Gryffinkat Gets Serious

Food

platter-of-fruits.jpg

(Yum, veg!!)

No sugar before lunch.

That means breakfast cannot consist of sugary snacks (some chocolate powder in a smoothie is all right, but not on consecutive days). And no sugary treats before I eat an actual, real lunch. Prefer fruit over sweets at all times.

Eat two different veg with each meal (lunch & dinner).

I recently heard someone talking about the idea of always offering at least three different vegetables with each meal, and I thought it was brilliant. You get some options, so if something doesn't sound appetizing (or you're afraid to try it), you don't have to eat it; and you also get a greater range of nutrients in your meals. So, in that spirit, I will be trying to eat two different vegetables with each lunch and dinner throughout this challenge.

Fitness

sam_s_handstand_challenge_258455363.jpg

(Yup, that's the state of my hand-stands right now.)

Work out 4x per week.

My basic plan for this is strength twice a week, swimming and running once each. But it's a pretty flexible plan, and some weeks I might choose to switch these around a bit, partly depending on circumstances (there are some days where I will be out of town and won't have access to the same equipment or a pool, etc.).

Work on handstands and cartwheels 1x per week.

I'm super super super super super beginner on both of these. I vaguely remember a time when I could do a halfway decent cartwheel. But I can't remember ever having done a handstand. I don't expect to get very far with either, but it's time to step up and actually start working on them, even if they're totally ridiculous.

Life

home_feature.jpg

(If all my soft files were in hard copy, this would be but a drop in the ocean ...)

Write for at least one hour 5x a week (academic).

Plain and simple, I need to put my nose to the grindstone and do some actual writing and work every day. This is supposed to be Mon thru Fri, but if I miss a day during the week and work on Saturday instead, that's still all right.

Write for at least one hour every day (personal project).

I'm super excited about this project, which I have had in the works for well over a year now. I just keep getting side-tracked and don't really get very serious about it. But I think it's going to be awesome, and this month I am focusing on getting serious with it. I honestly think that if I work on it for a full hour every day for the full 28 days, I can be finished with a full rough draft by the end.

NB: For both writing challenges, that one hour of writing has to be actual writing, not research or prep work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hardest thing with this challenge is going to be the very last week. During that week, I will be out of town presenting at two different conferences on consecutive days in different cities. (Yikes! But also, I'm super looking forward to it!) That's always an extra challenge on food and fitness, at least for me, and I won't have my regular pool to go to, etc. Plus, Independence Day! Even in England, it still makes me want to eat hot dogs and Twinkies. ;)

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

Good luck on your challenge. I just finished the challenge last round with a writing element and plan to do it again this round. Last round I set a word count minimum I wanted to accomplish every week (8,375 words). In addition to a 1-hour minimum or 800 words minimum (whichever one I did was good) for 6 days per week. I found this helped me ride through some crazy moments with schedules and stay super-uber focused.  I don't know about you, but I find it easy to twiddle away an hour of "writing time" without actually writing or researching. ;) 

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

On 6/9/2016 at 2:09 AM, Jayniana Jones said:

Good luck on your challenge. I just finished the challenge last round with a writing element and plan to do it again this round. Last round I set a word count minimum I wanted to accomplish every week (8,375 words). In addition to a 1-hour minimum or 800 words minimum (whichever one I did was good) for 6 days per week. I found this helped me ride through some crazy moments with schedules and stay super-uber focused.  I don't know about you, but I find it easy to twiddle away an hour of "writing time" without actually writing or researching. ;) 

Oh yes, that is SOO easy to do. That's why I added that stipulation that the writing time has to be actual writing, and can't just be research or prep work, etc. I have done this in the past and found it really helpful to get some good writing done, so I'm hoping to see similar results with this challenge.

On 6/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, Evicious said:

Great goals, and I love how you've added in the flexibility ahead of time. :) 

I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of person, so it annoys me to have to build in flexibility—I'd rather be able to just say 'yup!' or 'huh-uh', and that's all there is to it. But the fact is, most of life requires a lot of flexibility, so I think it's a good mental/psychological exercise for me to build challenges like this, and to remind myself that 'all' and 'nothing' are not the only options, and that just because I didn't make it to 'all' doesn't mean that I'm not progressing.

• Like 1

Yikes! I nearly forgot that the challenge officially started today. I did manage to not eat sugar before I had my lunch, but then had a very light lunch and didn't get in my two veg for that meal; I did get in two for dinner, plus over an hour of writing on my personal project. So, off to a pretty good start.

Also just realized I need to add point values for all these goals. Guess I'll ruminate on that a bit and come back to it tomorrow.

• Like 2