RogueLibrarian crawls the dungeon

It’s a dungeon crawl this month, folks. I’m a lone rogue with a hot tip -- the old man in that tavern let slip that there’s a treasure cache at the bottom of that maze of caves out past the marches. Legend says there’s something big and nasty guarding it, but nobody knows for sure what, because nobody who treks out that far has ever made it back. I think I’ve got the skills, if I can prove I’ve got the guts.

b2e8eac2-196c-43de-8a80-a7b023c765db_560

In a more mundane universe, I’m giving a conference keynote the last week of June. (They invited me and are paying me.) It’s on a topic I published a book about last year, so theoretically I know what I’m doing, but I have a lot of work to do to get ready and I’m pretty anxious about it. I haven’t done one of these in years. This is a RL boss fight. I’m up to the task.

What’s in the tool pouches hanging from my various belts?

• Exercise gives me confidence
  • Meditation stills the anxiety
  • Careful planning makes me prepared for anything
  • Anti-anxiety drugs. Um, potions. Prescription potions!
  • Playlists to psych me up for any occasion
  • Also probably some daggers and stuff

The Quest:

Week 1: Find the cave entrance.

Setting out from the borderlands inn on a trek through the wilderness. Gear up. Map the route. Survive to find the way in. This week culminates with the Pride 5k run (first 5k!).

Week 2: Find the treasure

Delving into the depths with nothing but my quick wits, reflexes, sword and dagger, and a pouch full of thieves’ tricks. This week I have to get everything finalized and ready -- presentation text, slides, final travel plans. 

Week 3: Boss Fight.

There’s a beast at the bottom of this labyrinth, and it’s hunkered down between me and the gold. This will be a tough week. I’ve got the presentation, a day of travel (4 hrs driving) on either side, and a tough workday when I get back. I’ll work out the day before for a power-up. Then it’s battle time.

Also, my birthday’s in here somewhere.

Week 4: Get out in one piece and make it back to town alive to spend the loot.

That’ll be easy, right?

Here’s the challenge:

• Strength workout 3x/week (NFA bodyweight or equivalent). Lose points* if I don’t warm up before and cool down after.

• Cardio 2x/week. Probably 1x run and 1x bike or machine. My knees are suffering a bit lately.

• A full stretch/flexibility routine 1x/week to get the habit going. I keep saying I’m going to do this and then not doing it.

• Meditate daily. 5 minutes is good, 10 is better.

• 3 hours of writing or presentation prep per week.

• Cook (or salad-ize) green vegetables twice a week. Something that can be packed for lunches, ideally.

• Drink alcohol no more than once a week. Drink no more than two drinks when I do. My birthday gets an exception within reasonable limits. No alcohol while traveling alone.

• Life: Work on a home improvement project once a week, even just a little

*there are no points

Additional goals for the month:

• Work out the day before the presentation. (The day of would be even better.)
  • Build a library of 5 complete workout routine options in Evernote. I want a routine for when I have a gym, when I’m at home, when I’m traveling and have no equipment at all … I’m building my tool kit so I will have a full workout I can do in whatever circumstance.
  • Knock out the NFA level 2 boss (I’m doing level 3 workouts, but I need to go back and scratch that off or I’ll never sleep soundly)
  • Try the NFA level 3 boss -- not until week 4!
  • Work on some Assassin path quests in the Academy

Aaaaaaand .... roll for initiative.

• Like 6

"We can be heroes"

Following along again, great story!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Thanks, folks! Following back as I spot your challenges appearing.

Today's lunch (cooked last night even though I was tired and didn't want to cook) was tofu, garlic, broccoli, mushroom, onion cooked in a wok and served over some fancy green rice we got as a gift. If I hadn't had that packed and ready to go this morning, I am 100% certain I'd have dived into a takeout burrito for lunch today (which I still do once a week or so, but at least I've started asking them to leave off the chips).

Noting that this Saturday is a friend's birthday party at a bar, and that I meant to add some alcohol rules to my challenge this month. I'll go back and do that.

