• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan and the Gothic Squats

If this challenge were a band name it would be Taddea Zhaan and the Gothic Squats.

This challenge is going to be a back to the basics and I'm going to keep it simple. My current program has body weight and goblet squats every workout day as well as heavy back squats. I will also be MIA a bit. So I'm keeping this simple and do-able. There is no zero week for this one, since it's basic. 

original.jpg

Goal 1: Do the program 4x week. Don't skimp on the squats. 

My legs are going to continue to be sore for a few weeks as my body adjusts. Don't skip the excessive squats. Do the squats. I'm going to get a baseline 5x5 squat weight today to compare to the end of the challenge. Program is from my trainer built for my weaknesses - core strength and squat mobility. When I'm camping, still make sure I'm at least doing body weight squats 4x week, if I have to, use some milk jugs or whatever is around for goblet squats. 

Goal 2: Track all the food. ALL THE FOOD.

Secondary goal is to lose a few pounds. But that's not a goal. I'm not even making a calorie goal. The goal is just to track everything. While I'm camping, try to write it down on paper, but don't beat myself up if I miss something. It's vacation!

LUYL Goal: Post funny scribal art from medieval manuscripts. See above. 

• Like 10

OOH YAY! Challenge twins!!! I'm going simple this month too :P Here for all the goodness and evil medieval bunnies! (Which, oddly enough, I only recently became aware of. Odd little fellows there are... :abnormal:)

img]Vdb9vjZ.gif

3 hours ago, Grymm said:

That face you make when your drunk friend says "Let me climb on your back.  I want to joust."

Oh_No.jpg

3 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Following for tracking and all the other fantastical stuffs!

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OOH YAY! Challenge twins!!! I'm going simple this month too :P Here for all the goodness and evil medieval bunnies! (Which, oddly enough, I only recently became aware of. Odd little fellows there are... :abnormal:)

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Gothic?

/me walks in holding a goblet filled with dark red wine!

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

Ohh sounds like fun.

I'll just be over here sitting by the fire. Probably with this guy.

medieval_food_19.original.jpg

1 hour ago, wildross said:

Goblet squats...we likes them.

The more goblets of wine and squats the merrier! Although I'm definitely looking forward to regular ol' back squats after work today. My legs were killing me yesterday when I was trying to fall asleep. Tonight's workout is the most normal of the 4-day plan, there will also be benching, deadlifts, and accessories. More variety of lifts with fewer sets. Gonna kill it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I am totes looking forward to more scribal art!  Plus more amazing progress!  Plus your overall awesomeness.  

Luttrell_Psalter_balloon.png

I appear to have strained or sprained the knuckle on my left pointer finger, doing god knows what. Probably something like the above. But then I aggravated it at the gym last night and now my hand and forearm feel tight. Going to try to wrap it when I get home from work today.

Tuesday, June 7th Workout

I thought my SO was just going to spot me on bench and then go do cardio, but he surprised me and so for the first time he lifted weights with me! So I didn't keep track of what I was doing very much. And he even asked me to help him set up and demonstrate deadlifts because he used to only do RDLs. We did bench press and deadlift together. Then I did DB rows and goblet squats while he did curls and lat pull down. 

I didn't finish my workout because we left after an hour. I am going to go back tonight but I'm not going to finish anything that involves grip because of my hand. The plan is just to warm up and then do squats and call it a day. I really wanna get that baseline 5x5 weight for the start of the summer and see how all these body weight and goblet squats help improve my back squat over time. 

P.S. some scribal art is NSFW and some is just borderline like this. 

80a012a83e7899a88c71b67409d0957f.jpg 

• Like 5

oh haaaaiiii! love the simple squat and track food goals. i should bring a notebook with me while i'm on vaca too just in case there's no service for MFP. you is smart.

• Like 1

Ooh! SO worked out with you! That is so cool! I'd love for that to happen. I don't blame you a bit at being so stunned that you couldn't record anything. :D

Also, is that a bird with boobies? What were those scribes smokin'?

12 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Ooh! SO worked out with you! That is so cool! I'd love for that to happen. I don't blame you a bit at being so stunned that you couldn't record anything. :D

I did not think boobies...

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Oh. Yes. I see... well, probably what you see. It was the placement that made me think... Ahem. The question still remains, what were those scribes imbibing in?

