• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan and the Gothic Squats

I love the dress. I only wish I could see the whole thing. Medieval clothing looks so much easier to make than fussy Renaissance. 

I also was wondering what you were knitting. I enjoy knitting but I'm really awful at it. But I enjoy it! So I've had projects like that in which there is no real end game, the process is where it is all at. And congrats on the weight loss, no matter what the reason... well except for appendage loss. That is not a good reason less numbers on the scale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alaysia said:

I love the dress. I only wish I could see the whole thing. Medieval clothing looks so much easier to make than fussy Renaissance. 

I also was wondering what you were knitting. I enjoy knitting but I'm really awful at it. But I enjoy it! So I've had projects like that in which there is no real end game, the process is where it is all at. And congrats on the weight loss, no matter what the reason... well except for appendage loss. That is not a good reason less numbers on the scale.

I'll have to see if I can get someone to take a picture whichever day I wear it when I'm at the camping event. I don't seem to end up in a lot of event pictures because I'm not a fighter, nor am I royalty. Nor do I wish to be royalty. :onthego:

The ease of making it is part of why I went with that time period. I've been using the same pattern the whole time and making small tweeks as my body changes or I find things I don't like about it. Front, back, gores, sleeves, no fuss no muss. When it gets hard is like on the red one, for the front lacing, I sewed all the eyelets by hand.

Also, I started sewing before I had a machine, so the first two things I made entirely by hand so I learned very slowly. I would like to start making fancier things over time, but I am just so lazy about sewing and I'd much rather be lifting! I found a woman on Etsy who sells simple dresses for almost cheaper than I can make them so some of the incentive is gone too. Haha. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'll have to see if I can get someone to take a picture whichever day I wear it when I'm at the camping event. I don't seem to end up in a lot of event pictures because I'm not a fighter, nor am I royalty. Nor do I wish to be royalty. :onthego:

The ease of making it is part of why I went with that time period. I've been using the same pattern the whole time and making small tweeks as my body changes or I find things I don't like about it. Front, back, gores, sleeves, no fuss no muss. When it gets hard is like on the red one, for the front lacing, I sewed all the eyelets by hand.

Also, I started sewing before I had a machine, so the first two things I made entirely by hand so I learned very slowly. I would like to start making fancier things over time, but I am just so lazy about sewing and I'd much rather be lifting! I found a woman on Etsy who sells simple dresses for almost cheaper than I can make them so some of the incentive is gone too. Haha. 

I sometimes wish I was a faster hand sewer. The machine often frustrates me with its requirements for how things can only be put through it in a certain way. I don't have one of those fancy machines that are nearly Transformers that have their own souls. Which is good, because the way I curse my machine out, it would definitely have hurt feelings.

Amazing work!

2 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

I sometimes wish I was a faster hand sewer. The machine often frustrates me with its requirements for how things can only be put through it in a certain way. I don't have one of those fancy machines that are nearly Transformers that have their own souls. Which is good, because the way I curse my machine out, it would definitely have hurt feelings.

Amazing work!

Thanks!

My only trick is I do the hard stuff by hand, like inserting sleeves and finishing the neckline. I only use the machine for longer seems! I can't imagine trying to sew in a sleeve on a machine. I am just not that talented. Maybe one day?

• Like 1

I regret not learning how to crochet or whatever you do, Lace. My Nanna tried to show me but I was always too busy! Motor bikes to ride or trees to climb. So jealous of you Ladies and your lovely fine arts! :)

11 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

I regret not learning how to crochet or whatever you do, Lace. My Nanna tried to show me but I was always too busy! Motor bikes to ride or trees to climb. So jealous of you Ladies and your lovely fine arts! :)

If you met me in person you would definitely not describe me as a lady with fine arts. ;) The only reason I have lady like skills is because I spent most of my adult years as a hippie crunchie vegetarian and the people I lived with were into cooking, gardening, sewing etc as life survival skills rather than as "make nice things" skills. Which is kind of how I view sewing to this day, as a sort of survival skill. :topsy_turvy:

• Like 1

Went for a 50 minute hike/walk yesterday with the SO instead of lifting. It was what my body needed. I am developing random aches from needing more rest time. We ended up sticking more to the paved trails and off of more of the hiking trails because we forgot bug spray. But today it is back to the lifting grind. I'm hoping that my left hand is back up to the task of pulling because I want to do deadlifts! There will probably also be volume squats. 

Tracking is improving. I even weighed a lot of my food I packed today!

