• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Preeeettttyyyy sure it was caused by arcing + too much body wiggle on my OHP

Practicing with no weight seems good so far though. I am concerned that the body wiggle was accounting for some "cheating" but not sure

we'll find out if I can't make it back to 51.5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Preeeettttyyyy sure it was caused by arcing + too much body wiggle on my OHP

Practicing with no weight seems good so far though. I am concerned that the body wiggle was accounting for some "cheating" but not sure

we'll find out if I can't make it back to 51.5.

And if you can hit 51.5 without noodle body we'll confirm you're awesome. I believe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Urgan said:

And if you can hit 51.5 without noodle body we'll confirm you're awesome. I believe.

I have hope!

• Like 1

And with every reason. You're doing your outdoorsy run in Portland, yes? How you feeling about that? Prepared?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

And with every reason. You're doing your outdoorsy run in Portland, yes? How you feeling about that? Prepared?

The original plan was long hike in the trails, which MAY still happen, but someone suggested I check out the Japanese Rose Garden. I'm not sure my travelling companions will want to do that, so I am likely to do that instead of hiking. It's actually off of some trails as far as I can tell, so I may check it out, then hike. Or just check it out for a really long time, if it's pretty great like I hear.

• Like 2

Just finished inputting my first 5/3/1 cycle in Fitnotes for when I return (requires pre-inputting b/c of the percentages--which thanks to miniplates I can get SUPER accurate on!)

Kind of excited to start that even though the first cycle IS a lot of light weights. I suppose people swear by this for a reason, though~

Doing Boring But Big the first time around, maybe the second too.

~NUMBERS~

• Like 2

On July 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM, ixaera said:

The original plan was long hike in the trails, which MAY still happen, but someone suggested I check out the Japanese Rose Garden. I'm not sure my travelling companions will want to do that, so I am likely to do that instead of hiking. It's actually off of some trails as far as I can tell, so I may check it out, then hike. Or just check it out for a really long time, if it's pretty great like I hear.

It's in a nice park where there are supposed to be good trails, I haven't walked there much though. The rose garden is separate from the Japanese garden. The Japanese garden is lovely and I really enjoyed my visit there and recommend it, but it is not large (from a walking/exercise perspective). Have a wonderful vacation! And if you happen to venture down the Gorge, let me know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowOwl said:

It's in a nice park where there are supposed to be good trails, I haven't walked there much though. The rose garden is separate from the Japanese garden. The Japanese garden is lovely and I really enjoyed my visit there and recommend it, but it is not large (from a walking/exercise perspective). Have a wonderful vacation! And if you happen to venture down the Gorge, let me know!

What ended up actually happening was that I got to the Japanese garden around 1, it was small and super crowded, very hard to zen as such, so I went to the rose garden, which was quite lovely. Then spied some clever trails off the road and noticed how easy it would be to hike down to the zoo! Took a bit of the scenic route through the mac/wildwood/maple trails, then was at the zoo quite a while.

Not 12.6 miles, but did make 20k steps. A very good day for activity. Bad for protein. Ah well.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 8:45 PM, ixaera said:

Just finished inputting my first 5/3/1 cycle in Fitnotes for when I return (requires pre-inputting b/c of the percentages--which thanks to miniplates I can get SUPER accurate on!)

Kind of excited to start that even though the first cycle IS a lot of light weights. I suppose people swear by this for a reason, though~

Doing Boring But Big the first time around, maybe the second too.

~NUMBERS~

I'm starting a program similar to 5/3/1 later this month and I agree that the first cycle does seem boring! What percentage does 5/3/1 start at? I'll be doing Juggernaut, which starts at 60%. Some of the exercises I'm not even sure how to modify because the 30# bar doesn't fit on the rack. So I might be doing DB for OHP. 

I just ordered my fractional plates though, so I'm excited! Well technically I just ordered 1.25# plates, but that seems like a good starting place for me. I don't know if I need anything smaller than that yet. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2016 at 10:57 PM, ixaera said:

What ended up actually happening was that I got to the Japanese garden around 1, it was small and super crowded, very hard to zen as such, so I went to the rose garden, which was quite lovely. Then spied some clever trails off the road and noticed how easy it would be to hike down to the zoo! Took a bit of the scenic route through the mac/wildwood/maple trails, then was at the zoo quite a while.

