Jane Eyre is starting a Level 1 Challenge

On 6/18/2016 at 8:41 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I'm doing very well for myself. (Perhaps too well? Did I set the bar too low?)

I'm just going to sort of second what's already been said. But in my experience, I often go one week with basic goals, meet them and think "I'm a boss! I can do ALL THE THINGS." Then I try, fail miserably, and am back to square one. I think keep up the same goals, especially because you are seeing results (WOOT WOOT 2.6 lbs DOWN?! You're a bombshell). 

I felt the same way last week and over the weekend I turned stuff over in my head. This week hit me like a train and it has been more difficult to do basic things. So keep up the good work! after this month you won't even have to think about those things you're working on, they'll come naturally. Then I would recommend bumping it up a level. 

Love your updates, you're so entertaining and inspiring. Thank you for your posts! Keep on keepin on! 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

Congrats on how well everything is going!!

giphy.gif

Like other people said, I think it's better to set goals that are reachable, and set yourself up to gain momentum by solidifying those good habits. Once they feel automatic, it's a great idea to push further, but if you try to do everything from the beginning you risk being overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Just to chime in along with what others have already said, I find that when I think I've got a new habit nailed is when I should be afraid - very afraid. Because my brain is sneaky and just waiting for me to let my guard down! 

When it realizes it can't deflect me from my initial "get out of my way I've got a GOAL" enthusiasm, it pretends to go along with the new routine just to lull me into a sense of false confidence. Then two weeks, or two months, or whatever later, it will oh-so-quietly suggest that I skip the new habit, just this once. This usually comes when I am overwhelmed and the suggestion makes sense. And I really do think that it will be just-this-once, because at the time it is. And then I go back to my new habit, but then the skip suggestion comes again, when it is less justifiable. And again.

And the next thing I know, I haven't been to the gym for 6 months and I'm eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dinner, and no idea when the hell I got back to this point.

TL:DR: Keep your new habit changes small, enforce them consistently with yourself, and never turn your back on your brain!

• Like 4

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

5 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

And the next thing I know, I haven't been to the gym for 6 months and I'm eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dinner, and no idea when the hell I got back to this point.

TL:DR: Keep your new habit changes small, enforce them consistently with yourself, and never turn your back on your brain!

So apparently we are actually the same person :P  That is way too familiar!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Week Two Check In!

First though, I want to say thank you so much! (and merci beacoup and grazie mille and muchas gracias!) to everyone of you who's been commenting... I don't know why but this topic just slipped my mind so I didn't see these responses until about two minutes ago and, damn, they are wonderful. So I will be better about checking this thread in the future.

Nutrition Goals: I FORGOT TO EAT VEGGIES... one day this week. That seems like such a little thing, but it does bring up something I hadn't thought about before. Grading myself. Now that I'm not doing 100%, I have to figure out what grade I do have. And I haven't figured that out yet.  I did track every day, so that's still at 100%, but I guess my veggies are at 93%? (13/14*100)

Fitness Goals: I did bike twice this week, but I didn't get in that extra trip I was hoping for.  I met my goal, but I'm not as happy because last week I went beyond and I did only the bare minimum this week. On the other hand, it's sort of solves the question about whether these goals were too easy, doesn't it? (It also confounds the grading problem. Because this is a weekly goal, it's kind of weighted? Like forgetting to eat a vegetable is bad but forgetting to bike would be DEVASTATING to my eventual grade. I'm not sure I like that.) 100%

Life Goals: Still the easiest. Even if I'm not entirely sure where this book is going. But I kind of like that. It's almost more fun to think I'm discovering this book instead of creating it. 100%

Main Quest: 2.2lbs gone! According to my measurements, mostly from my chest and boobs. This may be TMI, but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to know that boobs can actually get smaller. I was one of those unfortunate girls who was already in c-cup by 7th grade. It would be really nice to go down a size for once. (And be able to wear button downs that actually fit.)

• Like 5

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

14 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

It's almost more fun to think I'm discovering this book instead of creating it. 100%

Isn't it fun? This is how I write. I usually know loosely where I'm going and then just write; except when I write mystery, then I have absolutely no idea who's done it and that is almost scary but scary fun.

