• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I usually say, "You never know!  I know a girl who opened with a 275 pound Squat."

(EDIT:  Then at my PL meet, I saw a girl open with a 430 pound Squat.)

TRUE TRUE. I guess that since most of the guys who lift recognize me I assume they would know better? 

On the flip side I have started being willing to ask a dude if he is using a bench. I used to always assume that if there were plates on the bar that someone was using it. This past Sunday there were plates on all three racks and it turned out that only one was in use and I could have wasted a lot of time waiting around that was solved just by sucking it up and asking. 

Yesterday a guy was warming up doing leg swings while holding onto the power rack so I used the squat rack instead and then he proceed to go do the hack squat machine. LIKE DUDE DON'T USE THE POWER RACK TO WARM UP IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE RACK. Use the smith machine or something. The problem being that the built in safeties on the regular squat rack are too high for me, so I have to squat outside the rack, vs the power rack is adjustable. 

WHY DO THEY MAKE THESE THINGS. I've considered just stacking up deadlift mats inside...  

/ end thread hijack back to big plate talk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yesterday a guy was warming up doing leg swings while holding onto the power rack so I used the squat rack instead and then he proceed to go do the hack squat machine. LIKE DUDE DON'T USE THE POWER RACK TO WARM UP IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE RACK.

A lot more often than I should, I do warm-ups on the Platform in order to secure it.  My interest is in aggressively securing the Platform and then hogging it.  It is a brutally competitive environment out there!

People can always ask to work something in, but so many people do not have the requisite social skills or something.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

A lot more often than I should, I do warm-ups on the Platform in order to secure it.  My interest is in aggressively securing the Platform and then hogging it.  It is a brutally competitive environment out there!

People can always ask to work something in, but so many people do not have the requisite social skills or something.

That make sense to me though, I totally do that. If 2/3 racks are in use I will skip my regular warm-up and just warm-up in the one open rack. That makes sense, IF you are going to use the platform.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

WHY DO THEY MAKE THESE THINGS. I've considered just stacking up deadlift mats inside...  

I don't get those racks.  They take up so much space, use so much metal, and have no useful features.  I especially don't like the piece on the ground behind the squatters feet. 

11 minutes ago, Grymm said:

They take up so much space, use so much metal, and have no useful features.

Hmm.  What other gym equipment takes up so much space? :lol:

Meanwhile, Free weights and Squats seem to be growing in popularity.

11 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Hmm.  What other gym equipment takes up so much space? :lol:

Meanwhile, Free weights and Squats seem to be growing in popularity.

If they get rid of the two smith machines they could fit in 3-4 more power rack/cages. A girl can dream, can't she?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ixaera said:

OHP

1x3 51 lbs

1x4 51 lbs

3x3 51 lbs

Lost a little ground, and my form is still real bad. I wish for more coordination and bravery when it comes to pushing things that are heavy through my face. Blaming rep loss on lower calories, unfortunate discoveries about coconut water, and general stress that's gathering up in my upper back and shoulders.

OHP took me a l o n g time to feel competent at.  For a while, even though I could hike up 50lbs, I felt really unstable and uncoordinated.  Practice, patience, and lots of lax ball rolling helps, now I love OHP and feel like a big sturdy tree when I do it!!!

52 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

A lot more often than I should, I do warm-ups on the Platform in order to secure it.  My interest is in aggressively securing the Platform and then hogging it.

YUP ME TOO *^_^*  Granted our racks aren't super-busy in the mornings but you never know what wayward swolebro will come a wanderin' through....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Urgan said:

"...Do you need help with that?"

haha, so far I haven't gotten this. Yet. I definitely get expressions that look like people holding themselves back from asking, though, and maybe it's only the enormous headphones stopping them?

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I have just recently gotten to PLATES on DL and is an awesome feeling to be setting up a bar with big plates! It kind of makes me want to make a big noisy production about it, but I keep the celebration to myself. SO CONGRATS ON GETTING TO PLATES. YOU DID IT! :D That is so awesome feeling!!

SO CLOSE! YAY! I'm honestly afraid to try to go up 3 lbs next time because if I can't move it, it'll be all walk of shame while I set up my little platform again, so I might just stick to my 2 lb jumps and be a pound off next time. I seriously talk about how bad I want to be at plates to anyone IRL who will grudgingly listen.

