• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Also, I just realized I sat here reading the forums for 30 minutes with my PC headphones on over my bluetooth earbuds.  I'm doing it wrong.

• Like 5

Jumping in a bit late, but will be following along :). Best of luck re-building your strength base! And I'll add myself to the list of people that are jealous of your home set-up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grymm said:

Rest day - walked around the lake.  This is my neighborhood:

Reveal hidden contents

fslXPda.jpg

It's good to get ahead on things now while the weather is nice.  

Food has been tracked.  No adulting points yet.  I have to go to bed early to lift in the morning - building new habits.

This is the lake near you???? GORGEOUS! :lol:

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

Also, I just realized I sat here reading the forums for 30 minutes with my PC headphones on over my bluetooth earbuds.  I'm doing it wrong.

lmao. That is all.

TBxN5sN.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

This is the lake near you???? GORGEOUS! :lol:

The lake is about 200 feet from my house.  When I say walk around the lake, I just walk out my front door and continue around the lake.  It's a pretty nice little piece of much-maligned NJ I live in.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Grymm said:

Rest day - walked around the lake.  This is my neighborhood:

Reveal hidden contents

fslXPda.jpg

It's good to get ahead on things now while the weather is nice.  

Food has been tracked.  No adulting points yet.  I have to go to bed early to lift in the morning - building new habits.

Oh man, that's gorgeous. Outside is pretty great~

• Like 1

So yesterday it was again glorious out.  I was sitting at work thinking, “Man, I need to get some groceries.”  Now, given that I eat nearly the same thing every day, grocery shopping is easy.  I figure I need sweet potatoes, broccoli, yogurt, bananas, and meat.  My usual grocery store is about 1.8 miles away, but there is another, nicer grocery store 1.4 miles the other way.  What the hell, let’s try the nicer one.  I’m sure saving the extra distance on the walk back will be appreciated. 

Well, it took a long time for grocery prices to soak through my thick skull.  I used to just get whatever and see how much it was.  I still can’t tell you how much a gallon of milk should cost.  But I have a really good idea on chicken, yogurt, bananas, and broccoli.  I go through metric tons of these specific things.  Sweet potatoes are a recent addition.  I didn’t even like them for 35 years.  Anyway, as I’m making my rounds, I’m immediately kicking myself.  $2/lb more for chicken.  $0.50 more per yogurt.  $1/lb more on broccoli.  The total hit came out to $15-$20 because I was too lazy to walk another 0.75 miles.

Sunday through Thursday, my diet is pretty on point.  I’ve been hungrier so I’ve been eating more toward 2500 calories.  If I would behave on the weekend, I’d probably still be losing weight.  As stated in the challenge, losing is not really a goal, but I figure while the weights are light, I might as well get something accomplished. 

Also, this:

smooch.gif

• Like 4

When I get to jersey, for the first time in my life, I'm going to be closer to a Whole Foods than a Wal-Mart or Winn Dixie. Why does morristown not have it's own Wal-Mart?

I have a feeling my grocery spending might increase out of shear laziness. (can walk to whole foods, must drive anywhere else)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

There is a Walmart on ridgedale, a shop rite on Hanover, Kings is on south street, and you already know about the whole foods on Washington.  My recommendation would probably be shop rite, but if whole foods fits in your budget, go crazy.  Here in suburbia, I'm used to driving everywhere.

Did light dumbbell work for a warm up.

Mobility - Check.  I actually tried doing my warmup squats without doing some paleo chair and my hips just locked on the way down.  Note to self, don't cheat mobility.  Mobility knows.

Squats:  5x45, 5x5x65 Hand position still improving.  I need to remember to set the safeties to squat height as just a good habit.  If they stay at bench height, it'll work, but I'm sure down the road I would appreciate the extra 4-6 inches of not being folded in half.