14 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Main Quest: 2.2lbs gone! According to my measurements, mostly from my chest and boobs. This may be TMI, but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to know that boobs can actually get smaller. I was one of those unfortunate girls who was already in c-cup by 7th grade. It would be really nice to go down a size for once. (And be able to wear button downs that actually fit.)

Yay! Plus, yes breast has fat too, so they can become smaller if you loose weight.

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

20 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I'm not as happy because last week I went beyond and I did only the bare minimum this week.

First, WOOHOO! You are doing great! Keep it up!

Second, you met your goal of biking twice a week. 100% achievement! Please don't get caught up in scope creep, where you start thinking that if a little is good, more must be better. That way frustration and rage-quitting lies. 

Maybe more will be better eventually, but right now you're just trying to build some bike riding into your weekly routine. It should be easy - so easy that you have little to no excuse for doing less. So if it feels too easy, IMO you're right on target. 

And you lost weight! Clearly you are doing it right.

• Like 4

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

1 hour ago, Bookish Badger said:

First, WOOHOO! You are doing great! Keep it up!

Second, you met your goal of biking twice a week. 100% achievement! Please don't get caught up in scope creep, where you start thinking that if a little is good, more must be better. That way frustration and rage-quitting lies. 

Maybe more will be better eventually, but right now you're just trying to build some bike riding into your weekly routine. It should be easy - so easy that you have little to no excuse for doing less. So if it feels too easy, IMO you're right on target. 

And you lost weight! Clearly you are doing it right.

Thank you so, so much. I don't know if I'll ever stop worrying I'm not doing enough, but this is super, super, super helpful.

• Like 4

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

On 6/25/2016 at 10:31 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Whooo! You're doing great in all your goals so good job! Also I totally get the button down shirt thing and its so frustrating cause some of them are so cute!

Keep up the great work! <3

• Like 1

My Character ~~ My Log ~~ Formerly Kelley Gammell

Nicely done! Sounds like you had another good week. :) and so nice you can see measurable improvements! That's gotta be encouraging. As a member of the miniscule breast clan, I personally am not looking forward to that aspect of losing weight... but it is very refreshing to see a new take on it. Thank you for sharing your story! 

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

On June 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Nutrition Goals: I FORGOT TO EAT VEGGIES... one day this week. That seems like such a little thing, but it does bring up something I hadn't thought about before. Grading myself. Now that I'm not doing 100%, I have to figure out what grade I do have. And I haven't figured that out yet.  I did track every day, so that's still at 100%, but I guess my veggies are at 93%? (13/14*100)

93% is still a passing grade. Anyhow, think of it this way--you remembered to eat your veggies six days this week!

• Like 5

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Week Three Check In!

So um yeah. Sneak peak/summary: I did everything this week, but I did only the exact bare minimum. I didn't really push myself very hard.

Nutrition Goals: I always tracked and I always ate veggies this week, so my tracking grade is still 100% and my veggie grade is 95% (20/21*100). I did go over my calorie goal today. It's not part of my challenge to maintain the calorie goal I have in MyFitnessPal, (next challenge?) but I do think it's worth mentioning.

Exercise Goals: I biked twice this week, but I only biked twice this week. And the only other exercise I did was kayak, which is... questionable? I did these bodyweight workouts last week! I was excited about them! Where did all that excitement go?

Life Goals: Again, I did all the writing, but I feel like I spent a lot more of my writing this time checking my word count than actually writing. I think this could be solved by skipping ahead a bit to the part where the plot gets really thick, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I've never really been good with time skips in my stories.

Main Quest: I lost 1.8 pounds this week.* So I'm still on track to make those eight total pounds next week. But this week was easily the hardest week so far. So, time to suck it up and make that final push toward the finish line, right?

*I have now taken my measurements 3 weeks in a row and have concluded that I am bad at taking measurments. This week my bust measurement increased, but all my other measurements, including my chest measurement, decreased. How does my bust go up but my chest go down? That's weird.

• Like 3

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

And you just stumbled on the secret fitness website almost never tells you about. (I can't remember if NerdFitness does or not.)

