• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm terrible with challenge themes. I love what other people come up with, and admire their creativity, but  I'm never happy with my own ones. Anyway, straight to the point: My goals for this month:

Goal #1: Food Log

For this challenge, I'm not setting up any specific restrictions because my mentality has changed since I slayed the demons from my past (AKA visited my old university as some of you might remember from last month). I used to be a binge-eater. Then I stopped binging, but I was still addicted to junk food (sugary things, to be specific). Last month I promised myself "2 clean days a week," which meant I would avoid any kind of junk food (healthy snacks were okay) on those days. I kept my promise, but I always thought I'd take advantage of the upcoming zero week and have no clean days until the real challenge starts. Well, it's Tuesday and I'm not craving anything because I have no restrictions. Instead, I ask myself "You are allowed to have an ice cream, or a piece of cake, but you're strong enough to make a better choice today, so why not just make it?"

I wonder how many "clean days" this mentality will earn me, so I'm just going to track my food for a month. I'm just experimenting here.

Goal #2: Strength Training

2 times a week. NFA Bodyweight level 2, the usual stuff. I'm planning to lower the elevated push-ups even further. A real push-up is sooo close, I can feel it!

Goal #3: Hola-hooping

Now this is new! I realized my core needs a bit extra work, so I decided to buy a hula-hoop! I've never tried it before, not even as a kid, so I don't know what to expect. I've ordered it this afternoon, should arrive on Thursday so I can test what kind of routine will be reasonable before the challenge officially starts next week. I'm thinking at least 5 minutes everyday. After all, I got nothing better to do this summer.

Life Goal: Master's Thesis

I know, I know. Schools out for summer (insert the related Alice Cooper song here), but I just want to get over with this blasted stuff already. The sooner, the better! My plan is to finish the close-reading of at least one book by the end of the challenge. Wish me luck!

• Like 5

oooh I love the mentality you're experimenting with!! Stepping into your own power, claiming the choice, excellent!

Good luck on the studying and yayyyyyyy hula hoop :D

You'll have a blast this challenge, I can see it already

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

oooh I love the mentality you're experimenting with!! Stepping into your own power, claiming the choice, excellent!

Good luck on the studying and yayyyyyyy hula hoop :D

You'll have a blast this challenge, I can see it already

Thank you :) And my hoop has arrived btw. I was only going to give it a try, as I was planning to do something else this evening, but couldn't stop myself and now I'm soooo tired :D I'm terrible at hooping, though. I can't hoop more than 2-3 times. Sometimes I get lucky and do lile 7-8, but that's it. I probably got tired while picking it up from the floor every time, rather than hooping itself :D It's a bit heavy, but it's covered with a soft material, so thankfully there won't be any bruises! And the smell of the material reminds me of my old aikido dojo. I don't know why, but that smell always motivates me to work out.

Anyway, I was normally planning to give the NFA Recruit workout a try. The Academy has "boss battles" now, but when I joined, I started with that recruit workout and I miserably failed. After doing 2 sets, I got sick and had to stop. I couldn't even do the cool-down! Now I want to try again and see how I'm going to do after 4 months. But I couldn't sleep well last night (damn mosquitos!) and the hoop has worn me out today, so I'll do it tomorrow instead. Can't wait to measure my progress!

• Like 3

Excellent!!! How awesome you had such fun :D It is such a cool toy right?! You'll get the knack of it soon enough, you'll see. Did you try both directions? For me the counterclockwise for some reason works way better than clockwise... Also I can only keep it up at waist height for now, so starting a bit higher helped me, too.

Can't wait to hear about all your experiences with it, squeee

Yay to progress comparison with the recruit workout, that'll be interesting to see

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowOwl said:

You make me want to get a hoop! 

Haha, thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. Every time I get something new, a part of me feels guilty because I'm usually a quitter :D You're welcomed to join the hoop club anytime ;)

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Excellent!!! How awesome you had such fun :D It is such a cool toy right?! You'll get the knack of it soon enough, you'll see. Did you try both directions? For me the counterclockwise for some reason works way better than clockwise... Also I can only keep it up at waist height for now, so starting a bit higher helped me, too.

Can't wait to hear about all your experiences with it, squeee

Yay to progress comparison with the recruit workout, that'll be interesting to see

Yep, counterclockwise works better for me, too. Starting a bit higher gives me a few extra hoops, but that's all. I can't seem to keep it going. I wonder how long it'll take, but I'm not complaning. I'm doing it just for fun and to slim down my waist a bit. I'm currently on level 2 of the Academy workouts and it seems to focus more on the upper body and the legs. I wanted something extra for my core. Even if I don't become a master hooper, I'm cool with it :)

• Like 2

Woo-hoo! I did it! I completed the Recruit Workout this time!

