• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen Wandering Aimlessly

17 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

There is a whole bunch of information out there on teh Internetz.  Confirmation Bias will find my side of the argument in no time.  Regarding supplementation, it might be valid to find out what Olympic Weightlifters, say in the Olympics do.  (Besides Vitamin S.)  It would be more valid to find out what basics they take care of, first.  In other words, not much point in spending tons of money on supplements if I am at BWW three times per week eating Dessert Nachos. :P

THIS. I've gotten as far down the rabbit hole as micronutrients but then jumped back up to not even tracking a few weeks ago. For me, and I think most knowledgeable people the order of priority is: 

Tracking

Tracking accurately

Hitting calorie targets

Hitting macro percentages

Hitting fiber goal

Assessing and correcting nutrient deficiences (blood work from yo' doctor)

Supplements

And somewhere in there before supplements is adequate sleep, water, rest days, and de-stressing. 

Although I am sure there are some people who would put those in a totally different order. And to be fair even when I'm not tracking my doc still has me taking vitamin D, vitamin C, and iron supplements. 

9 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Score for Today:

2460 Calories

264 Carbs

82 Fat

183 Protein

-2.7 Overall

I suppose I *could* have thrown in that pizza.  I am going to chalk this up to no "bulk cooking" attempt this week.  Therefore, I am running out of my usual stuff to fill out my macros.

I still feel fine.  Tomorrow is Friday.  So I will survive.  The Squats will tell the real story. :D

Are squats today then? Let us know how they go!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

THIS. I've gotten as far down the rabbit hole as micronutrients but then jumped back up to not even tracking a few weeks ago. For me, and I think most knowledgeable people the order of priority is: 

Tracking

Tracking accurately

Hitting calorie targets

Hitting fiber goal

Supplements

And somewhere in there before supplements is adequate sleep, water, rest days, and de-stressing. 

That is a great summary!  always amazes me how  many people want to jump to the bottom two or three to start with.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, evabo said:

This is an interesting article that basically says you're right ;-)  http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/09/14/clean-eating-vs-iifym-advanced-athletes/

Word. :) I think my goal for the rest of this year is going to be to slowly work my way back up the pyramid to where I was when I was actively losing weight, to eventually get at that last 10-15# I want to lose. Which is somewhere between hitting macros and hitting fiber goals. 

thread_hijack_sorry_cat.jpg~original

38 minutes ago, evabo said:

This is an interesting article that basically says you're right ;-)  http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/09/14/clean-eating-vs-iifym-advanced-athletes/

This is interesting!  Thank you!  Disclaimers as follows:

The title does have "Advanced Athletes" in it.  I am no "Advanced Athlete."  This very likely explains why I am given a lot of leeway on diet.  The main restriction I have is if I am having an IfItFitsMyMouth Day, then she also wants to hear about it and see the pictures.

Listed as the bottom line in IIFYM Cons is basically "Sorry IIFYM'ers."  It is not the best strategy for enhancing body composition.  However.  Context.  The writer is talking about high level Body Builders.

So what I get is the main issue with IIFYM is High GI Carbs versus Low GI Carbs and just how lean can you get with IIFYM.

Also noted.  That color breakdown chart looks almost exactly the same as MM's chart.

My bottom line for the near term is:  Broki and I seem to be on the same page regarding priorities.  Get the Squat up to 200 kg or so.  Then we can talk about body composition.  I hope this makes sense to everybody.

However:  Bulking to 105 kg is no.  No.  NO.  NOPE.  Absolutely NOT.  DON'T DO IT.

35 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

thread_hijack_sorry_cat.jpg~original

No such thing.

Besides.  We are having a very interesting discussion about diet.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2016 at 9:49 PM, Sam Ashen said:

TLDR:  Spezzy saves the day by telling me to sign up for a PL meet. :D

(Which was actually on my list of secret goals.)

I still have trouble tagging people.

Also.  I finally learned how to tag.

@spezzy From your Spezzimus Prime Challenge, I learned that 1 is NOT a prime number and that knowledge came in handy one Saturday afternoon in an Escape Room.  Part of the last part of the puzzle was to connect the dots - The First 9 Primes. :D

• Like 1

My main takeaway was that there is little point fussing over what supplements to get while my calories are way out of whack. Edit to add that for me, there is a link between food quality and calories, in the sense that it seems easier to control calories when I stay away from nutrient poor and super palatable foods and just stick to "food food".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, evabo said:

just stick to "food food"

As well as I understand NF lingo - This is called "Real Food."

So at the top of the list of NF Nutrition Advice is: Eat Real Food.

:)

On 6/8/2016 at 9:46 PM, Sam Ashen said:

I thought about the consistency discussion some more and decided what should mark the lower extreme is how often the overall MFP score is negative, like today.  It's pretty easy to track and I have very fast access to about four weeks of data.  All I have to do is circle the negative numbers.  For simplicity, the extreme high scores can be anything over 4000.  That should be easy to find and in a different line, so I can just circle those.

