• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly something something something

I like the sound system idea. I would put climbing fingerboards to improve grip strength(which will help with lifts) also a heavy sandbag to round out supporting muscle strength. Padded floor so you can throw heavy things and not mess up the floor :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'd really like to have that if I had a home gym! You could also use the computer for playlists. 

Sorry if that's been mentioned before and I've missed it but what's the floor going to be like?

A non-slip surface (that is in one piece) under the power cage/where deadlifts are done might be quite practical.

Rubber gym flooring over the heavy duty plywood and double floor joists under the squat rack - the hubs found a really good deal on the rubber floor.  :-)

The sound system may be a real one (if we can scrounge something up for cheap) or may just be an ipod with speaker dock kinda thing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Rubber gym flooring over the heavy duty plywood and double floor joists under the squat rack - the hubs found a really good deal on the rubber floor.  :-)

The sound system may be a real one (if we can scrounge something up for cheap) or may just be an ipod with speaker dock kinda thing. 

Can I live in your home gym, please?

I'll be getting out of your way when you want to lift (or record your form check videos).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alaysia said:

Just throwing things out: A wall mirror? A mini fridge? A pull-up bar?

Pull up bar probably attached to the power cage - you think that I need something additional?

Mirrors for sure (holy crap are they expensive, though - they might be a "add one per month" kinda thing. 

Mini Fridge...hadn't thought of that!!!

37 minutes ago, Volki said:

I like the sound system idea. I would put climbing fingerboards to improve grip strength(which will help with lifts) also a heavy sandbag to round out supporting muscle strength. Padded floor so you can throw heavy things and not mess up the floor :)

Off to google "climbing fingerboards"

I'm thinking a heavy water bag instead of sandbag - easier on my old lady hands, even with gloves! :redface-new:

On 6/18/2016 at 1:00 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

SO helpful!  I have heard that cue before, but had no real idea how to put it in place.  *Adds it to the list of things to think about during Monday's bench*  Thanks! 

I'm not really having trouble recovering as far as DOMS - I pretty much never get it anymore, unless I go more than 10 days without lifting (so, you know, never).  However, I am worried about injuries, and I was having a hard time getting in 3x per week because of general tiredness (before my vacation started - I'm GREAT now).  I'm attributing that to 1. sitting too much at my new job and 2. being a kinda old-lady lifter.  Hopefully this will help.  I am still collecting underpants researching, as I have at least a month, perhaps more, before I need to decide. 

Right now, I am writing out some thoughts on what accessories to include if I go with 531 - it's kinda fun and kinda "uh-oh, I dunno how to do that".  Which is its own brand of fun. Not ready to share right now, but once I have thought it through, I may put it on here for discussion. 

Funny story: this cue actually didn't work for me at first, either, because I was trying to break the bar in the wrong direction (in a plane perpendicular to the floor instead of parallel to the floor, so that the broken ends of the bar would stick towards the ceiling). Then, months later, while I was lying in bed after reading KStar's description of external shoulder rotation, I stuck out my arm in a bench set-up position, externally rotated my shoulder (the same motion needed to "break the bar"), and went "OOOOOOOOOOH."

I didn't have trouble with DOMS either, but just started getting nagging injuries -- partly because of some form fixes that needed to happen (like the aforementioned external shoulder rotation!), but also because of the volume and relatively quick progression. 5/3/1 has been much kinder in that regards! As you've already discovered, it's also been a great opportunity to learn some new movements, like RDLs and good mornings -- I didn't throw a bunch of new things at myself all at once, but about every other cycle or so I'll learn something new :).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'll be getting out of your way when you want to lift (or record your form check videos).

Can I join you Ada? I'll spot you and film aaaaaall your sets :D.

Re: other equipment -- sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Without getting into very specialized equipment, the only other things I can think of right now are:

-- low, stackable blocks (useful for things like box squats, deficit deadlifts, block pulls, and a stepping stool for pull-ups/deficit pull-ups)

dan-green-block-pulls.jpg

-- a way to do tricep dips

What types of plates are you getting? Bumper plates are also fun, esp. for deadlifts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Mirrors for sure (holy crap are they expensive, though - they might be a "add one per month" kinda thing. 

