Jane Eyre is starting a Level 1 Challenge

>Press Start

Main Quest: Lose 8lbs in 4 weeks

To do this I will

Nutrition

1) Track everything I eat on MyFitnessPal

2) Eat at least one vegetable with every meal.

Fitness

3) Bike at least to the McDonald's and back 2x a week. (4 miles round trip) Don't worry, I won't actually go into the McDonald's. Gross.

For my Life Quest, I will

Write 500 words daily in the SAME DOCUMENT for the 4 week challenge. I have horrible story ADD. Gonna fix that by sticking to ONE STORY for four entire weeks. Heaven help me, I think this quest is probably the hardest one.

• Like 9

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

I know! I actually used to do Weight Watchers, and they have some foods that are zero "points," which I would eat a lot of and wonder why I wasn't losing weight. MyFitnessPal is so much more helpful. (Not in the least because it's free!)

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

I admire that you will try for both better fitness and writing. I'm finding it hard, but then I haven't been regular with either. Hopefully both of us will do well!

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Thank you! The hard part will be focusing on just one story. I feel like I write all the time but I flit around between ideas like a hummingbird on speed and nothing gets finished. I hope you do well too!

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

I found your thread! Your goals sound really solid - my only suggestion would be not to fixate too much on losing a specific number of pounds in 4 weeks. Weight fluctuates for so many reasons, from the contents of your stomach to your period to the amount of water in your body. My advice is to consider it a success if you meet your behavior goals (all of which are solid!) no matter what the scale says at the end. Our bodies like to follow their own timetables, but if you keep up with your diet/exercise goals, you'll get there eventually!!

I find writing incredibly helpful for building creativity and introspection and also for stress management. My last challenge included a side quest to write 500 words per day, but I didn't do so well - it's tough to make time at the end of the day! I hope it goes well for you and I would love any tips you have on how to make writing a daily habit.

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

On 6/8/2016 at 2:21 PM, powerpc127 said:

"Bike to the McDonald's and back 2x a week." NOOOOO!!! That is the opposite of healthy.

"Don't worry, I won't actually go into the McDonald's. Gross." Phew... Good call.

Seems like you have a good plan. 8 lbs seems like a reasonable goal. Good luck!

Yeah, I don't plan on actually eating there. It's just a good place to stop. Beyond that the trail is under construction and I've seen signs for some kind of detour but I haven't actually followed them yet.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Yea for willpower.  It's like walking to the Abyss and saying ... "Not today, thank you."

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 6/10/2016 at 9:39 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Yea for willpower.  It's like walking to the Abyss and saying ... "Not today, thank you."

Yea for the willpower not to go into the McDonald's? Because if that's what you mean, you're giving me too much credit. I never bring money when I bike so I couldn't afford any of their food even if I wanted to. This is essential because on the corner right before I turn onto the trail there is a far more tempting shop that sells handmade candies and truffles and caramels and smoothies and things. I admit to seriously contemplating stopping in every time I pass, even though I don't bring money and even if I did their stuff is too expensive to justify buying.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Day one of the challenge! I haven't actually done anything yet, this is just a maintence sort of post. How I plan to chart and explain my progress.

I have a battle log. (Battle Bog: I wanted there to be an alliteration.) I've been posting there daily and I will continue to do so. To keep this from getting redundant, I'll only come back here at the end of the week, (so every Saturday) and grade myself for the whole week. Plus updates about my weight, since that is what the main quest actually is.

The weight thing represents a bit of problem starting... I weighed myself yesterday morning but not this morning. I can't guarantee that my weight yesterday is the same as my weight today. (In fact, it probably isn't.) I'm going to use it as a starting point, but it is a slight caveat. I know it doesn't have to be exact, and that this is more for me than for any other scientists hoping to recreate my results. But I love the exactness scientists use when setting up an experiment. I like having data. I hate math, but I was pretty good at statistics, once upon a time. (Mmmm gotta love those p-values!)

I know not to focus on the weight (because Severine, thank you!), but I do want to see what happens to it. My scale is the most scientific measurment I have.

Thank you so so much to everyone who found this thread and commented already. You're all so amazing and nice and amazingly nice and nicely amazing. Very cool people all around. Thank you for your support!

Now that that's all settled: "Let's-a go!"

Starting weight: 227.2 lbs

See ya Saturday!

• Like 4

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Good luck with the challenge!  I totally agree that myfitnesspal is really helpful - I am also tracking my food as part of my challenge.  And man, the McDonalds would be a killer for me - I had to stop cold turkey and I haven't gone back in 6+ years.  It's really addicting...

Good luck!

• Like 2

Rilla - Rebel, aspiring Scout/Adventurer

Hah I COMPLETELY understand the frustration of missing data. I really like graphs and charts and spreadsheets and such (both motivating and fun!) and when there's a gap in my records, even a small one, it really rankles. But you've still got a good starting point. I hope you see some motivating and validating results :)

My advice is to take pictures and measurements, too. You might not want them later, but if you do want them and you never took them, I guarantee you'll regret it. Plus sometimes you'll see results with the measuring tape even when the scale's not changing very much, so it can be encouraging.