I was a bit anxious because I was afraid I was going to get sick again, but I didn't! Did it kick my ass? Absolutely. But I was feeling awesome afterwards, not nauseous :) I'm amazed how much can change just in 4 months.Besides, the first time I tried it, I was doing an easier version (dumbbell rows with lighter weights, box squats instead of regular ones, etc.).

No hooping for the weekend, my right arm is a bit sore from all that ambitious rotating :D I think I went a bit overboard to give the hoop a good starting rotation.

I can't wait to see this month's mini... Anyway, good luck to everyone!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Kunmaar said:

Congratulations! :D:D  (And the hoops sound like so much fun! I want to try and use 'ambitious rotating' in a sentence at work now. :lol:

• Like 3

On 10/06/2016 at 7:12 PM, Kunmaar said:

I was a bit anxious because I was afraid I was going to get sick again, but I didn't! Did it kick my ass? Absolutely. But I was feeling awesome afterwards, not nauseous :) I'm amazed how much can change just in 4 months.Besides, the first time I tried it, I was doing an easier version (dumbbell rows with lighter weights, box squats instead of regular ones, etc.).

Yes! That's some really great progress

Internet+high+five+join+the+high+fivers+

• Like 3

So, it was a bumpy start. I've been kind of "meh" and making poor food choices for the last three days... I also keep forgetting to track my food. But hey, this is only Tuesday! I still have 6 more days to make things right for the first week, right?

• Like 5

I feel ya on the meh and poor food choices. I drank soda on Sunday, before I remembered one of my goals is to only have soda 1 day a week. Whoops. Lol. 

Are you tracking online or just keeping a food log?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I feel ya on the meh and poor food choices. I drank soda on Sunday, before I remembered one of my goals is to only have soda 1 day a week. Whoops. Lol. 

Are you tracking online or just keeping a food log?

No, I just write down what I eat, I don't even track calories :)

• Like 2

Okay, so...

To my shame, I was able to pull my shit together only today. I don't know what came over me... Just a few days ago I weighted 85 kgs, now I'm back to 89 :( I know the scale isn't everything, but it's still discouraging.

I still keep forgetting to write down what I ate, but luckily I didn't eat much so I remembered to write it down later. Just some chicken, cherries and a cup of Greek yogurt after the workout. Not that I'm starving myself, but it's too hot here and I don't want to eat anything, I don't even want to bother cooking. It's probably the heat that makes things worse for me.I can't even properly sleep at night and I wake up tired. Tomorrow I'll buy a few bottles of sparkling mineral water (with no added sugar, of course) so hopefully they'll keep me occupied instead of binging on ice-cream.

I'll also take a few days off from hooping daily, because my belly hurts every time I try to hoop, although there're no visible bruises.

I'm back to working on my thesis again, today I revised the intro and tomorrow I'll start doing some reading. The question of "Is it going to be good enough this time?" is another factor contributing to my stress levels, for sure.

• Like 2

Today's been a great day, so I had to share with you guys :)

First of all, I've finally discovered a healthy snack that can ACTUALLY replace my favorite sweets! Granola bars made of date and hazelnut. Yum! They're really simple to make, btw.

Secondly, I've joined the mini and had my walk. I was long due... And I love Firefly! Tomorrow morning I'll use all the courage I can find and try some assisted chin-ups in the park. I'll do it very early in the morning, so hopefully no one will be around. I'll also put on my earphones, which is a must, haha. Don't hesitate to roast me if I chicken out ;)

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SnowOwl said:

Recipe please! :D

Oh, sure! A handful of nuts to the food precessor, crumble them a bit, then add the pitted dates and a pinch of salt, process again,  From my experience, 7 dates makes 2 bars. If they're too hard, you can add some water (maybe 1/8 of a cup, not too much), Put the mixture in something preferably rectangular, let it rest in the fridge for a few hours, then cut them into bars. That's all :) Some recipes also use oats, but I hate oats, and it works just fine without them. Some also have honey or maple syrup in the mixture, but dates are already too sweet, so imo that's an overkill.

