8 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

What is that? It sounds good!

I appropriated this recipe

https://rumblytumbly.com/2015/05/30/paleo-whole-30-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

Honestly, I just kind of skimmed it to get the gist then did my own thing. Onion powder in lieu of onions. Extra garlic. Chili garlic sauce. Extra sesame oil (I ended up with more volume than the poster had, so I figured, why not). Ground turkey instead of chicken. Shredded zucchini instead of carrots. Kinda went "whatever" on ingredient portions. Soy sauce is a nice topping.

Yums

Week 2 Sum Up

Giving myself a solid A this week, and gave myself Saturday off from being an adult (FFXIV all day yep).

Studied 4/7 days, finished the book, have been watching exam preps. Going to take a practice exam next week. Aim is to schedule exam (for unknown date/time) by the end of this challenge. Nice, loose, achievable goal.

Wrote all but Saturday. Made some GOOD progress on my outline, have really explored my own writing processes and weak points. I may never be good at this, but at least I'll give these ideas a nice outlet.

Adulted every day but Saturday. Of everything I do besides fitness, this helps my mental health the most. It's second to anything fit-related in that regard.

Hit protein goals 6/7 days. BTW, enormous cookies are terrible for protein goals.

Mobilized on lift days, gluted night before lifts. Mobilized today too because this shoulder/neck thing is still there, hasn't really improved much. :/ If it's still a pain Wednesday, going to drop to the bar and just work form for OHP. I am hoping it's not a big deal for bench (but it might be for row... but my programming is going to be changing soon and row is likely to get demoted to accessory anyway)

V.e.r.y. N.e.r.v.o.u.s about lifting 119 lbs on squat tomorrow. 117 was hard, squat is my least favorite lift, I always get a little queasy lately (the A/C isn't great and the weight is heavy). Excited about bench, though.

So, I have week 3, and I'm planning to get in the gym 7/3 and then 7/5 before flying out on 7/6. I will not be able to gym. I looked into gyms around where I am, and I was looking for close + racks. There's not much useful. If I were staying alone or with bf, no big, but since I'll be with two girls who'll be wanting to explore, I don't want to hold them up. I checked for super close gyms with a rack, nothing that side of the highway. So, just going to grin and bear it, do the planned hike before they get there, and resign myself to hedonism for a few days.

Once back, I'm thinking about swapping to 5/3/1. It looks right up my alley. The question is whether I want to go 4 days a week and add in Sundays, or stick to 3 and spread it over 5 week cycles. Leaning towards Sundays at the moment, but it depends on how well I can tolerate the Sunday noon crowd.

167669-princess-bride-who-says-life-i-vw

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Random comments as I play catch-up:

I LOVE YELLOW CURRY

I too have been motoring around with the idea of 5/3/1 once I get back to my maxes - I'm looking at you, squat.  Squats also make me kinda barfy too... so you're not alone.  I think mine has to do with breathing though, especially on the terribly hard reps.  My cardio is dog buns and I always need to take a few extra breaths neat the end of my heavy set to "catch up" blargh.

YES for gym nicknames!  I do the same ^^  Angry little man, I would likely call him Ser SwearsALot...

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

6 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

I LOVE YELLOW CURRY

ME TOO. so much my favorite! All curries are awesome in my book, but when at a Thai place, I usually have yellow curry in my top 3 picks. I like it a little bit more than Indian curry, but ONLY A LITTLE

the potatoes inside are fuel~

6 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

I too have been motoring around with the idea of 5/3/1 once I get back to my maxes

My understanding is the PR train is slower, but I'm not particularly impatient so I'm okay with that. I'm thinking of either a modified triumvirate (limited by gym equipment on some of the suggested assistance, but I think I could swap some stuff out and be ok) or big but boring. The appeal for me is the focus on one main lift per session, makes me feel less bad about putting any particular big lift at the beginning or end. (Though really this hasn't been affecting deadlift that much.)

