• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly something something something

3 hours ago, Grymm said:

That's an impressive looking edifice.

Thanks, I am SUPER proud of him.  He designed it (there were things that drove the design that are no longer relevant; hence the interesting shape), drew it up, and did all of the foundation work himself.  He and his brother framed it up, and then he did about 25% of the roof.  Plus all the running.  CRAZY pants!

3 hours ago, Grizzy said:

SO COOL!

Thanks!  I can't wait until it's finished. SO.  EXCITED. 

Walked 2 miles this morning (after oversleeping by 3 hours - oops). 

One veg so far. 

Today's lifts, all in pounds:

Squats:

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 135

5 x 5 at 170

Felt good, slightly below parallel on most (one curtsy and one a2g)...tough, but good. 

DB Rows:

1 x 5 at 25 each side

5 x 5 at 45 each side

Bench

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 115

5/5/4/4/4 at 140

Tried really hard to get a proper arch and drive with the legs.  Was rewarded with psoas/piriformis twinges BUT ALSO with a much more stable press.  (Maybe I need to clench the glutes more?)  The bar was not all over the place, I felt solid under it, and it felt like definite improvement.  Had I not been in a room full of strangers (much nicer men in the early afternoon, though - felt pretty comfortable lifting with them - no crude comments or strange looks - just nice dudes getting their lift on - I even woman'd up and asked for a spot), I would have done some priformis work in between sets, but I chickened out.  I was able to settle in with the shoulders, spread the legs more, drive through the feet, and keep my behind on the bench.  I completely forgot to 'bend the bar', but I will try to incorporate it next time. 

Since I failed 140 for the 3rd time, SL has me deloading back to 125 and working back up; maybe the deload will give me time to really hone in on the leg drive. 

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I think that my DL problems are being caused by tight hamstrings - I will foam roll this evening and see if that helps. 

Do you have a lacrosse ball?  Something I discovered accidentally was that working the trigger points in your feet help calf and hamstring flexibility significantly (herniated disc with horrible sciatica = very tight hamstrings and calves!).

My home gym:

Squat Rack (pull-up bar at the top)

Exercise Bands

Flat Bench

Incline/Decline Bench

Olympic Bar

Swiss bar

EZ Bar

Bar collars

Bar pad (for hip thrusts)

2" x 4" (for calf raises)

Deadlift Jack

Safety Squat Bar (currently on its way)

Bumper Plates

Plate Tree

10-90 lb. Adjustable Dumbbells

2.5 lb. ankle weights (These are awesome. Add them to my wrists for DB exercises when I want to load less than 5 lb. per arm.)

Dip Station

Leg Curl/Extension (attaches to my bench)

Lat Pulldown

Weight Vest (0-70 lb.)

Dip Belt

Rings

Parallettes

Stationary Bike

Kettlebells

And some misc. stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting...

I'm working in a pretty damn small space, so I do a lot of shuffling/moving etc. during my workouts.  When I'm being lazy, I count this shuffling as cardio. ;)

I'd skip the TV/monitor for now unless you feel like you really need it.  A phone camera will get you decent enough video for form checks.  I record each set I do, play it back while I rest between sets, and then set it up again.  Floor space is worth more than a larger screen IMO.

Something I never knew I'd need, but I use more than just about anything are the exercise bands.  When you have to get creative because you lack equipment (especially for accessory work), bands are often the answer.  And they're cheap.  Best bang for your buck by far.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

No lacrosse ball, @Wolverine, but will try with a tennis ball.  And THANK YOU for such a detailed list - you have given me a lot to think about.  I appreciate it!  

might need to try with something that has less give than a tennis ball... i'm trying to think of good ideas but i'm drawing a blank right now. and it's only tuesday!

On 6/20/2016 at 6:42 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

No lacrosse ball, @Wolverine, but will try with a tennis ball.  And THANK YOU for such a detailed list - you have given me a lot to think about.  I appreciate it!  

For foot work, you may need something with less give. I've used a waterbottle, but I couldn't get deep. But you may not need deep right now, just loosening it up might help.

(I sprained the ball of my foot, froze waterbottles, and rolled my foot around on them - still do sometimes after I have to be on my feet all day for something)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

might need to try with something that has less give than a tennis ball... i'm trying to think of good ideas but i'm drawing a blank right now. and it's only tuesday!

I have an array of sports balls, baseball is good, also a golf ball! I have this medieval looking wood spike roller for my feet that does amazing stuff for me... 

PptvUeQ.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I have an array of sports balls, baseball is good, also a golf ball! I have this medieval looking wood spike roller for my feet that does amazing stuff for me... 

PptvUeQ.jpg

Oooh. I bet that feels wonderful!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

PptvUeQ.jpg

This is a medieval torture device, right? Because that's what this looks like.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grizzy said:

This is a medieval torture device, right? Because that's what this looks like.

10 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Oooh. I bet that feels wonderful!

It is and it does!!!

• Like 2

Nerds, you never disappoint.  :-)

Re-reading your comments to me on this thread last night was quite motivational - you nerds are fabulous.  Thanks for all the love!

stock-illustration-14461621-healthy-hear

@~RedStone~ - that torture device looks like a combination of awesome and terrifying.  *adds to the list of things that I want* 

• Like 5

Today's lifts, in pounds:

Squat:

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 135

5 x 5 at 175

OHP

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 65

1 x 3 at 85

5/3/1 at 100 Giant fail on the 5th rep of the first set.  Like almost dropped the loaded bar on myself fail and made lots of loud and embarrassing clanging with the bar when attempting to rack it gently (ha - fail) before true destruction occurred.  Oops. like whoa.  Refused to *not* do my next set out of sheer orneriness, but was a touch light headed, so ultimately backed off the weight.  Will aim for 5 x 3 from here on out. 

