In Which Sarah Barr Treads Very Carefully (Challenge 19)

1 minute ago, Sarah Barr said:

*Story time: When I was a little human female growing up in the Hebrides, sometimes we'd get told when dead whales washed up on the beach, so our primary school (elementary school) could grab clipboards and measuring tape and generally be gross and do gross things and draw gross drawings around a deceased cetacean. Sometimes they'd be fairly fresh, other times, er, not so. Once, we went to see a whale washed up near the RSPB (Royal Society for something about the Protection of Birds) reserve. A buzzard or some other bird of prey frequented that reserve, and took great advantage of the absurdly large rabbit population on the island. Since there were so many, the bird'd just eat the nicest bit and leave most of the rest of the rabbit lying about in the summer sun. So prolific a hunter was this bird that in places there was a carpet of most-of-rabbits, and the area got called the Rabbit Heaven Dunes (like in the Katie Morag books). This whale honked so atrociously in the June sun that we sought nasal sanctuary in the rabbit heaven dunes. 

This sounds like an origin story for a Batman villain.

1 minute ago, Sarah Barr said:

If this link works, then yes! If not, then also yes, but later in the week when I have a chance to take one myself!

13473983_1223313334353189_289199390_n.jp

I'm sure she's mostly German shepherd. 

She has two different coloured eyes! If she is six months old, there is nothing you can do to convince me she is not the reincarnation of Bowie. 

And I bloody love that MGMT song.

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

3 minutes ago, deftona said:

She has two different coloured eyes! If she is six months old, there is nothing you can do to convince me she is not the reincarnation of Bowie. 

And I bloody love that MGMT song.

Haha, EVERYONE wanted him to call her Bowie. Well, I did, and I am quite large so I like to think I average out. He didn't want to use a "people-name", though, so she's called Cairna instead. 

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I'm loving the sea creature updates! Its made my morning catching up much more fun!

Also... Awwwwww what a cute pooch!

• Like 1

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Update:

Still honky dory! I have accidentally run out of money (oddly not because I spent it all on dog toys, I only spent a little on that) so I'm finding the freggies tricky until I get a chance to restock this weekend. 

Creature Feature: The Salmon Shark (Lamna ditropis)

tumblr_m8rbv740pI1qicboxo1_500.gif

The Salmon shark is a resident of the northern Pacific, although it has been spotted as far south as Mexico on occasion, and is considered by some (well, me) to be the quintessential West Canadian and Alaskan shark. It feeds on, as its name suggests, bananas salmon, and they can be found migrating shiftily behind shoals of salmon like sockeyes and pinks. They also eat various other kinds of bony fish (including mackerel, which I am now craving with a burning passion), other sharks (little ones, such as the spiny dogfish), squid, and shrimp. It is considered generally harmless to humans who don't stick a hand in its mouth or poke it with a big stick.

Its usual size is about six feet long, about the size of a people (my sources all conflict here. Could be five foot, could be 10 foot, I'm sticking with somewhere around Sandor Clegane), and like a people, has a roughly 9 month gestation period. Said gestation is also interesting in that Salmon sharks are ovoviviparous - also known as aplacental viviparity. In non-headache language, that means the mother shark produces eggs, but they remain in her body until they're ready to hatch, and then she gives birth to the live pups. This is a fantastic way around the problem of finding safe places for eggs to develop, and allows the shark to provide some form of early parental care without having to do much other than be pregnant.

The salmon shark is interesting to me because it is essentially a puppy-dog eyed, freckle-bellied, miniature great white with a penchant for fish over seals. Like the great white, it is odd among fishes because it's endothermic - capable of producing its own body heat. This has proved useful for such sharks, which have to put on huge bursts of speed to catch nimble prey, and would suck at this if they were cold and sluggish.

If you want to see more of the salmon shark, keep an eye out for "Alaskan Killer Shark" on either Discovery or Nat Geo (can't remember which) during Shark Week and Shark Fest next week, because despite the tabloid title, it does have some great footage. I think it's probably on Youtube as well. 

Our British equivalent is the Porbeagle, a close relative, who is also adorable. 
Porbeagle%20Shark%20030.jpg
Look at that face. 

Song stuck in my head today:

(Well, that and Stairway to Heaven, because of that court case.)

• Like 5

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

28 minutes ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

readImage?iid=32051236

Phark.

YES

This is a good planet.

To-Do List

50 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I kinda want a Porbeagle for a pet, now.

Step 1: Obtain regular beagle

Step 2: Hollow out a large fish

Step 3: 

• Like 2

To-Do List

Hallo everyone!

It goes well - I've managed to make it to the end of the month and the challenge without having another B/P slip up. So that was... just that one, I think?

