• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly something something something

40 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

So today starts the guts of my challenge.  Yesterday was my last day of work for 9 weeks (well, maybe. OF COURSE I put in a proposal to do summer stuff - I may be incapable of actually taking an entire summer off - no answer yet, though, so we'll see). 

Happy Summer break! Ish! Nice one on the rainy walk, I could see myself wimping out, especially with rain! ;) Here's to work being over and being able to focus on you and your goals! :D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Reminder of my goals:

Lift.

Eat like a human being.

Mobility

Pick a program for after SL

Walk &/or clean one room each day, and do one of these things before internet on non-working weekdays

Dinner on the table when your husband gets home?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--VZDzhm2s--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/f7gso7rcluf9vofeujtw.gif

But seriously, you rock.

• Like 1

You have inspired me to go for a walk on the lovely walking track at work, that I have been not using :D 

I think a few steps away would help my mental state, and a few extra steps on my fitbit never hurts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

You have inspired me to go for a walk on the lovely walking track at work, that I have been not using :D 

I think a few steps away would help my mental state, and a few extra steps on my fitbit never hurts!

Nice - ENJOY! :-)

3 hours ago, Volki said:

Good job on the walk :)

I like those early morning walks.

What book do you plan on reading?

It was nice, even in the rain!

I am in the middle of Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness.  It's a bit fluffy and slightly immature, but I really like it.  (2nd book in a trilogy). 

I recently finished the Silo series by Hugh Howey, which I recommend - it was really engaging. 

I also may re-read my book for book club, The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett, both because I liked it and because I don't remember many specifics and would like to have something intelligent to say on Friday! :redface-new:  I was multi-tasking when I read it, so another go wouldn't hurt...

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Happy Summer break! Ish! Nice one on the rainy walk, I could see myself wimping out, especially with rain! ;) Here's to work being over and being able to focus on you and your goals! :D 

THANKS!  I am really excited to be off.  Last summer I worked for the state facilitating conferences, and while it was kinda fun, and definitely good for my resume, I am thrilled to have some time (GLORIOUS TIME) to just....be.  Especially after my mid-year job change.  Whew! 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2016 at 6:17 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

3.  Lift.  (Starting stats, pounds: 160 squat, 100 OHP, 140 Bench, 230 DL, 60 DB row)

Very late, but....

ZOMG!!!!!

When I was finishing high school, that was about as much as I could OHP.  Maybe 110 pounds.  It was also as much as I could fit on a bar at home.  So I find it very amusing to see those numbers matched like that. :D  :tyrannosaurus:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Very late, but....

ZOMG!!!!!

When I was finishing high school, that was about as much as I could OHP.  Maybe 110 pounds.  It was also as much as I could fit on a bar at home.  So I find it very amusing to see those numbers matched like that. :D  :tyrannosaurus:

Not gonna lie...I love me some OHP. 

• Like 5

Today's workout (in pounds, @Sam Ashen, in pounds)

Squats:

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 135

5 x 5 at 160

Bench:

le sigh

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 115

5/3/2 x 5 at 140 - ugly, grindy, poor form, so

4 /3 x 5 at 135 - not much better, tbh.  Oh, well - I will try, try, try again next time! :-)

DB Row:

It's been a while, so I seriously deloaded these:

1 x 5 at 25 per side

5 x 5 at 40 per side

Had a nice chat with the dude at the desk on my way out - I had thought to ask him for a spot, but he appeared to be doing super sets, so I didn't.  Instead my lovely husband stopped by on his lunch break.  :-)

Speaking of, the husband has a challenge up this time, too! :-)

Ohhhhh - I did the NF Yoga Squat mini-session before lifting.  Yay, mobility! 

LUYL cleaning - well, I am doing the sheets and have done dishes.  Aside from that, I haven't gotten a lot accomplished. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Today's workout (in pounds, @Sam Ashen, in pounds)

You will notice I did not do that to your OHP. :D

6 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I had thought to ask him for a spot, but he appeared to be doing super sets

Then there are the people doing WoD's.  It is a sharp contrast to people like myself doing a rep or two, then resting for a few minutes or so.

