The Rebel Timelord dusts himself off

On 6/27/2016 at 10:19 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Thanks for this, @thegingerdances! A senior citizen who I consider a mentor often uses the expression "playing a bad hand well." As long as we don't fold we're still in the game, right? We may surprise ourselves!

Timelord, that's surprisingly eloquent!  Your mentor said in less than two sentences what took me a paragraph :D  Keep at it!

• Like 2

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Another week gone by and time for an update. The Beginner Bodyweight Workout, Food Logging, and Daily Veggies goals continue to be met. I manage packing and/or preplanning lunches about 3 out of 5 days. I continue to struggle with walking to work.

A big learning experience this week came as I did outreach this weekend at the Great Blue Heron Music Festival. My booth was set up in amongst other vendors, so picture being surrounded by (TRIGGER WARNING) ice cream, funnel cakes, philly cheesesteaks, etc. for three days. I decided to go to the grocery store and pick up some food so I wouldn't make unwise choices. The problem was I didn't really know what to buy. In the end I grabbed some unsalted nuts, granola bars, and some turkey sticks. The first day of the festival found me over my recommended calorie limit and still hungry as my choices didn't satisfy. (I logged it all though!) The second day I just bought vendor food for two meals and stayed well within my calorie limits. Still not great, but much better than it could have been.

This has got me thinking about my next challenge and where I go from here. One thing is I can build on my success with counting calories. I need to be more deliberate about what kind of food I'm eating. I'm on the go a couple of days a week, and my office doesn't have a microwave. I need a better plan.

The other thing is my walking to work goal. It was a good intention, but it doesn't seem to be working out. I do better walking on the weekends. I think I'm going to purchase a pedometer and just set some distance goals and not be so specific about how I get the steps in.

Can't believe the "official" challenge ends in only a few days. I hope you all are learning and growing, too!

• Like 7

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Definitely learning and growing here too. Sounds like you are doing a great job of it.

5 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I think I'm going to purchase a pedometer and just set some distance goals and not be so specific about how I get the steps in.

I got a Fitbit last year (Charge) and I really like that, especially since I still used a wrist watch. Now I'm thinking I should eventually get a small one so I can use nice looking wrist watches.

big learning experience

Sounds like you did a good job on this. All we can do is try, then assess and change if it didn't work quite like we wanted.

I always enjoy reading your updates.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

The other thing is my walking to work goal. It was a good intention, but it doesn't seem to be working out. I do better walking on the weekends. I think I'm going to purchase a pedometer and just set some distance goals and not be so specific about how I get the steps in.

I have gotten a Loop from Polar for X-mas and boy it can be depressing when you not even reach 5.000 steps a day, forget about 10.000. Just make sure you try the pedometer, I had one for a work-challenge that was so wonky that it counted steps when I moved my feet under the desk.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dagger said:

I got a Fitbit last year (Charge) and I really like that, especially since I still used a wrist watch. Now I'm thinking I should eventually get a small one so I can use nice looking wrist watches.

I'll think about something small, because I still wear a wristwatch too.

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Keep going strong RT!  I recently bought a regular pedometer for exercise when I'm walking or jogging.  It works pretty well, stays on my pants/shorts and it was a lot more financially friendly than a fitbit.  My next challenge is also gong to incorporate some kind of nutrition/quality of calories goal.  I hate when I'm constantly hungry but I'm over the recommended calories.  I'm trying to understand all this macro/paleo/carbs-will-murder-you-in-you-sleep-/never-drink-a-calorie-again/ stuffs so I can write good but achievable goals.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fluffy said:

My next challenge is also gong to incorporate some kind of nutrition/quality of calories goal.  I hate when I'm constantly hungry but I'm over the recommended calories.  I'm trying to understand all this macro/paleo/carbs-will-murder-you-in-you-sleep-/never-drink-a-calorie-again/ stuffs so I can write good but achievable goals.

You and me both. I'm satisfied that I took the step of keeping a food log for this challenge. Keeping a record makes me mindful and it results in me sticking to my calorie limit most days. My scale is evidence of that. But obviously, a calorie of boneless skinless chicken breast and a calorie of pizza are going to have very different impacts on my health. I see it's going to be a bigger challenge because I'm going to have to be more intentional about the groceries I buy and planning meals. But it sounds like the NF community is the right place to learn this.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2016 at 7:14 AM, Fluffy said:

I hate when I'm constantly hungry but I'm over the recommended calories.  I'm trying to understand all this macro/paleo/carbs-will-murder-you-in-you-sleep-/never-drink-a-calorie-again/ stuffs so I can write good but achievable goals.

This is my central concern too! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

On 7/4/2016 at 9:14 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

But it sounds like the NF community is the right place to learn this.

I have been so impressed with this community! So much support and help to be found here. 