Sometimes it is just a slug. Sometimes the feeling isn't there and you do it because you know it will be good for you long term or because the challenge helps push you.

I think this really shows you have the right goals because when you aren't feeling it is one of the easiest times to stop and you didn't. And you didn't skimp on your goals.

6 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I feel like I spent a lot more of my writing this time checking my word count than actually writing.

Gosh, do I know this feeling at times. My best advice is to try and get deeper into the character (I'm not saying you aren't, but we can always be deeper, right?) so you forget what is around you. Easier said than done at times. What I usually do is I use our five senses (if you write about a human) to really get into the setting and the character by his/her reaction to all those sensory inputs.

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Sorry I've been away for so long! I agree with the others that you don't want to fall into that trap of being disappointed when you meet your goals. I mean, it's important to pay attention to your mood, so if you feel like you're just going through the motions and lost your inspiration it's important to listen to that, BUT that being said don't get into the perfectionist cycle of succeeding but being disappointed that you didn't do even more. You met your goals, and that's good. Sure there's room for improvement (there always is) but that doesn't invalidate the value of what you accomplished.

I'm delighted to hear your writing is going well overall and don't get down on yourself for having a day or two when it feels like pulling teeth. That's part of the creative cycle, I think. It won't always feel easy, but the routine to write every day is still important.

Congrats on the weight loss! And oh how I hear you on the breast thing - I would be really happy to go down a cup size because it'd be nice to be able to wear a button-down shirt without having to use a safety pin to stop it gaping right at the bust. 

• Like 4

On July 2, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

So um yeah. Sneak peak/summary: I did everything this week, but I did only the exact bare minimum. I didn't really push myself very hard.

Some weeks seem more inspired than others, but I applaud you for sticking with it and meeting your goals even if you weren't feeling it. Peace.

• Like 3

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

On 7/3/2016 at 3:26 AM, Dagger said:

Gosh, do I know this feeling at times. My best advice is to try and get deeper into the character (I'm not saying you aren't, but we can always be deeper, right?) so you forget what is around you. Easier said than done at times. What I usually do is I use our five senses (if you write about a human) to really get into the setting and the character by his/her reaction to all those sensory inputs.

This is excellent advice. I'd be the first to admit that I get really focused on actions and dialogues, instead of settings and emotions. (And sometimes I'll describe emotions as facial expressions instead of emotions. Instead of "She was worried,' I"ll write something about the position of her eyebrows... I might be too big a fan of Lie to Me.)

On 7/3/2016 at 11:13 AM, Severine said:

Sorry I've been away for so long! I agree with the others that you don't want to fall into that trap of being disappointed when you meet your goals. I mean, it's important to pay attention to your mood, so if you feel like you're just going through the motions and lost your inspiration it's important to listen to that, BUT that being said don't get into the perfectionist cycle of succeeding but being disappointed that you didn't do even more. You met your goals, and that's good. Sure there's room for improvement (there always is) but that doesn't invalidate the value of what you accomplished.

I think it's a balancing act. You have to be enough of a perfectionist to push yourself, but you also have to take the time to be proud of your accomplishments. The problem is I feel weird being proud of my accomplishments, like one of my puritan ancestors is sitting on my shoulder whispering about pride being a cardinal sin. (I call him Thomas, 'cause that was his name.) So, I'm kinda depending on you guys for that. You're all very good at it, so thank you so, so much!

• Like 4

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

3 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

(And sometimes I'll describe emotions as facial expressions instead of emotions. Instead of "She was worried,' I"ll write something about the position of her eyebrows... I might be too big a fan of Lie to Me.)

I try to do that a lot too. I also want to try and use more full body language to convey emotion. :)

3 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

The problem is I feel weird being proud of my accomplishments, like one of my puritan ancestors is sitting on my shoulder whispering about pride being a cardinal sin.

For me, this exact same thing comes from the Scandinavian society and Jantelagen (wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante). It isn't like Jantelagen is taught or anything (or a real law), or that anyone believes it is that great. It is just how it has worked for a long time.