2 hours ago, shaarawy said:

OHP took me a l o n g time to feel competent at.  For a while, even though I could hike up 50lbs, I felt really unstable and uncoordinated.  Practice, patience, and lots of lax ball rolling helps, now I love OHP and feel like a big sturdy tree when I do it!!!

If I ever walk around with a big chin bruise, it'll be this lift!

2 hours ago, shaarawy said:

YUP ME TOO *^_^*  Granted our racks aren't super-busy in the mornings but you never know what wayward swolebro will come a wanderin' through....

We have just the one power rack. There's a separate bench press at least, which is a definite blessing, and I can steal the bar from the incline or decline press to row or deadlift with, if the space in the corner isn't taken. But yeah if the rack is free I just jump in and do the world's fastest warm up, because while it can go empty for a long time, there's no telling when someone will stroll in there and do 10 sets of squats for 40 minutes, on setting 13 which is not work-in-able for me. (Some of the bros you can ask nicely and they'll happily trade sets at height 10... some ignore you)

Whoa.. was about to just go "where'd my response go?" because I thought I'd posted it. I guess the autodraft saves me!

Anyway, massage was friggin' amazing. Dude knows his stuff. I usually have to endure that awkward tickling sensation when too much pressure is applied anywhere on my glutes/legs. Not today. I feel like a million bucks, and even my twingey low back is singing a little happy song.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

haha, so far I haven't gotten this. Yet. I definitely get expressions that look like people holding themselves back from asking, though, and maybe it's only the enormous headphones stopping them?

Been there. Headphones are lifesavers.

2 minutes ago, ixaera said:

SO CLOSE! YAY! I'm honestly afraid to try to go up 3 lbs next time because if I can't move it, it'll be all walk of shame while I set up my little platform again, so I might just stick to my 2 lb jumps and be a pound off next time. I seriously talk about how bad I want to be at plates to anyone IRL who will grudgingly listen.

Go up by two pounds, do your thing, then attempt a single at 135? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'm actually considering an experiment. I would like to get to know people at the gym a little bit. I always wear headphones. I'm thinking about going sans headphones for a week to see if people talk to me. The downside is that it would be weird to lift without my music.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I like this idea. Might even take a short break from the cut on Sunday to fuel it for Great Success, since Monday squats will be just short of PR territory as is and I'll need All The Food to get a workout like that done successfully. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I like this idea. Might even take a short break from the cut on Sunday to fuel it for Great Success, since Monday squats will be just short of PR territory as is and I'll need All The Food to get a workout like that done successfully. 

Moar protein. Remember: all you need to do is get one good rep in at 135...and then 2 more...

23 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm actually considering an experiment. I would like to get to know people at the gym a little bit. I always wear headphones. I'm thinking about going sans headphones for a week to see if people talk to me. The downside is that it would be weird to lift without my music.

It works a little!

There's actually a mentally ill(? maybe?) guy who regularly goes to this weight room. He usually does only overhead dumbbell tri extensions and machine quad extensions, though today for the very first time I saw him do a dumbbell curl or two. While doing his workout, he flings loud expletives, and ALWAYS looks like he's about to injure himself. I have seen him drop a dumbbell on his head (then seem like nothing happened, though it looked painful), and he occasionally screams when doing the quad thing. He ALWAYS stares at me when he walks by my space, ALWAYS gets too close to my personal bubble, and so headphones are kind of my safety zone in there.

There's a staff member who mysteriously appears and just sits on a machine when he's in there, so he's watched... but the shouting and such is super distracting and headphones are necessary not to get startled mid-lift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

ALWAYS gets too close to my personal bubble

I know of perfectly mostly normal people who are very smart, but have this issue.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I know of perfectly mostly normal people who are very smart, but have this issue.

The bane of all people with large personal bubbles~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ixaera said:

There's a staff member who mysteriously appears and just sits on a machine when he's in there, so he's watched... but the shouting and such is super distracting and headphones are necessary not to get startled mid-lift.

I'm so glad they are treating this guy with respect while also making sure the other people know he's being watched and someone is looking out for them. But to be working out next to him, I seriously don't blame anyone for being distracted, concerned, and happy to use huge headphones as a blind to this guy. That's a tough situation and my respect for you just went up another couple hundred notches!

• Like 1

I'm glad they let him workout and let it be safe for him and others. It is probably very therapeutic for him and may be one of the only times he gets to let out some aggression or energy. Hell, working out is therapeutic for everyone! B) I think there are a lot of people who would see improvements in their mental health if they started working out. 

