DrFeelgood XII: Flash Man

DrFeelgood

7 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

We'll see how autumn goes here--I may bring the beard back during cooler weather.  It probably won't ever get to Iowa levels, though. ;)

773678_10152425973115063_871536087_o.jpg

Deftona approves of this facial hair situation 

• Like 2

The Sarcastic Computator

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Funny you said that because this morning I'm leaning toward shaving it all off.  I don't know how moving to Oklahoma made it all-of-the-sudden the most unmanageably wavy hair I've ever had, but it's beginning to annoy me.  I was aiming for David Beckham, but I seem to keep hitting George McFly. :lol:

I think it's time for something a little shorter.  Who's got men's hair savvy?  I'll take recommendations since I know pretty much nothing about fashion--otherwise I'm just going to default to the old regulation crop (USAF version).

Mohawk, definitly! ;)

My husband has something like this. But this is awesome too ;)

I like hair you can put your fingers through, not too short. I like this style. This can look handsome too. You should find a couple of pics you like on google. (Search for "men hairstyle 2016" or something like that) and go with it to a hairdresser to get advise. You've got thick hair from what I see on your picture, you can do a lot with that :) 

Not a fan of the beard though, but it does make Def happy ;) 

• Like 4
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

21 hours ago, deftona said:

Deftona approves of this facial hair situation 

That's Mountain-man DFG.  He doesn't get out of the cage much, and when he does he frightens little children. :D

20 hours ago, Ensi said:

Always great to read your updates, DrFeels! And hair... Here's some inspiration:

If I hadn't spent all of 2013 and 2014 growing my hair out to donate then I might be tempted in to considering a long style again.  Alas, I have no desire for the amount of work it took to keep it healthy.

19 hours ago, Terah said:

Mohawk, definitly! ;)

My husband has something like this. But this is awesome too ;)

I like hair you can put your fingers through, not too short. I like this style. This can look handsome too. You should find a couple of pics you like on google. (Search for "men hairstyle 2016" or something like that) and go with it to a hairdresser to get advise. You've got thick hair from what I see on your picture, you can do a lot with that :) 

Not a fan of the beard though, but it does make Def happy ;) 

I'm looking for something a little more wash-and-go than a mo- or faux-hawk.  :D  The last two you linked are in the ballpark.  I did find a couple more on image search that I like, but I don't think my undercut has grown out enough for them yet.  At the moment I'm debating whether to just live with what I've got and keep growing it out or buzz it all and start over.

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

A high and tight fade is a real man's haircut. Easy to maintain, nice and cool too.

I work on an army base, I don't want to blend in too much. ;)  If I go with a fade it will be much lower and not quite as tight--and I'll probably have to let the Wolverine chops (at least) come back in to make it clear I'm not a soldier.  But that's the spirit I'm looking for, easy and cool.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I know little of men's hair styles. But I gope you find one you like!!  Er... hope, not gope. Lol!

Your goats are spilling in to my thread. :lol:

• Like 4

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

W1D5 - 3/3.  Another good day on all targets.  I was late getting up and out the door to work so I used my McD's panic button again for breakfast of Sausage McMuffin® and DDP.  Lunch was leftover chicken and broccoli, then dinner was taco salad at home.  I added a peach and some Jello snacks in the later evening and called it a day at 1833 total calories.  This morning's sneaky weight check has me back within a pound of where I ended the last challenge, so that nearly-5-pound gain I incurred during Week Zero is almost completely erased.  Beverages were compliant and bedtime was very early--MFG and I were upstairs with lights out before 8 pm, and I crashed at around 9 pm.  I slept pretty well through the night and only had to get up twice--I've been super-hydrating to help acclimate to the heat therefore I've been needing to visit the facilities more frequently.

Doctor's appointment went fairly well.  The doctor is a very kind older gentleman who spent a good 40 minutes checking me over and listening to my complaints.  His general opinion is that I'm in very good health and the few problems, save two, can be mostly treated with a bit of rest and time to heal.  He wants me to have an MRI on my right knee to see if there are any soft-tissue problems, naturally that's a $100 copay on my insurance now. :P  He also wants me to come back in and have a full fasting blood workup and urinalysis with all the panels just to see what my baseline stats are--those are all fully covered once per year.  I'll try to get those done in time to get results back before our vacation trip.

Good stuff happening--I'm glad to be on the successful side of things again after the Week Zero shenanigans. :D

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

At the moment I'm debating whether to just live with what I've got and keep growing it out or buzz it all and start over.

Just find the pic you want and go to a hair dresser. You might not be able to get the cut you want right away, but the hairdresser can cut it so it will grow nicely towards your goal.

