8 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

GIRL!!!! GET IT! 

(And I can't tell you how much I love the giant headphones.  Like seriously love them.)

They're the best! Earbuds fall out, these stay on even during bench. My phone actually won't pipe music while taking video, though, so they're technically useless in all these videos. They're cushy too, soft on the ears :D

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Week 2, Day 1

Still working from the fumes of a PR high. 

Protein: HIT

Mobility stuff: HIT (boyfriend helped me with some posterior chain rolling, he does so much better a job than I do, hamstring stretches and plow pose incoming)

Glute: N/A

Studying: HIT (2/3 of one chapter left)

Adulting: HIT (even turned down a friend's impromptu birthday drinks, but it was the right decision b/c PR week need sleep and he has a bday party Friday anyway)

Jerb stuff: N/A (no lie, I am terrified to check into the possibility of team hopping)

Writing: HIT (not much actual work, was strapped for time tonight, but made important plot decisions and recorded them... even better, this decision means writing practice opportunities that directly benefit the book--plot progression through stories within stories, y'all)

Squats

1x5 45 lbs

1x4 65 lbs <-- I randomly decided 4 was enough, was afraid to get too tired to do all my squats? it was early, logic is hard

1x1 95 lbs

5x3 115 lbs

Gym's A/C was on, but wasn't adequate this morning. I was beyond heated up and after the second set, really I thought I might have to run and puke. Everything settled down though and it didn't happen again. Yes, the weight is heavy, but IMO not quite puke heavy. I'll blame the heat.

OHP

5x5 51 lbs rep PR!

Tough as nails, and on a few reps I fought to get under there. Video next time, it felt straighter today.

Deadlifts

1x5 134 lbs

1x1 135 lbs PR!

I spoiled this story already in my excitement. 

Good challenge day.

ea4cbccd77c786717e36a0a2c8fdac21.jpg

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

21 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Well, if that isn't the start of an amazeballs week 2, I don't know what is!! Way to go, brute!!!

Paid for it a bit, woke up exhausted lol

No ragrats

1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

Ahhhh, so many PRs! I'm working on catching up on your thread, but so far I'm seeing great things! 

Hopefully a rep PR on bench tomorrow! It's in the program, anyway. Stroganoff don't fail me now :P

Week 2, Day 2

Mobility stuff: N/A today

Glute: true story just did it right now HIT my cat tried to smell my face the whole time

Studying: N/A

Adulting: HIT 

Jerb stuff: HIT

Writing: HIT 

Worked up the nerve to tell a manager on another team that I was interested in moving over. Went well I think? Either way, at least my name's out there somewhere I care to be, which counts for both this challenge and my peace of mind. Wrote a whole side bit about lore today.

Random other stuff: sticking to cardio, it's good reading time. very therapeutic.

actual cut attempt begins next deload. For now I'm feeding PRs and hopefully not busting out of my jeans (it's close though, guys, a cut is definitely imminent unless I want to buy new jeans soon, and I do not).

• Like 5

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Today started on the bench because someone was in the rack when I got there and I wanted to get started.

Needed a solid warm up though, which light day squats would have provided. Instead did some quick dynamic chest stretches and warm up bench sets. Saw a guy wearing the "Come With Me If You Want to Lift" shirt! Wanted to fist bump, didn't see him again after my first set. Ah well. Maybe he was ironically using the Smith machine.

Bench

2x3 45 lbs

1x2 50 lbs

5x5 65 lbs (rep PR)

A girl was shrugging in the rack when I completed bench, so I moved onto rows.

Row

5x5 60 lbs

The rack is empty! Hoorah! I start to move over there just as a beefy guy claims it. Darn. Maybe I can work in? I wait a few moments to see what he's doing or if it's plausible. Oh. More shrugs. (Both used the fail rails as a place to rest the bar between sets...) Can't work in on that.

WTF people. If you can't get it off the ground you shouldn't shrug it anyway, get your booty out da rack, there was plenty of floor space today!

I still want to do light squats, not skip altogether, so I go pick up one of the pre-made barbells for front squats. I've never done these, it'll be interesting.

Front Squats

3x10 40 lbs

Easy. Honestly, I haven't really cleaned a bar before so I was a little afraid to go higher than I could curl. Might try this next light day as a fun adventure.

Edit to clarify: I was cleaning 40 lbs to squat it today, just afraid to clean more because that's fairly new to me, so might push my boundaries next time

Rack's open!

Back Squats

2x5 95 lbs

Yeah, the only reason I didn't wait on anyone or try harder to work in was because this was all I was getting after today.

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Man I know diddly squat about shrugs, it seems a lot of people at my gym do them too??  (At least with dumbbells, not in the rack - HOW ANNOYING IS THAT!??!!)

Brute Squad PRs FTW!! :D:D

Also, why is job stuff so stressful, even if it just seems like something small?!  At least your name is out there though and you did your part!! ^____^

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

I don't get shrugs.  I think I may have tried them once 20 years ago.  If you're a competitive body builder, sure, bust out some shrugs, but the range of motion is so small.  It's like wrist curls.  I do calf raises, though, so I guess that analogous to wrist curls.  Traps are involved in so many other lifts. 

• Like 1

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

I think I did some shrugs once when I started trying to do ice cream fitness before work (takes too long, can't). They're okay I guess. But! It's totally feasible to stick that bar on the ground and deadlift it up if it's heavy. THOUGH, beefy dude did kinda look like he probably skips leg day, and I hadn't seen the girl before, and I know I rowed a few times in the rack before realizing I could do it from the ground and be more out of the way (and actually correct, too), so maybe she just hasn't thought about it much.

