- Food

- Puns

- Oh yeah, fitness related stuff too!

I didn't even know SA liked food.

• Like 2

Snatch Pulls, 5x64, 5x74, 5x84, 5x94 pounds

Snatch High Pulls, 2x5x94, 2x5x114, 5x134 pounds

Clean High Pulls, 2x5x134 pounds, 2x5x154 pounds, 5x174 pounds

Letting the weight hang, then doing a muscle clean and racking the weight wins an eye roll.  Something about lifting ratios being so messed up.

Paused High Bar Squats, 5x174, 5x224, 5x234, 5x244 pounds

Overhead Press, 5x44, 5x94, 2x5x104 pounds [EDIT: corrected OHP from 5x114 to 2x5x104]

Not rating it today, but it was all painless. :D

We gossiped about people I used to train with - pretty much revealing the real reason I gave her a call.  The paused squats made me think of it.  "Big Air!"

Back at the beginning of the year, I was dealing with rotating trainers.  Earlier we were discussing turnover.  I said it seems high in that particular location.  (Acknowledged.)  One factor is location.  Kind of out there in Suburbia.  (Meh.)  There is one more factor.  (Arm twisting.) Name named.  (How did you even know that?)

She picked me up late last year for her Crossfit Counterfit Class when I was working with somebody and working once or twice per week on power lifts and accessories.  Not feeling creative enough to give him a nickname.  Sorry. :(  Going with the Dark Side theme, Darth Deeb is simply not nice.  Anyway, if you look through (or remember) earlier Challenges, you will find a lot of randomness which I tried very hard to balance out.  Anyway, he took about a two-month LoA and Miss Broki was quick to pick me up.  After those two months, he was back and she moved locations.  Within a few weeks, he had an "episode" and was "gone."

So I was going through rotating trainers.  Very annoying.  The natural successor was the person was the Priest of Broki who inherited the Counterfit Class.  I worked with him once on the Friday before the February Virtual Meet.  Coincidentally, this was also the time I signed up for the April 23 PL Meet and I decided to give Miss Broki a call because she knew at least something about the lifts and I worked with her in the past and did not have major problems and we knew each other.  So I played the "Rotating Trainers and Signed up for Meet" card.

The real reason was he saw my squat and asked, "Did you just hold your breath?"  Yes, I did.  "Why?"  Because you are supposed to.  (facepalm - Maybe for beginners.  He should know better.)

So basically, I really did not want to argue these points just two months before a meet.

Previous to that, Darth Deeb was adamantly trying to change my DL setup.  (facepalm)

Meanwhile, she is curious about what bad things I say about her! :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score for Today:

2684 Calories

302 Carbs

95 Fat

174 Protein

-0.5 Overall

Veggies - Ha!  Okay.  Stuffed Bell Peppers.  Does not count.  Came out of a box.  Not really real food.  The idea of stew is sounding a bit better.

I thought about the consistency discussion some more and decided what should mark the lower extreme is how often the overall MFP score is negative, like today.  It's pretty easy to track and I have very fast access to about four weeks of data.  All I have to do is circle the negative numbers.  For simplicity, the extreme high scores can be anything over 4000.  That should be easy to find and in a different line, so I can just circle those.

That said, what I am staring at is:

26 Days of data.

Days over 4000:  3

Negative Score Days: 4

Looks like 16 days between 3000 and 4000.  Who thinks that is too broad a range?

• Like 4

TLDR:  Spezzy saves the day by telling me to sign up for a PL meet. :D

(Which was actually on my list of secret goals.)

I still have trouble tagging people.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grymm said:

So much redacted drama!

Some closure to some issues I had dating back to around the time I joined NF.

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Never let her find NF. The tales you tell of her ruthlessness would only encourage her. :panda:

Thinking back to my World of Warcraft days, Little Girl Gnome Tanks were something to watch.  You know?  Big, Huge, Bad, Monster Baddie.  Little Girl Gnome Tank with an Attitude.

Ruthlessness?  Hmm.

35 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

curious about what bad things I say about her

Trap, right? :lol:

Nothing good can come of this.

---------------------------------------------

Added:  Actually, she really does not come across as a forum reader type of person.  She does seem to know all the Warrior Troll Lines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Thinking back to my World of Warcraft days, Little Girl Gnome Tanks were something to watch.  You know?  Big, Huge, Bad, Monster Baddie.  Little Girl Gnome Tank with an Attitude.