Bench: 6x5x50 After giving pointers yesterday on how to drive the legs, I was sure to really set my position today.  I considered just jumping 10lbs but my shoulder heard what I was up to and vetoed that idea.  A little pinching during warm ups was enough for me to think maybe I should give the little plates some love.  Besides, my elbows are not consistent.

Rows: 6x5x70 I do enjoy these.

So at this point in the week, I've complete mobility, lifting, activity, and tracking.  All I need is to earn some adulting points tomorrow.  I think I'll have a taylor ham (pork roll), egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel when I get to work.  It's already tracked on MFP you say?  Oh, this is happening.

BONUS CHALLENGE:  Mow the lawn, wash the truck, and get a haircut this weekend.

• Like 6

There is a Walmart on ridgedale, a shop rite on Hanover, Kings is on south street, and you already know about the whole foods on Washington.  My recommendation would probably be shop rite, but if whole foods fits in your budget, go crazy.  Here in suburbia, I'm used to driving everywhere.

It's so not in my budget lol. I'll definitely try shop rite. I just see myself missing one ingredient and deciding driving somewhere isn't worth it and just walking to whole wallet. If I do that enough... Ouch.

I drive everywhere currently, but I thought you Yankees had better public transportation and walked places

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Public transit is a myth in most of the US.  NYC has a workable subway and there is light rail/path in areas of NJ right next to it.  Out this way, it's a drive everywhere system.  You can take the train in and out of NYC.  It's not useful to get anywhere in NJ.  Uber works.  There are no cabs just driving around.  I saw a bus once.  The T in Boston is decent.  Philadelphia... don't go there.  All the streets are one way (similar to NY) but they form neither a grid nor a coherent system.

Walmart is Walmart.  I'd imagine they are mostly the same.  The one in Morristown is not a "super" Walmart.  You can buy all the things you should never eat - chips, soda, cookies, candy, etc.  I don't think you can get produce or any kind of unsalted/dried meat.

Shop Rite is a decent super market - I find the prices to be decent (more than Walmart, but probably not much).  Quality is decent.  I do all of my food shopping at Shop Rite, though I only go to that specific one if I'm going straight from work.  The parking lot is stupid.  You will see.  They branched out to a lot of buffet/lunch food and alcohol in the last few years.  The one in Morristown has a freaking oyster bar.  Why?  I don't know.  They want to be Wegmans (upstate NY brand), and they aren't doing that bad a job of it.

Kings has great quality stuff.  Fresh produce, great butcher.  It's a smaller store so not a ton of selection.  Everything is expensive.  I would say Kings is high quality with prices to match.  I have to admit, even the frozen bag of broccoli I bought is better than my normal frozen shop rite broccoli, but I don't think the price is justified.

Whole Foods you seem familiar with - organic, natural stuff.  I've never been in Whole Foods, but I assume the prices on most things are similar to Kings.

And that's the local food store scouting report.  

• Like 2

On 6/17/2016 at 7:52 AM, Grymm said:

BONUS CHALLENGE:  Mow the lawn, wash the truck, and get a haircut this weekend.

Update:  Lawn mowed, truck washed, off to get a haircut. Haircut done.  3/3.

Also, found this video (on imgur) that puts your snow angels to shame.

• Like 6

Ok, week 1 officially over.

Lift - 3/3 - more impressively all done in the morning starting before 6:30.  I hate getting up in the mornings and I'm exhausted by 8pm, but this is the way I wanted to do it.

Mobility - 4/4 This really is just getting in (1) mobility session outside of lifting.

Active - 3/3 (actual more than that, but I'm only counting 3 so that I continue to be active.  Getting outside is good.)

Tracking - I've actually tracked every day for over (2) weeks.  Given that I'm most prone to misbehaving on the weekend which are also the days I'm most likely not to track, I'm just going to try and track every day.

Life++ - I actually put up the towel rack in bathroom.  I kid you not, I bought that towel rack 6 months ago.