• Like 2

Hey, I think you're doing great! I appreciate that you put in what your specifically eat each day, because it gives me ideas to incorporate into my meals! And if you're losing weight, you're doing something right, so don't beat yourself up! 

Also, love the story updates. : ) 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 7/5/2016 at 10:37 PM, durfette said:

Hey, I think you're doing great! I appreciate that you put in what your specifically eat each day, because it gives me ideas to incorporate into my meals! And if you're losing weight, you're doing something right, so don't beat yourself up! 

Also, love the story updates. : ) 

Ah, I feel like I haven't been doing as much of that recently. But I haven't been cooking as much recently, so I don't feel too bad... I guess?

On 7/4/2016 at 5:29 PM, Dagger said:

I try to do that a lot too. I also want to try and use more full body language to convey emotion. :)

For me, this exact same thing comes from the Scandinavian society and Jantelagen (wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante). It isn't like Jantelagen is taught or anything (or a real law), or that anyone believes it is that great. It is just how it has worked for a long time.

Sometimes I think it's great. Like when my POV character is looking at other people. But when it's my POV character's own emotions, it doesn't make sense that they'd be so focused on their facial expression, but I do it anyway. Often becasue I can't think of a way to describe the feeling of a particular emotion that hasn't been used before. (Fiery rage, ice cold fear, etc.)

Okay, those ten laws are kind of creepy to me, mostly because I was imagining them being recited in unison by a bunch of shadowy people just outside a spotlight I am sitting under. Also, I am Bucky Barnes in the zappy chair of evil in this particular imagining, though I'm not sure why? I'm aware they're not creepy as long as you understand that you are part of us.

Thomas My Personal Puritan Ghost also keeps me from being able to write sex scenes. :uncomfortableness: Which isn't really a problem until you sign up for a fic exchange and literally the only prompt you giftee gave is a list of characters and "sex pollen."

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Week Four Update.

(Yes, I know this is the last day, but I'll do a separate post summing up the whole thing. I haven't done my math yet, so I don't actually know if I won or not.) 

Nutrition Goals: Ugh, I ate so poorly this week. Yes, I ate at least one serving of veggies every day, and yes, I tracked, but I ate soooooooooo poorly. Just eating a couple of carrots does not negate almond paste pastries. (Almond paste is soooo good though. *slaps self* No. Focus. Do not heed marzipan's siren call!)

Exercise Goal: Got my two biking trips in, though only barely. I got rained out on the day I planned for the second one, so I went the next day, and only a short trip. More than four miles, but not much more. Nothing compared to the 11.6 miles I went on Sunday. (Still the longest trip I've taken so far.)

Life Goal: Wrote EVERYDAY! Whoohoo! Sudden, unplanned for character development! Yay? I'll say yay. Yay.

• Like 4

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

END OF CHALLENGE (If you can, do me a favor and put a bit of mental echo on "END OF CHALLENGE." That's what I do.)

Nutrition Goals:

1. Track Everything: 28/28 days 100% BUT 2% penalty because, last Sunday, I realized there were at least two things I forgot to track. (Like, things I nibbled on in week three... I don't remember what they were.) But since I know there were things I forgot to track, I'm docking myself a little.

Final Grade: 98%

2. Veggie Every Day: 27/28 days

Final Grade: 96%

Exercise Goal:

3. Bike 4 or More Miles Twice a Week: 8/8 bike trips

Final Grade: 100%

Life Goal:

4. Write 500 Words In the Same Document Daily: 28/28 days

Final Grade: 100%

Main Quest:

Weight Lost: 6.8 lbs lost/8lbs goal

Final Grade: 85%

Overall grade will be caluclated by multiplying the Main Quest percentage by two (thus weighting it) and adding that to each of the goal percentages, then dividing by 6 to get the average. I consider any percentage over 85% to be passing, but if you guys think that's too lienient, I'd be willing to go up quite a bit.

ANYWAY:

Final Grade: (If you can read that in the announcer voice from Mortal Kombat, that'd be cool.)

94%!!!

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/9/99/BIG_YES.gif/revision/latest?cb=20121216064032

Yeah, it's not exactly a flawless victory (next time) but I still consider that a win!

Right? ? ?

• Like 4

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."