I'm going from a very short pixy cut to long hair at the moment, and I'm almost at a bob line, just the shortest layers have to grow a few cm's. The hair dresser has cut it in a way that it already looks like a bob :)

• Like 1
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Terah said:

Just find the pic you want and go to a hair dresser. You might not be able to get the cut you want right away, but the hairdresser can cut it so it will grow nicely towards your goal.

I'm going from a very short pixy cut to long hair at the moment, and I'm almost at a bob line, just the shortest layers have to grow a few cm's. The hair dresser has cut it in a way that it already looks like a bob :)

Curse your sensible and moderate middle ground, I want to suffer under the crushing weight of extreme decision making. ;)

Although in my defense, both of my options are free since MFG can buzz me at the homestead. :D

• Like 1

W1D6 - 4/4.  Final deload workout is done, everything felt solid.  I put the advice for form improvement into action with bench press and deadlift, and even though the weight was low I could tell it would make a difference.  Next week I'll hit those exercises real good and try to burn those movements in to my muscle memory.  After the lifts I did my pullups and crunches--I'll be keeping the crunches at bodyweight-only for the foreseeable future to let an old soccer injury heal up a bit.  Before stretching I did a 10-min session of intervals on the stationary bike just to add some sweat and burn and get my heart rate up for a bit.  All was done in a timely fashion and I headed home for dinner.

Eating was on target.  Standard breakfast led to leftover taco salad for lunch, a bit of beef jerky in the afternoon, then I had my customary pre-workout snack of chocolate and DDP.  For dinner MFG made her turkey chili and roasted summer squash with onions.  I garnished the chili with an ounce of good cheddar cheese, and the day wound up at 1792 total calories and a little carb-heavy.  All beverages for the day were compliant and bedtime was right on the money.

Should be a decent rest day today, I'm going to try and keep food a little lighter to help with tomorrow's Week 1 weigh-in. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deftona said:

What, no quotation marks?! Is this finally a chili you can approve of?!

I always approve of it, but "her turkey chili" covers the fact that it has beans.  It's not true chili, but it is a dang good ground meat with beans stew. ;)

• Like 2

W1D7 - 3/3.  Rest day came off well, I even managed to get a few things done.  Food was right on the money--standard breakfast; lunch of leftover squash and turkey chili with avocado; dinner was Greek chicken with roasted red potatoes and tomato-braised green beans.  The Minions and MFG enjoyed their ice-cream treats for dessert while I ate some sugar-free Jello.  All liquids met targets and bedtime was on the button.

Honey-do List items got checked off--camp stove got refurbished for our next trip; upstairs bathroom cleaned and all hardware de-scaled and buffed for the plumber to reinstall on Monday; toilet seat replaced; towel hooks repaired; all central-air filters were replaced; MFG's van got washed; new fire extinguishers were purchased and placed in the house; and we got a little bit of grocery shopping done, too.  Then we came home for dinner, and afterwards we played 7 Wonders until the kids' bedtime.  It was a good end to a great Week 1.  Check-in will be later today, I think. :)

• Like 4

Week 1 Check-in

Taking a quick break from Father's Day (after mowing the lawn again, finally) to post my stats for the first week of this challenge.  Scale weight is 212.4 lbs, for a loss of 4.0 pounds since Monday morning's mulligan on last week.  That leaves me only 1/2 pound over where I ended the previous challenge and should position me to drop steadily again for the next few weeks.  Today's progress photo looks pretty similar to last week:

large.5766adede933a_Side20160619.jpg

If you've happened to glance at my spreadsheets then you'll notice that I had a perfect week!  I sorely needed it after Week Zero, and sticking to my disciplines paid off very well.  Taken together, my calories over the last two weeks should have been sufficient for a net weight gain of 0.4 pounds and in reality I had a net gain of 0.5 pounds; so my BMR tracking is still pretty accurate and my metabolism appears to be running as intended.  I bet that extra 1/10th of a pound will be gone just as soon as I get my hair cut. ;) Even though the extra fun during Week Zero set me back by one week I don't regret it too much--I just wish I'd spent it on more interesting foods. :D

Week 2 begins the only full barbell cycle I'm going to get in this challenge, and I've recalibrated my work sets based on my most recent maxes.  This means I won't be lifting quite as heavy as I had been, which will give me a chance to heal up a few nagging issues while also concentrating on form.  I'm more than content with where I am at the moment.  There's plenty of time to push for new gains after I've finished getting lean.

With the feedback mirroring my predictions so well I'm not inclined to make any changes to the program for this challenge.  All is working as intended and I'm going to keep making hay while the sun is shining. :)

• Like 8

Yay for a perfect week! 

