Jarric gets METAL! \m/ (20/06/16 - 17/07/16)

Jarric

You got the war music for the Cutlass matey?

Interesting way to set up your challenge. 

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Gonna put together a proper update soon (sorry it's taken so long!) but I wanted to reply to all of you excellent people first :)

On 09/06/2016 at 11:18 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

The last time I went was when Linkin Park headlined. I had to look up what year that was and it was 2007 so I wasn't far off saying it was a decade ago! As much as I love live music, the thought of spending the weekend in a wet muddy field isn't appealing to me anymore. It would be nice if they brought back Sonisphere as I have family that live 5 minutes away from Knebworth so no need to camp!

Ah, I missed you by a couple of years then; my first was 2009. I know what you mean, it was seriously muddy this year, but the camping atmosphere is a big reason I go so I couldn't do without it.

I hope they bring Sonosphere back at some point, I've never been but I know I missed some awesome lineups.

On 09/06/2016 at 1:24 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Following because metal. And Download. And NXT.

Also because I've noticed you around the boards and you seem like an interesting type :D

Excellent, glad to have you! And thank you (I think, interesting is always an ...interesting compliment :P )

On 09/06/2016 at 3:16 PM, shaarawy said:

Holy smokes, I dunno who on that list I'd be hyped to see most... Amon Amarth probably, Rammstein a close second??!?!

NO WAIT

GHOST

AAHH SUCH JEALOUS.  Please regale us with epic tales upon your return~

*goes to listen to Cirice over and over*

All brilliant bands. Missed ghost this year, but I've seen them there before and they're great (and utterly, utterly bizarre!).

On 09/06/2016 at 5:14 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

squee.png

Eeeeee! I love your theme! Iron Maiden and Metallica are two of my favorite bands! I also love your What, Why, and How format! Following! :D

Thank you, glad to have you hear! The What, Why and How thing is no my own I must admit, although I can't for the life of me remember who I stole it from!

On 09/06/2016 at 6:47 PM, doctorake said:

Also some good punk bands listed. Have FUN!

Definitely! Billy Talent were particularly awesome this year; I realise how much of their stuff I knew until I was there singing along.

On 09/06/2016 at 9:47 PM, Evicious said:

2e78151b6b5997c64b77f5f902c75819.jpg

You have a gift for finding the pictures I didn't know I needed, but I definitely did :D 

On 13/06/2016 at 8:11 AM, bker1370 said:

Following shipmate

Glad to have you aboard matey

On 13/06/2016 at 0:13 PM, sterre said:

Ahoy, shipmate! Wicked challenge lined up!

Good luck quitting smoking, my partner did that recently (well, mostly, he stopped buying them anyway) and it definitely doesn't look easy, but you can totally do it.

Ahoy! Cheers for the vote of confidence, I certainly hope you're right!

On 13/06/2016 at 0:57 PM, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

You got the war music for the Cutlass matey?

Interesting way to set up your challenge. 

War music in general, off the top of my head I would go for this: 

Although as we're walk/hike/ruck/running this year, maybe this would be more appropriate:

12 hours ago, Balsquith said:

Ahoy Shipmate! I love you challenge and not just because of all the metal. Download is a great festival; Iron Maiden were also headlining when I went!

It certainly is! Was that 2013? I was there for that (though they have been to Donnington 6 times now, and 2013 was the first time I saw them).

7 hours ago, Evicious said:

Oh, hai there, just droppin' off your Wednesday cup o' joe...

9a71abb634772320293595e82bb29457.jpg

Love it, just what I needed!

6 hours ago, Oramac said:

And after work you get to use this one...

skull-shot-glass-c.jpg

Also very much needed, thank you!

• Like 6

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Guess who just got back today... (well, not actually today, it's just taken me far to long to sit down and do a write-up!).

Anyway, long, meandering probably sweary and possibly NSFW post coming; you have been warned.

