Casbin: Time for a changeup (third Challenge)

Casbin

Hi there,

It is allready getting late so I will be cutting this short and try to fill it up with more detail later.

I want to get this up and running  before I start forgetting things.

So for my intermediate Goals:

- gain 20kg

- have a 10km run in under 1 hour

- polishing up my english to a comfortable level

I've been having some trouble with focussing too much on my misses, so this will be trying to learn to work around that.

Part of it will be focussing on the parts that have been hard on me last challenge rather then gunning for the whole thing and basically I want to try scoring points by checking of my challenge-items (I believe I'm stealing this from maegs but I will have to look it up).

The basevalues and passingscore will be up until thursday. I will have some time by then and do the math.

Also @Katrin Josephina Morag got me curious about Darebee with her Abs-Challenge last month and I'd like to try out the Foundation-program.

So for my goals:

Meals:

- eat dinner every day (lunch on weekends)

- Eat something before you leave the house (weekdays)

Fitness:

- attend fitnessclass every week

- do the Darebee Foundation workout (easy)

Life:

- on Wednesdays and Saturdays do something for yourself

practically I don't really care what it is, buy something, read a book, do some reiki, a good film. It's basically about something fun & out of the ordinary.

Well thats about all for now.

I realise it might be a bit of a mess but as I said, I will be getting back to it.

Casbin

• Like 3

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

Hi Casbin.

Good luck on challenge 3. Gain 20kg is roughly where my goals were this time last year, good luck with that. I'm still 4/5 kg off target but we'll get there eventually. Adding oats or wheetabix to my breakfast was a big part of getting enough in each day.

"They're coming to get you Barbara!"

• Like 1

It's always funny for me to hear about someone who is trying to actually gain weight. I'd say just eat like I did for the last few years and you'll gain weight in no time. You'd also probably get fat and miserable, though.

Your English is also quite good. I don't know how well you can speak in English, but your writing is excellent. Keep it up!

Hi there,

thanks for coming in!

It took me a bit longer then I had anticipated to get back here. It's just like so often, you make plans and life keeps laughing about it.

But it wasn't bad, just different.

I've been heading out early for this Challenge to get some wiggleroom for the Foundation-Workout. It might turn out a bit much to do the daily routine and fitnessclass.

There also was a promise about the gradingsystem and I decided to keep it really simple; three Points for new items, one for allready implemented stuff. Passing point will be at 51% just to remember that a D is still doing ok.

To put this in numbers:

Eatinghabits:

problem meals:                                         /   35 Points max

1. Breakfast:                                             /105

Sports:

Fitness, Endurance & Games                  /  35

Foundation Program                                /105

Relax:                                                        /105

I wanted to get back to you since Tuesday but as I said life can be funny like that.

So SkinNbones thanks for coming in it's great to actually see someone who had the same troubles. I will definitely have to check out your old challenges for inspiration.

Honestly said I'm still hard pressed to manage 3 meals for a whole challenge...

This is a long shot goal for me, managing 7kg by the end of the year would be good I'm hoping for ten though.

On 7.6.2016 at 1:32 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Best wishes on your upcoming challenge!

Thanks, I hope your challenge is also going strong so far?

On 7.6.2016 at 7:23 PM, powerpc127 said:

It's always funny for me to hear about someone who is trying to actually gain weight. I'd say just eat like I did for the last few years and you'll gain weight in no time. You'd also probably get fat and miserable, though.

Your English is also quite good. I don't know how well you can speak in English, but your writing is excellent. Keep it up!

Hey, glad to have you here!

Honestly said I really like the reactions around here, so different from what I usually get.

And thanks, getting in some routine is helping tremendously while my pronounciation will have to wait for a bit longer :)

Well, I'll be getting off to write my first update before I actually hit a letter max xD

Character

And back at it again!

Monday:

I had some time left in the morning and actually started off with a bowl of granola in addition to the planned banana but it was way too hot for exercise

As Gamingnight was cancelled it was pretty easy to get in dinner and I managed to do the workout in the evening.

Tuesday:

Got up a bit late so it's been a banana for a snack

Did my workout in our garden but cut out the restperiods to make it in time. After finishing I realised that I had missread the numbers so far as they are total not per side...

