• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

The Assassins' Den

Hey, buddies, my name is Gabriel, and I'm joining to you for this challenge, I'm and assassin, I have parkour and calisthenics fundamenta, and I'd like to get more of gymnastics stuff, and, of course, improve my parkour and calisthenics. I only do bodyweight since it's the only weight I use to lift in my parkour and movements stuff, and I'm glad to found all of this.

• Like 11

So in the interest of estimating how long the trail is I run every morning with my dog (FOR THE NEW MINI CHALLENGE) I pull up google maps, and scrutinize the satellite image for any signs of the trail through the woods. What about the stone wall? Um, not really. :( Then I remember the stone wall by the trail actually does follow our property border, so I pull up the town assessor's website, and manually copy the property borders over to a google map. Not super accurate, but close enough for mini-challenge figures. Some measuring, some math, and I figure the full trail is somewhere around a third of a mile, or half a kilometer. My normal turn-around point if I don't want to go off into the woods is almost exactly half way. Fantastic. I can easily remember that it full trail is a 1km round trip. Yay! Super great. I've been meaning to check that for a while.

Then I look at the map again, and realize that the little obstacle course I've been setting up in the woods is almost certainly not actually on our property. :o

However, the assessors maps also tell me that land abutting us on that side is part of ~50 acres owned by a contractor, and it has no road access, and more than half of it is in a flood plain. No one is likely to be there, pretty much ever, except random hunters who assume this is still part of the conservation land directly beyond it. So I think I'm okay. Besides, it is just some logs and poles lashed to trees. But memo to myself - if I want to put up anything non-trivial, move 50ft east.

Also, I today realized there are MONKEY BARS behind the old schoolhouse that my yoga studio is in. Woot!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Darth Yoga said:

so I pull up the town assessor's website, and manually copy the property borders over to a google map

Putting the nerd in nerd fitness. I love it!!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gabriel Herondale said:

Hey, buddies, my name is Gabriel, and I'm joining to you for this challenge, I'm and assassin, I have parkour and calisthenics fundamenta, and I'd like to get more of gymnastics stuff, and, of course, improve my parkour and calisthenics. I only do bodyweight since it's the only weight I use to lift in my parkour and movements stuff, and I'm glad to found all of this.

Hey there! The reason I am an Assassin is because I want to learn Parkour! :) I am now developing strength with body weight exercises. Since it seems you are there, would you mind checking out my self-made parkour workout -- if it makes any sense? Hehehe. :) ---> I placed it in my Challenge Thread. Thank you sooo much!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

So in the interest of estimating how long the trail is I run every morning with my dog (FOR THE NEW MINI CHALLENGE) I pull up google maps, and scrutinize the satellite image for any signs of the trail through the woods. What about the stone wall? Um, not really. :( Then I remember the stone wall by the trail actually does follow our property border, so I pull up the town assessor's website, and manually copy the property borders over to a google map. Not super accurate, but close enough for mini-challenge figures. Some measuring, some math, and I figure the full trail is somewhere around a third of a mile, or half a kilometer. My normal turn-around point if I don't want to go off into the woods is almost exactly half way. Fantastic. I can easily remember that it full trail is a 1km round trip. Yay! Super great. I've been meaning to check that for a while.

Then I look at the map again, and realize that the little obstacle course I've been setting up in the woods is almost certainly not actually on our property. :o

However, the assessors maps also tell me that land abutting us on that side is part of ~50 acres owned by a contractor, and it has no road access, and more than half of it is in a flood plain. No one is likely to be there, pretty much ever, except random hunters who assume this is still part of the conservation land directly beyond it. So I think I'm okay. Besides, it is just some logs and poles lashed to trees. But memo to myself - if I want to put up anything non-trivial, move 50ft east.

Also, I today realized there are MONKEY BARS behind the old schoolhouse that my yoga studio is in. Woot!

wow! that is so great! I use an app to estimate the distance of my walks and my runs but mostly, I just run round and round the track in a nearby park. With this new challenge, I am pushing myself to explore the other areas in our neighborhood. Someday, I would love to experience going on a trail run like what you just described (and finding monkey bars ;) ) 

• Like 3

Loving it, Joshua :D I'm almost sorry that the mileage of my running track was easily determined via google maps, your version sounds so much cooler.

*tentatively raises hand* Just here to say hello. I joined the site only a day ago, but I instantly knew that the Assassin's guild is in line with what I want my fitness goals to be (gymnastics, Yoga, Parkour, Ezio Auditore-ing). Just starting up in the academy now since I definitely have more money than sense, but I've already been on something of a workout regimen of my own for a couple weeks (Daily 2 reps of 10 dumbells rows, 10 pushups from knees, 45 seconds plank, 30 squats). I'm hoping to adapt it to something more suitable to my goals, but I also realize my body composition needs to change a lot before that's possibles. Considering I can do a whole .25 of a pull up (also known as "hang there and flex valiantly"), I think it'll be a while before I kong vault over anything.

Anyways I'm all ears for tips, and I'm going to be using my "literary talent" to ensure that my logs and my challenges are entertaining if nothing else, and I really hope I get to know you guys, since nothing motivates like a community! Unless it's the eSports community I'm a part of. Then it's demotivational instead >.>

• Like 11

23 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Putting the nerd in nerd fitness. I love it!!

