The Rebel Timelord dusts himself off

I attempted my first four week challenge in January. About four days into it came down with bronchitis. I had been so enthusiastic at the outset and felt like such a failure as the weeks slipped by… But a hero doesn’t give up when they get knocked down. So I’m dusting myself off and going for it again. This time I have my Time Lady companion with me, too. We're cheering each other on.

I’m starting small and laying some behavioral groundwork for big changes:

Diet

Log my diet every day in My Fitness Pal.

Eat at least one serving of vegetables daily.

Fitness

Complete the Beginner Bodyweight Workout 3x a week.

Level Up Your Life

Pack my lunch every evening so I am making healthy choices ahead of time, rather than making unhealthy choices "on the fly."

• Like 9

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

On 7 Jun 2016 at 1:23 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

But a hero doesn’t give up when they get knocked down.

Ain't that the truth.

Sounds like a good challenge. Cheering for you.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Hope you're fully recovered from the bronchitis! Being sick is just the worst, especially when it gets in the way of exciting plans.

I'm a fellow food logger and I find it so helpful. And having ready-to-go healthy food in packed lunches is definitely a smart way to make the right choice an easy one. I'm a big fan of finding ways to structure things in such a way that meeting my goals is as easy as possible, haha.

Good luck and I'll follow along!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Rock it, Timelord!

doctor who guitar peter capaldi 12th doctor series 9

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

26 minutes ago, LucentFrost said:

Wow! We started the same time and respawn at the same time, too! Following your updates :)

And also we have similar quests for this month like tracking food on myfitnesspal and doing the bodyweight workout. We can do this!!!

We certainly can! Great minds think alike I guess!

• Like 1

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Hey! We have similar goals this time around. Packing my lunch the night before alleviates soooo much morning stress and aids with motivation the next day. What are your favorite veggies to pack in a lunch? I've been rotating carrots, snap peas and green bell peppers.

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 6/7/2016 at 7:23 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Pack my lunch every evening so I am making healthy choices ahead of time, rather than making unhealthy choices "on the fly."

Such a seemingly small change but it truly makes a world of difference!  Best of luck :) 

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Instagram | Symmetric Strength

"Life's like Sanskrit read to a pony" - Lou Reed

On 6/7/2016 at 7:23 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

This time I have my Time Lady companion

What a great way to start a journey !

And by the way, your name TIMELORD, is da bomb ! There's a certain ring to it. Cheers ! 

Timelord.jpg

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

I wanted to update you on my progress so far and some lessons learned. I faithfully did the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit two weeks before the challenge officially began. It went great! The first day of the "real" challenge, not so much! I had to work an hour and a half early so I missed my morning workout. I resolved to do it after work. When I got home I remembered that I had to go to court to dispute a speeding ticket. I then resolved to workout before bed. As I drove home, I saw a vigil in progress for victims of the Orlando shooting. I felt I needed to pay my respects and stand as an ally with my local LGBTQ community. So day one ended with no workout or a walk to work. As I lay in bed I wondered if this challenge was doomed to failure.

The handle I chose for The Rebellion is @Rebel_Timelord. I chose it because Doctor Who has been my favorite TV show since 1978. The classic series was serialized, meaning that there were multiple cliffhangers in each adventure until the concluding episode. It got me thinking that my very favorite fantasy character of all time, my childhood hero, ended up royally screwed in five out of every six episodes! I'd faithfully tune in the next week because I knew somehow, someway The Doctor would overcome the obstacle and keep going. I got up the next morning and completed the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit.

Maybe you're like me: you've racked up more obstacles than accomplishments when it comes to diet and exercise. We're no strangers to discouragement. Let's promise each other something: This time we'll keep going. My week wasn't perfect, but I'm learning and making adjustments. For instance I didn't meet my walk-to-work goal, but I'm going on a hike tomorrow to make up the distance. I've decided that this week was just Episode One and I'm going to see it through to the Conclusion.

I hope that you're doing well. I'm celebrating your accomplishments as you post updates and trust you're learning from any obstacles that got you down.

• Like 6

Sound like that first day was first very busy and then you ended it with something that is important to us as human beings: compassion. I can understand why you would wonder, but sometimes life gets in the way and life is more important.

And then you hit it like a boss by doing it the next day.