Hit FKS after work and we've been playing bedminton without a net but limited on a gym mat per person & volleyball afterwards.

Had a lengthy discussion with my roommate afterwards and started eating in the meantime (got pretty late) but I hope we managed to clear some things.

Wednesday:

Sore, so damn sore...

Again granola & a banana for breakfast but couldn't make myself do the workout (I'm blaming the doubled workload & badminton here ^^)

Went shopping after work as I really needed new presentable shirt for applicationpictures, totally counts as doing something for myself AND I am claiming Fatepoints for this!

Managed to force myself to eat something and went to bed damn early.

Thursday:

Finally, about today...

I got up sharp this time around and managed to do yesterdays exercises while still feeling heavy and twisted.

For a kickstart it was a banana again and I came to realise what it difference it makes to get in a full meal in the morning (plus breakfast at work).

Also had a great dinner with asperagus, young potatoes, chicken and sauce hollandaise thanks to my roommates. But I really have to work on my own cooking...

Got some Reiki in and had a nice little walk with the dogs before I checked in here after all I had a pretty great time so far.

Hope you are enjoying your days

Casbin

• Like 3

Character

1 hour ago, Casbin said:

Thanks, I hope your challenge is also going strong so far?

Thanks for asking. I jumped the gun and started last week. Things are going well, but I may have to revisit my walk-to-work goal. Somedays i needed to take my car for business even though the weather was suitable for walking. Other days I knew I was office bound all day but we had severe thunderstorms. It's a learning process. I remind myself that even walking once a week is better than nothing.

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Good start Casbin.

I also used to skip meals frequently, just from being busy at work. I've got stricter with myself nowadays - had lunch at 430 pm the other day just thought that was better than skipping it altogether.

(I also cheat with weight gain shakes)

"They're coming to get you Barbara!"

Allright, here we go again.

I did take my sweet time but I needed the extra time.

Before I am getting started I wanted to catch up with your comments.

On 9.6.2016 at 11:33 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Thanks for asking. I jumped the gun and started last week. Things are going well, but I may have to revisit my walk-to-work goal. Somedays i needed to take my car for business even though the weather was suitable for walking. Other days I knew I was office bound all day but we had severe thunderstorms. It's a learning process. I remind myself that even walking once a week is better than nothing.

See what you mean, getting one more walk it actually seems pretty good for me.

AND you learned from it which is pretty helpful to work around it ;) honestly if one thing is for sure, you never tinker with the weather, way too much power in there.

I don't know much about your work, but maybe you could try to sneek some more walking in there like going to a collegue instead of phoning him or taking the first parking space you can find when getting close to the location?

Just my two cent, hope you don't mind.

On 10.6.2016 at 0:00 AM, skinNbones said:

I also used to skip meals frequently, just from being busy at work. I've got stricter with myself nowadays - had lunch at 430 pm the other day just thought that was better than skipping it altogether.

That is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to get to.

I remember that I should eat something -> just get this done before... Oh right eating -> just this one thing... etc.

But I will be getting there, it is getting gradually easyer.

On 10.6.2016 at 8:13 AM, Katrin Josephina Morag said:

:D "claiming fatepoints for this"

Muahahaha I like how your mind works!

Good start.

Guess I should have seen that coming and actually refrained from adding fanmail there :devilish:

Allright, on to my update!

I really messed up friday, just didn't get anything done...

Saturday went quite a bit better.

I did get my fruit before leaving, had dinner and caught up with fridays cardiounit.

In addition I managed to cleanout my inbox at work, didn't manage to get to that desk since mid april so that's been quite a relieve. (not sure I will let that count as something for myself, doesn't really feel right...)

Had the house for myself by 3pm and had a nice day watching some episodes (which is pretty much the usual).

Sunday was, well ok.

Managed another fruit before breakfast, remembered to get a bit around 5 and sneaked in a dinner with some effort.

Oh, right and I did the day 5 workout.

Week 0 Summary:

early Snack:     18 Pts.

Trouble meal:     6 Pts.

Workout:          15 Pts.

FKS                    1 Pt.

Selfcare:             3 Pts

For today, it was kind of a freakday.