In my personal heaven, I'd have a big gym room that was just all mine, someone else maintains the stuff, and it has everything I want/need and tailored to my size (so no effing pull up bars 10 feet off the ground)

I'm trying so hard to save my lift report for my day summary

I just get so excited tho ><;

• Like 5

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Week 3, Day 1

Whoa, week 3 now? ok

Protein: HIT

Mobility stuff: HIT (lots. focused primarily on hamstrings and my hurt neck area, though also hit quads with some ouchie rolling. both self-paced yoga and rolls)

Glute: N/A

Studying: HIT (watched more exam prep)

Adulting: HIT (usual stuff + errands, more than enough to count)

Jerb stuff: N/A (not sure if I'll make myself do this this week, might set this to the side til I finish at least this first exam. I feel like my resume is still too weak)

Writing: HIT (didn't do a lot. brainstormed a character I really want in the mix)

LIFTS

I typo'd life it's Freudian

All thankfully unaffected by my injured muscle (not sure really if it's the trap, something in my upper back, or my neck, it's all interconnected and it hasn't really gotten better since Friday)

Squats

1x5 45 lbs

1x5 65 lbs

1x2 95 lbs

5x3 119 lbs (PR)

Super hard, nearly had to fail rail one of them on the 4th set. Friday is 121 lbs, no idea what to expect. Did not get pukey today at least. Was extremely anxious about these for some reason, but after the first set went well, it was no big. I have a video, but there's SO MUCH GLARE. oops

wanted bench next, but it was occupied... for all of one set of rows, so I was a little mad I didn't wait (and they left the 45 lb plates on, so rude)

Barbell Row

5x5 61 lbs

Bench (I remember when I might have struggled with 45 lb plates removing them from the bench like that)

5x5 66 lbs (PR)

Hard, but not ridiculously so. Think I've got one more PR in me, maybe two, which is good, because that's all I have time left for this cycle. Means the timing is right on at least this lift (and probably squats and deadlifts too, we'll see)

Since my neck still hurts The Same, I'm probably going back to bar for OHP Wednesday to work form instead of weight. Unless the bar hurts my neck, in which case I will just skip the lift and sulk

Anyway, today I ruined my childhood by watching The Princess Bride again. How is that possible?! you ask

Well, I've watched this movie dozens of times, most of those times before age 20. I read the book a couple of times, too. It has taken me til now to realize that there's only one major female character, and she's written as a simpleton, which I guess is the cheater's way out of writing a female when he doesn't understand how a woman's brain works anyway. This totally explains my confused feeling of ick reading the introduction in the book years ago. oh well. 

post-15145-inconceivable-gif-princess-br

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Week 3, Day 2

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

my trap is worse

no bueno

Protein: HIT

Mobility stuff: N/A though I rolled my stupid trap and my feet

Studying: N/A

Adulting: Gave myself a pass today due to ow

Writing: Finished my writing online class. It was ok. Got a few ideas from it.

Unsure how to proceed. Going to at least do light squats and deadlifts. Maybe attempt a few empty bar OHPs to see how they feel. Might call my doc? This feels injured.

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Didn't give my workout enough thought this morning. Learning~

Wednesday is light squats day, and I knew I was going light on OHP because of my trap, so when I walked in and saw someone on the rack, no big, I'll just grab the 30 lb long bar and OHP for a 3x10. Did that, dude was still squatting. Plenty of time, I could wait, but I decided I'd just do front squats since it's light squat day anyway, and it gives me a chance to see if I can clean the bar (I can). Then I think, hmm, oh it's deadlift time... but I didn't do heavy squats so I didn't really work the posterior chain already, that does away with the reasoning for 1 set, doesn't it? I'll just do 3x5

What I feel like I should have done was realize deadlift was my only heavy lift today, done a 5x5, then moved onto the light work for the other two, but probably not a big deal. 

I'm tired and have another ocular migraine, so I can't really berate myself for not doing 2 more sets. Definitely worked.

OHP

3x10 30 lbs

shoulda video'd, been practicing that form. Didn't hurt my trap, though. Not sure where I would have put my phone for video, in retrospect, anyway.

Front squats

3x10 45 lbs

No trouble cleaning the bar, quads felt the work. Not bad.