Speaking of long workouts... I'm perfectly okay spending a lot of time in the gym, but my scheduling problem is there's a point at which I just won't wake up that early, and after work the rack is usually full of bros the entire time. Is there anything inherently bad about splitting main lift and accessory work, doing accessory work 8-9 hours later?

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Here's my last set of bench today (hence the wobbly bar)

For some reason this looks WAY easier than it felt.

https://youtu.be/rfeewVbMCNE

Looks pretty good, I see the wobble from effort~

Re: shrugs, they really aren't useful for novice lifters (c'mon now, just deadlift!), as they are possibly part of a routine of more advanced lifters who don't train the deadlift itself routinely but do a combination of halting deadlifts, rack pulls, and maybe shrugs depending on the needs of the lifter, I suppose.  Shrugs are most effective with a weight much greater than the lifter can clean and thus requires explosive effort to shift that short distance--it's a power exercise like the clean, in fact it can be thought of as essentially an incomplete power clean because the weight's too heavy to rack.

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Week 2, Day 3

Mobility stuff: HIT (just some stretches and a little pec rolling cuz ooochies)

Glute: N/A

Studying: HIT (1/3 of one chapter left)

Adulting: HIT (sometimes I look at what I count as adulting and how little free time there STILL is left in an evening and sigh)

Jerb stuff: N/A (done this week, nixing this the rest of the challenge)

Writing: HIT (didn't do much beyond make a couple more decisions)

Got some work points (you trade them in for stuff & gift certs) today. Basically like D&B tokens. Debating saving them up for better stuff, or cashing out on gift certs. My friend got a job cross country and is working out those logistics (70 lb dog, house underwater--not literally, just financially). Coworker with bad fam stuff. Ran into ex-toxic-friend-slash-coworker like 3 times today, and I'm not quite to the point where that doesn't put me in a bad headspace, yet.

Ate a truly delicious sandwich.

Highlight of the day, right there, though the rep PR made me pretty happy. Hoping for 66 lbs and a new PR on Monday :D I don't see why I wouldn't be able to push one more pound up at least once, so the PR seems like it's in the bag, anyway.

Anyway, real tired. Gonna go build Arnold pecs in my sleep.

<3

200_s.gif

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Water curfew needs to come back... woke up 3-4 times last night and I'm so tired this morning I feel drunk. :/

Can't nap. Must work. Sigh.

Not really a "like," but more like "good idea." Water curfew is life. 

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

For real... on my 3rd diet soda b/c I don't drink coffee. Need caffeine directly in veins

Those feels, I know them. You'll sleep like a log tonight and have a fresh chance to get back on track.

5 minutes ago, ixaera said:

For real... on my 3rd diet soda b/c I don't drink coffee. Need caffeine directly in veins

You want a caffeine drip? :) 

I always forget there is caffeine in soda. I tried one of the Starbucks refreshers yesterday(didn't want an iced coffee) and the caffeine hit me like a truck within 20 mins of drinking it. I've not had that sort of caffeine jolt in a long time. 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Late, but congrats on the PRs!

YAY YOU'RE BACK

GYM SHENANIGANS

oh boy guys, do I have a tale for you today

I thought it was going to be a tale about how the regular guy with the personal space problem cat-called me today (major frown face), but nope, this other thing pales in comparison

Was doing my last couple of sets of overhead press, and this angry little old man (so angry, you guys) was on the cable machine next to me. I realize he's saying "fucking asshole" and other similar colorful phrases under his breath pretty loudly. Like, he wanted people to hear it. Then he'd stare. I realize this happens every time this dude puts down a deadlift. Now, I dunno if it's just these plates or all plates in general, but putting down a deadlift in this gym is noisy even if it's fairly gentle. This guy wasn't being particularly gentle, and it WAS noisy, but it's a gym, noises happen? 

This is clearly pissing the old man off, though. 

Time passes, he continues his cycle of cursing and staring (meanwhile, deadlifts are quite popular today and Shrug Girl was back and guys she is NOT a beginner, respect, and the people doing the deadlifts change, but the noise, of course, remains the same). The old man migrates to the bench press, where he does not bench, but sets down his towel and starts picking up a 10 lb plate to face level and then straight back down again. Kind of a wacky curl that I've never seen.

He is still cursing, and gets the attention of the deadlifters, who were previously too far to hear him or see him stare. Naturally, this causes ire.

Shrug Girl ignores him. There's a girl doing deadlifts on the other side of her I've never seen before, and she literally says "oh no you didn't"

literally you guys

Basically runs him out of the gym, and presumably goes to tell the front desk because she came back to talk to Shrug Girl and Tom Sellick (I guess I need to give this other regular an alias too).

:o

Anyway, Shrug Girl deadlifts 225, and for several sets. She's MUCH taller than me, I'd say nearing 6', so maybe the Wilks difference isn't that big but ... new goals

She also looks kinda like Meisha Tate and I'm a little envious of that too.

• Like 6

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

11 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Basically runs him out of the gym, and presumably goes to tell the front desk because she came back to talk to Shrug Girl and Tom Sellick (I guess I need to give this other regular an alias too).

Well - It is nice to see nicknaming going on in other threads! :D

12 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Was doing my last couple of sets of overhead press, and this angry little old man (so angry, you guys) was on the cable machine next to me. I realize he's saying "fucking asshole" and other similar colorful phrases under his breath pretty loudly. Like, he wanted people to hear it. Then he'd stare. I realize this happens every time this dude puts down a deadlift.

This might be me when I start on these 10x10's! :lol:

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP