Akuyo becomes a father

14 hours ago, Akuyo said:

Really excited to get started with my UP3 tomorrow.. I never thought I would be one of "those people" but I am definitely feeling good about this. The last few times I have tried I think I was going at it for the wrong reasons. I was doing the work out of a feeling of necessity, but now I am letting myself just have fun doing it. I haven't had a stomach ache since coming back here and only 1 bad headache. Those are major improvements for me. 

I'm glad to hear things are going so well! :D:D

The best part about things that are fun is that doing them is also a reward! :D That's one of the reasons I fell in love with the mini-challenge last go-around, it added the level of friendly competition that made getting those extra few minutes in total worth the effort. (Although these forums are a bit addicting, I need to make sure I balance posting with actual doing :lol:)

• Like 1

OK, now that I have ready your awesome adventures to date, I have some thoughts...

1) AGED WHITE TEA... what is this magic?

2) Your wife sounds adorable and hilarious (human submarine...heheh)

3) You are all in, congrats!

4) Remember, baby steps towards health will be even more important when Landon Wilson (soooooo cute) arrives.

We've got your back, and you've totally got this!

My wife is amazing and crazy in her own ways for sure. (She married me, thats probably a commitable offense)

Aged White Tea is a White Peony tea that is steamed and left to ferment for 5+ years. The pack that I have is 8 years old. The longer it ages it is usually stronger/a little sweeter (If I remember all of the details correctly) I can point you to the store I use, but it is local and I am unsure on how/if they would deliver.

My tea hack is that I usually drink it hot right after starting to chew a piece of gum which gives it a little extra sweetness since I don't add sugar.. 

• Like 1

Took a headfirst dive off of the eating healthy train today. Had my first bad headache of this challenge and instead of trying to drink water or do something else I dove into a 32 oz Mountain Dew and two Beefy Crunch Burritos from Taco Bell. I know that its all going to work out in the end though. I at least recognize these things now.

Got my UP3 today, struggling with it on my wrist because I am not used to anything being there. I'll get used to it though.

Lots of baby stuff came in the mail today, I can't believe there are only 4 days left..

• Like 1

So.. The wife did the vacuuming and dusting while I was at work... This does not count..

On an unrelated note to that but a question thats been eating at me lately.. Anyone with experience with Vibrams? They've been suggested to me for my TRX workouts/walk/runs but I'm trying to convince myself that there will be a big enough difference to justify the price. I'm looking at the KMD Sport LS version if I were to get one. For reference I currently do TRX barefoot and have been walking in awful nike sandals.. no running as of yet and I do NOT own running shoes.

• Like 1

I see absolutely no point in wearing shoes to do your TRX stuff. Walking is awesome and you don't need any special shoes for that. But if your current shoes really suck and you do want to replace them then I'd say any minimal shoe is better than a squishy shoe. It doesn't have to be Vibrams, just anything with a flat sole, zero heel raise and big toe box. The thing to consider is that you'll have to transition to a minimal shoe so you don't injure yourself. That applies to both running and walking. Also, I don't know what this person said in terms of benefits, but you probably won't see any immediate results. It's not like the shoes will automatically make you walk or run better and more efficiently. You'll have to actively make changes and see them more as a long term investment to whole body health due to improved alignment and mobility. Long story short you don't need expensive stuff if you don't want them and walking with minimal shoes > waking with squishy shoes >> not walking at all or getting injured. Also you can always walk barefoot, which is even better. :)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I see absolutely no point in wearing shoes to do your TRX stuff. Walking is awesome and you don't need any special shoes for that. But if your current shoes really suck and you do want to replace them then I'd say any minimal shoe is better than a squishy shoe. It doesn't have to be Vibrams, just anything with a flat sole, zero heel raise and big toe box. The thing to consider is that you'll have to transition to a minimal shoe so you don't injure yourself. That applies to both running and walking. Also, I don't know what this person said in terms of benefits, but you probably won't see any immediate results. It's not like the shoes will automatically make you walk or run better and more efficiently. You'll have to actively make changes and see them more as a long term investment to whole body health due to improved alignment and mobility. Long story short you don't need expensive stuff if you don't want them and walking with minimal shoes > waking with squishy shoes >> not walking at all or getting injured. Also you can always walk barefoot, which is even better. :)

^^ This

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Akuyo said:

Took a headfirst dive off of the eating healthy train today. Had my first bad headache of this challenge and instead of trying to drink water or do something else I dove into a 32 oz Mountain Dew and two Beefy Crunch Burritos from Taco Bell. I know that its all going to work out in the end though. I at least recognize these things now.

Got my UP3 today, struggling with it on my wrist because I am not used to anything being there. I'll get used to it though.

Lots of baby stuff came in the mail today, I can't believe there are only 4 days left..

Less of a headfirst dive, more of a pause at one of the connecting stations because everyone has to get off and stretch their legs now and again! :) It took me a while (And I'm still learning) to see failures as just a different kind of forward movement, so I'm so happy that's how it looked to you! :D *cheers you on*

I've found it helps sometimes if you do a task you know will be distracting right after you put it on. Then your brain is so focused on the other stuff it relegates the 'what is this weird feeling on my wrist?' into sort of a background noise. Like you don't notice the AC/fans on until someone mentions them again. :)

YAY for almost-baby days! :D:D

As for the shoes, the main reason I am wondering for TRX is because I am the ONLY one who does it barefoot. As far as running/walking I know it would take a while to get used to new shoes regardless of style. Barefoot walking or running is out though because my feet are pansy feet. I have like no pain tolerance.. lol. Maybe I could ease into that also, but I don't see that being a quick transition. 

Forgot breakfast this morning.. may try to eat a bowl of cereal before I leave for work and then take some slow cooked brisket to work for some lunch. And I may steal the tub of mixed nuts for a snack. Not all of them for sure though.

• Like 2

Lessons learned on Day 1 of the 'real' challenge:

Challenge 1: Cutting the crap

I've been doing poorly on my food intake as far as where I am getting my food. I am trying to order 'healthy options' wherever we end up, but I know I could do better. I think I need to refocus on my first goal a bit. I know it was only to cook 1 meal per week, but food tracking has me feeling bad about what I eat.... lol

Challenge 2:Play 60

I have learned that on days that I go to TRX (Tuesdays and Thursdays) I am good at being active. BUT I am not being active on other days, falling into the trap of 'Oh but Tuesday I'll go to TRX so its fine'. This needs to change. To this end I will re-evaluate this goal a bit. Deciding if I should add in a walk/run x minutes or the beginner bodyweight workout to my progression. TRX is a full body work out so I will do rest days/walking days on the days after TRX. 

Challenge 3:Adulting

This is going to be very important in just 3 days.. Before the baby can come home I want to have the living room vacuumed well (Its the only carpeted room in the house...) I'll be adding to that, my car needs cleaned out (To fit the baby car-seat) and our room needs cleaned up a bit, for when we come home.

Positives to take from 0 week -

I've bought and have begun using my UP3.. I bought into the NF Academy and am slowly beginning to start progressing there. I am more aware/conscious of the poor health decisions I am making. (I know I have said those words over and over again since I started coming here in 2014, I need to DO something with being more aware..) I have actually made a meal! It wasn't quite what I planned on, but it was still good. I have also asked the wife to help me pick up a few more ingredients for cooking attempt #2 - Stuffed Peppers with Beef and Bacon. I signed up for the mini-challenge. I must do my part!

Thanks for sticking with me through 0 week, now lets get the real party started!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Akuyo said:

I've been doing poorly on my food intake as far as where I am getting my food. I am trying to order 'healthy options' wherever we end up, but I know I could do better. I think I need to refocus on my first goal a bit. I know it was only to cook 1 meal per week, but food tracking has me feeling bad about what I eat.... lol

Do you feel bad because you over analyze what you've eaten?  Or do you feel bad because you've eaten crap and the log shows it?  Ultimately, I think the adage "what gets measured gets improved" is fairly accurate.  I would recommend you keep tracking.  Hopefully, the daily reminder will slowly steer you into better patterns.  Then you can do a 6 months chart and see the progress you've made.  Diet is such a dominant part of progress.  Also, while your plan to make stuffed peppers sounds delicious, try to also add some really simple recipes to your repertoire.  90 minutes of cooking every day is going to be really difficult to maintain post baby.  Yesterday, my dinner consisted of some ground beef, a sweet potato, broccoli, and peas.  Easy, fairly quick, and pretty tasty.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Grymm said:

Or do you feel bad because you've eaten crap and the log shows it?

Definitely this. And I am going to keep tracking for sure. It seems like I am always over on sodium for the day but well under calories/fat/proteins.. I am sure that 'some' of that is just that I am not using the most accurate representation of the food I am eating. But not all of it. Tracking at all is definitely a step in the right direction, and forcing myself to be honest on it and track everything, even the terrible Taco Hell burritos and Mountain Dews.

As for the rest of your food suggestions I totally see where you are coming from, I just really have no clue where to start most of the time, so a lot of it is seeing a recipe that sounds good and convincing myself I can make it..