Deadlifts

2x5 136 lbs

1x4 136 lbs

Honestly felt like I wimped out here. I felt shaky and bleh so I didn't attempt that last rep. And as I was leaving, I wondered why I didn't do a 5x5 since I did nothing else hard besides this. Like I said, I feel worked, so it isn't the end of the world. 

eyeball migraines are really annoying, sorry for any typos

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Week 3, Day 3 (yesterday)

Ate like an asshole, did very poorly. Besides going in for lifts and doing some studying and brainstorming, did nothing adulty. I DID however apply to a job, though I was pretty sure I was done with that for a while, a job I couldn't NOT apply to shoved itself in my face. It's extremely unlikely I'll get a callback but, there you go.

Protein: NOPE (sigh, donut, cheetos, why??? stop!)

Mobility stuff: Semi-HIT. Half-HIT? I rolled the crap out of my traps, bf elbowed me in the back. Missed my lower body which needed it due to deadlifts, but my upperbody/neck is in some PAIN.

Studying: HIT (watched more exam prep)

Adulting: NOPE (not unless you count applying for my dream job and not sleeping in)

Jerb stuff: HIT (guess this one isn't falling off yet)

Writing: HIT (discussed post-apocalyptic story bits with bf, who likes post apocalyptic survival stuff, he knows what I need to add)

So, not the worst possible outcome of a day with a lot of neck pain, but not the best. Honestly, the neck pain could be worse. Have a chiropractic/massage appointment today to have a look at it and see if it's something a targeted massage can't fix. If this doesn't motivate me to get my OHP form right, I dunno what will.

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

oh duh. Shark Week is, like, Sunday or Monday. No... freakin... wonder.

Seriously how does that still surprise me at 34

One would be surprised at how well we block out Shark Week from our minds. Happens to a lot of us.

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

40 minutes ago, Urgan said:

One would be surprised at how well we block out Shark Week from our minds. Happens to a lot of us.

2 minutes ago, SnowOwl said:

I'm 40 and it still sneaks up on me - every single month. lol

It's just not on my mind and the gotchas are so small. I don't wanna do this or that, I'm tired, I'm annoyed, I'm ravenous and for some reason NEED CHEETOS and then finally I go, oh ... right... 

I hate hormones. I whine about female physiology every month to my boyfriend who always jokingly thanks me for my sacrifice :P

• Like 3

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

2 hours ago, ixaera said:

oh duh. Shark Week is, like, Sunday or Monday. No... freakin... wonder.

Seriously how does that still surprise me at 34

1 hour ago, SnowOwl said:

I'm 40 and it still sneaks up on me - every single month. lol

Anybody else use a phone app to track it? It's pretty nice to get a notification "shark week in 2 days" 

Thank you phone!! Let me make sure I keep my bathroom and purse stocked! 

• Like 2

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

59 minutes ago, Lifter5 said:

Anybody else use a phone app to track it? It's pretty nice to get a notification "shark week in 2 days" 

Thank you phone!! Let me make sure I keep my bathroom and purse stocked! 

I need to get one, and I think it's been mentioned before, but I didn't do it then ><; I'd want one customizable to warn me 6 days ahead.

Went to the chiropractor/message therapist to work on my sad neck. There's improvement, but not a lot at the moment. Hoping water and rest brings out the most of what was done.

So whiny is me

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Just now, ixaera said:

I need to get one, and I think it's been mentioned before, but I didn't do it then ><; I'd want one customizable to warn me 6 days ahead.

I've used two: P tracker lite (allows notifications up to 5 days ahead) which is super basic, period and PMS symptoms only. Premium version includes fertility tracking but I ain't paying for that. 

I now use an app called Kindara, which is a free full service fertility tracker -- basal temperature, mucus consistency, the whole 9 yards -- bc I'm now relying on hormone-free birth control methods. But if you wanted to use it for only period tracking, it can do that too. Also completely free and allows completely custom notifications, although they are trickier to figure out. But I have a reminder set for every cycle day 22 (of my 24 days) to remind me. IMO a much better app, albeit more complicated.

• Like 2

Level 2 Drow Ranger

Trying out P Tracker for now! I only need super basic~

Week 3, Day 4 (yesterday)

Just insert a big sucking noise here instead of an update, it'll get the point across.

