Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly something something something

On 7/1/2016 at 4:46 PM, Grymm said:

Wow!  Nicely done!

On 7/1/2016 at 6:17 PM, Alanna said:

Catching up:

OOOOOUCH

*bows to OHP Queen*

Nice lifts! Congrats on the double big plate squats :D.

On 7/1/2016 at 6:27 PM, Lifter5 said:

holy crap. I want to be you when I grow up.

On 7/1/2016 at 8:09 PM, SevenofSeven said:

Well done, you have some great numbers there! Woot! :applause:

On 7/3/2016 at 0:29 AM, Alaysia said:

Inspiring numbers you put up!! Damn, that bench! Awesome!

Thanks, guys!  You are all so kind!

:redface-new:

• Like 1

The following has absolutely nothing to do with any of my goals, or anything nerdy or fitnessy or LUYLy. 

And yet it may be worth telling. 

So...I finally cleaned my house.  Top to bottom, dusted, mopped, everything in proper spots, etc.  Were you so inclined, you could eat off of the floors. 

(The fact that I did NOT do this as outlined in my challenge, room by room, but instead did it all at once because someone was coming over is a whole other situation. Whatever.) 

Basically:

47546182.jpg

For those of you that do not know, I live in Ruralville, USA, so critters are a fact of life.  We deal with them and move on, but as it so happens I despise mice.  I don't like being startled by them, I don't like the diseases that they can bring, I don't like the mess that they leave, and I don't like the smell that they make when they die in the crawlspace or wall cavity and you can't find them.  (Yes, this happens - #countrylife).

So I am pretty vigilant about keeping them out.  Traps, poison, etc. 

While cleaning I found ZERO evidence of mice.  Not unexpected; it's summer. 

This morning, I wake up and as I am walking through the kitchen, I see some fluff on the floor.  The floor was spotless yesterday, and this fluff is pretty much in the exact center of the room - not a trail.  It's a fair amount of fluff, and looks like what a mouse would gather - although it's a LOT.  So I go to clean it up, and it is not only fluff, but mouse droppings - again, a lot of them, but only in a small area in the center of the room.  I'm a bit confused by this - it does not follow the typical mouse pattern.  Still, I figure that we have a mouse somewhere, that my whirlwind cleaning disturbed it, and that we would put a fresh trap in the kitchen.  I though little more about it.  UNTIL...

I was assisting the husband in the shed, and brought up the mouse.  He says, "Well, it probably came from the ceiling."  HUH?  "There's some fluff in the vent, too." 

To make a long story tolerable - IT'S NOT MORE FLUFF, IT'S THE MOTHEREFFING MOUSE.  Somehow, this poor mouse fell down the vent (it makes a 90 degree right there) and is currently stuck on the 1 foot by 1 foot vent grate in the ceiling 12 feet above the floor.  He can't get down into the kitchen, but he can't get back up the vent, either.  He is moving.  Fairly often. 

So now I have to decide what kind of person I am.  Am I the kind of person who gets on a ladder and unscrews the grate to keep a mouse from starving to death only to kill it (we don't catch and release - the critter either comes back or becomes someone else's problem - not cool) or do I walk around for three days avoiding the space below the grate while a mouse slowly dies above me?

Both of these options feel like terrible choices. 

The husband, btw, thinks the entire situation is hilarious.  I am not so amused.  I am keeping to the perimeter of my kitchen to avoid the potential of getting mouse crap in my hair (also inducing much laughter in the spouse), and fretting. 

So that's been my day.  Gross. 

[/spoiler]

• Like 3

I would end it swiftly. Starving to death isn't exactly humane. 

Also, have you thought about the idea of a maintenance cleaning schedule so your house stays lovely? :D

• Like 2

I agree, a mercy kill might be in order. I know how you feel about the mice, I used to live out in the country myself.

Good luck!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lifter5 said:

Also, have you thought about the idea of a maintenance cleaning schedule so your house stays lovely? :D

That was my LUYL challenge.  It didn't happen.  I'm pretty good about cleaning up food stuff (not cause I like to clean, but because I hate critters), but I'm not great at dusting, mopping, tidying accumulated piles of junk, folding laundry...etc. 