• Like 3

Yeah, at first I was uncomfortable because I wasn't sure about his (or my) safety, but once I spotted staff person I have felt a lot better about it.

I got distracted by FFXIV last night and failed to post a day sum-up! (In other news, main story quest for patch 3.3 COMPLETE)

Week 1, Day 3 (yesterday)

Protein: HIT

Mobility stuff: HIT (counting massage)

Glute: N/A

Studying: N/A

Adulting: HIT (a little more heavy duty on the chores than the last two days, because I was working from home and slow)

Jerb stuff: N/A (I did a lot of searching, but didn't find anything tempting enough to apply to with current standards. Plenty to come back to on Sunday if I haven't found anything by then.)

Writing: HIT (still not as much as I'd like, but did the most I've done all week, snapped a few plot points in place)

Massage: DONE

Massage was great, and he says future appointments we can do 30 minute sports-oriented ones. I'll give that a go, because yesterday helped so much, but I've never done a specifically sports massage, I'm used to deep tissue/body balance stuff. I hope he's cool with going back to that if it's just better for me, but I don't want to be that awkward patient who insists on being naked

massages are so awkward in the first place

200_s.gif

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I thought I was following, but I was not. 

Love the challenge and here for lifts and protein! Also Princess bride!

smwoCQy.png

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 4

Not a great day, but not my doing at least. Up to eyeballs at work, meaningless useless meeting where Overlord made it obvious he doesn't give two shits about support. Mom needs money, it's the right thing to give it, so I'm doing that, but oh boy it hurts. Friend drama is thankfully undramatic, but progressed into the the afterstages so it can just be over now. Had to go into work super early, so my cardio was postponed, which gave me less time for studying, adulting, etc. I ended up doing extra mobility work instead of adulting. House, you'll just have to forgive me. Did study, though.

Apparently this contractor mom's hiring wants cash, it's tomorrow MORNING, she's an hour away. It's like planning anything doesn't exist south of I-20. Sigh. So now I get to tell my boss I'm out tomorrow morning, at the last minute, I get to go the bank and try to get cash at once (terrific), then drive... then I have happy hour after work, so it's not like I can just work from mom's because then I'll be trapped in traffic trying to happy hour because of that stupid interchange between the part of town my life takes place, and where my family lives.

Anyway.

Protein: HIT (barely, had to tack on protein shake at end of day because I comfort ate cookies and a tube of saltines...)

Mobility stuff: HIT

Glute: N/A (not quite, anyway. Did some bodyweight deep squats, but no glute work because I forgot and now it's bedtime)

Studying: HIT

Adulting: MISS ( :( )

Jerb stuff: N/A (no time for anything)

Writing: MISS (ugh, really hated having a miss here)

Seriously, didn't get home til 7 pm, it's 9:45 now. I had time for studying, fooding, stretching, talking to mom about what she needs, talking to boyfriend about HIS woes

annnnd that was about it before I had to get showered. :/

ah well. I'm not going to let this count too hard against me because I need sleep as much as I need my challenge, frankly

tumblr_lnxqlmGEdR1qdldoro1_500.gif

• Like 5

I'd say trying to sort out the stuff to help with your mom counts as adulting+1....just sayin'. Hang in there, tomorrow will be rough, but then WEEKEND?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

I'd say trying to sort out the stuff to help with your mom counts as adulting+1....just sayin'. Hang in there, tomorrow will be rough, but then WEEKEND?

I didn't think of it quite that way and am totally willing to give myself points where I can >.>

This probably means going to the bank in 20 minutes and driving down to deal with mom's contractor probably also counts <.<

yay!

Mental cues of "push into barbell with contact point on back" and "push through outside of shoes" resulted in minimal-to-no back pain (hard to tell if what is there is worse, it's so minimal). My squat might just be finally where it needs to be to progress? I HOPE

113 was hard as crap this morning, but I pushed the bar up, did not fail. 115 will be very hard Monday morning. 

The pro to the saltine binge was that my bench was completed successfully, too. It's getting real close to fails

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Mental cues of "push into barbell with contact point on back" and "push through outside of shoes"

I recently saw an Alan Thrall video - something about how to instantly increase the weight you are lifting.  I might be able to link it later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

"push through outside of shoes"

This is my most important mental cue lately too. ^____________^

WE CAN DO IIIIT!  Back pain free!!

• Like 2