But, I remembered to do the workout and I will be getting myself to eat something rigth now.

With that, I will be coming back in by wednesday.

Casbin

• Like 3

Character

On June 13, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Casbin said:

I don't know much about your work, but maybe you could try to sneek some more walking in there like going to a collegue instead of phoning him or taking the first parking space you can find when getting close to the location?

I work in a one-room office, but your point about sneaking in some extra activity is a good one. I may give myself some wiggle room on this goal. If the weather or schedule doesn't cooperate I will walk an equivalent distance after work or on the weekend.

• Like 2

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Hi again,

it's wednesday allready which means, time to get you updated.

Tuesday was coming along rather good.

I did forgot about that early snack again but I hope that placing some fruit at work will help to still get it in.

But managed to do the day7 workout.

In contrary dinner went rather well.

Training, right; that was great!

We had a circletraining when I arrived a bit late. I usually end up thinking "it is just a minute, let's give it some effort" but this time around I also had someone beside me who gave it a honest try and got me motivated to try and keep the pace.

Oh, while I'm at it...

How do you fare Katrin? He sure planned out some challenges...

Thanksfully it's not too bad for now but I sure feel the training. I just hope my abs won't start sreaming by friday, they tend to take there time with it.

Wednesday:

I remembered to eat a fruit this time around and Dinner went just as well.

Did my workout (thankfully stretching) before I was sitting down here.

And for a little extra edge I will go and try to get myself to actually comment on someone else challenge instead of just reading in xD.

Doing something for myself will be the next thing on the list before ending the day.

And last but not least:

19 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I work in a one-room office, but your point about sneaking in some extra activity is a good one. I may give myself some wiggle room on this goal. If the weather or schedule doesn't cooperate I will walk an equivalent distance after work or on the weekend.

That sounds like a great plan, I hope you will find an option that will work for you!

Hope you are having a good week

Casbin

• Like 3

Character

Once again,

it's sunday night and about time to finish off this week.

Things where not going too well in the second half of this week but I expected that.

First of all, I  finished Wednesday with some comments on others challenges and not feeling too stupid about it xD plus some reading in the Hagakure.

Thursday:

Not too great, as already pointed out. No early snack, breakfast around 12, a small Luch at 1 p.m. no workout but I had Dinner

Friday:

Again, no workout but a bowl of cereals for a kickstart (got a tip on thursday that working quite fine so far).

Dinner wasn't too much of a problem.

Saturday:

Another bowl of cereals before leaving for work, lunch and dinner worked out just fine AND I managed to get that damn "cardio"unit down.

Had a good nap after work and am counting that for the selfcare part.

Today:

Went smoothly. Three meals (and only 150 short of my caloriegoal), did the strengthroutine, got my chores done and still had some time to play around...

Week 1 Summary:

early Snack:       9 Pts.

Trouble meal:     7 Pts. Ace!

Workout:          15 Pts.

FKS                    1 Pt.

Selfcare:             6 Pts Ace

All in all I am rather happy with that. It's been a crazy week but I came up ahead and didn't bust things up.

• Like 4

Character

17 hours ago, Casbin said:

All in all I am rather happy with that. It's been a crazy week but I came up ahead and didn't bust things up.

I like your tracking system! Sounds like things went well for you this week. It's always good to anticipate challenges to come. Surprises are the hard part for me!

What is circle training? 

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

It might be that that is a badly translated word we just generated from a german term: it's usually a handful of stations in the gym, you have a time running in the middle, or somwhere where everyone can hear it and it announces every full minute, then you rotate around the room, switching stations every minute, try to work the full minute (as best you can).

We had grip strength (rolling up a string with a bit of weigth suspended from it), shoulder/arm (wall balls), abs (sit-ups), step and coordination (hoola loops arranged on the floor), more arm/shoulder (giant rope to swing). Which makes it 5 stations and we did (if I remember correctly) 3 full circuits.

• Like 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Morning,

just quickly checking in via mobile...

Thanks durfette, I had the same thought when I saw it and shamelessly adapted it for my goals XD

It''s been working great so far, way less stressing out about the stuff I missed.

