• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mission 1: Stronglifts - I haven't consistently lifted in a long time and I'm coming off a 2-year stretch where I didn't do any chest or lat work because it felt like it would pull my shoulder out of the socket. In the fall, I had done enough rehab that I was cleared to play volleyball (which I never stopped, but I did switch to setting exclusively) and had no other restrictions. So now I'm going to start from square one, enjoy a period of newb-gainz, and see where I'm at. I'm going to start at 45# (65# for pulls from the floor), incrementing initially at 10# for squat, 20# for DL, and 5# for press, bench, and row. Accessory work will be centered around improving mobility and form for now.

Goal: 12 sessions

Mission 2: Mobility – I'm active and my shoulder is now firmly in the socket, but I'm severely immobile. I've been working on my lower body mobility in order to start out with some reasonable squat form. I took a broomstick and tested the low bar position. Turns out my shoulder mobility is also garbage. It'll take some stretching and rolling to get that ironed out. Luckily, the first few weeks shouldn't be too taxing and allow for more focus here.

Goal: 16 sessions (I have to do mobility work prior to lifting anyway to get the correct ROM)

Focus: Hips, calves, shoulders

Mission 3: Stay active – On the days I'm not lifting, I need to get off my butt and do something. My activities would be: walk around the lake, bike to work, and volleyball. Walking around the lake and volleyball are both worth 1 point. I'll probably take the month off from volleyball anyway as we're in the only significant gap between seasons of the year. Biking to work I'm going to set at 3 points. It's 45 minutes each way plus I have to get up extra early to do it.  I'll hold using the elliptical in reserve for rainy days.

Goal: 12 points (if I bike to work once a week, I'd be happy with that)

Mission 4: Diet – Here I'm not going to do much. I'm generally fairly high protein, fairly low carb, and I don't really focus on fat one way or the other other than to try and incorporate healthy fat sources. I do want to track what I eat regularly so I can document what my current diet is. This baseline will be important going forward. I'm thinking about 2000-2200 calories on a typical day (which is a deficit) and I'm prone to cheating when I go out which keeps my regular deficit from really adding up to faster weight loss.

Goal: Track 20 days

Mission 5: Life++ - I'm going to make a list of things I should have already done or need to do but regularly procrastinate or avoid. I figure if at the end of the month, I've gotten some of these things done, it'll be a vast improvement over the last 3 months where none of them have gotten done:

1. Throw out the desk in the living room

2. Throw out the recliner in the living room

3. Replace the outlets in the basement

4. Triage my wardrobe for things I should have thrown out long ago

5. Fix the lawn mower (currently borrowing a lawn mower)

6. Mount the bathroom towel rack

7. Clean out the leaves in front of the house

8. Throw out computer components in the closet

9. Demo the ceiling in the downstairs room

10. Build a top hat into the ceiling in the downstairs room

11. Get a checkup. I'm due and I hate going to the doctor.

12. Get my wisdom teeth pulled. My dentist said I should. I just need to arrange it prior to them becoming a problem.

13. Finish the voice modulator (Halloween project 1).  This counts whether it works or not.

14. Make a meaningful progress towards getting my PE (take a practice exam, start a practice book, schedule the FE)

15. Fix the shower knob

16. Hang up a decorative item.  Anything.

Goal: Amass 4 points. Items not completed will roll over into the next challenge where I may increment their value, but also increase this goal.

Prize: A strong performance in this challenge will reward one powerlifting belt (I'm thinking a Rogue Fitness Ohio belt).

• Like 7

Tracking:

Stronglifts:  (3/3)(3/3)(3/3)(3/3)

Mobility: (4/4)(4/4)(4/4)(4/4)

Activity: (3/3)(3/3)(3/3)(3/3)

Logging: (7/5)(7/5)(7/5)(5/5)

Life Points: (1/1)(0/1)(0/1)(1/1)

I think the life goals are going to have a lot added this week as I walk around my house and find things I should have done long ago.  If it's on the list, it has a chance.  Also, I wrote this challenge in open office a couple days ago and just C/P'ed it in.  I definitely didn't plagiarize and I don't know why our user names are also so similar.  This is weird.