Where I want to end up: Weekly grocery shopping/Batch cooking day in order to be able to take different foods to work each day. My issues that I foresee is that I eat about every 4 hours when I am awake (Except breakfast, I tend to skip breakfast... shame on me I know!) So I need to find healthy foods that I can eat in those times. I also eat late at night (around 10:30 because I get off of work at 10:00 PM)

A typical day for me for food is as follows: Some kind of fast food lunch around 1:45 - 2:30, Some kind of Dinner (usually Panera or Equivalent) around 6:00, snacks throughout work -usually trail mix and a Mountain Dew or 3. And then IF the Wife has cooked or is hungry(fast food) another meal around 10:30 or 11. Bed time after midnight usually.

With that being said - I have mostly avoided that trap since starting my 0 Week work, not completely. BUT I have only had 1 soda a day on the 3 days that I have had any, which is HUGE for me. And I have done much better at bringing food from home for my work 'dinner'. 

Sorry for the wall of text! 

• Like 1

I hear you on the sodium.  I've started to ignore sodium.  I don't put salt on or in anything, but if I eat one thing I didn't personally make, it has 2000mg of sodium.  It's an effective and cheap preservative, so they dump it in everything.  I get a lot of potassium in my diet, and I drink an obnoxious amount of water (regularly 1.5gal+).  That and sweating like a rain cloud helps a bit.  If you eat anything from a drive through, you will go over your sodium for the day.  If you don't have blood pressure issues, I would let it slide for now while you work on other things.

Cooking is a skill that takes time to learn and feel comfortable with.  Do you like sweet potatoes?  You can microwave one in 8 minutes.  Poke some holes in it with a fork, nuke it, cut it in half long ways, add some butter (ack! more sodium!) and cinnamon.  It's pretty good.  I just started eating them recently.

Over time, you build a tool box of cooking tricks.

• Like 2

Since buying a water bottle to take to work I usually drink 96+ oz of water a day, which has replaced my soda habit pretty well. I struggle actually getting to my calories for the day (Which seems off to me, I might add) but I am sure that eating at a calorie deficit doesn't much matter if you're eating garbage for the calories you do eat.

Sushi and Blueberries/Strawberries for lunch, a bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch for breakfast, and a bag of mixed nuts for a snack, today seems pretty good for food so far. =D

• Like 2

Nice day on the food! I also started cooking like you, in that I saw recipes and wanted to try them. I also experienced what Grymm mentioned, where babies came along and being in the kitchen for longer than 20 min was so difficult. Not even counting the fact that I had to breastfeed, you are just generally exhausted and brains dont seem to work as well at first. I messed up some recipes or forgot ingredients during that time and wasted some food, which made me cry, lol. And then we would go out to eat.

Now, I have given the batch cooking a try for a few months here and there, but I tried to do it for too long (almost a month) and got burned out. Wanting to get back to that but at two week intervals maybe.

Do you eat leftovers or are open to having the same food for multiple days? Because you can totally pre-make lunches with a bunch of chicken breasts cooked ahead, portioned out in individual containers with some frozen veggies and maybe a sweet potato or other starchy type to microwave alongside. Super easy, fast to take and eat. You could do it maybe 3 of the 5 work days, and rotate what sauce or condiment you use on the chicken so it isnt as boring?

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 1
On 6/12/2016 at 5:03 PM, Akuyo said:

As for the shoes, the main reason I am wondering for TRX is because I am the ONLY one who does it barefoot. 

So what? :P 

On 6/13/2016 at 3:58 AM, Akuyo said:

Lessons learned on Day 1 of the 'real' challenge:

I think cooking 1 meal per week is a great goal as it's very achievable and success feeds success. If you try and change too many things at once you're more likely to fail. Having said that it's great that you're being more mindful of your eating overall. But you don't necessarily have to make an already really good goal more challenging. I'd say keep the goal as it is and step up the difficulty next challenge!

17 hours ago, Grymm said:

If you don't have blood pressure issues, I would let it slide for now while you work on other things.

If you don't have blood pressure issues you don't have to think about salt at all. It's another one of those OMG you're eating salt you're going to die things.

Overall great job on week zero! You've learned some good stuff now keep kicking butt! :D

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Akuyo said:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Tomorrow is the day.... 5:30 AM hospital visit... I'm so not ready for this. lol

Sleep well!  You may not sleep that many hours consecutively for quite some time.

Its Delivery Day! Its 1am here as I woke up for the first nighttime feeding. My little one is old enough now he doesnt wake me up at 11 anymore and holds out till around midnight-1. Next wake up is around 3am, then 5am. Weeeeeeee~ x_x

Looking forward to that moment when your heart is melded into physical form in the shape of your child! Congrats ahead. =)

Sent by my Navi-powered device!