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
Kroger - Mozzarella String Cheese, 1 Piece 80 1 5 7 0 1  
Smuckers - Smuckers Sugar Free Raspberry Jam, 1 tbsp 10 5 0 0 3 0  
Kroger - Just Right Creamy Peanut Butter, 1.5 Tbsp (32g) 143 5 12 6 2 2  
Kroger - Greek Nonfat Yogurt Vanilla, 150 g 90 9 0 14 0 8  
Bread - Bread, Ezekiel 7 Grain, 1 slice 80 15 1 4 3 0  
Add Food  403 35 18 31 8 11  
Lunch
Kroger - Aged Sharp White Cheddar Cheese Slices, 1 slice 80 0 7 5 0 0  
Bread - Bread, Ezekiel 7 Grain, 2 slice 160 30 2 8 6 0  
Kroger - Deli Style Oven Roasted Chicken Breast Lunch Meat (Lean), 8.25 slices (56g) 110 1 6 12 0 1  
Blue To Go - Chef Salad, 1 Salad 180 10 8 17 0 4  
Cardini's - Orginal Caesar Dressing Pkg, 0.75 oz (43g) 115 1 13 1 0 0  
Weight Watchers - Chocolate Fudge Brownie Premium Ice Cream Cup, 1 Cup 100 22 1 3 3 14  
Add Food  745 64 36 46 9 19  
Dinner
Aunt Millie's Hearth - Whole Grain Hamburger Buns, 60 g 140 26 2 5 3 3  
Butterball Turkey Burger - Turkey Burger, 1 Burger 240 2 11 31 0 1  
Kroger - Fresh Frozen Green Peas 12oz., 1 cup 105 18 0 7 6 6  
Avocado - Small Whole Avacado, 36.5 grams 59 3 5 1 3 0  
Butter - Butter, 0.25 tablespoon 25 0 3 0 0 0  
Add Food  569 49 21 44 11 10  
Snacks
Kroger (Pretezel Haus) - Waffle Pretzels, 33.33 pretzels 200 40 2 5 2 2  
Nuts - Almonds, Raw (Net Carbs), 0.5 oz. (23 nuts) 80 3 7 3 2 1  
Add Food  280 43 9 8 3 2  

Totals 1,997 190 84 129 31 42  
Your Daily Goal 2,398 270 93 120 47 50

• Like 3

so many cool things happening in here over the past couple days! again, getting back on the tracking train is probably good enough for now :) don't worry too much about frozen pizzas or whatnot! especially when you're trying to use up stuff that would go to waste. i hate wasting food. it hurts me.

that dress is so pretty! AND that is a beautiful color for a scarf! i would wear that. great winter pop-of-color type deal.

hikes are an acceptable substitution for lifting :D especially if you're in an area that only experiences a few months of warm weather!

57 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

so many cool things happening in here over the past couple days! again, getting back on the tracking train is probably good enough for now :) don't worry too much about frozen pizzas or whatnot! especially when you're trying to use up stuff that would go to waste. i hate wasting food. it hurts me.

that dress is so pretty! AND that is a beautiful color for a scarf! i would wear that. great winter pop-of-color type deal.

hikes are an acceptable substitution for lifting :D especially if you're in an area that only experiences a few months of warm weather!

I could not agree more about food waste. I will freeze things that I'm probably not going to eat "just in case" there is a chance it might not go to waste. I especially hate wasting produce but that is the stuff that goes bad the fastest, so what are you gonna do? I can freeze vegetables but with lettuce it's like, I guess we are eating a giant ass salad today. (Poor phrasing, I know.)

Thank you for the complements! 

It's definitely only warm for short part of the year here, being Michigan and all. I'm actually going to pick a less intense intermediate program to start in July so I can have more freedom to use days to be outdoors doing things like hiking. I'm not sure my gym would smile upon me doing deadlifts in the parking lot. ;) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Liked for ass salad

Haha, thanks!

Also, out of curiosity I looked at powerlifting meets in my area and my brain already hurts. I'm glad I wouldn't even consider competing for a couple of years. Classic, raw, equipped, aapf, apf, wpc, single left, full power, etc. It's all very confusing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, out of curiosity I looked at powerlifting meets in my area and my brain already hurts. I'm glad I wouldn't even consider competing for a couple of years. Classic, raw, equipped, aapf, apf, wpc, single left, full power, etc. It's all very confusing. 

agreed. that's where i would see the benefit of a trusted coach to just tell me which one to sign up for. then as you do, you learn. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

agreed. that's where i would see the benefit of a trusted coach to just tell me which one to sign up for. then as you do, you learn. 