I main tanked for a lot of the old WoW content, and as a dwarf warrior, let me tell you - staring at knees and feet at point blank range is fairly anti-climatic.  Firemaw and Flamegor?  I was mashed into the wall so far, I couldn't even see my character.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Snatch Pulls, 5x64, 5x74, 5x84, 5x94 pounds

Snatch High Pulls, 2x5x94, 2x5x114, 5x134 pounds

Do you do high snatch pulls with more weight then your regular snatch pulls?

This seems contrary what I know so help me out if you've been taught differently. Snatch pulls you generally keep in the ball park of 90-110% of your max snatch. Going to heavy has a tendency to slow your pull right down.

Snatch high pulls I thought sat in the ball park of like 60-80%. You need to be getting that height and speed. around nipple height I generally try and get the bar, and that's maintaining a nice straight line and trying to keep the pull straight and close to my body.

And I don't usually do both on the same day, I'd try alternating with high pulls on power days and regular pulls on full lift days.

Do you do your own programming?

The snatch pulls were really a warm up leading up to high pulls because I knew they were coming.

Snatch high pulls are very new to me.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I main tanked for a lot of the old WoW content, and as a dwarf warrior, let me tell you - staring at knees and feet at point blank range is fairly anti-climatic.  Firemaw and Flamegor?  I was mashed into the wall so far, I couldn't even see my character.

The height of my WoW career was the Outlands. Human Warrior Tank. Did not get in raids that often until later. Made level 60 just before the Outlands came out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

The height of my WoW career was the Outlands. Human Warrior Tank. Did not get in raids that often until later. Made level 60 just before the Outlands came out.

I was an active raider from Molten Core early 2005 through Firelands Rag hard mode, whatever year that was.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

The snatch pulls were really a warm up leading up to high pulls because I knew they were coming.

Snatch high pulls are very new to me.

Fair enough. Was just scrolling through and saw that and sort of did a double take.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grymm said:

Tanks unite!!

I bear tanked from BC through Wrath... I got to stare at a lot of crotches while raiding. x_________x The things we put up with for party victory, ya?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I thought about the consistency discussion some more and decided what should mark the lower extreme is how often the overall MFP score is negative, like today.  It's pretty easy to track and I have very fast access to about four weeks of data.  All I have to do is circle the negative numbers.  For simplicity, the extreme high scores can be anything over 4000.  That should be easy to find and in a different line, so I can just circle those.

26 Days of data.

Looks like 16 days between 3000 and 4000.  Who thinks that is too broad a range?

For what its worth I think you analyze your calorie data a lot for someone who is consistently maintaining their weight with little effort. Unless maybe it is your over emphasis on data that is allowing you to maintain? Maybe it is just the fact that you track. that your weight is not out of control one direction or the other? So if the solution is just to track (for you in particular I mean) then does it matter if your variance is 1,000 calories? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

26 Days of data.

As a step one, 1000 calories is too wide a range to stick to forever if you're trying to minimize variability, but it's an okay place to start working on making your intake as consistent as is reasonable, right? When concerned about staying right on maintenance, I stuck to +-250 calories 5 days of the week (one day for purposefully eating more, one for leniency). I hung around at the most +-2lbs while enforcing this policy.

Hit 1000 today, shoot for a lower variance next, re-evaluate your performance~

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

For what its worth I think you analyze your calorie data a lot for someone who is consistently maintaining their weight with little effort. Unless maybe it is your over emphasis on data that is allowing you to maintain? Maybe it is just the fact that you track. that your weight is not out of control one direction or the other? So if the solution is just to track (for you in particular I mean) then does it matter if your variance is 1,000 calories? 

FWIW, I do this. If I don't keep up with food, I go back to my old ways of undereating and it is a sad, sad time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

FWIW - I love data and I love analysis.  Welcome to NERD Fitness! :lol:

It does not mean we all love data and analysis, but the probability is much, much higher than average that you encounter such people.

13 minutes ago, Urgan said:

FWIW, I do this. If I don't keep up with food, I go back to my old ways of undereating and it is a sad, sad time.

This.

14 minutes ago, Urgan said:

As a step one, 1000 calories is too wide a range

Noted.  Thank you.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Urgan said:

...this is why tracking is going to be a thing this challenge. I'm incapable of eating enough without having a minimum goal.

Though I'm actually not doing horrible, because my hair and nails are growing. If I get at enough of an accidental deficit, that stops.

Are you saying 1000 is your weekly variance or your daily variance? How would you even have a daily variance? Maybe variance for daily goal? 

To me, doesn't seem to bad on a weekly level. And you aren't struggling with body comp, so I don't see a reason for you to get more precise.

But that advice is worth what you paid for it :P What does Broki say?