2 x 5 at 45

DL

2 x 5 at 45 RDL - success!!!

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 185

Didn't go higher because I want to ease back into it.  Felt good, though! :-)

Walked a mile this morning, so far have fruit'd. 

I smell like a teenage boy, which means that I worked hard at the gym, yes?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Wait, did I smell as a teenager?  Like all of the time?  Actually, probably a good chunk of the time.  I think the worst is if I have a late volleyball game.  If I get home at 10pm, I'll take a quick shower, but I'm not going to do laundry.  When I open that gym bag next, it's fierce.  A couple dryer sheets can only help so much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Wait, did I smell as a teenager?  Like all of the time?  Actually, probably a good chunk of the time.  I think the worst is if I have a late volleyball game.  If I get home at 10pm, I'll take a quick shower, but I'm not going to do laundry.  When I open that gym bag next, it's fierce.  A couple dryer sheets can only help so much.

I taught 8th grade for a while.  Before they remember to put deodorant on every day, yup the teenage boy doth stinketh.  Come to think about it, the girls were fairly ripe, too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

PptvUeQ.jpg

Unfortunately I can't see the picture...

The golf ball sounds great though. I have a lacrosse ball but it's probably too big for my feet.

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

The golf ball sounds great though. I have a lacrosse ball but it's probably too big for my feet.

Imagine a medieval wooden cactus/rolling pin hybrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Imagine a medieval wooden cactus/rolling pin hybrid.

Or a rolling pin with wooden spikes.

• Like 2

That gym is shaping up nicely ;)

Good job on your lifts and I am glad you didn't end up dropping that bar!

Teenage stank definitely means you are doing something right :)

• Like 2

On 6/22/2016 at 11:59 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Nice lifting! And yeah, I'm taking the funk coming off me these days as a sign I worked wicked hard.

I'm trying not to be self-conscious about it, but this amount of sweating is new to me. I'm framing it as a badge of honor... that I wear only until I get to the shower. So, well done with your stink @Emerald_Dragonfly! Excellent work!!!

• Like 2

Today's workout, in pounds:

So...the nice dude at the desk told the lady trainer/class teacher that she should work out with me, because I am the only lady in the gym who is stronger than she is.  (I am kinda proud of that and kinda like, why compare, dude? I'm working on being strong for me, she is working on being strong for her - but he said it nicely, and neither she nor I tried to one up each other).  Regardless, she worked into some of my sets with me, which messed up my programming, but was worth it to train hard with another lady! :-) 

Squats:

3 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 135

3 x 5 at 180

1 x 5 at 135

Despite being a trainer, she had never heard of "below parallel" which I thought was odd, but she did it when I told her that was what I aimed for each time.  Also, she did NOT like my valsalva breathing.  But since I wasn't paying her, she didn't give me any grief about it. 

Bench:

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 105

3 x 3 at 145  PR!!!!!!!!!

Worked on my form - easier when only doing 3 reps ;-) 

Managed to drive through the legs, but didn't turn my feet out - kept them pointing directly away from my body.  That kept the priformis out of the picture (yay), but wasn't quite as strong.  This may be a compromise that I have to make, though - I can't keep angering the piriformis.  Maybe once I incorporate weighted glute thrusters and GHR my leg drive on bench will feel stronger?  Either way, this was progress!  I will get a video next time the husband is with me to film it. 

DB Row:

1 x 5 at 25 each side

5 x 5 at 50 each side

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Today's workout, in pounds:

So...the nice dude at the desk told the lady trainer/class teacher that she should work out with me, because I am the only lady in the gym who is stronger than she is.  (I am kinda proud of that and kinda like, why compare, dude? I'm working on being strong for me, she is working on being strong for her - but he said it nicely, and neither she nor I tried to one up each other).  Regardless, she worked into some of my sets with me, which messed up my programming, but was worth it to train hard with another lady! :-) 

Squats:

3 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 135

3 x 5 at 180

1 x 5 at 135

Despite being a trainer, she had never heard of "below parallel" which I thought was odd, but she did it when I told her that was what I aimed for each time.  Also, she did NOT like my valsalva breathing.  But since I wasn't paying her, she didn't give me any grief about it. 

Bench:

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 105

3 x 3 at 145

Worked on my form - easier when only doing 3 reps ;-) 

Managed to drive through the legs, but didn't turn my feet out - kept them pointing directly away from my body.  That kept the priformis out of the picture (yay), but wasn't quite as strong.  This may be a compromise that I have to make, though - I can't keep angering the piriformis.  Maybe once I incorporate weighted glute thrusters and GHR my leg drive on bench will feel stronger?  Either way, this was progress!  I will get a video next time the husband is with me to film it. 

DB Row:

1 x 5 at 25 each side

5 x 5 at 50 each side

Nice job :D that guy should learn a few thing from you as well! 

He's just 'mirin cuz you lift more than him ;D

keep it up!

• Like 1

Catching up and LOVING the progress on the new gym.  It is so very big next to the chicken coop.  And are those sky lights at the peak?  That is going to be lovely!

Amazing lifting (as always.)  I think it's great to have a fellow Sista' at the gym.  I love reading all your Bro stories.  I keep coming back for more!!!  But there's something heartening about having another gal nearby.  One who might just understand that lifting is awesome.  It's just kind of nice to have company.

• Like 2