Not been online much because of holiday - which I've mostly spent knitting legwarmers and watching Shark Week so far. It's been good. 

I need to do some more exercise, though - I've been going on occasional walks with the dog when I'm at boyfriend's but that's about it, and I miss the gym. 

Scoring:

- Happy to level up

- Passed my main goal

- Freggies and exercise just went out the window, though, nil points for those. But that's okay this challenge. 

Next challenge - I feel confident that I could maintain my diet goal streak with some slightly more rigid intake targets. Now that I've broken that habit, and have proven to myself that I can ride out the guilt/panic feelings if I go over, I want to go back to the 1600kcal/day target. This time I'm happy to give myself 200kcal of leeway, though. 

• Like 3

To-Do List

11 minutes ago, Kucki68 said:

Ermh, hate to be a spoil sport, but the forum challenge runs until the 7th of July.

Kudos on all you have achieved!

Aaaah

Good save, that Nerd. Got used to it ending at the end of the calendar month and then it was different again. 

Will still level up my diet goal from Monday, though, to test the water before I start counting it towards stat points. 

• Like 2

To-Do List

No change, all systems stable, although I'm managing to up the freggie count! Partly updating so you know I am still here and plodding away, mostly updating so I can share this music video.

• Like 2

To-Do List

Feeling like I've perked up a bit at last, I think I might even be able to Doodle along with everyone else next challenge instead of treading water in my corner.

First here is today's song:

I know. I am sorry. The film was inflicted upon me and I can't get the song out of my head. The chorus is Good. 

Second: I got five honest portions of fregetables today. Haven't had that in a while. 

Got Sir Gawain and the Green Knight finished into a deliberately groan-inducing 15 minute script and sent off to the person who requested it. Now I have no deadlines. I've been painting a lot, and it's mostly Bob Ross's fault, and the painting and writing have been good at keeping cravings and unpleasant feelings at bay. 

Exercise - did three hours hiking about Holyrood park on Sunday. Tendon can't take that much, as it discovered, but I'm packing my gym kit for tomorrow right now in case I have a free evening. Even if I just get a little bit of time in, it's the showing up that counts. The good news is my hiatus has been so long that my knee should be recovered, and so it should handle bodyweight squats fine. 

You have been deprived of fishy business long enough, so I have a carnival of colours for you today, all owners of which may be found here in Britain.

LOOK AT THIS FISH.
banner-cuckoowrassekh.jpg

It is called a cuckoo wrasse (Labrus mixtus), and this photo was taken near Plymouth! Plymouth! In the sea! Where the English Channel is! They can be found as far north as Norway, and along almost the whole west coasts of Great Britain and Ireland. They're quite substantial too, growing around a foot long. 

LOOK AT THIS ANEMONE.

o_anevir7.jpg

This is a snakelocks anemone (Anemonia viridis), and it has a similar distribution in Britain to the cuckoo wrasse, although you're probably really only going to find it in the south west of England. It is that green. It is that purple. It is that cyberpunk. 

LOOK AT THIS FANTASTIC GASTROPOD.

Mollusc-Tricolia%20pullus23-02-09.jpg

This is a pheasant shell (Tricolia pullus). They can be found on the west coasts of England, Wales, and bits of Ireland, and grazes on red seaweeds. They're very small, just shy of one centimetre long at the biggest, and there's nothing quite like them among the other whelks, periwinkles and the like in the British marine fauna. 

Lastly, for some plant-based love, LOOK AT THIS SEAWEED.

o_draspe2.jpg

This is Rainbow Weed (Drachiella spectabilis), and it's mostly in southwest England along with the rest of our really cool marine life, but it has been recorded along most of the Irish west coast and in the outer Hebrides. It's technically a red seaweed, and the beautiful blues and greens and violets are iridescence. Rather wonderfully, it only looks this beautiful under the water, which can only encourage people to leave it there in peace. I didn't even know this existed until right now, when I was flicking through an ID book. (RSPB Handbook of the Seashore, by Maya Plass, and it's a great read, by the way.)

In the places where these four species have overlapping ranges, there must be some magical rock pools. 

• Like 5

To-Do List

Was too tired for gym yesterday. This is why I need to go in the mornings. Boyfriend graduated uni, sad I couldn't go to the reception to celebrate with him since I was still at work, but I'm planning to make it up to him somehow.

Wisdom tooth flare-up kept me awake all night, but dentist gave me an appointment at 10:30am so I got it seen to. Wish they'd just pull it, though.

So I've had mostly caffeine today, but I'm still that kind of tired that's easily confused with drunk. I am in the mooooood for making Art, the capital A kind that is mostly drinking. I am at work, though, so I will settle for trawling through open source shark science articles and feeling bitter about my honours dissertation, as is my graduation season tradition*. Speaking of which:

MARINE THING

The Blue Shark (Prionace glauca):

tumblr_o9g98iwb4e1qm9k25o1_500.gif

(See? Told you.)