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh haaaaiiii! love the simple squat and track food goals. i should bring a notebook with me while i'm on vaca too just in case there's no service for MFP. you is smart.

Agreed, tis a good idea! I figure I've been tracking for 10-12 years, I can reasonably guess the amount of calories, just so that I don't go too crazy. I mean, it is vacation after all. 

10 hours ago, Alaysia said:

10 hours ago, Grymm said:

9 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Oh. Yes. I see... well, probably what you see. It was the placement that made me think... Ahem. The question still remains, what were those scribes imbibing in?

9 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Sculling their own bad wine and/or partaking in questionable mushrooms? :P

From what I have been told, most medieval scribes were monks (could read/write and learned to scribe). The artsy paintings next to the text is referred to as illumination. So being indoors all day with their ink and paper, they got a bit bored and um, shall we say creative? ;) I wouldn't be surprised if there was wine too. But admittedly medieval illumination is not my area of expertise. 

• Like 1

I had my third personal training session this morning

We did the warm up circuits (squat rotational press with med ball, cable flies, bike, DB bench), then we did supersets (supercircuits?) of bench, squat, row, RDL. I'm pretty sure I'm dead and this is the ghost of Taddea past speaking to you. I mean I wasn't about to fall over, but like 30 - 60 seconds of rest between sets got me like woah. 

For the bench we did what he called forced reps, where he has me do more than I could but then added assistance where needed. 4 sets of decreasing weight. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but my arms definitely feel like jello. So it couldn't be all bad? 

If you recall, last week i felt like we were doing quarter squats. This week he definitely had me squatting a bit lower. I would say to just above parallel. So maybe this is a trend towards working on hitting depth? He was telling me when to come up while spotting me and I could tell with each set and each rep it was at a lower height. But why not just say that is the plan? 

I never did RDLs before starting personal training. They are weird to me after only doing deadlifts for 6 months. But I think I'll get used to the movement over time. To clarify, two days a week my program has conventional deadlifts, and one day per week is RDL. 

I'm going to do two days of the program Saturday/Sunday and I can't decide if I want to do the lighter day on Saturday and then go heavy on Sunday, or vice versa. I'm leaning towards heavy Saturday and light Sunday.

194xr10alc41jjpg.jpg

Tracking update

I've been tracking but didn't track dinner yesterday. I'm going to add it to MFP now. I did mentally acknowledge my dinner calories but I was feeling so exhausted, maybe depressed from stress? That all I wanted to do after dinner was lay around and watch the SO sort clothes for the medieval camping trip. I'm gonna post this post and then track dinner and the breakfast I just ate. If I can lift my arms up high enough to hold my cell phone.

I know the tracking is helping because the bloat from two weeks ago is going down. I went from 180.4 to 186.6 in a week. I'm back down to 183.0 and that is with weighing myself 1-2 hours earlier than usual this morning. I'd like to get back to my lowest weight of 175 by the end of the year, but if it never goes above 185 I could life with it, cuz gains.

I really need to track and not eat like an asshole! So that eventually I can start counting macros again. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

If you recall, last week i felt like we were doing quarter squats. This week he definitely had me squatting a bit lower. I would say to just above parallel. So maybe this is a trend towards working on hitting depth? He was telling me when to come up while spotting me and I could tell with each set and each rep it was at a lower height. But why not just say that is the plan? 

I know the tracking is helping because the bloat from two weeks ago is going down.

I've been thinking about that too, the idea that there's a method to the progression (of course I'm thinking about my weird encounters at the beginning with Frank..) and why oh why, don't you just say you're working towards something? The only thing I came up with is the idea of not wanting to overwhelm/distract with details on training methods. Like, he wants you to be focusing on form/technique etc, and not be spending brain cells on programming ideas - that is what he's there for afterall!

Meanwhile, great to hear about the debloat! that's always nice and I wish it happened over night lol :P 

• Like 1

Trying to focus at work and all I can think about is lifting and I already had my session this morning... 

46a861a5822cece42d2e0767cde5c1ee.jpg

• Like 6

Tracked yesterday. Total was wildly estimated to be 2,010 calories. Maintenance is roughly 2000, but again, the goal this challenge is just to track period. If I hit maintenance calories more often than not, that is a bonus. 