And my "manually copy" I mean manually... Because it could be a rough estimate, I zoomed both maps to the same level, stuck my finger on a landmark on one, switched tabs, moved the other map to match. Repeat with second landmark to verify zoom. Repeat with four corners of property. DONE!

Okay, would have been done. Then I spent two hours (while I should have been running errands) copying the borders for the declared wetlands area on our our property (irregularly shaped. multiple fingers...) I'd gotten started on copying 10ft elevation lines when I realized the stores were going to close...

Then when I got home, without my needed items (the stores close early on Sundays), I changed one of my challenge goals to "no screwing around on the computer until essential tasks are completed". *sigh* I'm working on it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

And my "manually copy" I mean manually... Because it could be a rough estimate, I zoomed both maps to the same level, stuck my finger on a landmark on one, switched tabs, moved the other map to match. Repeat with second landmark to verify zoom. Repeat with four corners of property. DONE!

Okay, would have been done. Then I spent two hours (while I should have been running errands) copying the borders for the declared wetlands area on our our property (irregularly shaped. multiple fingers...) I'd gotten started on copying 10ft elevation lines when I realized the stores were going to close...

Then when I got home, without my needed items (the stores close early on Sundays), I changed one of my challenge goals to "no screwing around on the computer until essential tasks are completed". *sigh* I'm working on it.

Lol that is the best 

• Like 3

Hello fellow assassins!

I'm a bit new here as well, discovered this site from reading the Level Up Your Life book. My background is heavily rooted in training via Parkour, for the mind and the body, and conditioning exercises (body weight and light free weights), so I thought I would fit in nicely here.

Im currently on my journey to surpass where i was last year mentally and physcially and establish a parkour community in my area where I can help others learn who are interested in this fun, healthy, and safe activity.

Anyway, if you have any questions for me let me know.

Glad to be here :)  

• Like 6

Hey Fellow Assassins! So a few of you know me around here but I've never been super involved in the greater community and wanted to stop by and say: 

giphy.gif

I'm a current running addict with a tendency to climb things I probably shouldn't and perch in weird places. Looking forward to getting stronger and more assassin-y as time goes by!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, raptron said:

I'm loving all these new Assassins joining the fold. Welcomeeee to the Floor is Lava Headquarters.

The+floor+is+lava_ec61b8_5001252.gif

I can barely sit in a chair without falling and dying in the lava, this guy is amazing. 

• Like 7

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, Dreamweaver said:

*tentatively raises hand* Just here to say hello. I joined the site only a day ago, but I instantly knew that the Assassin's guild is in line with what I want my fitness goals to be (gymnastics, Yoga, Parkour, Ezio Auditore-ing). Just starting up in the academy now since I definitely have more money than sense, but I've already been on something of a workout regimen of my own for a couple weeks (Daily 2 reps of 10 dumbells rows, 10 pushups from knees, 45 seconds plank, 30 squats). I'm hoping to adapt it to something more suitable to my goals, but I also realize my body composition needs to change a lot before that's possibles. Considering I can do a whole .25 of a pull up (also known as "hang there and flex valiantly"), I think it'll be a while before I kong vault over anything.

Anyways I'm all ears for tips, and I'm going to be using my "literary talent" to ensure that my logs and my challenges are entertaining if nothing else, and I really hope I get to know you guys, since nothing motivates like a community! Unless it's the eSports community I'm a part of. Then it's demotivational instead >.>

I too cannot do a pull up, but I am slightly more proficient at vaults of various incarnations. Don't be surprised when you can do more than you expect!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trewest said:

I too cannot do a pull up, but I am slightly more proficient at vaults of various incarnations. Don't be surprised when you can do more than you expect!

You misspelled "everything else in the world," sunshine. :)

• Like 8

On 6/14/2016 at 7:49 AM, LikeWater said:

Hello fellow assassins!

I'm a bit new here as well, discovered this site from reading the Level Up Your Life book. My background is heavily rooted in training via Parkour, for the mind and the body, and conditioning exercises (body weight and light free weights), so I thought I would fit in nicely here.

Im currently on my journey to surpass where i was last year mentally and physcially and establish a parkour community in my area where I can help others learn who are interested in this fun, healthy, and safe activity.

Anyway, if you have any questions for me let me know.

Glad to be here :)  

Welcome! Glad the book brought you here. Be ready for some fun antics and crazy GIFing, because who doesn't love a good GIF?!

Animal Parkour!

DPRNMXn.gif

• Like 7

Did anyone else find it weird to read Stars' real last name? :P To me she is Starsapart, GL extraordinaire, it was a little jarring to realize she is a mere mortal like the rest of us ;) 

• Like 9

On 6/22/2016 at 11:58 AM, Trewest said:

Did anyone else find it weird to read Stars' real last name? :P To me she is Starsapart, GL extraordinaire, it was a little jarring to realize she is a mere mortal like the rest of us ;) 

um I just recently MET HER and was SUPER NERVOUS because we had a chance to meet a day early and I did NOT look as cute and put together as I had hoped to for our dinner plans!!!

I wouldn't say she's a *mere* mortal, but she is actually a human being. (and super sweet and awesome in person.)

• Like 7