritos. So happyyyy. I have to restrain myself and eat just one though... When we used to have burritos I would have like 2 or 3 and they're around 1150 calories each. This is where I wish I was a large man who lifts.

I am soooo looking forward to lifting tonight. I just realized that if I can get 10 pounds more on my squat, I'll have hit my BIG squat goal of 150lbs! It's actually entirely possible that I'll have hit all my big lifting goals in the next challenge. :D:D:D

• Like 5

So, I pressed 'submit' before I was actually done, and then I felt like I had to wait before making another post right away, soooo....

I got a massage, and that was really nice. I'm signed up for one at my yoga studio next week.

Next week I'm on vacation!!! Not going anywhere far, just a staycation and we might go up to Denver or down to Pueblo a bit. I kind of want to have a set of mini-goals for vacation... but it will be just my normal goals... but more... Like:

-Actually freaking finish bands of mourning

-Go to yoga ERRYDAY!

-Lift Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.

-Don't be a complete glutton.

-Clean out the basement and build a bunch of bookshelves. Set up meditation area.

• Like 1