I'm going to try to copy in MFP diary  on my days but it copies weird and I don't feel like uploading images, so I'll put it in a spoiler. Some days my food choices are honestly embarrassing...as a warning. But yesterday wasn't too bad. 

Your Food Diary For: 
Thursday, June 9, 2016 

Breakfast    Calories    Carbs    Fat    Protein    Fiber    Sugar
Kroger - Mozzarella String Cheese, 1 Piece    80    1    5    7    0    1    
Kroger - Greek Nonfat Yogurt Vanilla, 150 g    90    9    0    14    0    8    
Barry's Bagels - Everything Bagel, 1 Bagel    280    56    2    11    2    2    
Kraft - Philadelphia - Cream Cheese, 2.67 T    67    3    4    5    0    1    
Add Food Quick Tools    517    69    10    37    2    12    

Lunch
Rice - Brown., 0.75 CUP    173    33    3    4    3    0    
Blueberries, 1.25 cup    106    26    1    1    5    19    
Salad Greens - Spring Mix, 4 cups    40    8    0    2    2    2    
Private Selection - White Balsamic & Honey Dressing & Marinade , 2 Tbsp    130    4    13    0    0    3    
Thai Green Chicken, 3/4 serving    255    9    13    28    3    3    
Add Food Quick Tools    704    80    30    35    12    26    

Dinner
Kroger Value - Enriched Spaghetti, 2 oz    200    42    1    7    2    2    
P$$t Pasta Sauce - Garlic & Herb, 0.25 container (2 1/2 cups ea.)    44    10    1    3    4    5    
Kroger - Frozen Turkey Meatballs, 6 meatballs    160    6    9    14    0    1    
Generic - Broccoli- Steamed, 156 grams    50    10    0    4    4    2    
Kroger - Mozzarella, Finely Shredded- C, 0.25 cup    80    1    5    8    0    0    
Add Food Quick Tools    561    71    18    37    10    11    

Snacks
Cafe Yumm - Ginger Spice Cookie, 0.5 cookie    172    14    4    2    1    8    
Kroger - Jalapeno Jack Pretzel Thins, 14 g/9 pretzels    55    11    1    2    1    1    

Helluva Good - Greek Style Yogurt Dip (French Onion), 20.67 g (2 Tbsp)    27    2    2    1    0    1    

Add Food Quick Tools    227    24    5    3    1    9    

Totals    2,009    243    64    113    25    59    
Your Daily Goal    1,900    214    74    95    45    34    
Remaining    -109    -29    10    -17    20    -25    
Calories    Carbs    Fat    Protein    Fiber    Sugar    

I've been struggling with energy after work this week. There are a lot of things I need to do to get ready for camping but haven't felt up to much. I'm not sure if I need more sleep. I know I need to drink more water. I really need to start focusing on my recovery a bit better. I think after I finish the 6 weeks of personal training I'm going to go from 4 days to 3 days week lifting and have more time for general physical preparedness work. 

• Like 1

don't be embarrassed by your food! everyone eats different things and we're all figuring out what works best for our bodies, our wallets, and our available time. just getting the tracking thing down is a huge step :D

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

don't be embarrassed by your food! everyone eats different things and we're all figuring out what works best for our bodies, our wallets, and our available time. just getting the tracking thing down is a huge step :D

Thank you! :love_heart:

It's just frustrating because I was literally tracking for like 10+ years and just got lazy recently. I've lost 125# (as you know) and kept it off for a long time. And the longer I have maintained the lazier I have gotten. Because my metabolism has recovered and i can get away with eating more shitty, plus lifting has enabled me to eat more like whatever the hell I want.

But it would be really nice to get down to 170# which has been my long term goal. I'm not in any way in a hurry to get there. I just don't want to go in the opposite direction!!! Top weight was 305# in 2003 (13 years ago, so this has been a long slow process), current is 180# plus or minus. Lowest was 170-175. I'm only 32 yrs old, so the goal is to maintain forever, thus not being in hurry. :) 

(But the lowest at 170# was when my SO had open heart surgery this past August and I was living out of the hospital cafeteria and not sleeping, so I'm not sure that counts... True lowest is like 175.)

• Like 3

It will all come together again! 4 days a week in the gym is awesome, your body is going to need fuel. Just remember you are running a Ferrari not a clunker? Regular vs Premium! You got this!

• Like 2