Making a note then to one day have a powerlifting coach... :) 

Tuesday's Workout, June 14

setsxreps

Warm-Up:
Streches 
Bike - 5 min
Squat + Rotational Cable Row - 3 sets of 20, 10 each side, 14#

DB Bench Press
2x10 - 50#
1x8 - 50#

1x7 - 50#

Back Squat
1x7, 45#

1x7, 50#

1x6, 55#

1x6, 60#

1x6, 45#

Deadlifts
4x5, 135#

Squat + Shoulder Press
3x10, 20#

Step-Up Lunge Press + Rotation

3 sets of 40, unweighted because fuck 

Deadlifts after squats... maybe never again. 

hero-snail-knight.png?w=1000&h=500&crop=

• Like 2

Oof! Yes that is a lot of leg work! No wonder there was nothing left in the tank to weight your lunge presses. Awesome job getting through it all though. Curious about the combination moves you're doing - squat+rotational cable row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Oof! Yes that is a lot of leg work! No wonder there was nothing left in the tank to weight your lunge presses. Awesome job getting through it all though. Curious about the combination moves you're doing - squat+rotational cable row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because my trainer hates me. Anything that is not a back squat, deadlift, or bench press is turned into some kind of combination movement targeted at improving my ankle and hip mobility and whenever possible target obliques - while still working on accessory strength. Hence squats in the challenge title. 

Even my cable flies are done in a lunged stance. Looking at the program RDLs are normal though. I just realized that what we are missing is kind of a pull, so maybe I'll talk to him about adding in lat pull downs or assisted pull ups. 

Squat + cable rotational pull: I stand 3-4 feet from the base of the cable machine. The cable is set at the floor. Use low weights. Hold the handle in one hand. Squat down, when you stand up pull the cable like you are doing a back row but rotate your body back as you do it. Do 10 then switch sides. It's like this but with a twist at the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLIM16GSuk I don't lean back like she does though. 

I have poor core strength but they feel I've had too many abdominal surgeries to do direct core work, so I have rotational movements instead. Last week it tried the squat + rotational cable row at 18# and it's just too taxing to do while also doing the big lifts, so as an accessory I'm doing lighter. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Haha, thanks!

It is incredibly confusing. And each federation has different rules about what constitutes what.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

It is incredibly confusing. And each federation has different rules about what constitutes what.

And I just discovered that the powerlifting gym that I was going to look into closed down recently. :( Not sure exactly when. They shared a space with another gym and the other gym went under. 

So it looks I'll be doing more research... My gym has racks of course but it would have been nice to be a part of a powerlifting group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

So it looks I'll be doing more research... My gym has racks of course but it would have been nice to be a part of a powerlifting group. 

Sooo when I started lifting I was doing StrongLifts for - I think - 5 months before I started to stall. I then joined a powerlifting club for about half a year until I moved out of England. I enjoyed training with other people and they were all very friendly! So I'd totally recommend being part of a powerlifting group regardless of competing! :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Sooo when I started lifting I was doing StrongLifts for - I think - 5 months before I started to stall. I then joined a powerlifting club for about half a year until I moved out of England. I enjoyed training with other people and they were all very friendly! So I'd totally recommend being part of a powerlifting group regardless of competing! :D 

I took a second look and noticed that there is one that is not too far that might make a great option. It is a 35 min drive. Two things sort of... 1) I don't feel like I am strong enough yet to be a part of a powerlifting/strongman gym and 2) website says there is sometimes a waiting list to join. If I feel brave I might contact them to see how long the wait list is. Maybe if it is long, by then I will feel ready and I should get on it now?

Unrelated, I tracked everything today even the too much pizza at work. And somehow after I put everything in, my estimates managed to hit my calories and macros almost exactly. Although I was probably low on fiber, I didn't look at that.

I had to have a really light dinner to compensate though. I wish I had saved calories for ice cream! It is soooo humid today. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

1) I don't feel like I am strong enough yet to be a part of a powerlifting/strongman gym

The main difference between a commercial gym (which, is usually oriented more towards cardio in my experience than strength training) and a powerlifting/strongman gym (which is oriented towards strength training) is.... the equipment and the goals that the people have. ;)

It'd be like saying "I'm not fast enough to hop on a treadmill", which said no one ever. Numbers are irrelevant, what people will care about is having one more training buddy. The reason they are there for is to lift. 

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

2) website says there is sometimes a waiting list to join. If I feel brave I might contact them to see how long the wait list is. Maybe if it is long, by then I will feel ready and I should get on it now?

You have nothing to lose by contacting them :) 

• Like 4

My gym buddy and I were just discussing the lack of power lifters in town. She recommended approaching the gym here in town and set up a club, thingy, social lifting get together...........well besides the curlbros and dreadmill set, there does not seem to be power lifters around. The fact that they moved the weights to a small section (dingy little room) of the centre and did away with almost all the extras except bench and rack and pre weighted Dumbbells kinda sends up a red flag as to how much the other equipment was being used.

