• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I recently saw an Alan Thrall video - something about how to instantly increase the weight you are lifting.  I might be able to link it later.

This is the one I watched yesterday. Though I reviewed my form vids and didn't see hips shooting back, there could be micromovements I'm not detecting so I incorporated it in my mental game anyway

I figure one day I'll be able to focus on my entire body at once during a squat, as much as I'm sorting through mental things while prepping lol

1 hour ago, shaarawy said:

This is my most important mental cue lately too. ^____________^

WE CAN DO IIIIT!  Back pain free!!

So far so good today! I think it is helping!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ixaera said:

This is the one I watched yesterday. Though I reviewed my form vids and didn't see hips shooting back, there could be micromovements I'm not detecting so I incorporated it in my mental game anyway

Here.

• Like 3

Just had a whole chocolate bar (what was I supposed to do, someone left a SPICY dark chocolate bar on my desk YUM)

and feelin good feels

so I just wanted to write here that I think moving a big heavy bar around is the best possible thing ever

and I love doing it

even if 75% of the time all I'm doing is fixing form for now. don't even care

Squats

1x5 45 lbs

1x5 65 lbs

1x3 95 lbs

5x3 113 lbs

Frackin' HARD. On a few reps, my knees tracked in a bit. Weight's heavy. Didn't fail, though. Didn't strain anything. There's no pain *magic awe face*

Bench

5x5 64 lbs

No warm up, was in a hurry to finish so I could change and get to the bank when it opened. Tough, but powered by saltines, so no invisible people were sitting on the bar today. I may have grunted audibly. Deal with it, gym plebs!

Rows

5x5 59 lbs

Rough. Last reps in the last sets got a little cheaty and I had to watch myself. No cheating!

No assistance; was in there over an hour already and had to skedaddle. Got mom stuff taken care of, got to work around lunch time. Am now ignoring two tickets because they're not emergencies and I just put away 1200+ cals in a sitting oofta

• Like 3

Week 1, Day 5 (yesterday)

So uh... happy hour after work was a LOT TOO HAPPY. The waitress was extremely diligent and probably trying to kill me. Suffice it to say, nothing but queasy sleep happened after 7 pm.

Protein: MISS (didn't even manage to come home and knock back a protein shake... )

Mobility stuff: N/A

Glute: MISS

Studying: MISS

Adulting: HIT (counting bank + dropping off wads of cash at mom's)

Jerb stuff: N/A (no time for anything)

Writing: HIT (counting working on my online class thingo)

A rough day for challenge. Entirely my own fault. Not even a good cut day. On the plus side, my lifts were fab~

Still no flexor of back pain

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Protein: MISS (didn't even manage to come home and knock back a protein shake... )

Just thinking about a protein shake after a heavy happy hour makes my stomach roll.... blerch.

33 minutes ago, ixaera said:

A rough day for challenge. Entirely my own fault. Not even a good cut day. On the plus side, my lifts were fab~

Still no flexor of back pain

I dunno, maybe it was rough because you had some serious logistical challenges, buuuut...there were some wins at least. 

• Like 2

What's a challenge, anyway???

Sort of took a lil zero day there, and didn't do QUITE as much as I wanted today, but you know what? I think I'm wired for the occasional zero day. And I'm making zero days OK as long as the week as a whole is good.

So how was this week, anyway??

I hit my protein goal 6/7 days

Mobility 3.5 days (I did a half assed stretch session after GoT tonight)

Glute work 2 days (needs improvement)

Study 4 days (acceptable, not gold star material here)

Writing 5 days (not bad)

Adulting 7/7 days (yay that)

Got a massage, so that's done for the whole challenge.

I LOOKED for awesome jobs, but didn't find one I'd want over my current one enough to bother. I looked, so this is good enough. I'm also going to be counting speaking with my boss and another team lead as progress towards this goal, because if I can team hop, I can nab some awesome experience.

Challenge-wise, I think I give myself a big B. Only not a B- because I got the massage done, and it's over with.

Could definitely do better, but I didn't fail or anything.