Download was fucking incredible! Like seriously seriously awesome. Arrived on the Thursday after a nice easy 3.5 hour drive up the motorway. Beautiful sunshine, set up the tents nice and easily, and wandered up into the campsite village to get food, check everything out and try on silly hats.

j3omAeN.jpg

Me, my purple(ish) beard as promised, my sister and silly hats. I did get a compliment on the purple beard (it's better in certain lights), but that was after I complimented the bloke on his dress...

We also saw a motorcycle wall of death on the first day, which was quite frankly terrifying.

That evening, and every evening thereafter, it was into the village for much drinking and dancing (well, moshing mostly). There were two clubs, which had a mix of music and circus type shows, and a silent disco which was good fun. Met up with some old friends I've met in past years, and made some new friends (most of whom I won't remember, but I know we danced and drank together, sat around and ate with, and talked a great deal of utter shite. After each night it was a couple of miles back to disabled camp where we were staying, to drop into bed around 5am for a couple of hours before getting up and doing it all again,

Saw a ton of bands, so don't know where to start with that! @Rurik Harrgath, I said hello to Amon Amarth for you, although I'm not sure they heard me! @Oramac and @Sylvaa Halestorm were seriously awesome this year, will definitely see them again and probably get an album sometime soon.

Friday started with Alien Ant Farm, which was a real blast from the past, followed by Zoax who I would thoroughly recommend checking out if you get the chance, particularly for the singers madness in the live show. Another surprising highlight were Twin Atlantic; I've heard them on the radio and thought them quite poppy but their set was pretty heavy and really well put together. And of course Rammstein were excellent; I will not forget in a hurry the sight of the singer suspended in mid-air, with a giant pair of angel wings covered in fireworks and flamethrowers, during Engel. Not my picture:

maxresdefault.jpg

Saturday was a bit of a blur, but Inglorious and Sixx AM I remember were both particularly good, and I hadn't seen either before. Deftones were excellent and I managed to get right to the front and centre for their set. I did go down in a mosh pit and one point and scrape up my knee, but that's all part of the fun. I was going to head off and see Municipal Waste but by the time I'd got out of Deftones I was thoroughly knackered (sorry @doctorake:(), so I hung around at the sidelines to get in for Sabbath. They were bloody brilliant and are one of my favourite bands, so I'm really really glad I saw them on their farewell tour.

Not my picture:

black_sabbath26_website_image_veyl_stand

Sunday highlights were Halestorm (mentioned above), Breaking Benjamin (the first time they've ever been to Europe, and it was worth the wait) and Billy Talent who have now thoroughly converted my to being a fan. I have also discovered that I don't like Napalm Death, but that it is quite funny to hear the singer preaching about love and acceptance between brutally, unnecessarily heavy tracks.

I drank my fair share of good beer (Iron Maiden's Trooper and Download's own Dogtooth were both good choices), a fair amount of crap beer (mostly Fosters, because it's cheap, and also whatever I was handed), and more than a few suspicious concoctions. At one point I was definitely drinking out of a saucepan, no idea what was in that at all, then there was something in a sippy cup thing, and a large plastic bottle full of orange liquid which was handed over with the simple explanation "vodka!".

The worst thing of the weekend was the weather unfortunately (when the weather's so bad you complain about it more than the toilets at a festival you know you're in trouble. I could do a whole post on festival toilets and avoiding festival toilets, but it's probably not the most entertaining topic). The problem with festival weather is that whatever it is, pissing rain or blazing heat, you are in it. And after being teased with a beautiful day on the Thursday it was pissing rain for most of the rest.

It didn't help that apparently my boots leak a lot more than I thought, and that the sole came off one off them. I tried to MacGyver them back together:

xY4s6Dn.jpg

But unfortunately it was a little too muddy:

KwB4a9X.jpg

Like, seriously muddy:

U03kLud.jpg

Unsurprisingly I gave up on the boots; I cut my way out of them on the last night and left them on Donnington's hallowed (sacrosanct? defiled?) ground.

Still no amount of bad weather could dampen my spirits (my Mum and Dad were less impressed I must say), and most people missioned through and had a great great time of it. As soon as my wallet's recovered I'm sure I will be buying my ticket for next year!