Mouse update:  I do not have to be either of those people (the thought of being on a ladder and having a mouse fall on my head or in my face was pretty horrifying, but starvation just seems so cruel (PROBABLY WHY I AM NO GOOD AT CUTTING!).  The mouse did himself in - I had put a towel on the floor to catch all the droppings while I decided what to do, and I turned around to find he had pushed through the grate and was splayed out on the towel. 

Gross.  But I am relieved not to have to deal with it. 

1 minute ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

but I'm not great at dusting, mopping, tidying accumulated piles of junk, folding laundry...etc. 

Babysteps? Focus on mopping once a week for a month. Then in August add in dusting once a week. Then in September add another thing. Snowball, baby!

Also, RIP mousey. We hardly knew ye.

• Like 2

OH - and the husband, while gently laughing at me, had offered to come take care of it, but since this is his last day off, I told him that I preferred he continue working on the home gym, and I would decide what to do with the mouse.  In truth, had the mouse stayed up there, I would have probably fretted all day about it, and then the lovely husband would have risked having a mouse fall on his head once he finished with his outside work.  I am okay with this falling along traditional gender lines.  He grew up on a farm - he isn't grossed out by mice.  :abnormal:

He did, however, take care of the mouse remains. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

That was my LUYL challenge.  It didn't happen.  I'm pretty good about cleaning up food stuff (not cause I like to clean, but because I hate critters), but I'm not great at dusting, mopping, tidying accumulated piles of junk, folding laundry...etc. 

It's much easier to start maintenance when it's all already clean, so maybe the next challenge?

Your OHP is astonishing, and your lifts in general are awesome :) Way to go!

• Like 2

lol so that's what you were talking about, romancing the mousey with a picnic? Nice one on cleaning, I'm pretty much the same in terms of deep cleaning, nothing like having company over to make it all happen at once ;) 

• Like 1

I also live in a fairly "country home" and deal with mice and what not. I probably would have dealt with it swiftly just to not have to be grossed out by accidentally getting pooped on! Mice don't gross me out but mouse poop grosses me out. I'm probably still traumatized by that one time 6 years ago when mice pooped all over my silverware in a previous house. 

Also, love your lifts! You are helping to inspire me to get back into the gym while I'm feeling lazy from basically two weeks of camping. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lifter5 said:

Babysteps? Focus on mopping once a week for a month. Then in August add in dusting once a week. Then in September add another thing. Snowball, baby!

Also, RIP mousey. We hardly knew ye.

That might work better.  My original challenge was to deep clean one room per weekday that I am not working.  Honestly, each room only takes like 25 minutes, so there really is no excuse.  But I didn't do it.  I would do regular stuff (laundry, change sheets, whatever) and tell myself that was enough for the day.  I swept today, though - I wore my sneakers in side the house and they left dirt everywhere, so I just went ahead and re-swept the entire downstairs.  Didn't re-mop, though.  Aside from the kitchen, how often do people mop/swiffer their hardwood floors? 

17 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

It's much easier to start maintenance when it's all already clean, so maybe the next challenge?

Your OHP is astonishing, and your lifts in general are awesome :) Way to go!

I'm going to make an effort to keep it clean - I have really pretty hardwood floors that look nice when they are clean!

Thanks, I am going to add 5 lbs to the OHP tomorrow - wish me luck!!!

15 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

lol so that's what you were talking about, romancing the mousey with a picnic? Nice one on cleaning, I'm pretty much the same in terms of deep cleaning, nothing like having company over to make it all happen at once ;) 

Haha, yeah I was talking about it in chat.  When I turned around and saw the mouse's unfortunate demise, I quickly threw a stock pot over him, just in case he wasn't dead, and then, in case he was Super Mouse, I put a full bottle of red wine on top of the upside down pot to weight it down.  The husband walked in to see this and asked if I was trying to seduce the mouse with wine and a picnic.  Lol. 

26 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I also live in a fairly "country home" and deal with mice and what not. I probably would have dealt with it swiftly just to not have to be grossed out by accidentally getting pooped on! Mice don't gross me out but mouse poop grosses me out. I'm probably still traumatized by that one time 6 years ago when mice pooped all over my silverware in a previous house. 

