Nice play :) You are going to get super legs with all those squats! Calling a few pistol squats light warm up makes me laugh. I am training here and dreaming of the day I ca do a single one and for you they are warm up... :D

Nice going on the offscreen time. And that breath hold is very impressive! Sounds to me similar to the yoga kapalabati breathing. It's so interesting when scientists get to the same things as ancient tradition, isn't it? I think it's great mankind rediscovers things fresh from time to time, keeps it lively

• Like 1
6 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Nice going on the offscreen time. And that breath hold is very impressive! Sounds to me similar to the yoga kapalabati breathing. It's so interesting when scientists get to the same things as ancient tradition, isn't it? I think it's great mankind rediscovers things fresh from time to time, keeps it lively

I did a repeat of the experiment this morning - and I managed 2 min 15 seconds!!! :o That's absolutely bonkers. 

I always think there's always a reason why some practices last for hundreds and thousands of years, just like myths and legends have a grain of truth in them. But for me I've always associated meditation and breathing practices with hippie/woo woo stuff coming from the yoga community, and since yoga was/is fundamentally a religious practice it kind of felt not applicable/not interesting to me. But these days a lot of "non-hippies" meditate and swear by it, including people on this forum. And to be honest it sounds like something my brain would appreciate, at least in theory. But whenever I've tried I've found it really boring. :P So this is a bit of an unusual turn for me, mostly triggered by reading/listening to about Wim Hof who's kind of nuts. And it's fun to experiment. :) 

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Me too! I've only just started to do single leg squats to a box and even those are a challenge for me.

Guys, I can do one single halfassed ugly pistol, If I had to do them for reps, I'd have to scale way back! So don't get too impressed! But thanks anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Norgaard said:

ouch! walkovers......

its have the same fear level as doing bungee jump without the cord!

LOL, it's not quite that bad, but pretty close. :D It's going to be a long journey...

52 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But for me I've always associated meditation and breathing practices with hippie/woo woo stuff coming from the yoga community, and since yoga was/is fundamentally a religious practice it kind of felt not applicable/not interesting to me.

If you're interested, MH, I can recommend the Headspace app. The basic course is free and it's a completely relaxed, common sense approach to starting meditation. Believe me, I'm as non-hippie, humanist, materialist, and non-religious as it gets and I get a lot of benefit out of daily meditation.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

If you're interested, MH, I can recommend the Headspace app. The basic course is free and it's a completely relaxed, common sense approach to starting meditation. Believe me, I'm as non-hippie, humanist, materialist, and non-religious as it gets and I get a lot of benefit out of daily meditation.

That's the app I use too.  It's the bomb!

• Like 1

For what it's worth, as far as boringness goes, there are loads of ways to meditate too! I just can't get myself to sit still and focus on breathing, but give me a guided body scan (especially when integrated into yoga- my shoulder stretch sequence begins and ends with a body scan and it is the most relaxing thing ever!) And I'm all for it. Glad you're finding a style that works for you :)

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

large.gif

I'm a closet hippie, but also a scientist.  I'm glad that all the science brought me back to the tradition of mindfulness.  It is very good for my brain.  I may also steal all your goals... ;)

Closet hippies are cool. What gets to me are seemingly sensible people that believe that if you mix exactly 50 50 ratio of pepper and turmeric you'll die a horrific death. I asked if this was by volume or weight and their eyes went completely blank. True story. 

Mindfulness I definitely need more of, don't know what form but I also do need to calm my monkey brain.

4 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Haha I actually downloaded it a few weeks ago since @Raxie's been using it and done all of 1 session. :P We'll see, this is a slowly creeping interest that I may or may not do something with.

1 hour ago, tourennatrix said:

For what it's worth, as far as boringness goes, there are loads of ways to meditate too! I just can't get myself to sit still and focus on breathing, but give me a guided body scan (especially when integrated into yoga- my shoulder stretch sequence begins and ends with a body scan and it is the most relaxing thing ever!) And I'm all for it. Glad you're finding a style that works for you :)

I've enjoyed quick body scans as well when I did yoga on a regular basis. I wouldn't say that I'm finding a style that suits me yet, to be honest I was just interested in what physiological response I'd get out of it and found it pretty cool! :P 

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 4

Yesterday was another lame day, just as today. Residual tiredness from last week? Weather turned for the worse? I don't know, but I'm quite meh and tired this week. And it's difficult to motivate myself when I'm feeling weak and stiff. I do realize that training will help in that department, but it's just not as fun. :P So my vague plan to do some backbends or real strength training or anything that was physically challenging turned into nothing. I did however start walking on walkovers! After procrastinating until exactly 8 pm when my device deadline kicked in. :redface: 

I practiced kicking off from a wall from a bridge, and kicking up into a split handstand and tapping the wall. My feet were miles away from the floor, I simply don't trust my body enough to go very far. Theoretically I should be fine, I have both the strength and flexibility for it. But I think subconsciously I'm worried that I won't be able to control my shoulders or that I'll slam my wrists into the floor. So to counteract that my body wants to twist out of the position, which is actually much more dangerous. I also don't like going fast because that means less control, but the movement will actually both be smoother and safer if I have more momentum. Silly brain. The key here I think is going to be frequent practice. Pushing my comfort zone but not going into the scary zone, and just drill it over and over again...