Diet for the week looked like this:

Cal 2526/C 203/F 98/P 205 << These are pretty good numbers.  I'm not going to change anything.  (6) of the days were between 2420 and 2562.  That's pretty consistent.  The outlier was only 2851 due in part to a celebratory taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel and some free cake at work.  Over the course of the week, I dropped back down to what my min weight of late has been.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I kid you not, I bought that towel rack 6 months ago.

Are you trying to say this is uncommon? :o Oh my, I have stuff to work on... ;)

Good first week!

• Like 2

Bah!  Monday!

Got up at 5:30, no alarm, but didn't actually get up until 6.  Ate a light breakfast #1 (nuts/seeds/dried cranberries mix, yogurt, banana) and just wasted time until 6:40.  Workout took until 8:00.  I need to get in gear a little faster because I can see these sessions getting pretty long (unless my warmup significantly shortens).  Tried to cheat the mobility a little today on the paleo chair and the hips were not having it.  Wound up doing paleo chair with the bar during my first set for 15 seconds at a time waiting for gravity to stretch me into bottom position.  This might be an ok approach, but wasn't the plan.  

Squat: 5x45, 5x5x75 Nothing to really report here.  Working on my breathing.  On these lighter weights, I come up pretty fast and my first thought is to lock and then hit the next rep.  It works pretty well at 1 breath for (3) reps, but a set of (5) doesn't work as well on one breath.  Long term, (1) breath per rep works great if I spend more than half a second up top.

Press: 6x5x50  I can probably get up to 60 on the bar before I hit the ceiling.  Going to need to work on the ceiling this weekend.

Deadlifts:  6x5x85  I turned the last rep of each set into a power clean just to amuse myself.  On set (3), I then proceeded to press the bar directly into the ceiling for some reason.

Anyway, week (2) off to a decent start.

• Like 5

I just had a thought that might be of interest to those on the forum trying to build a positive mindset.  When someone asks how I am doing (which happens regularly as I interact with people throughout the work day), I never answer "fine", "good", or "ok".  I find those responses to be inherently boring and non-descriptive.  Sure, most people just ask out of habit, but I don't need another boring 5 seconds added to my day.  I almost always answer some variant of "excellent", "spectacular", or occasionally I'll throw out a "magnificent".  Granted, I don't really have anything to be upset about and compared to most people, I'm probably feeling excellent.  However, I think just pulling yourself together and being excellent for 5 seconds is doable.  And when you respond like that, people take notice.  Because a response other than good/fine/ok is rare, people aren't prepared to think about what you reply.  But when you throw out a "magnificent", they take notice.  And sometimes people taking notice of what you say when they would otherwise not is a little positive feather to put in your cap.  Maybe you aren't excellent, but I think you can probably think of something to say that is positive and at least marginally interesting to say to the cashier that might get a smile.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Grymm said:

some variant of "excellent", "spectacular", or occasionally I'll throw out a "magnificent". 

This is s true and contagious as well. I knew this super upbeat kid that always responded with - GREAT! and not just great, but with a genuine shit eating and enthusiastic grin. He always lit up a room even though he was fairly soft spoken after the initial great. That bit of enthusiasm seemed to go a long way for him and everyone around him, and it was hard not to smile when talking to him.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I just had a thought that might be of interest to those on the forum trying to build a positive mindset.  When someone asks how I am doing (which happens regularly as I interact with people throughout the work day), I never answer "fine", "good", or "ok".  I find those responses to be inherently boring and non-descriptive.  Sure, most people just ask out of habit, but I don't need another boring 5 seconds added to my day.  I almost always answer some variant of "excellent", "spectacular", or occasionally I'll throw out a "magnificent".  Granted, I don't really have anything to be upset about and compared to most people, I'm probably feeling excellent.  However, I think just pulling yourself together and being excellent for 5 seconds is doable.  And when you respond like that, people take notice.  Because a response other than good/fine/ok is rare, people aren't prepared to think about what you reply.  But when you throw out a "magnificent", they take notice.  And sometimes people taking notice of what you say when they would otherwise not is a little positive feather to put in your cap.  Maybe you aren't excellent, but I think you can probably think of something to say that is positive and at least marginally interesting to say to the cashier that might get a smile.