The aftermath was of course less good, in fact after 4 days of much drink and no sleep I was ready to collapse. Massive delays and a closed motorway on the way home meant it took me 8 hours to get home instead of less than 4! Apparently some guy climbed up one of the sign gantries over the road and refused to come down, so they closed a massive section of the M1?

When I got home my wonderful Mrs informed me she had bought some beer so I could have a drink in the shower; the two things I needed the most at that moment. A few (too many) drinks and some trash TV before I passed out closed off the day. Two days later and I still haven't recovered, and given that I'm writing this at 1am it might be a couple more yet!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I get too excited and can't contain myself! I'm not going to go back and proof read it, so sorry for any/all mistakes! I promise over the next few days I will catch up with all your threads and see how you wonderful wonderful people are destroying your week one. Hopefully by the start of my week one on Monday...

• Like 15

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

@Rurik Harrgath, I said hello to Amon Amarth for you, although I'm not sure they heard me!

f20ebd.jpg

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

It didn't help that apparently my boots leak a lot more than I thought, and that the sole came off one off them. I tried to MacGyver Ranger them back together:

Fixed

As a survivor of the muddy Wacken '09, I fully sympathize with all the weather and mud talk, but it sounds like you had a grrrrrreat time! Glad to have you back!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jarric said:

It certainly is! Was that 2013? I was there for that (though they have been to Donnington 6 times now, and 2013 was the first time I saw them).

I think it was actually 2003 on the 'Give me Ed... 'Til I'm dead' tour. They were amazing of course, with a giant Ed wandering around in the background if my memory serves me correctly.

Goo to hear you had a super weekend :) That mud reminds me of a particularly wet Glastonbury I had the pleasure of attending!

• Like 1

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

13 hours ago, Jarric said:

Halestorm were seriously awesome this year, will definitely see them again and probably get an album sometime soon.

Glad to hear it!!

Seems like you had an amazing time!  I totally understand the muddy concert thing.  I love that picture of Rammstein too.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

What's a music festival without mud? :P

I've actually lucked out. I went to the Labyrinth festival in Japan twice and no rain. The year before I first went, there was a typhoon and they had to cancel the last day (apparently the default is lots of rain).

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

For the most part not kind of music, but it sounds like it was a great time anyway.

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Man, I love Halestorm. It's so cool that you got to see them! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Once Rammstein live - forever impressed by Rammstein live!

I need to go to that festival or at least Rammstein concert again sometime for sure! Looks like a pretty fun experience (though it reminds me of mudmasters or some kind of that :D)

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

On 6/16/2016 at 1:02 AM, Sylvaa said:

Yay! So glad it was fun!

I saw Alien Ant Farm 13 years ago, so it was really funny to me when I saw they were going to be there. I know back then they had a good show - but it made me feel super old to say that.

Glad you made it home safe and are getting back in the swing of things!

To be fair, I felt old watching Alien Ant Farm, I'm amazed they're still going!

On 6/16/2016 at 3:49 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

f20ebd.jpg

Aww, shucks, thank you!

On 6/16/2016 at 8:49 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Fixed

As a survivor of the muddy Wacken '09, I fully sympathize with all the weather and mud talk, but it sounds like you had a grrrrrreat time! Glad to have you back!

Ouch, heard that was a bad one. Thank you!

On 6/16/2016 at 9:33 AM, Balsquith said:

I think it was actually 2003 on the 'Give me Ed... 'Til I'm dead' tour. They were amazing of course, with a giant Ed wandering around in the background if my memory serves me correctly.

Goo to hear you had a super weekend :) That mud reminds me of a particularly wet Glastonbury I had the pleasure of attending!

That's awesome, a bit before my festival going days unfortunately.

On 6/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, doctorake said:

Awesome looking time! Thanks for the pics and great update.

And thank you!

On 6/16/2016 at 2:35 PM, Oramac said:

Glad to hear it!!