I wonder if my climbing wall is open again now that summer classes have started? I need to check on that. Any thoughts on how active but "just for fun" physical activities fit in with rest days and workout schedule? Is it best to avoid climbing altogether if I'm on a recovery day? 

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Week 0 and the first batch of zombies have been run. Penultimate episode of ZR season 1 -- wow. It was a bit longer than usual: 35 minutes rather than the usual 28-30, but I did pretty well. I'd love an interval timer feature in ZR. I tend to use the episode segments as walk breaks or sometimes the songs as very rough timers: "I can keep running to the end of this track and then let myself walk for a minute or so."

The conference website with my picture and bio on it just went live. Gulp. Shit's getting real.

Today: Teaching an afternoon class, then looking up some sort of chunky raw vegetable salad recipe, I think, before the grocery store. Avocado salad last week was a big hit. Evening will probably be a rings workout in the back yard. I'm getting a lot better about doing home workouts in the evenings when I don't have time for a daytime gym break. This feels like a victory, especially with summer heat already brutal and getting worse. I'll try to get a walk in today, maybe to de-stress after class (but it'll be hot).

The week's plan is M/W/F strength workouts and Tu/Sat runs. I'm trying that out as a regular schedule. So far so good.

Also, I can report that Are You Gonna Be My Girl is a really good track to start a run. 

• Like 3

"We can be heroes"

Oh, and for those following from last week/month:

Mr. No-Pants Cat appears to be recovering right on schedule. He has a bit of a road ahead of him, but he gets up and walks around when he wants to, and he's noticeably sitting up more and bathing himself regularly. I think he's going to be fine.

The limb should be gone from my front yard when I get home today. Supposedly the phone company is coming to fix the downed line today too, so we'll have home internet back, but I'll believe that one when I see it.

I'm taking Friday to work at home on my presentation all day (and get the car's oil changed), so getting a workout in will be at my own discretion.

• Like 2

"We can be heroes"

Hooray for the pantless feline wonder's recovery. Looks like you've got a busy month ahead of you but you are geared up to kick booties. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

39 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

The limb should be gone from my front yard when I get home today.

1) It could be that I've been running from Zombies far too much lately (is there a thing as too much?), but this was mildly concerning until I remembered about the tree. I was wondering whose limb you had in your yard and why it took so long to get it out.

2) You commented on my ZR post on Facebook and it is weird when worlds collide. But yay! A wild nerd appeared. ;) I also commented on it about you being the Irene to my Sherlock and then realized how weird that would be to people who didn't know about the challenge and immediately deleted it.

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

6 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

;) I also commented on it about you being the Irene to my Sherlock and then realized how weird that would be to people who didn't know about the challenge and immediately deleted it.

oh I am so bummed that you deleted it. I was looking forward to reports back from the book of faces.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

18 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

1) It could be that I've been running from Zombies far too much lately (is there a thing as too much?), but this was mildly concerning until I remembered about the tree. I was wondering whose limb you had in your yard and why it took so long to get it out.

I didn't say that was the only limb in the yard.

18 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

2) You commented on my ZR post on Facebook and it is weird when worlds collide. But yay! A wild nerd appeared. ;) I also commented on it about you being the Irene to my Sherlock and then realized how weird that would be to people who didn't know about the challenge and immediately deleted it.

I did, what!? I genuinely had/have no idea. Now I'm trying to figure out what I said and where. :) 

"We can be heroes"

21 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

OMG, got it! That's hilarious. Had I not been using the same photo we'd never have noticed.

It did help! But I bet you would have gotten suspicious because I told the same story in my thread. :) 

It was fun though... I was like wait, I think I know him!

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

2 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

It did help! But I bet you would have gotten suspicious because I told the same story in my thread. :) 

It was fun though... I was like wait, I think I know him!

I can only assure you I'm not FB stalking you. :) I'm cunning, but not that cunning. Weirdly small world.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"