I once did an interesting Experiment regarding this: be absolutely honest

"Hey, how are you" "Bad, thank you" "Good good, I'm fine too" Wait...

Some People obviously don't listen or are interested in it, they ask as Habit of good behaviour, some People don't know how to respond when you have a shitty day. Try it out, you'll be surprised I bet!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

I once did an interesting Experiment regarding this: be absolutely honest

"Hey, how are you" "Bad, thank you" "Good good, I'm fine too" Wait...

Some People obviously don't listen or are interested in it, they ask as Habit of good behaviour, some People don't know how to respond when you have a shitty day. Try it out, you'll be surprised I bet!

To be honest, I have almost no shitty days.  My mood is roughly a 7 out of 10 almost all of the time.  My actual priority list is so short, most things don't bother me in the least.  And if you are riding a string of say 100 consecutive pretty good days, I think that qualifies as excellent through the shear consistent lack of shitty.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

To be honest, I have almost no shitty days.  My mood is roughly a 7 out of 10 almost all of the time.  My actual priority list is so short, most things don't bother me in the least.  And if you are riding a string of say 100 consecutive pretty good days, I think that qualifies as excellent through the shear consistent lack of shitty.

As someone with depression, this is nothing short of a superpower.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grizzy said:

As someone with depression, this is nothing short of a superpower.

Yeah, I fully understand and appreciate it.  It's certainly not perfect, but it provides a good base for a lot of things.  I also try to refrain from offering advice on things like depression because my wiring makes empathy for that difficult (empathy, not to be confused with sympathy).  

• Like 1

Still getting started too slowly in the morning.  I woke up at 5:30 and didn't start warming up until 6:45.  I did have oatmeal for the first time in... what year is it?  This was due in large part because I'm out of bananas.

My warm up usually includes doing the stairs 3-4 times as I forget things - spoon for my oatmeal, phone for music, belt for dislocates.

Mobility - check

S: 5x45, 5x5x85 Mediocre form at best.  I get pre-occupied with my shoulders and hand position.

B: 6x55 I worked on arch and leg drive this morning.  I want to put my knees at a right angle, but when I tense up, it can lift my butt off the bench.  I think I just need to move my feet down a couple of inches to shorten my knee height.  My best position seems to be almost glute bridge as long as my butt is touching.  

R: 6x5x75 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 9:17 PM, Grymm said:

Yes, this is very much me too.  In fact I just had a 10 day I should go mention in my challenge thread.

Have you done anything on the PE? (or FE).  Which discipline? I gather its been a while since college for you, yikes, I couldn't imagine taking the FE without college being recent, that test was brutal.  I never got around to the PE though, I just don't need it and I would gain nothing of use by taking and passing it.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Yes, this is very much me too.  In fact I just had a 10 day I should go mention in my challenge thread.

Have you done anything on the PE? (or FE).  Which discipline? I gather its been a while since college for you, yikes, I couldn't imagine taking the FE without college being recent, that test was brutal.  I never got around to the PE though, I just don't need it and I would gain nothing of use by taking and passing it.

I didn't take the FE coming out of college.  At work, the chief engineer has prodded me a couple times to get my PE.  I really don't think it would be much of an issue.  I'm an exceptional test taker.  My approach would probably be to get some prep materials with sample test questions, half ass it for about a month, and just walk in and take the FE.  Actually taking the test would be a big learning event for me.  I might pass it.  I might not.  If not, I'll have a solid impression of the fastest route from point A to point B.

I'm a mechanical engineer.  My dynamics, mechanics, and statics are still pretty strong.  My thermo, electrical, and even simple fluid calcs will be ok with a little attention.  For work, I would just put PE on my business card.  Maybe, over time, I'd accrue more states and be of use.  If I wanted to retire early, getting a PE in ME and structural in California would get me set for life.

• Like 2