The Assassins' Den

Hazard

On the topic of fantastic food - the heat is actually making me consider going raw vegan. Their cakes also look beautiful. I loathe that we don't have a proper ice cream place around here.

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

You are correct in that "efficient" doesn't have the same connotations in French. The word "efficace" can mean efficient, but also competent, dynamic, or just "something that obtains its intended goal." 

Oh! Like "effective"! That makes so much sense. Their benchmarking documents use the terms "major inefficiencies" and "minor inefficiencies", which struck me as kind of funny because for instance falling off a balance beam wouldn't normally be described as an "inefficient" attempt to walk across it, but "ineffective" makes perfect sense. On the other hand, leaning and flailing your arms as you cross might be "effective" but it definitely isn't "efficient". But the distinction isn't especially relevant, because either way, this is a skill you need to work on more. 

Thanks! This has been bugging me for a while now.

• Like 3

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

6 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

Oh! Like "effective"! That makes so much sense. Their benchmarking documents use the terms "major inefficiencies" and "minor inefficiencies", which struck me as kind of funny because for instance falling off a balance beam wouldn't normally be described as an "inefficient" attempt to walk across it, but "ineffective" makes perfect sense. On the other hand, leaning and flailing your arms as you cross might be "effective" but it definitely isn't "efficient". But the distinction isn't especially relevant, because either way, this is a skill you need to work on more. 

Thanks! This has been bugging me for a while now.

Oh, anytime. If you ever want to discuss language/ words, you just let me know. The hard part is getting me to shut up, after. :) 

I used to practice "balance beam" stuff  by walking on the curb instead of the sidewalk.... think I'll start doing that again (though not while powerwalking!). 

• Like 3

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Oh, anytime. If you ever want to discuss language/ words, you just let me know. The hard part is getting me to shut up, after. [emoji4] 

I used to practice "balance beam" stuff  by walking on the curb instead of the sidewalk.... think I'll start doing that again (though not while powerwalking!). 

But power walking the balance beam is the dreeeeeeam! Funny, I used to do this too though. I bet it would be its own kind of special workout!

• Like 3

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

4 minutes ago, Fenyx said:

But power walking the balance beam is the dreeeeeeam! Funny, I used to do this too though. I bet it would be its own kind of special workout!

I still walk on the curb like it's a balance beam :P

• Like 6

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Speaking of things to balance on...

Where I am in New England, lots of land was cleared as farmland back when the area was settled, but it is pretty lousy farmland, so much was eventually left to revert to woods. And all through our woods are the remains of these low stone walls, often only 2-3' high, made of whatever round-ish wobbly stones got dug up when they were plowing the fields. Some of them are actually squat sturdy walls, but in our woods, many are basically just a long narrow rock pile like this: 

stonewall.jpg

Anyway, one of my big balance related goals is to be able to walk down these without flailing and knocking stones over, or twisting my ankle, or falling off to impale myself on a shrub. 

• Like 9

Back to awesome foods for a moment. The wife made some Steak Fajitas with red pepper, mushroom, green pepper, and we used an avocado lime ranch dressing on top of them. Probably not the "healthiest" but still better than fast food and absolutely delicious.

• Like 2

Akuyo - Level 0 Lycan Rebel

Stats: 0 STR, 0 DEX, 0 CON, 0 STA, 0 WIS, 0 CHA

I just came to say hi, but got caught up on so many info already in this thread!

Well... er... hi.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

2 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

Speaking of things to balance on...

Where I am in New England, lots of land was cleared as farmland back when the area was settled, but it is pretty lousy farmland, so much was eventually left to revert to woods. And all through our woods are the remains of these low stone walls, often only 2-3' high, made of whatever round-ish wobbly stones got dug up when they were plowing the fields. Some of them are actually squat sturdy walls, but in our woods, many are basically just a long narrow rock pile like this: 

stonewall.jpg

Anyway, one of my big balance related goals is to be able to walk down these without flailing and knocking stones over, or twisting my ankle, or falling off to impale myself on a shrub. 

Man... one of the places we lived when I was young (yay military brat) was a nice little town in Connecticut. My little sister and I would head out into the woods behind our house and play "the floor is lava-" you could only touch the rocks. I swear, you could go for miles without touching the ground. Good times.  

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

9 hours ago, fiOWNya said:

I balance on all the things... I think it used to annoy my parents when I was a kid. The world is my gym. ;) 

When I was a kid, mostly I walked into all the things, tripped over all the things, dropped all the things, and fell off of all the things. :) Total spaz. It took me a long while to stop being scared of my body.

• Like 4

My dad built me 2 balance beams when I was a kid (ground level and one like 4ft tall) and I SOOOOO wish we still had it. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!

Hello!

I am but a lowly newbie. An assassin in training. My long time goals are: to have 18% body fat (and sustain it), be able to hold a handstand for more than a minute, be able to do the splits (both legs and middle), upgrade my endurance, read more (30 per year), and continually eat clean 80% of the time.

I am already loving this guild and look forward to training with you all!

:o)

• Like 9

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

I was totally going to give a shout out to some of the awesome newbs that wandered into my thread, but I am fairly certain they all beat me to it and are already more forum literate than me.  Hahaha.  Anyway, if there's any other newbs out there... speak friend and enter!  The assassin's den is full of scoundrels that cannot wait to share in your adventures!

Fassbender-Assassins-Creed2.jpg

• Like 11

Love as thou wilt.

12 hours ago, Briniel said:

I checked out the NF Academy, too and after looking through the quests of the different guilds, I'm all like

ZUESVi.gif

But I already posted my challenge with the Rangers....

If you want your challenge to be with the Assassins, just let me know.  Takes about five seconds for me to move a thread from one subforum to another.

• Like 5

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

23 minutes ago, Akuyo said:

Curve ball Darth Yoga.. there is no.mini-challenge (DISCLAIMER: I have no true knowledge of this I just wanted to make the joke)

There+is+no+spoon.jpg

• Like 6

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

9 hours ago, fiOWNya said:

You are still welcome to be an honorary Assassin. ;) At least, as far as I am concerned. I'm a-ok with Rangers.... those nasty Scouts though.... :ambivalence:

8 hours ago, sylph said:

Fortunately guild membership isn't permanent. ;)

8 hours ago, Hazard said:

If you want your challenge to be with the Assassins, just let me know.  Takes about five seconds for me to move a thread from one subforum to another.

Aawww, so much Assassin love! I was going to switch over next challenge anyways. But, I just did my first ever 5 second free handstand this morning, so I'm finally feeling awesome enough to join you guys :D@Hazard, would you be so kind? (It's this one)

Hello everyone!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 9

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

6 hours ago, Akuyo said:

Curve ball Darth Yoga.. there is no.mini-challenge (DISCLAIMER: I have no true knowledge of this I just wanted to make the joke)

200w.gif

Deep calming breaths. It was just a joke. ... 

Thankfully I have work all day, with no computer /Internet access, so I won't be logging in to NF every five minutes. 

• Like 4