• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

When I have days I know it's not possible to find time to work out, I focus on recovery. I watch my diet, sleep, and stretching. 

Good luck to ya, sounds like harsh hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

When I have days I know it's not possible to find time to work out, I focus on recovery. I watch my diet, sleep, and stretching. 

Good luck to ya, sounds like harsh hours. 

I actually haven't missed a workout yet this challenge.  At least lifting in the morning means I get it in before other things make it difficult.  However, I do need to work on getting more sleep.

• Like 1

Took my walk between rain storms yesterday and did another lap today before some thoracic mobility work.  That brings the fitness portion of this week back up to speed.  Now I just need some adulting points.  It's a long weekend, so I should be able to knock some out.

• Like 5

On July 2, 2016 at 0:12 AM, Grymm said:

I actually haven't missed a workout yet this challenge.  At least lifting in the morning means I get it in before other things make it difficult.  However, I do need to work on getting more sleep.

Right on! I love having that momentum with work outs. 

S: 5x45, 5x95, 5x5x135 - That's right!  Got to dust off the 45s!

P: 5x5x65 - These are full diameter plates which don't clear the ceiling. I did the reps sitting down on the bench taking the bar off the safeties.  This is a much harder way of doing it with no lower body stabilization.  I don't like it.  I'll either make room in the ceiling or switch to dumbbells.  

D: 5x5x145

Weighed in at 261 after my shower.  This is now the lightest I've been in at least 10 years despite going up to 2800-3000 calories last week.  As my goal is to build up the muscles in my lower back and then later everything else, I don't really take losing weight as a good sign.  Granted, post workout, I'm probably down 1-2# of water even after a shower, it's still trending down overall.  I feel perfectly justified eating all of the things today.  Additionally, if I don't bounce back to 264#, I'm going to up the intake again.

• Like 5

Project eat all the things went according to plan.  I just weighed in +4.6#.  I'd say 2.5-3# of that is food.  I'm going to attempt to tally up what I just ate.

• Like 2

As best as I can tell, dinner was 3368 calories with 187 protein.  The only other thing I ate today was light breakfast before working out, so the day is actually not that far out of line - 3771 (226 protein).  I'm about even as to whether I'm over or under logging, so that's as accurate as that will get.  

• Like 1

Got a walk in and mobility today.  I fly to Los Angeles mid afternoon tomorrow.  If I can get some kind of walk/activity in sometime Thursday or Friday, I should make the week.  I'll lift tomorrow morning per usual and Saturday when I get back.  I also fixed the bathroom shower knob for a sweet adulting point.  

You know how whenever you need something, it fails you?  Well, I did my pre-trip safety gear review and found that my new fall harness is no bueno.  See if you can spot the problem:

lOULD1x.jpgbhrsh71.jpg

Answer:

It's tough to tell as the harness runs inside the vest, but the one shoulder strap runs under the arm hole.  As the vest is built around the harness, I can't fix the shoulder strap without ripping the vest apart.  In all likelihood, I will not need to tie off anywhere, but this vest is a no-go.  I will have to borrow one from the field office - some hand me down dirty harness.  I don't like wearing the harness, but this bummed me out.  I like being self sufficient, and this new harness has failed me.  Boots, check.  Glasses, check.  Gloves, check.  Tie off strap, check.  Harness....    Harness...   Harness....  Dammit harness!  Crusty jugglers!

So tomorrow I go to Los Angeles for (2) days when I have an avalanche of work I could be doing so that I can have an all day meeting Thursday that does not require me in the least (and should be in my office anyway) and do a partial field survey that should take maybe (2) hours and doesn't require me either.

• Like 1

Mobility - Check

S: 2x5x45 (had issues with setting the safeties to the proper height), 5x95, 5x5x145

B: 5x45, 5x5x80, 5x5x85 Doubled bench again.  I need to put a 3/4" piece of plywood under the bench to get the safety height perfect.

R: 6x5x90

I think I'm going to finish out on Saturday at S-155 and then back it down to 5# per workout.  I'm not in a race to any specific goal. Most of the after effects I feel from the workouts are from the stretching, but do I think I'm going to hit 5x5x225 before the end of July?  I'm still transitioning to pushing hard.  Also, this workout took 90 minutes without a lot of resting.  If I wanted to push into heavy weight, I'd have to rest more, take longer, and get up earlier.  

35 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Also, this workout took 90 minutes without a lot of resting.  If I wanted to push into heavy weight, I'd have to rest more, take longer, and get up earlier.

I always battle the time issue in the gym. When my weights get high the time obviously goes up a bit. I think 90 minutes is pretty reasonable for a strength session. My workouts take right around that time and I wait 2-3 minutes between my heavier sets and then accessory work is a little longer.

It sounds like you are sitting in at a good working weight with the various lifts to match your goals though!

My SL workouts are over 90 minutes, too - more when I'm taking 5 min per rest.  I don't really mind it, but it does mean that I have less time for other things, and the time decreased when I went to 3x3 for some stuff. 

It is part of the reason that I am switching (although mostly the reason is b/c I am getting  a little long in the tooth) - to have time to add in conditioning. 

Bummer on the fall harness. 

42 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I always battle the time issue in the gym. When my weights get high the time obviously goes up a bit. I think 90 minutes is pretty reasonable for a strength session. My workouts take right around that time and I wait 2-3 minutes between my heavier sets and then accessory work is a little longer.

It sounds like you are sitting in at a good working weight with the various lifts to match your goals though!

I think I need to develop a better warm up.  I'm hoping over time that the amount of stretching I need to do prior to lifting will decrease.  I have already been able to cut the shoulder dislocates down from 5 sets to 4.  I'm flying through the actual lifting.  I did all 25 sets in about an hour.  I've been doing no accessory work.  I consider the mobility to be my accessory work for now.  I'd like to add one accessory per workout and keep the total time under maybe 2 hours.  I think that's doable. 