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

You will notice I did not do that to your OHP. :D

oh, I lurked you LONG before I began posting, and I am pretty consistent about stating pounds somewhere in the post so that I never fall for your oh-so-innocent trolling.  BUT ONE DAY I WILL OHP 100 KG.  ONE DAY!  (Um...maybe.  A gal can dream, no? Next big OHP goal is big plates.  Which is a pretty big freaking goal.)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

oh, I lurked you LONG before I began posting, and I am pretty consistent about stating pounds somewhere in the post so that I never fall for your oh-so-innocent trolling.  BUT ONE DAY I WILL OHP 100 KG.  ONE DAY!  (Um...maybe.  A gal can dream, no? Next big OHP goal is big plates.  Which is a pretty big freaking goal.)

It IS!  IIRC, Spezzy is at 130 pounds and has not yet OHP 135 pounds.

I got there about half a year before I joined NF.  That weight got me psychologically many times.  I do not know where my max currently is and big OHP singles have not been in my program since I hurt my shoulder in the PL meet two months ago.

100 kg OHP!  I think WR can do it.  That would correspond to a truly beastly BP.  Put in perspective, at my meet, I saw a lady open Squats with my DL numbers.  I think she got to about 205 kg Squat, 102.5 kg BP in two attempts, and I forget the DL number, except she missed two attempts at a record.

12 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

It IS!  IIRC, Spezzy is at 130 pounds and has not yet OHP 135 pounds.

I weigh just over 100 kg (last time I checked - probably more now :apologetic:), so that would actually be a BW ohp.  It's really a pipe dream, as I am stalling pretty hard at 100 pounds on 5 x 5.  I really said 100 kg in a joking way - but 135 is possibly in my future.  Years down the road, but my first stall was 75 pounds, now 100 pounds.  I think that on an intermediate program I can get there - it may be difficult, but I think that it is possible.  I have only ever trained ohp 5 x 5, so there is some room for growth, I think.  Plus I FREAKING LOVE OHP.  A LOT. 

I also am way more confident in ohp than in any other lift - I feel like I am a rock with that one, whereas on bench I am

giphy.gif

I feel like with my ohp numbers, my bench should be bigger, but I can't seem to stay tight.  I think that I need some ab work in my life.  It's on the list to add in when I start something other than SL. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

100 pounds on 5 x 5

Now we are at 100 pounds x 5 x 5!

I remember what I said about your first OHP Form-Check.  I also remember what I thought:  I wonder how much she can OHP once she gets the form down.

:D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Now we are at 100 pounds x 5 x 5!

I remember what I said about your first OHP Form-Check.  I also remember what I thought:  I wonder how much she can OHP once she gets the form down.

:D

Awww...thanks! I remember being crazy nervous, but also kinda proud.  

Not quite 5 x 5, though.  I am stalling. 

5 / 4 / 3 / 3 / 5 at 100 before it kicked me back to work up again.  I didn't hit all 5 at 95 on Monday, either, so this Friday is 95 again, then next wednesday we will try again for 100 5 x 5.  :-)   I'm thinking of doing ohp low weights on Bench days as an accessory when I switch programs.  Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Wendler is 4 days 1 major lift each day, with accessories.  So I would do heavy OHP one of those days, but light ohp on the heavy bench day.  *shrug*  Dunno. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Awww...thanks! I remember being crazy nervous, but also kinda proud.  

5 / 4 / 3 / 3 / 5 at 100 before it kicked me back to work up again.  I didn't hit all 5 at 95 on Monday, either, so this Friday is 95 again, then next wednesday we will try again for 100 5 x 5.  :-)   I'm thinking of doing ohp low weights on Bench days as an accessory when I switch programs.  Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Wendler is 4 days 1 major lift each day, with accessories.  So I would do heavy OHP one of those days, but light ohp on the heavy bench day.  *shrug*  Dunno. 

What about some shoulder or tricep accessory work? Probably more likely shoulder accessory since bench is also tris. 

• Like 1

Just now, Taddea Zhaan said:

What about some shoulder or tricep accessory work? Probably more likely shoulder accessory since bench is also tris. 

Totes.  And I want to add in a pull in the worst way (other than db row).  Maybe pull up negatives if I can manage them.  SO MANY THINGS TO TRY!

What shoulder accessory work would you recommend?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

You can definitely do a second big lift as an accessory for 5/3/1. One of the powerlifters at my uni would use (relatively) light deadlifts as an accessory on squat days and vice versa. Not quite sure what he did for upper body days, though. A lot of powerlifters also train bench more than OHP since OHP isn't one of the competition lifts... but I digress.