• Like 3

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

7 hours ago, durfette said:

I've been looking into getting one too! What kind are you looking at? Any idea yet?

I spoke with several salespeople yesterday and it appears that it comes down between Fitbit and UP brands. This pretty much confirms what I've heard from friends, too. I'm interested in one that record steps, activity levels, and sleep. Both brands have models that do that. I'm wondering how the apps for each brand compare?

Please chime in if you have experience with a fitness tracker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Please chime in if you have experience with a fitness tracker.

I do use a Fitbit Charge. But I'll also admit I haven't done much with the app, beyond syncing and checking my steps and such. I'm planing to try logging a workout as it happens for the first time today, it will also be the first time I add a workout myself instead of just relaying on the automatic checking. (Hmm, I should check if it can figure out yoga by itself...)

So I'm not sure how much I can add. But if you have any questions, I'll answer them if I can. :)

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Hmm step trackers. I'll be interested to see which one you get and how it works. I've been looking into those as well, but I find I'm so confused I have no opinions.

On 7/4/2016 at 10:14 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

You and me both. I'm satisfied that I took the step of keeping a food log for this challenge. Keeping a record makes me mindful and it results in me sticking to my calorie limit most days. My scale is evidence of that. But obviously, a calorie of boneless skinless chicken breast and a calorie of pizza are going to have very different impacts on my health. I see it's going to be a bigger challenge because I'm going to have to be more intentional about the groceries I buy and planning meals. But it sounds like the NF community is the right place to learn this.

I have a background in biology, especially in micro and cell. I feel like I haven't been pulling my weight insofar as researching paleo/the-evil-carb/caloric-intake/such-and-so-forth. I just... it's been hard to find primary resources. A quick jstor search leaves me with more about isotopes and archeology than food science. Eh.

You seem to be doing SUPER well, though! Keep going. Fight that adipose!

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

2 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I have a background in biology, especially in micro and cell. I feel like I haven't been pulling my weight insofar as researching paleo/the-evil-carb/caloric-intake/such-and-so-forth. I just... it's been hard to find primary resources. A quick jstor search leaves me with more about isotopes and archeology than food science. Eh.

You seem to be doing SUPER well, though! Keep going. Fight that adipose!

I picked up a Paleo cookbook and my wife and I are going to give it a try. Some of the research is over my head, but then again cutting out carbs and processed food makes enough sense that it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the encouragement. This really is a special community and it has helped me so much. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Fight that adipose!

tumblr_n0y8n3dq9s1safhgeo4_400.gif

I've struggled with losing pounds for so long it isn't fun anymore. So I decided tonight that I'm going to fight Adipose instead. I looked at a Doctor Who website that stated Adipose weigh 2.2 lbs. So I made a formula in my Google spreadsheet to automatically convert pounds to Adipose.

So here's where I'm at. So far during this challenge I've sent 3 Adipose back to their home planet. I'm sticking with the Nerd Fitness community to rid myself of the remaining 38 Adipose inhabiting my body.

You know what @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus? I will fight that Adipose!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Thanks for the comment. I looked on my iPhone and discovered that the Health app has been counting my steps all along. Wibbly Wobbly Steppy Wheppy.

Are you saying your phone is.... BIGGER ON THE INSIDE???

Nope? No?

I'll see myself out.

• Like 4

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

58 minutes ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

tumblr_n0y8n3dq9s1safhgeo4_400.gif

I've struggled with losing pounds for so long it isn't fun anymore. So I decided tonight that I'm going to fight Adipose instead. I looked at a Doctor Who website that stated Adipose weigh 2.2 lbs. So I made a formula in my Google spreadsheet to automatically convert pounds to Adipose.

So here's where I'm at. So far during this challenge I've sent 3 Adipose back to their home planet. I'm sticking with the Nerd Fitness community to rid myself of the remaining 38 Adipose inhabiting my body.

You know what @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus? I will fight that Adipose!

Love this! That is so awesome!

sounds like your making a lot of life changing realizations. 

I have a fitbit charge but I don't use the app, just sync it with my computer and look over every few days. I like it because it makes me realize how many steps I haven't taken and made me realize how restless I am. 

I'm looking forward to read your future results! 

• Like 3

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

So funny, glad you provided a picture, too, as Dr. Who is not shown on the German TV usually I am not very knowledgeable about his world.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Fight the valiant fight! We'll stay right behind you to offer advice and cheering. :D

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I looked on my iPhone and discovered that the Health app has been counting my steps all along

-eyes my own iPhone suspiciously- I did not know they could do this either. And it kind of freaks me out. 

15 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I picked up a Paleo cookbook

What is is called? You'll have to keep us updated how you like using it. :)

12 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

I love this soooo much! And man, this community is the best. Always uplifting, always nerdy, always laughing. Adipose are adorable, and I would much rather refer to my fat as adipose too! 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I