And thanks for the explanation Katrin, I wasn't really thinking about it, the words were just too close. I just looked it up and the references where mainly circuit exercise.

I might want to add that you don't get a break between the exercises, you head over and start hitting it.

Looking forward to training today.

Bye then

Casbin

• Like 1

Character

Thanks for the explanation  @Katrin Josephina Morag! I understand, and I think you're right. I think it's commonly called circuit training, and it is TOUGH in my experience. Major respect for anyone who does that regularly. Great work you two! Looking forward to seeing more updates. 

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

Alright,

I've been slacking a bit with the updates and the challenge, time to change that.

Monday:

Well, it was going ok, got my breakfast and workout in.

Gamenight was called off on short notice but I still went over and got an introduction to Marvel Heroes witch was a lot of fun but I missed dinner when I got home, just headed   streight for bed.

Tuesday:

Oh my god... Had breakfast again, managed to force my workout in after work and headed streight for fitnessclass...

We only were 4 people so it was a couple rounds around the gym for warmup (maybe 3 min.) then some ropejumping and the rest of the time we've been playing indoor hockey.

It's so much sprinting! Honestly said I am still feeling sick when thinking about it...

Volleyball was off as our annual sailing-event the "Kieler Woche" was still underway (I think that they actually are selling it as the worlds biggest?) but I was wiped anyway so no bad feelings.

Katrin has asked if we would do some running afterwards and we actually managed to pull ourselfes up and do it never the less; more of a cooldownrun but we did it =)

wednesday:

Breakfast and dinner went well but I was way too wiped to think about a workout. Had planned to play Marvelheroes again but my pc just did not play along until I gave up and watched an episode or two instead. Not sure if trying will count for selfcare, will have to think about that.

Thursday:

Again eating went just fine but again no workout... Well I thought about it to be fair but it was still too warm and I gave up there... I will have to work on that.

I had actually planned to go watch the royal republic concert but it was really, really hot and i was still sore all over.

Friday:

Repeat meals went fine but no workout.

Saturday:

I think I slept like 14 (12 nightsrest and a nap around 2) went to the match of our local footballteam but left after the 2nd quarter due to rain and some thunder + a soccergame as the european championship is underway. I'm not exactly a soccerfan but it's more of a social thing anyway.

Mealwise breakfast and dinner but forgot about luch as we were grocerieshopping. Had the more snacks instead.

Today:

three meals and I finally managed my workout today. That took me way too long, I really have to look out for that and find a way to pull myself back together.

But it happened and I just realised that I can still pull off the whole thing by the end of the challenge and when this is coming to a close I will be heading into summervacation =)

Oh, right @durfette thankfully we don't do that regularly but he keeps changing the workout every now and then.

Week 2 Summary:

early Snack:       15 Pts. Ace!

Trouble meal:       5 Pts.

Workout:              9 Pts.

FKS                     1 Pts.

Selfcare:              3 Pts.?

On a sidenotice:

I weigh myself every week (I know a bit mutch but I will completely forget about it if I don't) and for the last three weeks I've been coming in with 61.3 kg at a height of 182cm (looked it up and thats arounf 6ft. 135lbs) while eating between 2.800 and 3.200 kcal so I will have to keep looking ot for chances to seak in some more calories... 4 meals is a start though.

Hope I will start getting back in touch I've been following along, just kept reading for this week.

And that is allready way too much text for a single post, so congrats and my deepest respect if you managed to get down here ;)

Regards,

Casbin

• Like 2

Character

On 6/26/2016 at 1:28 PM, Casbin said:

went to the match of our local footballteam but left after the 2nd quarter due to rain and some thunder + a soccergame as the european championship is underway. I'm not exactly a soccerfan but it's more of a social thing anyway.

Is your local team Hamburg?  Or a smaller team?  Americans are the same with baseball.  I don't know anyone that enjoys it, but tickets are cheap and it's fun to go and hang out with people.  Football, however, I like. Go Sankt Pauli!