• Like 4

I did it! I went to the park and did a set of inverted rows! I'd never tried those before, they were definitely harder than I thought. After all those dubbell rows, I was only able to do 6 inverted rows (plus a half, but I didn't count that one for the mini). I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but at least I now know where I stand on the pull-up progression. My new goal is to be able to do at least 10 reps, hopefully by the end of this challenge.

I fled back home after the first set, but it wasn't that scary :) Thankfully there was no one around, so I did my inverted rows in peace.

Also, I'm getting much better at hooping. I was able to almost 20 rotations on both sides!

• Like 5

Since most folks are doing a weekly recap, I'll go with the flow:

Food log: I keep forgetting logging my food intake immediately, but everything usually gets written down at the end of the day.

Academy Workouts: Finally I've started to enjoy these workouts :) I no longer feel being tormented. This time I turned the AC on while exercising, because the heat is just getting worse here. I've recently got obsessed with Vikings (TV show), so I had done a crappy version of Lagertha's hair while watching, and I decided to keep it afterwards to feel extra badass while working out :D Perks of working out at home: You can do all sort of crazy things without getting judging looks!

Hooping: This one just gets better. This morning I was able to do 30 rotations in a row, but never got that lucky again. Anyway, I'm definitely improving.

Dissertation: Well, it sucks. I should've started reading The Vampyre, but I haven't.

• Like 5

Whooohoooo, you are ROCKING things!! Recruit workout wins, inverted rows in the park, badass hairstyles while working out :D and hooping like a champion :triumphant:

Highest of 5, really!

Love the granola bar recipe, mmmh.

Keep rocking :) 

Dissertation will have to catch up to all the other wins eventually ;)

• Like 4

I love the minis! Thanks to this months mini, I've discovered hollow holds and arch-ups. Of course I had to try them after some hooping :D My superset lasted 79 seconds, not bad for the first time, I guess. I don't know how much of it is the hollows and how much is the archs, though, I didn't have the chance to check my phone in between. But I'll surely try to break new personal records every once in a while ;)

I've finished The Vampyre. Yeahi that was quick. I guess that's how I function; constantly whining about things until I get them done without knowing it. Tomorrow I'll take some notes about the parts I'll mention in my dissertation, then move on to the next book.

• Like 5

All is well, just checking in :) No luck with the hoop, though, max. 20 rotations since yesterday...

I've been working on my Epic Quest for a while, and it's hard since I don't know who exactly I want to be in the next decade. Sure, I want to be a superhero, but there're so many different ways to become one :D I don't like long term plans.

So, instead of categorizing them into different aspects of life, I've decided to categorize them by year. For example, this year's title is "An Epic 2016." It is a short list, but still full of stuff that will shape my future.

I've also developed a personal system to unlock new quests. I will only allow myself to add a new quest if the previous requirement is complete.

Here it goes:

- Weight 75 kg >>> Unlocks weight 70 kg

- 3000 $ in the savings account >>> Unlocks a higher amount I haven't decided yet

- Get a TESOL certificate >>> Unlocks find a job

- Finish dissertation >>> Unlocks literature quests (I have to read so much for the dissertation that I don't have time to read the actual stuff I want to read).

- Get your driving license >>> Unlocks another class (kick boxing, I assume)

Anyway, I wanted to share this in case you're still unsure of what an "epic quest" should include, like me :)

• Like 3

Totally late but I love your goals. Love the strength training, love the hooping (you'll get better at it--when I was hooping I told myself a half hour a day and got a lot better at it quicker), love the thesis work (summertime is the best time to get stuff done!).

• Like 1

Epic Quest is still in progress... I've made a few adjustment yesterday, but it's still far from complete. I realized that I didn't want to rush anything by dividing quests by year, so instead, I took a more "literary" approach and categorized them by chapters, like chapters of my autobiography (Not that my life is interesting enough to write an autobiography :))

Anyway, woke up early today to add some points to the mini. Luckily, there was no one in the park again, my only workout buddies were cats :) A guy passed by and I caught him staring at me, but he probably thought I was chasing cats, haha. I was barely able to do 6 inverted rows, not even 6 and a half this time :( I also tried a bar hang, I think it only lasted for 3 seconds *facepalm* Then I came home and did a hollow-arch superset, broke a new PR of 104 seconds!!! Yay! I just wish my arms were as strong as my core. I have a huge amount of belly fat, but looks like I have a strong core hidden underneath it :D

I've started reading the second book for the thesis, and I'll probably finish it before the end of this challenge. I'll have finished 2 books intead of 1 by then. Now how awesome is that?

• Like 2