• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

The Assassins' Den

On 6/14/2016 at 11:04 AM, raptron said:

I'm loving all these new Assassins joining the fold. Welcomeeee to the Floor is Lava Headquarters.

The+floor+is+lava_ec61b8_5001252.gif

I want to do this SO MUCH. I saw jessie graff doing this on instagram and I've wanted to at least attempt it ever since. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

I want to do this SO MUCH. I saw jessie graff doing this on instagram and I've wanted to at least attempt it ever since. 

I think Jessie Graff became top 3 on my list of 'people I want to emulate'. Just because she kicks that much ass.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2016 at 11:58 AM, Trewest said:

Did anyone else find it weird to read Stars' real last name? :P To me she is Starsapart, GL extraordinaire, it was a little jarring to realize she is a mere mortal like the rest of us ;) 

Starsapart is way easier to pronounce. :D

• Like 2

So based on the shift of videos that youtube keeps suggesting for me, it looks like American Ninja Warrior is going through their qualifiers around the states? Cool (I obviously don't follow tv). So there I am, picking out all the bamf ladies to motivate me, and I see a video thumbnail that looks a little different

Flippin sweet!

(Also flippin sweet was the clip of T-rex owning part of the course)

• Like 9

A few years back, a yoga magazine had a cover story on "yoga for seniors" and while they got great feedback on it, they also got some indignant seniors saying "not all old people need to sit in chairs to do yoga!" and sent in photos of themselves in advanced arm balances and whathaveyou.

• Like 10

They also do it out in nature, like on the side of a mountain! Those videos are really beautiful and terrifying.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi everybody!

I wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm a newbie assassin! I finally joined Nerd Fitness after checking it out every couple of months when I thought about really getting fit, but then didn't. 

I joined the Assassins because I want to be able to do some of the cool stuff that people can do in my favorite shows. :) I decided to go all out and make a character.

So I am the Slate Specter! The Slate Specter is the name given to me by those who know I exist, but have never seen me, or least more than a glance of me. I'm quick and stealthy, so all anyone has ever seen of me is a flash of dark gray. I help those who need it, whether friend or foe, and I have vowed to never kill. My specialty is acting as a spy, and getting damning information to give to trusted prosecutors and reporters to bring down the powerful people behind harmful schemes. 

Glad to be here!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Slate Specter said:

Hi everybody!

I wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm a newbie assassin! I finally joined Nerd Fitness after checking it out every couple of months when I thought about really getting fit, but then didn't. 

I joined the Assassins because I want to be able to do some of the cool stuff that people can do in my favorite shows. :) I decided to go all out and make a character.

So I am the Slate Specter! The Slate Specter is the name given to me by those who know I exist, but have never seen me, or least more than a glance of me. I'm quick and stealthy, so all anyone has ever seen of me is a flash of dark gray. I help those who need it, whether friend or foe, and I have vowed to never kill. My specialty is acting as a spy, and getting damning information to give to trusted prosecutors and reporters to bring down the powerful people behind harmful schemes. 

Glad to be here!

Welcome to The Guild!  Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions.

Has anyone been using pokemon go yet? It's not in Canada still (boo!), but I think I'll be more encouraged to go for a walk/run if there's pokemon to catch!! 

Pokemon_Go.png

• Like 3

Just going to note, if you live out in the middle of nowhere, literally, then Pokemon Go means sadness and loneliness... T-T

I will just go back to my Stardew Valley, since I don't do enough homesteading in real life already, haha.

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 3

Wife's flipping TV channels.  She suddenly says, "Belmont."

Without thinking, I ask, "Simon?"

"Horses."

Oh my Nintendo childhood, you did it to me again.

#I'mSuchANerd

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alexandrite said:

Congrats to all the assassins out there, another great challenge in the books!

YAY!  And now, let's see Assassin 4-Week Challenge Reports!

• Like 2

Challenge Report

(Now in Nerdy Table Form!)

All reported data is 7-day Weekly averages math'd from daily measurements.  We're looking at averages because weekly trends are more useful than looking at daily fluctuations.