Also, love your lifts! You are helping to inspire me to get back into the gym while I'm feeling lazy from basically two weeks of camping. 

With a cornfield directly across the street, woods directly behind me and a working marina a half mile away, I can't help but get the occasional critter.  It's okay, though.  :-)  Mouse poop is gross and carries disease - no shame in being grossed out by it!

Get back into the gym, you will feel really good afterwards! 

• Like 1

So I have been thinking about my recent challenges.  I was feeling pretty down at the beginning of this one because I felt like I had been failing them - and in a sense, I was.  But. 

Since starting NF challenges, I have not only gotten really good at sticking to my training sessions, I look forward to them.  I keep them in my challenges because I have decades of experience starting a "workout program" and not following through with it.  Not only have I followed through with lifting (and before that the NF BBWW), I only miss a workout for a really good reason, and I am starting to recognize when my body needs more recovery and when to push through because it's only laziness.  I realized today in a fundamental way that I have changed this pattern.  I no longer have to force myself to workout, it's now a part of who I am.  If I changed that habit, I can change the others!

Walking - so this one is less successful, overall.  But still much, much better than before instituting challenges.  I will continue to work on this one (I walked this morning!), but instead of saying that I am failing at this goal, I am trying to tell myself that I am still working toward mastery.  I know, semantics, but habits are really hard to change!  And walking even 1 x per week consistently (which is probably about my yearly average) is WAY better than never.  So...progress. 

The food.  This remains my biggest issue.  I'm not alone with this, I know - many of us are fighting decades of poor eating habits.  So any little deviation and I am right back to those patterns.  But.  I am not giving up.  I mess up and try again.  Mess up and try again.  This HAS to be better than where I would have been.  I have to believe that. 

So while I am not grading this challenge, in the back of my head I know it would be a poor grade.  BUT...it's not a final grade - it's more of a formative assessment on the way...I still have work to do.  I missed workouts in the beginning - quite a few, actually.  But I kept at it, and now consider it a fully formed habit.  So I will keep at the other goals, too. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Aside from the kitchen, how often do people mop/swiffer their hardwood floors? 

Weekly if I'm being good. Every other week otherwise.

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I have decades of experience starting a "workout program" and not following through with it. 

Amen sister.

• Like 1

Feels familiar, had a great start here at challenges and now I feel like failing more and more with the later challenges. The thing is, we don fail! Sometimes it's just harder to adapt to life while doing NF-challenges. You're absolutely right on that grading and even more at the BUT!

On 6/27/2016 at 9:34 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Deadlift

1 x 5 at 45 RDL

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 185

1 x 5 at 205

Yay!  The RDL seems to do the trick, so I will leave it in from now on. 

I too just discovered that opening the DL session with RDLs helps me a lot with making my hammies do some work. I know I should close with RDLs too, but I don't want to do shit after heavy deadlifts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiebeotch said:

I too just discovered that opening the DL session with RDLs helps me a lot with making my hammies do some work. I know I should close with RDLs too, but I don't want to do shit after heavy deadlifts. 

Why close with them, too?

6 hours ago, Rookiebeotch said:

Assistance work for weak hams. 

You could do good mornings instead, bit of variety, stretches the hamstrings after DL plus grip is not an issue.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, evabo said:

You could do good mornings instead, bit of variety, stretches the hamstrings after DL plus grip is not an issue.

Good suggestion and reasoning, except that it isn't my grip that's the issue, it's the IDGAF muscle that deadlifts tend to inflame. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rookiebeotch said:

Good suggestion and reasoning, except that it isn't my grip that's the issue, it's the IDGAF muscle that deadlifts tend to inflame. 

Hence why variety is a bonus, and presumably you would be stretching anyway, amirite :victorious:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evabo said:

1 hour ago, Rookiebeotch said:

I'm afraid of good mornings.  Worried I will hurt the lower back.  I had thought to incorporate GHR and glute bridges when I switch programs.

I'll need a progression, probably, cuz GHR look difficult.