Do you know yet how you're going to let your hair be cut?

• Like 2
Spoiler

6 hours ago, Terah said:

Yay for a perfect week! 

Do you know yet how you're going to let your hair be cut?

The style that keeps popping up in image searches is called an ivy league crew cut.  It's basically just short and tapered.

15dvpck.png

Clean, simple, professional.  Should be very easy to maintain and style.

• Like 3

W2D1 - 1/3.  Father's Day started with a solid plan and reasonably good intentions, but it morphed on me by the end when I got lazy and careless.  Bubbles was so excited to make scrambled eggs for my breakfast, and MFG helped her roast a pan of thick-cut bacon to go with them.  We had a good morning at church, then I decided to treat the whole family to Whataburger for lunch--I had a junior meal that was in keeping with my targets.  After a bit of shopping for kids' summer wear and a few household necessities we headed home to crush a couple more items on my to-done list.

The lawn work took about two hours of solid effort, so I added it as exercise to MFP in order to boost my target for dinner.  MFP estimated that I burned 1,000 calories; not likely so I took half of that which still seemed pretty generous.  Dinner was a thick NY strip steak on the grill with more Greek-style roasted potatoes and green beans.  I was right on the (elevated) target for the day when I tucked the kids in, but as the night wore on I kept feeling a prod toward more calories.  I was pounding water to replace all the liquids I lost to sweat during my chores, so I don't think I was thirsty--it probably was legitimate hunger but I took it too far.  I tried to appease it with some cheese and grapes, then I polished off the leftover bacon in the fridge.  Finally I went for a huge bowl of cereal with milk and sugar, and when that was gone I had another just like it.  Day ended up way over, even with the exercise--total net calories for the day was 3502.

I was also up late bingeing on Netflix and enjoying some peace and quiet with MFG.  Fortunately it didn't impact my morning too harshly.  All said and done the only goal I managed to pass yesterday was drinking; and even the beverages that I consumed, while technically compliant, were a little too high in caffeine a little too late in the day.  It helped me get my work done and enjoy my Father's Day, though.  And the extra eating did help me to feel better until I overdid it. ;)  This week should be able to cover that overage without too much struggle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

The style that keeps popping up in image searches is called an ivy league crew cut.  It's basically just short and tapered.

Clean, simple, professional.  Should be very easy to maintain and style.

I like it!

• Like 2
Spoiler

W2D2 - 4/4.  I tried to go light with eating to buy back some of Sunday's overage, but the evening wore on and my appetite became too much to ignore, especially after a workout day.  Even so I only ate to my regular target, and the day was a pass.  Breakfast was a fruit smoothie, lunch was leftover chicken breast and green beans, dinner was MFG's ground-pork stir fry with cabbage and carrots.  By the end of dinner I was at 1200 kcal and planning to quit, but I added a couple of string cheese snacks later on then a few spoons of peanut butter with roasted almonds as I was getting caught up on Game of Thrones.  Total day's calories ended at 1822.  Instead of hoping to cover my overage in bits and pieces over the next few days I'm just going to impose a reduced target through Saturday--1455 per day will make up the difference, then I can restart at my regular target for Week 3.

Workout went very well.  My AMRAP sets for overhead press and squat ended right where they should have given my recent max lifts.  Dips faltered a little since I hadn't worked them in a while, but I was still able to complete 3 sets with an additional 35 lbs strapped to my waist.  Leg raises were strong, then I did another 10-min interval session on the stationary bike before stretching--I think I'm going to make that standard from now on: warm-up, lift, bodyweight, cardio, stretch.  All together it takes about 80 minutes if I'm concentrating.  I noticed that I was overworking a bit during my warm-up sets with the barbells, so I've scaled those back which should also save a little bit on time as well as helping my AMRAP sets grow.

Beverages and bedtime were compliant.  Sleep eluded me a bit, but I eventually got a full night's rest.

Things at the house are turning for the simple.  The upstairs bathroom is very nearly done, and I'm cautiously optimistic that there haven't been any cost overruns.  The weather is finally cooperating with a proper lawn-maintenance schedule.  Kids are settling back in to their pre-summer routine--we're still getting caught up on school work following their mini-break to visit Grandma.  I'm trying to get a couple of projects wrapped up here at work before we take off again in July.  Hair has not been cut yet, we'll see if this afternoon affords an opportunity.