I also discovered that I'm too weak to push up into a bridge when my feet are elevated, which was a complete eye opener. I've seen lots of people struggle with regular bridges but could never reaaally understand it myself. It's just one of those skills that I've always been able to do. Now I understand. And it's kind of annoying. 

Afterwards I did some butt and hamstring rolling and stretching, all of them including an active component.

-  Pigeon with completely squared off front foot. I had to support my knee as I'm miles from the floor when my leg has that much external rotation. Quite humbling as normally pigeon is my relaxing stretch.

- Internal rotation stretch

- Cowface pose

- Fire log pose - stuff of nightmares for me

Goal #1: Make stuff work nice - Yep

Goal #2: Get back to basics - 0/3 strength training sessions. 

Goal #3: Something about diet - 1/2 (No junk for two days)

Goal #4: Get off the computer - 3/6.

Fun quest: Walkovers - 1/? practices

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha I actually downloaded it a few weeks ago since @Raxie's been using it and done all of 1 session. :P We'll see, this is a slowly creeping interest that I may or may not do something with.

Cool. I can report that after several months it's (meditation, not just Headspace specifically) helped me a lot with anxiety, stress, and monkey brain.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Closet hippies are cool. What gets to me are seemingly sensible people that believe that if you mix exactly 50 50 ratio of pepper and turmeric you'll die a horrific death. I asked if this was by volume or weight and their eyes went completely blank. True story. 

*twitch twitch*

Reasons I don't tell strangers I'm a doctor... stuff like this.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

This is at least 1/3rd of the population of the town I live in. Sad thing is, I've lived other places and had to come back because other places were too boring. (or so I tell myself because I can't seem to leave. This town is like a black hole, I swear)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

This is at least 1/3rd of the population of the town I live in. Sad thing is, I've lived other places and had to come back because other places were too boring. (or so I tell myself because I can't seem to leave. This town is like a black hole, I swear)

LOL, how do you cope? :P 

Week 0 Day 5

Bleergh, the tiredness still doesn't want to leave and I spent another day suffering from fuckarounditis. The only thing I managed is to organize my room, which I've been meaning to do for weeks, so yay for me! I did something!

Cravings were difficult. It's almost embarrassing that I managed all of 1.5 days before semi-caving in. I blame the delicious but way too small salad I had for lunch, but by the time I got home from work I just wanted to eat all the things. I didn't eat anything I'd consider very junky, but I did have a fil (kind of soured milk) with honeyed walnuts and a PB&J sandwich, not necessarily because it was the best option but to shut up the cravings. And an egg to make it seem less like dessert and more like a full meal. The combo of hungry and generally low energy is just terrible for me. I was even afraid of going to the post office because I wasn't sure whether I could resist buying any junk. :redface:

I also slipped a teeny bit on the no devices goal. I was putting a reminder in my calendar (perfectly acceptable) but before I knew it my fingers had auto-piloted to FB. I noticed pretty quickly and immediately stopped but it goes to show how strong the habit is! 

Trainingwise I did a few hip stretches while watching the beginning of Up. (I love the beginning, the rest is meh.) And that's it. 

Man I'm so glad it's the weekend now! :D

Goal #1: Make stuff work nice - 4/6

Goal #2: Get back to basics - 0/3 strength training sessions. 

Goal #3: Something about diet - 1.5/2 (No junk for two days)

1. Cook dinner - Passed, laab
  2. N/A - Forgot to set a goal
  3. No junk for two days - Passed
  4. No junk (From day 3) - Passed-ish

Goal #4: Get off the computer - 3.5/6. Accidental slip

Fun quest: Walkovers - 1/? practices

• Like 1

This weekend's food goals:

1. Batch cook or prep something

2. Get one thing from the bakery I always visit on Saturdays and really savour it.

Also Muse today! And climbing and BBQ tomorrow! Think this might end up a good weekend. :D

• Like 5

Hope the weekend was a good one after all!

If you are having a lot of trouble getting into a bridge with your feet elevated, you can start instead with practicing picking up one foot + holding it and then doing the other foot. If that's already too easy, you can try stepping onto a mat with your feet while already in the bridge. 

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

What kind of training can you do to help build strength for the bridges? Or just doing bridges should help on its own right?

One day I'll get back to my backwalkover boss battle goal.

I think I'm just really weak at pushing to be honest...

43 minutes ago, DinoBytes said:

Welcome back!!!!!!! I guess we all fell off and decided to come back around the same time?! What's this?! 

Following and wishing you all the luck! 

Yay you're back! :D Great minds or something. ;)

Thank youuu!

33 minutes ago, raptron said:

Hope the weekend was a good one after all!

If you are having a lot of trouble getting into a bridge with your feet elevated, you can start instead with practicing picking up one foot + holding it and then doing the other foot. If that's already too easy, you can try stepping onto a mat with your feet while already in the bridge. 

I had a brilliant weekend! But the thing about turning off devices at 8 is that I haven't had the time to post updates. :o But it will come.

I have no problem with lifting one leg, or stepping up onto a stool once I'm already in a bridge. Or walking up and down stairs, which incidentally is the best way to creep out people at the climbing gym! :D So I guess it's not my hip strength but my feeble pushing strength? If I were more flexible I could move closer and put more weight on my legs, but until then I simply need to get stronger methinks.