As for other stuff, my cut isn't a cut at all, partly on purpose right now because I'm going to be attempting big numbers tomorrow. Definitely had an if-it-fits-my-mouth evening, which I hope pans out for me in the A.M. I should really plan cuts around deloads, shouldn't I....

We're all learning here.

a8dcec1af3c797b6ff9bae3faec1f830.jpg

• Like 8

PROOF I PUSHED THE EARTH DOWN TODAY

Form's not 100%, but that was HARD and I had already given 120% to squats and OHP and then to a set of 5 at 134 lbs. My poor tired face. You can see it. 

Filmed this single just because I wanted my first deadlift with plates on recorded for when I'm 80 and reminiscing with other old ladies.

• Like 10

Yes!  Maybe it felt hard, but it looked smooth.  I think if you can PR deadlift after a full 5x5 workout, you're a lot stronger than you think.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Yes!  Maybe it felt hard, but it looked smooth.  I think if you can PR deadlift after a full 5x5 workout, you're a lot stronger than you think.

It was a really, really good workout. I'm sore, tired, and honestly breaking down that deadlift I struggled getting the bar back up (the one that's easier to set in place was in use... the decline press is oddly popular sometimes). Friday will be even harder... my squat today was NOT a PR, even for reps, just close to it, but my OHP was and kinda threw down two deadlift PRs in a row there. Friday will be a squat rep PR for all time (so finally breaking my 2013 newb squat PR), and an OHP weight PR & another deadlift PR. Cut's getting pushed back, PR PR PR PR PR

1655dn.jpg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, ixaera said:

set of 5 at 134 lbs

I thought you were lifting with a 45 pound bar.

I use weights like 134 because the Olympic bar I am typically using is 20 kg or 44 pounds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ixaera said:

shrugs in the power rack? arg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

POWER SHRRUUUGGGSSSSS

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I use weights like 134 because the Olympic bar I am typically using is 20 kg or 44 pounds.

I am, but I'm child-sized so I only go up 2 lbs on deadlifts. 5 lbs is usually too much. I have a set of 8 half lb plates I use to make this possible. It's made a WORLD of difference for my progression.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I use a 20kg bar but you can buy collars that are 1lb/pair.  If you collar everything, including the empty bar, it evens it out.  (unless you worry about the .092# overage)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I use a 20kg bar but you can buy collars that are 1lb/pair.  If you collar everything, including the empty bar, it evens it out.  (unless you worry about the .092# overage)

...says the Wizard of Oz who expresses a distance of 188 feet to the nearest 1/16".

Confirmed.  188' 3 9/16". 

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

...says the Wizard of Oz who expresses a distance of 188 feet to the nearest 1/16".

:D:D:D:D:D:D

You think I don't record my warm ups as 5 x 45.092 lbs?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Grymm said:

You think I don't record my warm ups as 5 x 45.092 lbs?

There is no reason for you to convert to pounds because:

kg > lbs

Ask SS. :D

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

PROOF I PUSHED THE EARTH DOWN TODAY

Form's not 100%, but that was HARD and I had already given 120% to squats and OHP and then to a set of 5 at 134 lbs. My poor tired face. You can see it. 

Filmed this single just because I wanted my first deadlift with plates on recorded for when I'm 80 and reminiscing with other old ladies.

Good job, you did the thing! Next time you'll bust out a set of 135 like wut even. 

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

It was a really, really good workout. I'm sore, tired, and honestly breaking down that deadlift I struggled getting the bar back up (the one that's easier to set in place was in use... the decline press is oddly popular sometimes). Friday will be even harder... my squat today was NOT a PR, even for reps, just close to it, but my OHP was and kinda threw down two deadlift PRs in a row there. Friday will be a squat rep PR for all time (so finally breaking my 2013 newb squat PR), and an OHP weight PR & another deadlift PR. Cut's getting pushed back, PR PR PR PR PR

1655dn.jpg

I am detecting signs of iron disease here, lol....go get those PRs. 

• Like 2