Look at garage sales or Craig's List for people chucking out old sliding mirror closet doors. If we lived closer I'd give you all four of mine if you had the room. Each one is like 6'x4'. They are just propped in my garage, and I bet you others have the same things and are waiting to unload them on someone. Unless of course sliding mirror doors are a regional thing. Like basements and mud rooms, pop and soda. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

Can I join you Ada? I'll spot you and film aaaaaall your sets :D.

Reveal hidden contents

dan-green-block-pulls.jpg

Do you mind when I join you? :) It´s one of my personal dreams when getting my own house besides a studio for my band rehearsals and stuff. One chamber for producing great workoutmusic, one chamber for great gainz to look better on stage B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Definitely, I'll be nice and not turn you into a zombie if we also have frequent nerd outs! :D  

I don't know -- if being a zombie would improve my deadlift, I might welcome the change! But nerd outs would be in order, regardless :D.

1 hour ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Do you mind when I join you? :) It´s one of my personal dreams when getting my own house besides a studio for my band rehearsals and stuff. One chamber for producing great workoutmusic, one chamber for great gainz to look better on stage B)

@Emerald_Dragonfly -- looks like you'll have some squatters in your home gym (pun intended :P).

• Like 6

You guys are super fabulous! 

@Alaysia - you are tempting me to take a road trip to grab those mirrors! ;-)  Probably cheaper to just buy them on my coast, though! :-/

@Alanna - squatters, ha!  Love it. 

@BarbarianBassBro - it's been a long time coming for us.  The husband being willing to do 95% of the work himself has helped defray the costs significantly. 

The husband made MAD progress this weekend; the gym (which I am now calling The Studio - cuz why not?) is now under cover - the roof is sheathed, papered, drip edged, and shingled.  I did not help - he actually got some hired help this weekend.  I am back on duty next weekend, though, and will be helping with the siding.   I'll link to it when he posts a picture on his thread. 

Walked, fruited, yoga'd, veggied (sushi veggies totally count, right?) today.  I think that my DL problems are being caused by tight hamstrings - I will foam roll this evening and see if that helps. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

The husband made MAD progress this weekend; the gym (which I am now calling The Studio - cuz why not?) is now under cover - the roof is sheathed, papered, drip edged, and shingled.  I did not help - he actually got some hired help this weekend.  I am back on duty next weekend, though, and will be helping with the siding.   I'll link to it when he posts a picture on his thread. 

Walked, fruited, yoga'd, veggied (sushi veggies totally count, right?) today.  I think that my DL problems are being caused by tight hamstrings - I will foam roll this evening and see if that helps. 

AWESOME! I was just going to ask how that went. Excited to see! Meanwhile, sushi veggie counts as veggie! I totally had several pieces of ginger just last night. That totally counts. Salmon too, that's a veggie, right?? :P 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

You guys are super fabulous! 

@Alaysia - you are tempting me to take a road trip to grab those mirrors! ;-)  Probably cheaper to just buy them on my coast, though! :-/

@Alanna - squatters, ha!  Love it. 

@BarbarianBassBro - it's been a long time coming for us.  The husband being willing to do 95% of the work himself has helped defray the costs significantly. 

I'm crafting like double-lefthanded, so making one by myself would be hard. Since there'll be a looot of time till I can afford a house, there's enough time to farm stuff for homegym.

The Studio sounds awesome, if not squatacular! Or deliftcious? Hmm...missing the right bad pun here :) 

• Like 1

Thanks @Gainsdalf the Whey.  The husband may build the squat rack, so the pics are very helpful.  Anything that you wish you had done differently?  Anything you find your self really missing or wishing that you had? I mostly powerlift but the husband does general preparedness training. 

@miss_marissa - I'm trying to figure something out for the GHR - what do you envision?

I can't see it in either thread, but I have a lot of filtered sites at work.  I'm also too lazy to check on my phone.  Just reading your husband's thread for a couple posts tired me out.  All that running.  So much running.

• Like 3