Not 12.6 miles, but did make 20k steps. A very good day for activity. Bad for protein. Ah well.

Still really impressive!

• Like 1

I'm back! Portland was great~

On 7/7/2016 at 8:26 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm starting a program similar to 5/3/1 later this month and I agree that the first cycle does seem boring! What percentage does 5/3/1 start at? I'll be doing Juggernaut, which starts at 60%. Some of the exercises I'm not even sure how to modify because the 30# bar doesn't fit on the rack. So I might be doing DB for OHP. 

I just ordered my fractional plates though, so I'm excited! Well technically I just ordered 1.25# plates, but that seems like a good starting place for me. I don't know if I need anything smaller than that yet. 

I just did my first day on this cycle today. My gym has straight bars in 10 lb increments, and I opted to do 40 lbs twice for the first two sets (since 35 lbs doesn't exist, even in dumbbells). Can't rack these, so I just cleaned 'em up. Not sure if that's wise or not, it definitely makes grip positioning trickier. Could not video form because rack was still full on my third set anyway (the only set I could use it on) and no place to set phone in a busy gym). 5/3/1 looks like this on the main lift for week 1:

65%x5

75%x5

85%x5+ (you're supposed to do as many as you can instead of stopping at 5 on this set)

I ended up doing dumbbells, also, for my 5x10 assistance on OHP for a bit of variety.

On 7/8/2016 at 9:30 AM, Cataleya said:

Still really impressive!

Such a fun trip! That was probably the most active day. After my friends showed up, there was still plenty of walking, but also a ton of eating and drinking. I nearly filled up a distillery tour passport :)

anigif_enhanced-25168-1406929916-1.gif

yeah... about that

I guess this challenge just had a zero week built in on the back end. Worth it.

Overall, I am slapping a silver star on my forehead and a B- on my report card. I kept up with the most important stuff, a lot of the time, and gave myself plenty of room to get back to baseline. That and the vacation probably did the trick for a while. :)

Things I did in Portland:

Japanese Garden - under loud construction and very crowded. not very zen, but beautiful to look at

Rose Garden - Wasn't prime blooming season, but plenty of beautiful roses to look at and smell. Nice gift shop.

Hiking Trails - easy, low pressure, connect with small streets fairly often. Really pretty nature that I didn't expect in a city.

Zoo - Not that crowded, more like a park + animals, lovely. The elephants were really frisky. Got a snowcone as big as my face.

Screen Door - It's not overrated. The wait is worth it. I had bananas foster french toast. SO GOOD.

Distilleries - Honestly, I'm more of a mixed drink, wine, or beer person. Strong straight liquor isn't my thing. That said, I enjoyed about half of what I tasted even still. My favorites were East Side Marionberry whisky (I usually hate whisky, so if you are a whisky beginner, this is a great one), Stone Barn Peach liqueur, East Side spiced rum, Stone Barn's Nocino, Thomas & Sons sweet tea liqueur

Pambiche - don't bring a large group unless you like standing around hungry. Delicious though.

Hale Pale - Hawaiian food, which I didn't know I liked until Saturday. Yum!

Waffle Window - Long wait for good food. I'm torn on whether the wait was worth it. The food's good, but it's no Screen Door and the wait was probably as long, and it's standing in a line, which is worse.

City State cafe - Gets my vote.

We also surprised my friend for his 40th birthday. Oh boy was he surprised. And tired. I am not sure what drove the planning to include having a party in a house with a fussy 5 month old, or why the surprised birthday boy was the one carrying around the baby monitor, but, well, okay. It was the quietest party I've ever been to, but the camel and kangaroo meat sliders were very tasty.

Overall, I think Portland is pretty great. The people are nice, the proliferation of craft alcohol is amazing, the weather is awesome, the scenery in town is just SO GREEN compared to Dallas. Weirdly undiverse, not a big fan of that aspect of it. 

The End!

New challenge here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/85263-ixaera-steal-the-thiefs-testimony~/

• Like 6

Yay for portland! I finally caught up on all of your exciting challenge things! That Marionberry whiskey sounds really good, I don't know how I managed to not hit any distilleries while I was there. Such a nice town, coffee shop on every corner and a brewery on every other :) Off to lurk on your next challenge :)

• Like 1