On 6/26/2016 at 1:28 PM, Casbin said:

And that is allready way too much text for a single post, so congrats and my deepest respect if you managed to get down here

No respect needed, you're fun to read. :applouse:

• Like 1

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

On 2.7.2016 at 5:56 AM, Mekong said:

Is your local team Hamburg?  Or a smaller team?  Americans are the same with baseball.  I don't know anyone that enjoys it, but tickets are cheap and it's fun to go and hang out with people.  Football, however, I like. Go Sankt Pauli!

I'm sorry but I had a good laugh here. We managed quite a misunderstanding.

I had american football in mind when talking about football, we got a GFL1-Team in town.

After that it's been a Football game on TV (I thought you refer to that as Soccer?).

The game itself, I don't know maybe it's just developing too slowly for my taste as I grew up with watching handball.

And this hooligan stuff is definitely drawing me further away. We do have a third league team in town but I see why you like Pauli, the Club has a great feel to it.

Character

Alright and with that on to the last ten days.

Week 3 had a somewhat strange feel to it, I was feeling good on one hand but every time I tryed to force myself to do something it just vanished into thin air.

Monday:

Meals went fine but no workout

Tuesday:

Again meals went fine and I forced in my workout after work. Fitnessclass was back to a normal pace and volleyball was fun.

Wednesday:

Eating went allright but now workout and I got caught and watched some more episodes instead of checking in with you and doing something for myself.

Thursday:

Same all over, Eating was good but no workout and it stayed like that until Sunday.

Week 3 Summary:

early Snack:       15 Pts.

Trouble meal:       7 Pts.

Workout:              1 Pts.

Selfcare:              0 Pts.

Regarding week 4:

Monday:

Good on the eating part and had a lot of fun at our gamingnight. We've been creating new characters as we got a TPK on our last Campaign (think I could have prevented that if I could have found my notes...). It was a lot of fun to run the randomcreation again while feeling awkward about actually beeing more aquainted with the system then my fellow players for a change.

Again no workout

Tuesday:

Eating finished itself and I went to fitnessclass. We did our usual ropejumping routine and did some excercises with resistancebands and the wallballs. Thanks to Katrin kicking me in the right direction I also managed my workouts from there on out.

Wednesday:

Eating was fine, workout happened, had a walk with the dogs and my roommate for a change and spend the rest of the house on chores.

Oh and I did force myself to do the workout before going to bed.

Today:

Went pretty well. I only had a banana instead of a proper meal before heading for work but it's still eating.

Flutterkicks happened and I've had another quick walk with the dogs. I am also starting to feel like I get all my products done by lunch tomorrow which is a relieve oh and it

currently counts as weighttraining to me I've been working with a crazy footmodel there (thinnest part of the calf measures in with 40cm).

I will go and have dinner by the time I finish up here.

As I will be heading out of town I decided that I will finish the Challenge off here (but keep to the goals up to sunday).

Week 4 Summary:

early Snack:       15 Pts.

Trouble meal:       7 Pts.

Workout:              9 Pts.

Selfcare:              3 Pts.

Character

Final Scores:      (32 days)

early Snack:       63 / 72 Pts. passed

Trouble meal:     22 / 32 Pts. passed

Workout:            72 / 90 Pts. missed

FKS                     5  /  5 Pts.  passed

Selfcare:             15 / 27 Pts. passed

Looking at it like this is a bit surprising.

I felt really good about the eating part. Just last Challenge it felt like 3 meals a day were still far away and now I managed 4 meals on most days, this is great!

I'm torn about the workouts, there is this big hole from last week but 24 days with training is still something. I messed up the scheduling with starting to eat the whole meal and never really got back into doing it right in the morning. In addition I kept confusin myself as I had said that I wanted to finish it but also stated that I would be fine with 50%.

It's something to work on and that's what I'll do when both classes per week are working out fine.

Selfcare, well it was on short notice to begin with and I've been trying to figure it out while running. I'm content with it and would like to build up from there.

There is one thing I will not repeat and that is starting with 0 Week all over again. The prolonged timframe was really wearing me down and I've been close to losing the orientation around the halfwaypoint.

All in all it's the best feeling I got from a challenge so far, still lots to learn but there is progress in more then one sense.

I hope you are feeling good with your challenges as well.

For now I'll just enjoy a weekend out of town.

I'll see you around

Casbin

• Like 2

Character