The Scarlet Pimpernel's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in 5 Parts

Alrighty!! Back from Hawaii, and high time for an update!

Week 1 (Hawaii): The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Eat as healthy as possible at Milliways: I'll be eating out a lot in Hawaii, but while enjoying the delicious food, I'll try to pick healthier options when possible

• Well, I wouldn't say as healthy as possible, but I did make some good choices here and there. One of my big problems is that my whole life I've eaten scraps - I don't want to waste food, so I'll finish off others' (if I know them well and it's not too chewed up ; ). My wife was sick a fair amount, so when she couldn't finish her food I ate what was left. That's a habit I'll need to work on breaking. I only gained 4 lbs though, so I stayed under 270 which I count as a win!!

Search for the ruler of the universe with Zarniwoop: getting at least a half hour of dedicated exercise each day

• I actually did pretty well with this one! Most days I went on a walk in the mornings, sometimes for up to an hour and a half! It's so nice to walk with such beautiful scenery. I also went on a bike ride, and did some swimming. The days I didn't get dedicated exercise I got a lot of exercise from walking around all day. I even got some pulls in for the mini, so that was good.

So all in all, Hawaii was great. I miss the ocean and beaches, but it's good to be home and getting back into my routine a bit more. As for this week...

tumblr_n1ptndygTF1r8n7qlo1_500.gif

Week 2 (Hawaii/Edmonton): Life, the Universe and Everything

Discover the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything: Get at least 42 minutes of exercise each day in a combination of walking, biking, and body weight workouts

• This part hasn't been going so well this week. I've been getting some activity - went to the park with my daughter and got a few pulls in for the mini, and today I went through the Academy calibration and did the exercises to make sure I actually could, so that was a bit of a workout in itself. It put me at level 3, so we'll go from there

Help Slartibartfast prevent the robots from assembling the Wikkit Gate: Eat full paleoish with no variances while in Edmonton

• This one is going better - it has only been a day and a half... but so far full paleoish. I even avoided a temptation tonight - I had to run out to get something at 7-11 for my wife, and the cookies looked sooooo good. But I avoided them. Hopefully the rest of the week will work out ok too!

tumblr_mdwiloxKmZ1rhk593o2_500.gif

• Like 2

Report for week 2:

Discover the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything: Get at least 42 minutes of exercise each day in a combination of walking, biking, and body weight workouts

• Not so great here. I did some core stuff for the mini almost every day, but the stuff I did for the academy calibration wrecked my legs haha. They're feeling better now, so hopefully this week will be better.

Help Slartibartfast prevent the robots from assembling the Wikkit Gate: Eat full paleoish with no variances while in Edmonton

• I did really well on this until yesterday, and even then I didn't go too crazy. I made some really good tomato soup, and I substituted the heavy cream out with coconut milk - it was really good!

So, part of the extra challenge recently is that my wife has been quite sick for the last little while - meaning more time with my daughter which is nice, but tough for exercise, and lots of not-so-healthy foods around. So that's something I'll need to work through for the next little while. I also got a new assignment at church, and school is starting again soon, so stress is building!! It should be ok though - I just need to make sure to keep prioritizing being healthy.

On a more positive note, I managed to lose a bit of weight this week, so heading back down to where I was before Hawaii!

• Like 1

Week 3: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Learn to fly with Fenchurch:

a7899c172aefb572924a2a941309acde.jpg

To learn to fly I will ride my bicycle each day to prepare for using it to commute in Week 4

Join the "Save the Humans Campaign"

ufwmwne.gif

I will save THIS human by eating paleoish with 4 or less variances.

Take Marvin to the mountains to see God's final message to His creation:

tumblr_md8z9bcowo1qh5qzao6_250.gif

We'll be living in Hinton Alberta (yay back to the mountains!) for the next four weeks while I'm doing a clinical elective for school. As such I'll have a few things to prepare. So I will do one thing each day to prepare for Hinton

Today wasn't great. We ran out of healthy food this morning, so I had some cereal bars, and just kind of kept eating not very paleo things all day. I wouldn't say I over ate though, so that's good at least. I also didn't get on the bike. That one might be a bit tough while my wife is sick, but I really want to get my "sea legs" so to speak before using it to commute next week. 

I did do something to get ready today though: I finally took off my winter tires! Yes I realize it's almost July... 

• Like 1

Learn to fly with Fenchurch: Ride my bicycle each day to prepare for using it to commute in Week 4

• So, this is still not happening unfortunately. Hard to find time away from the little one. I'll be doing it next week either way, but I hope I can get a bit more practice in

Join the "Save the Humans Campaign": Eat paleoish with 4 or less variances.

• Not counting Monday, which was somewhat of a disaster, I have done this so far with one variance, so looking pretty good!

Take Marvin to the mountains to see God's final message to His creation: Do one thing each day to prepare for Hinton

• So far so good! I have emailed my preceptor, found the key for my bike lock, got some swanky new dress shirts (because I'm a professional now lol) and finalized our housing. Now it's mostly just packing!