I really like your attitude. Compassion for yourself and others. That is something to live by.

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

5 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I wanted to update you on my progress so far and some lessons learned. I faithfully did the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit two weeks before the challenge officially began. It went great! The first day of the "real" challenge, not so much! I had to work an hour and a half early so I missed my morning workout. I resolved to do it after work. When I got home I remembered that I had to go to court to dispute a speeding ticket. I then resolved to workout before bed. As I drove home, I saw a vigil in progress for victims of the Orlando shooting. I felt I needed to pay my respects and stand as an ally with my local LGBTQ community. So day one ended with no workout or a walk to work. As I lay in bed I wondered if this challenge was doomed to failure.

The handle I chose for The Rebellion is @Rebel_Timelord. I chose it because Doctor Who has been my favorite TV show since 1978. The classic series was serialized, meaning that there were multiple cliffhangers in each adventure until the concluding episode. It got me thinking that my very favorite fantasy character of all time, my childhood hero, ended up royally screwed in five out of every six episodes! I'd faithfully tune in the next week because I knew somehow, someway The Doctor would overcome the obstacle and keep going. I got up the next morning and completed the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit.

Maybe you're like me: you've racked up more obstacles than accomplishments when it comes to diet and exercise. We're no strangers to discouragement. Let's promise each other something: This time we'll keep going. My week wasn't perfect, but I'm learning and making adjustments. For instance I didn't meet my walk-to-work goal, but I'm going on a hike tomorrow to make up the distance. I've decided that this week was just Episode One and I'm going to see it through to the Conclusion.

I hope that you're doing well. I'm celebrating your accomplishments as you post updates and trust you're learning from any obstacles that got you down.

Indeed, every challenge has obstacles. It's easy to plan and begin something, but it's hard to keep going if there are things that comes in the way of our goals. We envision the way as a smooth ride when we start, but we tend to be discouraged when we see bumps in the road. But we must be persistent to pursue and reach our goals.

I love your way of thinking! Let's be adaptable by making adjustments and learning what doesn't work for us. And keep pushing. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dagger said:

I really like your attitude. Compassion for yourself and others. That is something to live by.

Thanks, @Dagger. No day can truly be a failure if I've shown compassion to others and myself.  

29 minutes ago, LucentFrost said:

I love your way of thinking! Let's be adaptable by making adjustments and learning what doesn't work for us. And keep pushing. :)

I appreciate your words, @LucentFrost. Flexibility and persistence is key in "leveling up."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

It got me thinking that my very favorite fantasy character of all time, my childhood hero, ended up royally screwed in five out of every six episodes! I'd faithfully tune in the next week because I knew somehow, someway The Doctor would overcome the obstacle and keep going. I got up the next morning and completed the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit.

Love this attitude!  THIS is what keeps us moving - make a mistake?  Get up the next day and do it different.

Also, been really wanting to tell you that I have a cat named Gallifrey and the new kitten we got a week ago is Stormageddon (Dark Lord of All)

• Like 1

The lunch packing thing is the bane of my existence... Well maybe not that extreme but you get the idea.  Logging all the food you intake on my fitness pal really helps you see what you are taking in.  I have done it before and kinda made me sick at the end of a couple of days because I ate so much junk.  The adjustments that we need to make in our every day lives to free up a coupe of hours to work out are ineradicable.  

On the fruit note, I don't think eating an apple and a hand full of grapes or something is going to be bad for you so long as its not the main source of food in your lunch.  It also depends on your profession.  If you sit at a desk then going light on the fruit is probably a good idea but if you are physically active all day it isn't so bad in my opinion. 

Good luck! We have 3 weeks left to make our challenge!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Maybe throw in a couple of boiled eggs with the fruit for lunch? It would give you a little extra protein and still be pretty portable.

Good idea. Thanks @Bookish Badger!

3 hours ago, Matrim_Cauthon said:

The lunch packing thing is the bane of my existence... Well maybe not that extreme but you get the idea.  Logging all the food you intake on my fitness pal really helps you see what you are taking in.  I have done it before and kinda made me sick at the end of a couple of days because I ate so much junk.  The adjustments that we need to make in our every day lives to free up a coupe of hours to work out are ineradicable.

Agreed, @Matrim_Cauthon!

• Like 1