I think what this calls for is a standard deviation graph towards the end of this challenge when you'll have around 50 data points.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

I think what this calls for is a standard deviation graph towards the end of this challenge when you'll have around 50 data points.

Actually, I can get over 180.  It is all in a spreadsheet.  Score each week one by one.  Days over.  Days under.

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

Are you saying 1000 is your weekly variance or your daily variance? How would you even have a daily variance? Maybe variance for daily goal?

Daily.  I just picked something convenient.  3000 to 3999 because it is easy to spot.  Or negative numbers because they are easy to spot.

The next alternative I can think of is 3350±350.  This is close to 10% in either direction.  It also represents my average for the year to date.  Circle all the numbers greater than 3700.  Cross all the numbers below 3000.

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

And you aren't struggling with body comp

I consider it to be constant enough that I just assume my LBM is 160 pounds when I figure BF%.  Going with 5 pounds per year if I am doing great with building up and maintaining a body weight of 200 pounds, then BF% goes from 20% to 17.5%, approximately 0.2% per month.

Going back to the tape measure method, this amounts to a change in the waist measurement of approximately 3mm (0.125 inch) per month.  This is very difficult to check, unless measuring over a period of four or eight months.

Notice the lack of circular logic in this explanation. :D

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

What does Broki say?

No need to worry about weight class at this time.

Just be sure to eat enough.

EAT!

(What weight class do you think I will hit in the long run?)

That depends on how strong you get.

(So many food pr0n pics on my phone.)

*eyeroll*

(Who needs MyFitnessPal when you have my phone?)

:lol: Who needs MyFitnessPal when I have your phone! :lol:

(We're done early tonight!  I can totally eat like a jerk tonight if I want!)

IF you want.  (*jedimindtrick*)

What's that in kg?

What's that in pounds?

What's that as a percentage of your max?

What's 85% of your max?

(MyFitnessPal says I should be 225 pounds by now!)

And that's why I don't really like MyFitnessPal, except for tracking.

(Everything I read says gains are made on Rest Days!)

And that's why you get Rest Days!

(I just use the cheap powder from Target.)

*darkglare*

The general trend is she does not seem too concerned about it right now.  Her position on MFP Hi-Score days is as long as I don't do it every day.  If I wrote down my scores and showed her, then I would get a better answer.  Most likely, she would say the Carbs seem very high and be curious how I managed those days.

Based on a conversation about six months ago, she seems to believe in 1g Protein per pound of body weight.  I have not discussed that issue in a while.  I shoot for 0.75 to 0.8 as a minimum and I think I average about 88%.  I still think 1g is out there as a rule of thumb because it avoids multiplication and requires more tricks to accomplish.

She also is an Agent of Darkside Fitness.  Therefore, she has some interest in the sales of their products.  Most likely it is a very small commission and some recognition.  (Better chance at promotions?)  The look I got for saying I just use the cheap Protein Powder from Target was priceless!

She asked about supplements, but did not press the issue.  This is called gathering information.  No doubt she has a laundry list of issues to deal with, one by one.  My position on supplements is similar to what MM posted on this thread a while ago.  The final 5% of the battle.  Another article I read suggested taking care of the basics before worrying about it.  (Like water and sleep.)

There is a whole bunch of information out there on teh Internetz.  Confirmation Bias will find my side of the argument in no time.  Regarding supplementation, it might be valid to find out what Olympic Weightlifters, say in the Olympics do.  (Besides Vitamin S.)  It would be more valid to find out what basics they take care of, first.  In other words, not much point in spending tons of money on supplements if I am at BWW three times per week eating Dessert Nachos. :P

Not sure if I missed anything, but I will think on it.

• Like 7

Muscle Snatch plus Snatch Balance Singles at 64, 74, 3x84, 3x94 pounds

Snatch Singles at 94, 104, 114, 104, 114, 124 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 134, 154, 164, 154, 164, 174 pounds

Front Squat Doubles at 184, 224, 234, 244 pounds

Clean Pull, 3x3x244 pounds

8 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

(We're done early tonight!  I can totally eat like a jerk tonight if I want!)

IF you want.  (*jedimindtrick*)

She thinks I ate like an asshole last night.  Nope.  Still not really time on weeknights.

Score for Today:

2460 Calories

264 Carbs

82 Fat

183 Protein

-2.7 Overall

I suppose I *could* have thrown in that pizza.  I am going to chalk this up to no "bulk cooking" attempt this week.  Therefore, I am running out of my usual stuff to fill out my macros.

I still feel fine.  Tomorrow is Friday.  So I will survive.  The Squats will tell the real story. :D

• Like 2