I've also been participating in the mini (yay leaderboard!). My exercise really hasn't been super great besides that, as explained above, but I hope to get back to it soon!!!

REPORT- Week 3: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Learn to fly with Fenchurch: Ride my bicycle each day to prepare for using it to commute in Week 4

• This didn't happen. At all. Boo. But I still plan to bike here in Hinton anyways!

Join the "Save the Humans Campaign": Eat paleoish with 4 or less variances.

• Not too bad. Over the weekend I did have a few more unhealthy things than planned with holiday celebrations and travelling, but I don't think I overdid it, which is good!

Take Marvin to the mountains to see God's final message to His creation: Do one thing each day to prepare for Hinton

• This one I actually did well! I got everything that was truly necessary done, and here we are! We drove up yesterday, and so far it's been great! It's so nice to be near the mountains again. We probably won't be able to go in to Jasper until the weekend after next, but it's just nice to smell the fresh air and see them on the horizon!

Overall not the best week, but with my wife being sick and everything to get ready I think it's alright. No weighing for the next few weeks while we're here (no bathroom scale!), but maybe that's a good thing to go by look and feel more for a bit. I'm hesitant to do squats for the mini, because last time I did squats where my AMRAP was less than 10 I only did like 5 and had trouble walking the next two days - and I'll need to be able to bike uphill to get home from work!!! 

Also, we went grocery shopping yesterday to stock up our kitchen for while we're here, and it was sooooo expensive!! You really underestimate all the foods you just have around the house for forever (like soy sauce and spices and things) and only have to buy every few months. It's a shock when you have to get them all at once!

Week 4 (Hinton): Mostly Harmless

Steal The Guide Mark II

tumblr_m5jvr5obYJ1rxd3q5o2_500.gif

In order to steal The Guide I will bike to and from work each weekday

Kill Agrajag (again)

tumblr_n674fp4ngE1r0h99wo1_500.gif

Agrajag will take the form of my food cravings and I will kill him by eating paleoish with 4 or less variances.

Only these two goals for the week, since I'll be getting used to my new clinical placement, and getting back into the working/school routine! With the paleoish, I'm going to do as best as I can, but since we're limited in what food we can buy (since we're only here for 3 weeks) there might have to be one or two exceptions. I brought some resistance bands with me, so I might try to do some upper body work too this week, but to start I want to focus on the biking for the challenge.

I successfully biked to and from work yesterday. Going uphill all the way home was a bit tough, but doable, and I stayed on the bike! 

I also got a surprise upper body workout by doing CPR in the emergency room at 2 in the morning! Fun times! I also managed not to eat like crap all night so that's good - no variances. 

Since I was on last night I'm not working today so no biking, but I'm going to try to take my daughter to the pool this afternoon. 

• Like 1

That's so cool that your biking to work! It's something I've been wanting to do for ages, but keep putting off. Mrs Phayze has this crazy idea that I'll get run over by a car, and her logic is difficult to argue with. ^^;

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Phayze said:

That's so cool that your biking to work! It's something I've been wanting to do for ages, but keep putting off. Mrs Phayze has this crazy idea that I'll get run over by a car, and her logic is difficult to argue with. ^^;

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

We're in a small town right now so it's a pretty short ride and the roads aren't too busy. I don't think I could do it at home haha. 

Unfortunately though I'm not sure I'll be able to do it here anymore either!!  :'(

Halfway between the clinic and the hospital today one of my pedals came off!! It looks like the bolt got completely stripped somehow :(. Anyways, I might try walking from now on, unless I can find a place here to fix it for not too much money... 

No CPR last night, so that's good I guess! Now that my bike is out of commission I might be able to get back to some squats and things though. I'll try to look today to see if I can get it fixed. I like walking, but it just means I have to get up 20 minutes earlier which I don't like as much haha. 

So I was kind of self-medicating with food today... I know emotional eating is not good, but unfortunately it often works for me short term, which makes it very hard to stop. I had a ton of sugary foods, then we went and got a ginormous (and incidentally delicious) pizza for dinner that we'll probably be eating for three days...

Ugh, falling off that wagon is always the worst. I dunno if you keep the sugary foods in your house, but is it a possibility to get rid of them and replace them with healthier alternatives? Like maybe some fruit you really like or something?

I dunno if it helps any, but when I get like that I tell myself I will think about it for ten minutes and then do it if I still need to. Then I think about whether I really want to get the snack (usually soda or something), how it'll make me feel now, how it'll make me feel later, which is more important to me, etc., and usually by the end of the 10 minutes I don't want it anymore.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Ugh, falling off that wagon is always the worst. I dunno if you keep the sugary foods in your house, but is it a possibility to get rid of them and replace them with healthier alternatives? Like maybe some fruit you really like or something?

I dunno if it helps any, but when I get like that I tell myself I will think about it for ten minutes and then do it if I still need to. Then I think about whether I really want to get the snack (usually soda or something), how it'll make me feel now, how it'll make me feel later, which is more important to me, etc., and usually by the end of the 10 minutes I don't want it anymore.