My neck hurt basically all day. It's definitely the fault of the injured trap, and it's trying to bring me down with it. But no! You won't win, injured trap! I will find a way to defeat you!

Anyway, I bare-minimum adulted yesterday, kind of slightly wrote something, but mostly I came home after work and lay prone shooting my chagrined boyfriend pitiful looks. And ate two servings of ice cream. As you do. Of course.

Ibuprofen still helps though, so once that kicked in, I went to sleep :P

b2c7dde3-d4f9-4f7a-8838-bdfd421e5735.gif

TODAY

Because I can't ever wait. I lifted today. I wondered vaguely if it was a bad plan due to injured trap, but wasn't sure. I decided to let my trap tell me as I went. It never once spoke, except a tiny bit late in squats. (Maybe I had my gaze too high or something.)

WHAT? HOW CAN THERE BE MORE PRs?!

But there were. The microplates are my heros, basically. Without these little guys this would not be possible. I remember when >120 squat was just a distant gleam in my little eye, but here we are! Yay!

Squats

1x5 45 lbs

1x5 65 lbs

1x3 95 lbs

4x3 121 lbs (PR!!)

1x2 121 lbs

I did not actually fail the last rep. I didn't attempt it. I had a strong suspicion I would fail it and I wimped out of making loud fail rail sounds, so there's a teensy chance I might have made it.

Bench

5x5 67 lbs (PR!!)

Landed all dem bitches. It was hard af too, but no need to mentally run through how to roll of shame jic. Wasn't toooo close to that.

Row

5x5 62 lbs

it was whatever

OKAY SO HERE WE ARE

next session falls on a holiday, gym is closed, and I go out of town and won't be gymming out of town. That will eat up 2 sessions.

So, I'm going to go on Sunday, do 138 lb deadlifts, light squats, light OHP (if trap is healed, and no OHP if there's any neck pain still), and some core/bicep/tricep stuff. Then take a week off while gone, come back, start 5/3/1.

Since I'll be out of town the majority of Week 4, there's still A LITTLE questing I can do while there. Writing, for example. Mostly just writing. Might work on mobility for fun, too, if there's a quiet place to stretch out of view of my 2 travel roomies.

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Dude. Awesome. All of it.

And I tend to attack my traps with a lacrosse ball from time to time. Mine usually feel like burlap sacks with knotted up rope in them. =\

• Like 1

Level 2 Drow Ranger

9 minutes ago, Lifter5 said:

Dude. Awesome. All of it.

And I tend to attack my traps with a lacrosse ball from time to time. Mine usually feel like burlap sacks with knotted up rope in them. =\

The traps (both of them) have been rolled so much they're almost bruisey now :(

I also saw a massage therapist yesterday who concentrated there and at the base of my skull. It's stubborn as hell! :(

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

According to this site

http://strengthlevel.com/

the deadlifts I'll be attempting on Sunday, IF I can do 5 of them, would put me in the bottom of the intermediate range.

Considering my unofficial goal was reaching intermediate by the end of the year, that's pretty cool! :D

That said, I'm not sure how much I trust that 1RM calculation, but hay. I'll take it?

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

That reminds me. Not that these things are 100% true to every single human body ever and the "intermediate" here is not equivalent to "intermediate programming", buuut it's fun to play with stuff like this

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

I like Rippetoe's definition of "Novice" and "Intermediate" better:  A Novice is a lifter who shows up at the gym on Monday and PR's.  Then shows up on Wednesday and PR's again.  Rinse and repeat Friday.

Based on that definition, I wish I was still a novice!

• Like 2

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Just now, Sam Ashen said:

I like Rippetoe's definition of "Novice" and "Intermediate" better:  A Novice is a lifter who shows up at the gym on Monday and PR's.  Then shows up on Wednesday and PR's again.  Rinse and repeat Friday.

Based on that definition, I wish I was still a novice!

Just so, and you are too, too right. You want to be a novice for as loooooong as you can keep on increasing after each session (with built-in forgiveness for Bad Days and blasting through tiny plateaus, of course....). 

• Like 2