Edit:  Until a second ago, we were both also rebels posting warrior challenges.  Now that I've become a warrior, we're clearly two different people.  Clearly.

• Like 4

Haha, I wasn't accusing you of plagiarism! I just thought it was funny. Did you move recently? I have a lot of similar stuff to do because I just moved.

Ha!  I have made the list because I moved into my house..... 3.5 years ago.  I'm just better at destroying things than fixing them.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Edit:  Until a second ago, we were both also rebels posting warrior challenges.  Now that I've become a warrior, we're clearly two different people.  Clearly.

Oh shoot, so I guess I shouldn't change now, huh? ;P

• Like 1

As to wisdom teeth.  I had 8 (yep an extra set).  They never bothered me, so I never bothered them.  Til I was about 50 years old and a dentist told me "Tooth enamel disolves bone.  The wisdom teeth that are in your jaw, even though they are not impacted, will eventually weaken your jaw to the point it will snap when you are eating an apple".  I think I had them out a month later.

Last dentist appointment, I was diagnosed with a cavity in one of my wisdom teeth.  I had a problem with one a few years ago and had it pulled.  My dentist said might as well pull this one.  Give the location of the teeth, they are tough to brush well.  Once I get this one pulled, the two bottom ones won't have opposing teeth to be functional, so I'll just have all of them pulled.  It gets more complicated because they want to sedate me for the lower teeth because of how long my roots are and that the bottom teeth connect to the jaw.  That means I need to have someone with me.  It's just a whole ordeal.  

Following for stronglifts!

Have you considered doing some facepulls (low weight, 3 sets of 10-15 reps) at the end of each workout? On my favourite german fitnesssite (science, no broscience) they recommend it for shoulderstability and the muscles between your shoulderblades for improving stability. Sounds like a good thing for your issues.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've done some facepulls but generally have stuck to reverse flies, db ohp, rows, and a row variant I call the wheelbarrow lift.  I don't know what it's actually called, but it's a low underhanded row where you pull right up into your armpits (or try to).  

HII! Awesome challenge! Cool Tattoos! Boo wisdom teeth - I had mine out when I was 16. It was not so fun.

I've liked facepulls for my shoulder issues. In that, when I do them, I have fewer issues (it's remembering to do them that's the problem lol)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Following for stronglifts!

Have you considered doing some facepulls (low weight, 3 sets of 10-15 reps) at the end of each workout? On my favourite german fitnesssite (science, no broscience) they recommend it for shoulderstability and the muscles between your shoulderblades for improving stability. Sounds like a good thing for your issues.

I <3 facepulls.

AAARRRGGGHHH!

So I didn't get a tracking number on my power rack until this morning (it shipped 6/2).  So after I get the email from the vendor, I check the carrier site and the unit is out for delivery.  They were supposed to call me the day before to schedule delivery.  I'm not home.  I almost immediately get a call from the carrier - "Hey, no one is home."  Of course no one is home.  I don't sit at my house waiting on deliveries for days on end.  So now I have to set up delivery for tomorrow, but they won't commit to any time frame - just "our delivery hours are 9 - 5."  The only concession I got was the driver will call me 1hr prior.  They are supposed to lock in a 2 hour window the day before.  If I had known they were delivering today, I could have been there.  What do I do now?  Sit at home tomorrow hoping they show up before noon so I can go to work after?  I can take the day off, but I don't want to.  Great googily moogily!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grymm said:

AAARRRGGGHHH!

ARGGH indeed! I had a similar thing happen with a huge piece of equipment - essentially a log. I did track and arranged to take off the day it was due, and it didn't show up. I found out later that the UPS guy didn't feel like bringing it up that day because it was so heavy. Just left it on the truck. I ended up burning another day off to receive it. GAH. and of course it's for stuff we really really want... :apologetic:

11 hours ago, Grymm said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've done some facepulls but generally have stuck to reverse flies, db ohp, rows, and a row variant I call the wheelbarrow lift.  I don't know what it's actually called, but it's a low underhanded row where you pull right up into your armpits (or try to).  

I love the one with the towel or rope standing. See Video

7 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I <3 facepulls.

I do too