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

7 hours ago, Severine said:

My advice is to take pictures and measurements, too. You might not want them later, but if you do want them and you never took them, I guarantee you'll regret it. Plus sometimes you'll see results with the measuring tape even when the scale's not changing very much, so it can be encouraging.

I second this advice. :)

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

I clicked because I like your username. I'm sticking around for the biking and writing goals. I tried writing earlier this year, but I after working in front of a computer all day, I just don't have the energy for it. So I'm very impressed by people who actually do write. I've also got a new bike, so I'm following lto's of people with biking goals.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Following along. :) 

The weight fluctuations can be funny in a way. I weigh myself at the gym (usually 5 days a week), after my workout and before I eat or drink anything. I figure this way I am using the same scale and my body is as consistent as it is going to get. I've found that I'll stay at the same weight for several days straight, then BOOM, 2-3 pounds gone overnight. The next day I'll usually have rebounded slightly, .5-1 pound maybe, then that's my new normal for the next several days. So much for slow and steady. :) 

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Same thing happens to me sometimes, @Bookish Badger - except that I weigh in the morning first thing after getting up. I track my weight on a graph and I look at the trend line, not the individual weigh-ins. Individual days can go up and down, but it's the direction of the trend that matters!

• Like 3

On 6/13/2016 at 9:16 PM, Severine said:

Yes.  These are great.  And measurements will probably change more at the beginning than your weight.  

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Week One Check In

Nutrition Goals:

Thus far, I'm rocking it. I've managed to track everything every day and eat my veggies. I usually manage to make it under my calorie goal, as well, but that isn't explicitly part of the challenge so I haven't been paying too much attention to my failures there.

Fitness Goals:

Though there have been some mis-adventures (silly thunderstorms) I biked three times this week, and all of those trips were far longer than four miles. I'm going to try to do at least as well next week, but I don't expect to do more than three trips a week. Maybe?

Life Goals:

The writing is easily the easiest challenge I've set for myself. Getting the word count isn't honestly the hard part. The hard part is forcing myself to keep writing in one document every day. I have so many documents... some with multiple stories in them... but I've been consistently contributing to the same story every day for the past week, so that's really great for me.

Thus far, as far as my specific goals, I'm doing very well for myself. (Perhaps too well? Did I set the bar too low?)

However my main quest is specifically to lose weight, so I have to report the difference in my weight from the beginning of the week till now. Drum roll please...

Main Quest:

I've lost 2.6 lbs.

Ta-da! Yay! I did a lot of worrying yesterday about what I had eaten, but that turned out to be dumb. Here I am, 2.6 lbs lighter and somewhat smarter.

I also have my measurments, but since I didn't take beginning measurments (stupid me) I don't have anything to compare them to.

Anyway, so far so good, right?

• Like 5

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

22 minutes ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Week One Check In

Nutrition Goals:

Thus far, I'm rocking it. I've managed to track everything every day and eat my veggies. I usually manage to make it under my calorie goal, as well, but that isn't explicitly part of the challenge so I haven't been paying too much attention to my failures there.

Fitness Goals:

Though there have been some mis-adventures (silly thunderstorms) I biked three times this week, and all of those trips were far longer than four miles. I'm going to try to do at least as well next week, but I don't expect to do more than three trips a week. Maybe?

Life Goals:

The writing is easily the easiest challenge I've set for myself. Getting the word count isn't honestly the hard part. The hard part is forcing myself to keep writing in one document every day. I have so many documents... some with multiple stories in them... but I've been consistently contributing to the same story every day for the past week, so that's really great for me.

Thus far, as far as my specific goals, I'm doing very well for myself. (Perhaps too well? Did I set the bar too low?)

However my main quest is specifically to lose weight, so I have to report the difference in my weight from the beginning of the week till now. Drum roll please...

Main Quest:

I've lost 2.6 lbs.

Ta-da! Yay! I did a lot of worrying yesterday about what I had eaten, but that turned out to be dumb. Here I am, 2.6 lbs lighter and somewhat smarter.

I also have my measurments, but since I didn't take beginning measurments (stupid me) I don't have anything to compare them to.

Anyway, so far so good, right?

Yaay! The hard work for the first week paid off!!! Good for you! :)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

First I want to say, great first week! :D

Then when it comes to your goals. Does each goal stretch you in some way? Are you doing something slightly new with each goals? If you are, then your goals are definitely fine, and they might be fine even if they haven't changed since the last couple of week because it takes time to create a new normal. It is important to let new habits truly form so when life comes steamrolling into you, you can still do some/most/all your new habits because they are so ingrained.

At least that is my take. Plus, this is only week 1, three weeks to go!

• Like 2

On 6/18/2016 at 9:41 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

It's good to set a baseline that you can work from.  And often the first few weeks are not too bad.  Then old habits and outsiders will manifest to tempt you from your new path.  

If at the end of 4 weeks, you're still rocking it, you can push yourself a bit more.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

It's good to set a baseline that you can work from.  And often the first few weeks are not too bad.  Then old habits and outsiders will manifest to tempt you from your new path.  

If at the end of 4 weeks, you're still rocking it, you can push yourself a bit more.  

Thank you. 

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."