That said, what I am staring at is:

26 Days of data.

Days over 4000:  3

Negative Score Days: 4

I know you defined this a while ago, but can you tell us again what defines your "score"?

On 6/9/2016 at 1:23 PM, Sam Ashen said:

In other words, not much point in spending tons of money on supplements if I am at BWW three times per week eating Dessert Nachos. :P

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has he seen the light?!?!?! ;) :panda:

7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Tracking

Tracking accurately

Hitting calorie targets

Hitting fiber goal

Supplements

Very nice list!!!! And true, you are probably getting the most bang for your buck out of the top 4.

5 hours ago, evabo said:

The graphic looks the same because it's the same publisher :)

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not entirely. If you eat enough you can get ripped clothing. :panda:

Mr. J has a shirt that says "I flexed and the sleeves fell off"

He bought it and then showed it to me and says "Get it? It's funny cuz I'm fat!" lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I know you defined this a while ago, but can you tell us again what defines your "score"?

There is a very high probability I did NOT define overall score.  It is the number that goes with:

If every day were like today, then in five weeks you will weight OMG.

So I calculate the number of pounds MFP says I will gain over the next five weeks and call that my overall "score."

10 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

There is a very high probability I did NOT define overall score.  It is the number that goes with:

If every day were like today, then in five weeks you will weight OMG.

So I calculate the number of pounds MFP says I will gain over the next five weeks and call that my overall "score."

I had just assumed it was some kind of top secret algorithm developed in an underground Swiss lab.  I should note some of those numbers.  I would be funny.  I have many days it says I would lose 17+ lbs over the next 5 weeks and that's without logging exercise and my lifestyle set to sedentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

I had just assumed it was some kind of top secret algorithm developed in an underground Swiss lab.  I should note some of those numbers.  I would be funny.  I have many days it says I would lose 17+ lbs over the next 5 weeks and that's without logging exercise and my lifestyle set to sedentary.

This is pretty much where mine is set.  I was introduced to MFP about 4.5 years ago.  So the lifestyle setting is based on occupation where I sit at a desk all day.  Actually I have antsinpantsitis.  (I walk around a lot.)

So I think it has my BMR at about 1800.  Add about 500 for lifestyle, so 2300.  Add specific exercise for grand total.  So if I say I was at the gym for two hours, then the grand total is 2800.  My YTD average is about 3350, so it predicts I stack on nearly 0.5 kg per week.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:38 AM, elvenengineer said:

What does Broki say?

If he dies, he dies.  *shrug*

-------------------------------------

Added:  Meanwhile, today is totally DERP.  My most productive option would have been to close the door and try to sleep.  Maybe I will feel better in 45 more minutes.

• Like 1

I stopped telling it when I was done logging for the day awhile ago. I would be curious to see what it thinks about my current diet, since I am also currently maintaining. I keep upping my calorie target on the app, that has been fun. 

I had some old co-workers that were convinced they could only eat the minimum 1200 calories per day, per MFP calculations. And I had to explain to them - that is because you told it you wanted to lose like 20 lb in a month and it will only go as low as 1200. It isn't trained to give you a more reasonable weight loss plan even if your goals are unrealistic, its a calculation, not a person. Most people just leave it at the default calorie goal and don't understand how it calculated that number. 

**runs to punch the day's close out button on MFP**

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

Me too. I imagined supercomputers and spreadsheets galore.

• Like 3

The DERP day carries over to the gym a bit.

Power Snatch Doubles at 64, 84, 94, 104, 114, 119, 124 pounds

Power Clean Doubles at 134, 154, 174, 184, 194, 204 pounds

Squats, 5x184, 5x224, 5x5x269 pounds - I will take these ones!

Dumbbell Push Press, 5x30, 5x35, 5x40, 5x45, 5x50 pounds

Dumbbell Row, 5x5x80 pounds

Score for Today:

3719 Calories - Went straight home.  Baked a pizza.

392 Carbs

160 Fat

201 Protein

+7.2 Overall

Hmm.  If MFP is off by 1.0 per week, then all I really need to do is knock 5.0 off the Overall Score. :D  Then when I *finally* get around to cutting (which is when She Who Must Not Be Named tells me to) I can simply shoot for an Overall Score of 0.0 to 5.0.

Average Score for Week 23:

3186 Calories

357 Carbs

125 Fat

177 Protein

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

+7.2 Overall

Hmm.  If MFP is off by 1.0 per week, then all I really need to do is knock 5.0 off the Overall Score. :D  Then when I *finally* get around to cutting (which is when She Who Must Not Be Named tells me to) I can simply shoot for an Overall Score of 0.0 to 5.0.

Lol, Trying to make MFP's forecasting accurate/useful....when it comes to predictions, the F in MFP stands for Failure.

• Like 5