90 minutes for lifting is my minimum.

It takes me around 2 hours lately, but spending two and a half hours is also entirely possible depending on the program I'm on. For example, if I'm doing both squats and deadlifts at the same session (which I haven't done in a while).

• Like 3

Mobility - check

S: 2x5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x5x155

P: 5x3x(2x35) 5x2x(2x35, one arm at a time) << seated with dumbbells.  I didn't like seated with the barbell.  I twinged something in my upper/mid back kind of in the lower trap, under the rhomboid area.  I think it's a small spinal erector tied into my neck or something.  It didn't hurt during the sets, but if I drop my head down, it hurts a bit stretching out.  I think this is from trying to sleep on the plane last night and just acted up pulling the dumbbells up into place.

D:  2x1x135, 5x165 

Really not a good day lifting.  My back is all whacked out from traveling - hotel beds + airline seats.  Poor and inconsistent sleep schedule, garbage diet, and dehydration - check.  I got my progress sets in and called it.  I felt like my back was fatiguing quickly so I kept to the minimum.  I had no posterior push on the squats.  I felt like I was squatting entirely with my adductors.  Reps were slow.  

The trip to Los Angeles was as expected.  I pretty much flew 3000 miles to do nothing.  The field office didn't know what they sold, and the Thursday meeting was pointless.  Friday's field survey gave no useful findings other than after talking to a rep of the GC for a few minutes and determining that the field didn't explain what our structural requirements were.  My flight home was delayed until about 10:30pm and landed at 5:30 am.  I think I slept about an hour on the plane in 5 minute increments.  I got home at 7:30 am this morning and slept from 8 am to 2pm.  I got up to work out.  

The one bonus is I did get a lot of walking in out in LA, and I got free Slipknot tickets for tonight from a co-worker.  

12 hours ago, Grymm said:

The one bonus is I did get a lot of walking in out in LA, and I got free Slipknot tickets for tonight from a co-worker.  

A couple of positive things at least. *looked for the silver lining*

So I guess the challenge ended.  Overall, it went pretty well.  I learned enough to focus a bit more for the next challenge.

1.  Stronglifts:  12/12.  I didn't miss a session.  I kept the double squat/deadlift progression for the entire challenge and started doubling bench the last two weeks.  Next challenge, I'm going to slow progression down to the normal amount. 

2.  Mobility:  16/16.  Given that I can't squat without it, this challenge was mostly completed just by getting my lifting in.  Thoracic mobility work on the extra session was beneficial, but can't be done the night before I lift. 

3.  Activity: 12/12.  Early on, I was going over this limit easily and didn't track the extra laps around the lake.  Consistency was more important than being really active for two weeks.  I didn't ride my bike at all, so I might add in a bike specific goal next challenge.  Riding to and from work just isn't going to happen other than on rare occasions.

4.  Tracking:  20/20.  I actually tracked every day on MFP except the (3) in LA.  And those two days I have written down if I wanted to try and enter them.  I upped the calories mid way through the challenge.  I'm eating around 2800-3000 now. 

5.  Adulting points: 2/4.  This was my only subpar category.  I did start demoing the basement ceiling, but haven't finished.  I'll try and get the (2) points this week just to finish it out.

Overall, not bad.  I need to get the basement work done so I can get back to normal overhead press. 

Today, I moved lifting from the morning to after work.  I'm sore from the lifting/slipknot double header Friday and last night was my first decent night's sleep since before Los Angeles.  The extra 90 minutes was much appreciated.  I haven't put any additional thought into which belt I might get.  I even contemplated opting for lifting shoes instead.  Maybe I'll think about it tonight.  I don't get particularly excited about buying things, but I figure if it'll help me progress farther with a little less difficulty, it's a practical investment.

• Like 4

Great job, Grymm.

Doing 100% on four goals is great. And it has sounded like LA threw you off, bad sleep does that so considering that, even greater in my mind! :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Great job, Grymm.

Doing 100% on four goals is great. And it has sounded like LA threw you off, bad sleep does that so considering that, even greater in my mind! :D

Ooh!  Colors! 

Work travel always throws everything off for me.  I'm a creature of habit.  Also, my bed is an extra firm foam mattress.  Most hotel beds, even if comfortable, are too soft.  If I sit up straight, my head is fully over the back of an airline seat.  The head rests on the plane we took too and from LA could only slide up to the base of my skull.  Also, the recline is never far enough to get the center of mass of my torso behind the base of my spine.  As such, I can never sit up and lean back.  My natural tendency is to fall forward.  So it's slouch or fall forward if I want to try and sleep.  Both are bad ideas.  Also, I don't like the perceived lack of freedom during work travel.  We stay at the same hotel, work in the same office, and eat at the same restaurant after work.  The people I work with are lovely people, but it feels like my entire day is already planned out in a location I don't really want to be.  Waa Waa! Work travel.  I'm back on my routine now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Holy cow, Grymm.  You absolutely beasted it!  Well done!

Thanks. 

I'm brainstorming my next challenge.  I couldn't figure out how I didn't have much free time until I planned out my lifting days - 10 hours work, 8 hours sleep, 2 hours lifting - that's 20 hours right there.  Shower, cook, and eat dinner is another 90 minutes.  That leaves 2 1/2 hours throughout the day that are not accounted for.  I need some down time before bed, so it makes sense that (3) days a week, I'm not going to get much done.  Any extra free time is going to come out of my sleep.  That just means on the (2) non-lifting days, I have about an extra 1 hour of free time (my activity takes about an hour).  Weekends need at least one productive day - chores, adulating points, etc.

My next challenge is going to be a copy of this challenge but with different specifics. 

• Like 1