You've been going up in 5 lb jumps, right? It might be worth investing in some microplates (1.25 plates or something equivalent, like washers/chains of that weight) and seeing if you can milk a bit more out of the linear progression. Rippetoe also recommends that women switch to sets of 3 (6 sets or so) for their working weight after stalling a couple times. Those two tricks did wonders for my OHP before I switched programs.

Can't wait to see you press the big plates!

2 minutes ago, Alanna said:

You can definitely do a second big lift as an accessory for 5/3/1. One of the powerlifters at my uni would use (relatively) light deadlifts as an accessory on squat days and vice versa. Not quite sure what he did for upper body days, though. A lot of powerlifters also train bench more than OHP since OHP isn't one of the competition lifts... but I digress.

You've been going up in 5 lb jumps, right? It might be worth investing in some microplates (1.25 plates or something equivalent, like washers/chains of that weight) and seeing if you can milk a bit more out of the linear progression. Rippetoe also recommends that women switch to sets of 3 (6 sets or so) for their working weight after stalling a couple times. Those two tricks did wonders for my OHP before I switched programs.

Can't wait to see you press the big plates!

I have them - thanks for the reminder - I will start using them. 

Yes, 5 lb jumps to date.  I may try the Rippetoe approach if I don't hit my next 5 x 5 OHP sets, thanks!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Totes.  And I want to add in a pull in the worst way (other than db row).  Maybe pull up negatives if I can manage them.  SO MANY THINGS TO TRY!

What shoulder accessory work would you recommend?

I found this article: http://ruggedfellowsguide.com/7-accessory-lifts-for-bulky-coconut-shoulders/

I'm not sure how scientifically backed it is, and "coconut shoulders" made me giggle and gave me mental images. 

But it says that most presses work anterior delts and I've heard that before. So it suggests adding in rear (posterior) and lateral delt exercises. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2016 at 5:53 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Had an on point zero week, with crazy awesome support from @Taddea Zhaan and @elvenengineer _ rock stars, both of them.  

Today, in pounds

Squats felt really good.  Pre-butt hurt good.

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 135

5 x 5 at 155

I finally feel good about moving back up to more challenging (for me) weights.  Will continue to increase slowly.

OHP

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 65

1 x 5 at 85

1 x 3 at 95 

4/3/3/3/3 at 100

Lost form & tightness pretty consistently after the 2nd rep, which is unusual for this lift for me.

DL

1 at 135, felt it in my lower back.  I have a very strict no lifting with back pain rule, so I immediately stopped.  Hoping that it clears up, not super worried about it - it's not the scary pain.  But pain is pain, so I stopped.  Likely caused by supervising field day at work today.  Lots of standing and twisting.  Meh.  

Food was good today.  Need another veg, but good.  Will stretch out again before sleep.  

Yay for elvie and taddea being awesome sauce. *applause*

Also FIELD DAY WAS ALWAYS THE BEST DAY IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!!! I always rocked the potato sack race like nobody's business.

20 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

100 kg OHP!  I think WR can do it.  That would correspond to a truly beastly BP.  Put in perspective, at my meet, I saw a lady open Squats with my DL numbers.  I think she got to about 205 kg Squat, 102.5 kg BP in two attempts, and I forget the DL number, except she missed two attempts at a record.

There was a woman at my comp who attempted and damn near had it. She would have been the first woman in the world to deadlift 600 lb

19 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I feel like with my ohp numbers, my bench should be bigger, but I can't seem to stay tight.  I think that I need some ab work in my life.  It's on the list to add in when I start something other than SL. 

DAT ARCH!!!! work on T-spine mobility and getting your arch set and tight, will go a long way :)

19 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

AND LATS!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

DAT ARCH!!!! work on T-spine mobility and getting your arch set and tight, will go a long way :)

AND LATS!

My very best heavy bench (135 pounds) - with your advice in mind (are you trying to look good or lift heavy? - lift heavy in this pose, obvi!).  You can see where I lose my tightness, and my arch is crap.  But I don't know how to fix it. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pjhN4N22OMQ0VRZkJOdy1tbE0/view?usp=sharing

****ALL HELPFUL CRITICISM WELCOME!****

Off to google "t-spine mobility" to see what I can see...

...and I found this:

Might be worth a shot - although he makes it look quite pretty - mine is likely to look more like a seizure.  Some of the floor stuff I do sometimes, maybe I should do it more consistently.