I guess though there is nothing to lose about asking......... :)

Way I see it: You don't go to the gym to DEMONSTRATE that you are strong, you go to the gym to GET STRONGER. The sooner you find a training environment that works for you (good spotters, people who push you, good equipment etc.), the better really - your progress will accelerate. I usually like to use words like may and could, but in this case, I don't mind leaving it as a definitive statement.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

The main difference between a commercial gym (which, is usually oriented more towards cardio in my experience than strength training) and a powerlifting/strongman gym (which is oriented towards strength training) is.... the equipment and the goals that the people have. ;)

It'd be like saying "I'm not fast enough to hop on a treadmill", which said no one ever. Numbers are irrelevant, what people will care about is having one more training buddy. The reason they are there for is to lift. 

You make a very good point! I hadn't thought about it like that. I do need to see how my budget looks after I wrap up personal training next month and some other things happening this summer. But the gym membership would definitely be A LOT cheaper than training. Even holding two gym memberships would be cheaper. I would still keep my regular one because it is like 1 minute from my house. 

4 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

My gym buddy and I were just discussing the lack of power lifters in town. She recommended approaching the gym here in town and set up a club, thingy, social lifting get together...........well besides the curlbros and dreadmill set, there does not seem to be power lifters around. The fact that they moved the weights to a small section (dingy little room) of the centre and did away with almost all the extras except bench and rack and pre weighted Dumbbells kinda sends up a red flag as to how much the other equipment was being used.

I guess though there is nothing to lose about asking......... :)

I considered something like that. Unfortunately my gym just went 24 hours earlier this year. I think it would have worked better if it were closed part of the time and a powerlifting group could meet when it was closed to the public. But maybe if I start lifting with headphones off I'll meet some people that will want to lift together sometimes? The vast majority of the people at my gym are friendly and respectful. 

3 hours ago, evabo said:

Way I see it: You don't go to the gym to DEMONSTRATE that you are strong, you go to the gym to GET STRONGER. The sooner you find a training environment that works for you (good spotters, people who push you, good equipment etc.), the better really - your progress will accelerate. I usually like to use words like may and could, but in this case, I don't mind leaving it as a definitive statement.

Thanks. :) and I agree with you, I would definitely get stronger! I'm only now working on month 6 of training with a barbell. I did dumbbell strength training before but it was never consistent and I didn't know enough about how to make progress. Before starting bench, deadlift, and squat I was maybe stronger than the average woman who didn't strength train but not by much. I'm looking forward to starting an intermediate program next month. As I said above, I do need to look at finances. I think I can squeeze it into my budget. I will know for sure later this summer. (When they do the annual recalculation of my student loan payments, SCARY!!) 

• Like 3

Thursday Workout, June 16

Worked out with the personal trainer this AM, I don't really track the weights when I work with him. Mainly because I don't feel like we are doing full range of motion yet on squat and bench. But I do get sore from it and then I do full ROM when I workout the rest of the week by myself. Squat is almost at parallel. So at least I can tell I get to depth when I squat alone because I go lower than when he spots me. 

There's no cardio in my program, just dynamic circuits. 

Circuits: x3
Squat with Medicine Ball Rotational Press (8#) 20 total, 10 per side is one 1 set

Bike, as much resistance as I can handle for 1 minute
Walking lunges holding 8# dumbbells overhead, I think he said like 10 meters, back and forth x2 is 1 set
Squat with Rotational Sport Cord Row (red band?#?), 10 per side, 20 total is 1 set

Circuits: x4

Bench
Deadlift
OHP

Squat

I will comment on these two items

OHP:

Definitely getting better! 

2 sets x 7 reps at 45# 

1 set x 4 reps 65# 

1 set x 3 reps 65#. 

I felt like he was giving some assistance at 65# but my previous max was 50# (I think 2 sets 5 reps) and I feel like I can go in and tackle 55# for reps when I get back from vacation. He didn't touch the bar at 45#. 

Deadlift: 

Despite doing powerlifting as a circuit (WTF I'M DYING):

2x7, 125#

1x7, 135#

1x2, 145#

Previous max was 3x5 135# followed by 1x5 140#. So to pull 145# for 2 at the end of a brutal workout felt good. Although to be honest with you I've never lifted anything that felt heavier. I felt like I was pulling the bar through pudding at that point. But since you can't spot on deadlift, I know this was all me. Still doing all overhand, no straps. 

Please someone make a gif of deadlifting in pudding! 

• Like 6