That's a great idea about thinking about it for a while! I'll have to try that. 

I wish I could just get rid of the bad stuff, but my wife gets it for her usually. When I'm on the ball I'm usually fine avoiding it and going for something healthier, but at times like this it becomes a problem!! 

• Like 1

Report - Week 4 (Hinton): Mostly Harmless

Steal The Guide Mark II -  Bike to and from work each weekday

• I had a hiccup in this one because on Wednesday my bike pedal fell off!!! I adapted though by walking to work after my bike broke.

Kill Agrajag (again) - Eat paleoish with 4 or less variances.

• This was a disaster. It started out when there was free subway at work. Then I started justifying one or two gummie worms here and there. Then as I mentioned above I hardcore ate my emotions and we got a giant pizza and a whole bunch of cookies that I kept eating the rest of the week. They're gone now (thank goodness), but unfortunately most of them are gone into my belly.

giphy.gif

It's like I had one of these machines all week!

• Like 1

hitchhiker.jpg

Challenge Report

Wow! That was some 5 weeks! I was all over the place geographically and in my ability to achieve my challenge goals:

Zero Week (Edmonton): The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

tumblr_msoqb5qUmg1st3jexo1_500.gif

Eat less than Zaphod Beeblebrox - eat strictly paleoish, with no variances.

Find Ford Prefect - Find a bike by the end of the week if possible, and ride it once I get it. Until then I will walk/run at least 3 times.

Escape the Vogons - Do a body weight workout 3x this week.

Don't forget your towel - Complete one thing on my pre-Hawaii list each day this week

I did pretty well this week! Stuck to paleoish, fixed up my bike, and got ready for Hawaii. The body weight workouts weren't so hot though.

Week 1 (Hawaii): The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

tumblr_inline_mf77gaXlqU1rv4831.gif

Eat as healthy as possible at Milliways - I'll be eating out a lot in Hawaii, but while enjoying the delicious food, I'll try to pick healthier options when possible

Search for the ruler of the universe with Zarniwoop - Get at least a half hour of dedicated exercise each day

Hawaii was great! I wouldn't necessarily say I always picked healthier options, but I never ate till I was sick like I am prone to do. And the exercise was wonderful - beautiful walks, some swimming and even some biking in there

giphy.gif

Discover the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything - Get at least 42 minutes of exercise each day in a combination of walking, biking, and body weight workouts

Help Slartibartfast prevent the robots from assembling the Wikkit Gate - Eat full paleoish with no variances while in Edmonton

This week wasn't so hot. I got some exercise, but not every day and usually not 42 minutes. I did alright with the diet, but fell off a bit on the weekend.

79d9b9a9e8e2bb8ab6aa2a1ca7f2eb18.gif

Learn to fly with Fenchurch - Ride my bicycle each day to prepare for using it to commute in Week 4

Join the "Save the Humans Campaign" - Eat paleoish with 4 or less variances.

I didn't get to ride my bike at all this week :( Paleoish was only ok. But I did do well in getting ready to leave.

Week 4 (Hinton): Mostly Harmless

tumblr_o0yp1h3ozg1twie0co1_500.gif

Steal The Guide Mark II - Bike to and from work each weekday

Kill Agrajag (again) - Eat paleoish with 4 or less variances.

My bike broke!! But I've been walking since then. Marvin the robot up there accurately described my diet this week...

There were some extra challenges this challenge (my wife being sick, some new responsibilities coming on me, etc.). I'd like to think I met them and adapted well, and in some cases I did, but I think my diet suffered the most. I do definitely find it harder both with eating and exercise when I'm not on my regular routine.

Well, onwards and upwards. I've been finding a disturbing trend recently in my challenges that the first week or two goes pretty well, but then slowly declines over the month. I need to find a way to kick the habit. I think next challenge will be simpler (I sure hope so at least!) because I'm not having to adapt to different circumstances as much. Maybe that will help me focus a bit. We're still here in Hinton for another couple of weeks, then heading back home. Once school starts again I'll be busier, but I'll also be more disciplined if history holds true. Hopefully that will help me stay on track!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's a great idea about thinking about it for a while! I'll have to try that. 

I wish I could just get rid of the bad stuff, but my wife gets it for her usually. When I'm on the ball I'm usually fine avoiding it and going for something healthier, but at times like this it becomes a problem!! 

I hope it helps!

Are there any things she likes that you could care less for? That helps a lot too. For instance, my boyfriend has a sweet tooth like me, but I rarely crave Oreos, so when he wants to have something sweet that I am not going to also hanker for, he'll grab some of those. It's not that I dislike Oreos--if he offers one, I'll take one--but I don't binge it like I might with ice cream or something else. 

As for your challenge, I think you did great! It sounds like you ran into some challenges, but we all do, and you did what you could to adapt. Great job!

• Like 1