Date

Weight

(lbs)

Fat Mass (lbs) Lean Mass (lbs) LM to FM ratio Fat left to lose (lbs)
12 June 192.6 46.6 146.0 3.14 33.9
19 June 192.9 46.4 146.5 3.16 33.6
26 June 194.3 46.6 147.8 3.17 33.7
3 Jul 193.3 45.0 148.3 3.30 32.1
10 Jul 192.0 41.6 150.3 3.61 28.6
Change - 0.6 lbs - 5.0 lbs + 4.3 lbs + 0.47 - 5.3 lbs

The first 3 weeks were at the medical center where my newborn daughter underwent her surgeries.  I was unable to accurately calorie count during those weeks.  Instead, I ate whatever I felt like from the food that charity volunteers provided for us.  It involved a lot of cookies and pastries.  Since I couldn't count calories accurately, I relied on my ability to outwalk my fork, (@Steve), mostly by actively pacing back and forth, instead of sitting or standing still.  I used the step counter on my iPod's pedometer to encourage me to keep moving, since seeing those step numbers go up is strangely motivating; like I was in an RPG where I gain 1xp per step or something.  Ever notice how RPG heroes are always walking/running/hiking large distances? ;)

Average daily steps: 12,146

Average daily miles: 5.36

Est. daily calories used: 550

It's easy to see why a person can indeed outrun/outwalk their fork.  When we eat ad libitum, we, by definition of what maintenance is, tend to eat right around our maintenance calories.  Maintaining our status quo.  The trend of the average person gaining a small amount more weight every year comes mostly from those gluttonous days when the average person overindulges (holidays, pizza delivery night, Golden Corral), consuming an excessive amount of extra calories but then doesn't do anything (exercise and/or eat under maintenance calories for a few days) to offset the overindulgence.

Outrunning/outwalking my fork is not the most efficient method of dietary control.  It requires investing time in actively moving.  In my case, slowly pacing rooms and hallways around the medical center, those 5.36 daily miles involved around 2 1/2 hours of daily walking.  Thankfully, it wasn't all in one stretch.  Sporadic pacing on-and-off throughout an entire day just tends to add up to a lot of steps taken. 

So the next time you read or hear someone say the lie that "You can't outrun your fork!"  Feel free to tell them: "Sure you can!  Hazard, Assassin Guild Leader on Nerd Fitness, did it! And he lost fat doing it!  Just 5 miles a day!"  :encouragement:

But!  But, but, but.  While outwalking one's fork turns out to be actually relatively easy, it's muuuuuch easier and much more time-efficient to just control how much we put in our mouths in the first place. 

Calorie counting takes me a whopping 15 cumulative minutes out of my day at most.  Usually even less than that. 

And as we can see on my report table, when I returned home with my daughter and got back to calorie counting, during the last week of the challenge the rate of change in my body composition improved significantly.  Whereas I lost an estimated 1 1/2 lbs of fat mass over 3 weeks of ad libitum eating walking/pacing to control my body composition, I lost an estimated 3 1/2 lbs of fat mass in just a single week at home of counting and controlling my calories.

Virtually anybody can outwalk/outrun their fork.  It's not even hard to do it.  As Dory sings: Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.  It just takes time and a willingness to move, even if just pacing back and forth in a room, instead of sitting down or standing still.  It's a very good tool to have in one's fitness toolbox. 

But calorie counting is a much more efficient, more powerful, tool.  And I'm glad to be back in an environment where I can do it.

As a last note:  I drank chocolate milk every day this last week.  And ate cereal.  And ate Rice Krispie treats.  And got an average of 172 grams of protein daily:P

- If It Fits Your Macros -

Now, let's hear your Challenge reports!  How did you do on your goals?  Any woots?  Any struggles?  Any worries going into the next 4WC?  Are there things The Guild can help you with in the next Challenge?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hazard said:

So the next time you read or hear someone say the lie that "You can't outrun your fork!"  Feel free to tell them: "Sure you can!  Hazard, Assassin Guild Leader on Nerd Fitness, did it! And he lost fat doing it!  Just 5 miles a day!"  :encouragement:

It does depend on how fast your fork is though. If your fork is only moving when you are genuinely hungry, you've got a fair chance of outrunning it.