• Like 7

W2D3 - 3/3.  First day of (even) lower calorie target was a success.  I've modified my spreadsheet to account for Sunday, and if I'm successful at staying low for the rest of the week then I'll let that result stand as a qualified pass.  Meanwhile I've stopped taking my multivitamin because the extra iron was causing problems, but I'm sticking with the fiber and fish oil supplements--they seem to be helping.  I was tired yesterday from not sleeping well the night before, so when I stopped by the gas station on post to fill up the RDV I grabbed a huge Diet Dr Pepper to go with a quickie egg-white, ham, and cheese muffin sandwich for breakfast.  Lunch consisted of leftover pork, cabbage, and carrot stir-fry that MFG calls wrapperless egg rolls (very tasty).  I'm drawing down the rest of my pre-workout chocolate stash before going on vacation next week, so I ate a square for a snack.  Dinner was ham and salad with a few roasted almonds tossed in.  Bubbles had made some chocolate pudding from scratch so I calculated a bit for dessert.  Total day came in at 1442 nutritious and delicious calories.

I did hit up the barber on the way home from work, and she was accommodating in removing most of my mop (she had to empty her vacuum midway).  :D  The undercut had grown out enough for the short style I wanted, and my resulting do isn't quite spot-on for the image I posted before but with a dab of pomade and 30 seconds of tousling I can get it pretty close.  Best of all, it's sooooo much cooler--a real benefit with the near-100ºF/38ºC temperatures we've been having for weeks on end with no break in sight.  It didn't occur to me at the time but I'm due for a new ID photo next week, so haircut timing couldn't have been better.

After dinner I introduced the Minions to a new family board game.  Then I put them to bed and relaxed a bit too long before realizing that it was close to bedtime.  MFG and I rushed through our nightly rituals and then settled in for a good night's sleep.  It was a good day that has led to another good day's start.

• Like 7

Can't wait for the next progress pic with the new 'do.

What board game was it?

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

14 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

What board game was it?

A little cooperative game called Samurai Spirit.  We've done complex strategy games together before but this one might be just a little too advanced yet.  I'll let them pick the next one.

• Like 1

W2D4 - 4/4.  Good day on all targets.  Workout went pretty well: bench press was fine, I managed 9 reps at 205 without a spotter; dead lift was a little sketchy, I tried the higher weights without wrist straps just using an over-under grip and managed seven reps at 325 before I couldn't hang on anymore, so I put the straps on and finished out.  That set was interrupted by strapping up, so I think I'm just going to default to using them on my AMRAP sets--all others will be attempted with a simple overhand or over-under grip.  Afterward I got my cable rows in then held a plank for 3:20 (spreadsheet needs to be corrected, I'll fix it later) before doing my 10-min cycling intervals and then stretching out real good.

Eating was good.  For breakfast I fried six egg whites that Bubbles had leftover from her pudding recipe and ate them with 2 slices of lightly buttered toast.  Lunch was a bowl of skinless rotisserie chicken dark meat.  I added my customary pre-workout chocolate and DDP, then for dinner MFG made some extra-lean turkey breast meatballs to go with a bowl of zoodles and homemade marinara sauce.  I snacked on a handful of almonds and cut the day off at 1443 total calories.  I've had much better success balancing my macros while eating at this lower level, probably because I don't have a lot of room to compromise.  Beverages and bedtime were both on target as well.

I'm not seeing much movement in my scale weight this week, although this morning's unofficial check registered a new low for the year.  On the other hand I'm getting very close to reclaiming another belt notch, which should mean that I'll be able to fit in my dad shorts by the time we head out on vacation next Friday. :D

• Like 7

W2D5 - 3/3 (mostly). :P  Rest day accomplished--my back is pretty tight this week from dead lifts on Wednesday, but it's the good kind of tight that just means I'm working the right muscles.  Eating was on track through dinner: I'd had an egg-white and ham muffin for breakfast, leftover zoodles with turkey meatballs and tomato sauce for lunch, a piece of chocolate as an afternoon snack, then roasted chicken with Brussels sprouts for dinner.  The snack monster reared up later in the evening to add some almonds and peanut butter, then I finished off the remaining cheddar cheese in the fridge.  I counted the snacking as breakfast for today so that Day 5 could still be a qualified pass.  Beverages and bedtime were on track and I'm ready for a good gym session later today, so no harm no foul.

Today's food plan mostly consists of drawing down my freezer stores.  It'll be light, especially given that breakfast was 12 hours ago, ;) but still solidly nutritious.  I've just gotta lay off the snacking tonight--that bag of almonds and jar of peanut butter are working me over lately. :D  Even so I should still be on track for the weekly total by Sunday morning, and I'm a little anxious to see how the scale responds to this week's Pain™.

• Like 5