It's blue, it's a shark, and from some angles it reminds me of that one in Trainspotting called Spud or something. Open water species, has an odd migration route where it sort of loops round in clockwise circles in the Atlantic, probably following fish it preys upon. Also eats squid, seals, and scavenges on whale carcasses like most things in the sea will. Lovely torpedo shape, with the wonderfully long elegant pectoral fins you see on other pelagic sharks like the oceanic whitetip. The kind of shark Charles Rennie Mackintosh might draw if he wasn't DEAD. 

078_p_is_000001938406_p.jpg

"Litters of 4-135 pups have been recorded", says the relevant Shark Trust factsheet, which made me wince. The Shark Trust is currently campaigning quite fiercely to get European catch limits brought in for the blue shark among others, since it is being completely hammered by the finning trade and as bycatch. You can read about that campaign here if you're interested in further reading or donating things. 

Song that isn't technically stuck in my head today:

(I still haven't shaken that flaming David Hasselhoff song.)

*Long story short: Supervisor said my plan looked great, then ignored me for a year, then I got the marked paper back with "52%" and no other comment, when everyone else got at least a page of feedback. I still don't know what I did so fundamentally wrong. I got nearly straight As for the rest of my courses that year, but because of my dissertation I missed the entry requirements for all the funded masters programs I wanted to do. If he just gave me a little guidance I could be doing a PhD right now. I am more bitter than a set of lemon dentures. 

• Like 1

To-Do List

That mouthwash my dentist told me to use has taken away my power of taste.

This is

Good?

Maybe?

I see this ending one of two ways: a reduction in boredom eating or I'm just going to start swigging hot sauce from the bottle. 

• Like 1

To-Do List

Just now, Sarah Barr said:

That mouthwash my dentist told me to use has taken away my power of taste.

This is

Good?

Maybe?

I see this ending one of two ways: a reduction in boredom eating or I'm just going to start swigging hot sauce from the bottle. 

I think I know just the mouthwash. 

Is your skin peeling on the inside of your mouth too? Maybe your tastebuds are swollen to the size of nipples. 

*sings a jingle* 'That's Corsodyl!' 

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Haha, that's the one - though I've escaped the peeling so far...

• Like 1

To-Do List

Update!

Very ready for next challenge to start. 

Food: Weekend was okay, but there was pizza that I regret. I want to bring food with me next time I stay over at Boyfriend's so there's something that isn't takeaway on offer. 

Exercise: Went for a walk with dog when I was over, was nice - I found a new source of pine cones, though, so my flatmates are feeling an impending sense of doom. (I already have two big decorative bowls full of pine cones.)  I'm looking forward to my exercise plan next challenge, since it'll involve trying lots of new things without the unpleasant feeling of commitment. 

Creative things: Working on several tiny (A5 size) paintings at the moment. The small size is helping me focus on tiny details, so I think my next larger painting will be much more interesting. 

Misc: I need to cut out caffeine this coming challenge; I'm on at least two energy drinks a day plus several cups of tea and coffee, and I'm exhausted all the time. I have... about 50ml of tea left from this morning's Starbucks run, so the caffeine hard reset begins...

*gurgle*

....now. 

I'm fine. 

This is easy.

Yes.

vEW22yr.gif

I'm prepared to feel like crap for the next week. The prices went up in Starbucks and the bring-your-own-cup discount halved too, so my wallet will be happy at least. It's unlikely that I'll stay off caffeine for good, that's not really the plan; but it means that by August or so I'll be able to get by with a mug of tea as a pick me up instead of enough Blue Bolt to jump start a deceased elephant. Maybe I'll be able to stay off energy drinks for good, though. 

Now to fine tune my challenge plan.

Sea Creature: The Manta ray (Genus: Manta. Various species.)

wf5iUjv.gif

I love manta rays - they're curious about the world around them, social, and wonderfully graceful. They're gigantic, beautiful plankton feeders, and I've not had enough caffeine to warrant my usual trawling through articles but I'd like to link you to this New Scientist article about self-awareness in manta rays. They link to the abstract of the original journal article, too, which is good. This was also a good talk:

Song stuck in my head today:

• Like 2

To-Do List

Good luck with the caffeine detox! 

Your next challenge sounds like a lot of fun :)

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

10 hours ago, Sarah Barr said:

I'm looking forward to my exercise plan next challenge, since it'll involve trying lots of new things without the unpleasant feeling of commitment. 

This sounds exciting.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

• Like 3

To-Do List