Seems like you had an amazing time!  I totally understand the muddy concert thing.  I love that picture of Rammstein too.  

Thank you. Not my picture unfortunately.

On 6/16/2016 at 3:30 PM, sterre said:

What's a music festival without mud? :P

I've actually lucked out. I went to the Labyrinth festival in Japan twice and no rain. The year before I first went, there was a typhoon and they had to cancel the last day (apparently the default is lots of rain).

You're right, it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't messy!

On 6/16/2016 at 4:33 PM, bker1370 said:

For the most part not kind of music, but it sounds like it was a great time anyway.

Certainly was. There's actually a fair range of bands on the line-up, depends what you want to see.

On 6/17/2016 at 0:31 AM, Broba Fett said:

I'm insanely jealous that you got to go to that festival.  Glad you had a good time.  Will be trying to keep up from here.

Thank you, good to have you here!

On 6/17/2016 at 3:59 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Man, I love Halestorm. It's so cool that you got to see them! 

I know, they were excellent as well!

On 6/17/2016 at 4:20 PM, BarbarianBassBro said:

Once Rammstein live - forever impressed by Rammstein live!

I need to go to that festival or at least Rammstein concert again sometime for sure! Looks like a pretty fun experience (though it reminds me of mudmasters or some kind of that :D)

They're so good live aren't they! And it's excellent that they're still touring. Where did you see them?

• Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Sorry I've been rubbish at posting on here and catching up with all your threads, I need to make more of an effort to get on here this coming week.

This week has been far too relaxed, really looking forward to starting this challenge now!

I have only exercised once this week (playing badminton), plus a leisurely walk with the Mrs for the mini. Smoked far too much, drank more than I ought too and it's actually really starting to make me feel bad. It's going to be a bit of a trial by fire getting into the challenge routine I think, particularly as Monday I'm going straight from work up to London for a corporate sponsored piss-up (well, there's a seminar first, but then it's drinks and barbeque and watching the football (or soccer for the non-brits)). Gonna be one of the hardest days of the whole challenge to keep the smoking down I feel.

Also, I'm going to see The Offspring on Wednesday! Really looking forward to it; they were a proper band of my youth and I have all of the albums so can't wait to see them. Think that deserves a song:

• Like 8

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Jarric said:

They're so good live aren't they! And it's excellent that they're still touring. Where did you see them?

2011 in Düsseldorf at their tour. 50m away from the stage and still felt the flames in my face.

This is the concert I´ve been (still got goosebumps when I see it on YT)

• Like 1

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:42 PM, BarbarianBassBro said:

2011 in Düsseldorf at their tour. 50m away from the stage and still felt the flames in my face.

This is the concert I´ve been (still got goosebumps when I see it on YT)

Awesome stuff; I know what you mean about the heat. Will find time to sit down and watch that whole show soon (maybe for one of my weekend free time sessions?).

----

So, week one is finally about to begin for me! Need to get to bed soon so I can get up to swim; just prepping breakfasts (boiled eggs) and tomorrow's lunch (cous cous and baked veg) first.

Rough plan for the week:

-Mon - Swim, work, work do/corporate sponsored drinking

-Tue - Swim, work, gym, prep rest of week's breakfasts

-Wed - Swim, work, going to see The Offspring

-Thu - Vote, work, snooker

-Fri - Swim, work, Gym

-Sat - Stuff around the house x4, make an hour of time to catch up on stuff

-Sun - Gym, prep breakfasts, work at club in evening

Need some songs to pump me up for starting the week, any suggestions? I'm gonna start with this:

• Like 5

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Got up to swim today, good start to the challenge!

400m Breaststroke warm-up

950m freestyle ladder with 20s rests (50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 200)

50m freestyle sprint in 0:47

Total Distance: 1,400m

Total Time: 37:47

Swim Time: 29:37

Ave. Pace: 129.7sec/100m

I feel like my swimming progress is really slow, but looking at my average pace of the last year and a bit it's definitely speeding up:

QHW5VoJ.png

• Like 8

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler