Dagger Builds a Homebase

Dagger

Homebase = stable foundation of fitness = cementing my recent changes and adding a few more.

So in May I did an unofficial challenge (aka I didn't join), which was basically walk every day, do Zumba once a week, and stop eating TV dinners.

I kind of have system that tells me which habits/goals/quests that are most important each day, and if I'm having a bad day energy-wise/will power-wise/emotionally then I only have to do the minimum, I'll mark these quests as bold. Quests that are almost minimum, aka I'm trying really hard for those to become easily minimum will be italics, and should be hit on average and good days; on bad days if I can manage but no pressure. The other quests will get done on better days (aka average and good days). Bold means I do the quests whether rain or sunshine, whether a catastrophe day or normal day; except for if the disclaimer clause needs to be used. Almost all other quests are only done a couple of times per week (aka can be done on good/average days) or I'm allowed a certain amount of misses (see section below).

One more thing, about every 2 weeks, I will declare a day off. On those days I only need to do the boldest quests, the rest of the day I am "required" to do whatever the hell I want. So if I want to play video games for four hours, I can (although I'll get up and get water at least once an hour ;)). If I want to do a deep-dive into these forums and geek out in the NF chat, I can. Basically, I should do what I want to do, not what I need/should do. This is a mental rest day. It will often be scheduled after a bad day since I'll need recovery after one anyway.

Exercise

1. 5'000 steps per day until June 10 (so before the challenge even officially starts...) (ALL DONE!!! No misses)
  2. 6'000 steps per day for 21 days (and then I will evaluate if I should raise it already and with how much or if I should stick with 6000 for the rest of the challenge) (21-28x total)
  3. Morning routine of a walk within one hour of waking up 3 times per week. (12x total)
  4. Zumba 1-2x per week (4-8x total)
  5. Yoga 1-2x per week (4-8x total)

Nutrition

1. No TV-diners (28x total)
  2. Eating 1 meal on schedule 4 different days per week. Lunch ready to eat between noon and 13:00; dinner ready at latest 19:30. (16x total)

Level Up My Life

1. Read fiction 15 mins per day (just to be sure it has been cemented in again (read like crazy as a teenager)) (28x total)
  2. Study craft for 5 mins 3 days per week (20x total)
  3. Write minimum 100 words 3 x per week or write a total of 300 words per week (12x total)
  4. Work up to evening routine v.3 and have done it for 5 days in a row (currently on v.2.5; 5-10 days in a row of a version and I move up) (28x total)

I should probably stop here. There is so much I want to do. ;_;

Planned Changes and Acceptable Misses

I have some events planned during the challenge. Celebrating Midsummer (I am Swedish after all, even if I plan to celebrate by myself :() and a birthday celebration down in Stockholm so I have to travel for a couple of days (I planned to see friends when I was there anyway). Especially the travel might disturb the challenge a lot.

So on the Sundays before the weeks with fun interruptions, I will evaluate each goal and give myself permission to reduce quantity of them. There will be certain ones I'll need to get done (mainly study craft since I have an online workshop) and my bolded goals (non-negotiable!). All the rest can lose or be entirely optional during that week. I will edit the totals accordingly. I guess this also falls under my disclaimer. :P 

And now over to acceptable misses. Even if I suddenly became perfect that scheduling and priorities I am likely to miss a few times during the challenge. But if I don't define what success means with misses (instead of a perfect record), I will feel like I've failed completely and I would miss out on my reward. I still haven't failed at a goal, and I'm afraid I might let that derail me completely if I don't foresee that life isn't perfect and I need to plan for that (yes, fixing my goals did some of that).

So depending on the volume per week, I am allowed a certain amount of misses, but this is not whiney misses because I DON'T WANT TO. This is: I've mostly planned my week well and gotten stuff done but due to X I got totally derailed on Saturday/Sunday and there is no way I can hit all the goals before the week is out. And I get to be the arbitrary judge on this. Today would have been a day where misses would have been acceptable. Some days this week I might have been a smidgen too lenient. However, if I've fucked around and had bad time management, then it is not an acceptable miss just because I feel a little bad; I've made allowances for feeling a little bad some days by not having every goal be an EVERY DAY goal.

Every day: 6 acceptable misses total, no more than two per week (obviously I can't miss two each week since I would be out of misses by week 4).

4-5 days per week: 3 acceptable misses total, no more than one per week.

3 days per week: 2 acceptable misses total, no more than one per week.

If I make up the miss the week after it happened—and it only counts as a make up if I've already done all other goals planned for that day and I didn't already have to do that goal that day—I don't get my miss back, but I can count the previous week as perfect. (This is liable to be killed, but I think I like it right now.)

Reward

I have an idea for a reward, but I don't want to jinx myself. If there are still tickets (tickets I prefer even), then I will go to this mysterious event I'm thinking of. I get the reward if I do all my goals with the acceptable exceptions (planned changes and acceptable misses). Maybe in week four when I know if there is a chance I can do it, I will reveal the reward as a final push to get everything done.

Disclosure: Last week I got NF yoga, so that is the yoga I plan to do, although I have another yoga program too, but I'll most likely stick with NF yoga, and if the regular sessions are too hard, I'll just do all mini-sessions as "one" session. Today I joined the NF Academy, so I might add something to my nutrition quest, but I'm doing things in my order right now so I don't think I'll change up my exercise for it, maybe next challenge. :)

Quirk: I like my weeks from Monday to Sunday, so I will start the challenge officially on June 13 and finish on July 8. I will update here starting tomorrow (June 8), but some of those goals aren't even obligatory on good/average days until the challenge, but I'll work on them to get regular.

Disclaimer: I am goddess in my own world and give myself the right to edit this challenge for any good reason (I am struggling too much; I can't keep up; I get a life roll (sudden unexpected bad (usually bad) thing happens); similar) or shitty reason if it makes my life better. And I've invoked this once, two days before the challenge started.

Week 1 Review

Planned Changes for Week 2

Week 2 Review

Planned Changes for Week 3

Week 3 Review

Week 4 Review

Challenge Review

• Like 7

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Hell yea! That sounds awesome! 

6 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Disclaimer: I am god in my own world and give myself the right to edit this challenge for any good reason (I am struggling too much; I can't keep up; I get a life roll (sudden unexpected bad (usually bad) thing happens); similar) or shitty reason if it makes my life better.

^ This. So much this. 

Looking forward to seeing how you do, keep up the great work! 

Thanks, @valkyrja. I'll do my solemn best. Considering I'm not that solemn I guess that means I'll be bad. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

@~RedStone~ Oh noes, hide the pikachu! HIDE THE PIKACHU!!!!

@Rebel_Timelord Thanks! I will do my best. :)

• Like 2

I like your system and the self-knowledge it shows. Well-designed plans are a huge component of success, I think.

Am following along to see where this goes!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

9 hours ago, Severine said:

I like your system and the self-knowledge it shows. Well-designed plans are a huge component of success, I think.

Took a lot of failures (not only on fitness) to figure this out, but it helps a lot to do the classifications.

Plus in any given week I tend to have 3-5 good/average days, so those non-obligatory goals gets done on those days.

• Like 1

June 8

Energy/Willpower: An alright day. Since I'm doing the update the next day instead of in the evening I don't remember everything as well.

Exercise

I walked very soon after I woke up (within an hour).

I also took a walk late afternoon to buy dinner, but I made the walk longer than just walking to the store.

I walked more than 5000 steps, ca 7000-something steps.

I did Zumba in the middle of the afternoon.

Nutrition

I had no TV dinners.

I ate dinner in the time frame, score!

I was very tempted to buy a TV dinner when I went to the store, but I resisted, so I feel good about that.

Level Up My Life

I read fiction. Started a new good book (The Disappeared by Kristine Kathryn Rusch)

I did the evening routine.

I did not write, nor study craft.

I played Super Mario Galaxy 2. I know this isn't a goal. This is an optional optional thing I'm trying to get back to. I gamed a lot for a few years and I miss it. So I play for an hour or so every few days.

Misc

I went to bed really early because I got so knackered all of a sudden. First I read, but I'm pretty sure I put the book down between midnight and 00:30, so really early night (I've been going to bed between 2:00-4:00 the last week or so).

• Like 3

June 9

Energy/Willpower: Anxiety from hell day. Obligation-induced anxiety from not mowing the lawn. That counts as a bad day.

Exercise

Due to anxiety I didn't go for a walk until evening.

However, at least I got some steps from walking the lawn mower over part of the yard.

I walked more than 5000 steps, ca 6700-something steps.

Nutrition

I had no TV dinners.

I missed eating in time for both meals, mainly due to anxiety (sensing a theme, are we?)

I really need to go grocery shopping...

Level Up My Life

I read fiction. A spontaneous short story in the afternoon, will read more of the book I started yesterday before going to bed.

I did write. I did not study craft, which means I have a lot to do since I have an online workshop deadline on Sunday at midnight.

Misc

I started mowing the lawn. Something I've put off long enough I've felt seriously anxious for days, as in I can barely think anxious at times. I got about 1/3 done before my battery driven lawn mower was out of battery.

1/3 less grass for the pikachus to hide. They better run before Team Rocket finds them!

I also suddenly feel like there is space in my head, if you get what I mean. With the anxiety partly sated I can think again. Although I have to make sure to get to the rest of the lawn before too long.

• Like 3

Recently, I went to mow my lawn and my brand new (3 years old, really) lawn mower wouldn't start because the cover had come off at some point and it got wet.  So I drained it including the bowl, changed the gas, and tried - no start.  Removed the spark plug, let it sit for a weekend inside.  Won't start.  Ordered a new spark plug.  Won't start.  Now, part of my challenge is to take it to be fixed.  In the meantime, my front yard was looking pretty wild.  I did borrow a mower to reset the score, but I too have a type of mowing the lawn anxiety.

• Like 1

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

Anxiety is a devil, and you're beating it, which is great. Overcoming it to mow some of the lawn is something you can be really proud of, and it sounds like you're hitting other goals too. Good work so far!

My Dad was big on mowing the lawn - he could work out how to solve the ills of the world while doing it - and I've inherited that. I've got a push mower and a small lawn, and it's meditation as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

Level 0 Human Adventurer

STR - 1; DEX - 1; STA - 0; CON - 0; WIS - 1; CHA - 1

12 hours ago, GamerGirlNextDoor said:

Thanks for your encouragement on my thread about finding another activity. You inspired me and kept me accountable...so of course I had to Forum Stalk you.

Best reason eveh! Plus that is what the challenges are for right? I saw your ideas for new activities, good choices. I took an acting class in high school and we always started with sun salutations.

8 hours ago, Grymm said:

Recently, I went to mow my lawn and my brand new (3 years old, really) lawn mower wouldn't start because the cover had come off at some point and it got wet.  So I drained it including the bowl, changed the gas, and tried - no start.  Removed the spark plug, let it sit for a weekend inside.  Won't start.  Ordered a new spark plug.  Won't start.  Now, part of my challenge is to take it to be fixed.  In the meantime, my front yard was looking pretty wild.  I did borrow a mower to reset the score, but I too have a type of mowing the lawn anxiety.

Ouch! I keep my lawn mower in the garage. I only got the lawn mower last week, so I didn't procrastinate long after I got it at least. *phew*

I hope your lawn mower is fixable!

55 minutes ago, Carpinus said:

Anxiety is a devil, and you're beating it, which is great. Overcoming it to mow some of the lawn is something you can be really proud of, and it sounds like you're hitting other goals too. Good work so far!

My Dad was big on mowing the lawn - he could work out how to solve the ills of the world while doing it - and I've inherited that. I've got a push mower and a small lawn, and it's meditation as far as I'm concerned!

I am really proud. And I'm so glad to see so many people understanding just how hard that was for me.

I like your Dad's style. I just put on some groovy music and went for it. :)

• Like 1

June 10

Energy/Willpower: Average to low day. I don't want to call it bad, but I was attacking something I knew could potentially derail me, but it would derail me more to avoid it (see Exercise)

Exercise

Started with a morning walk. Kinda short one because it was surprisingly cool outside.

I did my first NF yoga session this afternoon. It was surprisingly great. Every other time I've tried yoga I've wanted to run away and never touch it again, except I've had this feeling that I'll like it. So a gut instinct got me to try it again and this time I liked it. Downward Facing Dog is still waaaay to hard to hold for more than maybe 10 seconds (I probably hold it for less), but I could do it when it was just a transition pose. :)

I've been gearing up mentally to do this since I bought NF yoga early last week. Yes, that is about a week and a half. I don't use 20-seconds of courage. I mentally prepare over days instead. The release or use of this energy is probably the reason for the last paragraph of this update. (Yes, I'm sending you on to read more of my update!)

I walked over 5000 steps, although only barely. I had meant to take an evening walk to get the last couple of hundred steps I needed but suddenly felt without energy. This was my 14th day of the 5000 step goal, tomorrow the goal will be 6000. Today was the first day in more than two weeks that I walked less than 6000 steps so I don't see a problem with upping the total. (The end goal is 10'000 steps per day.)

Nutrition

I had no TV dinners.

I ate lunch in the time frame.

I also finally went grocery shopping because yoga didn't destroy my day as I expected. I felt energized for a while so used that to go buy food.

Level Up My Life

I didn't write. I didn't study craft. I really needed to do the second at least.

I will read fiction today, because fiction is my stress relief and when I feel like I do right now stress relief is exactly what I need.

I realized I haven't been mentioning the evening routine, but I've been doing it every day.

No lawn mowing today because the weather was dicy and it did rain. If it is sunny tomorrow so the grass dries, I'll mow some lawn at the end of the day, otherwise I'll see about Sunday. Unfortunately this might mean I won't finish the whole lawn this week and that seriously sucks. (It might bring back anxiety, hell I can already feel it nipping at my heels.)

Misc

Strange end to an otherwise good day. I feel the need to hide, to burrow down and not be seen. Not quite sure why that is. Maybe yoga took more out of my emotionally than I thought even though it was a success, or because it was a success? Who cares? I'll be up late tonight, then hopefully feel back to myself tomorrow.

• Like 1

Your description of looming-task-induced anxiety is so spot on. I definitely get the same thing. I'm working on conquering my procrastination and task-induced anxiety too. Why is it so insidious!?!

Congrats on not buying that TV dinner, by the way!

I'm curious what you mean by "studying craft." Care to share?

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Your description of looming-task-induced anxiety is so spot on. I definitely get the same thing. I'm working on conquering my procrastination and task-induced anxiety too. Why is it so insidious!?!

I know! And especially when I can't do anything about the procrastination (or not much) and it still hits like a brick.

Congrats on not buying that TV dinner, by the way!

Thanks, since I've been half-living on them all spring (and for the last X amount of years—I don't want to think about how long), being completely without for about a month now is great. I still eat a lot of processed food, but at least I have to spend some time cooking it. I'll reduce that eventually, but can't do it all at once, right? :)

I'm curious what you mean by "studying craft." Care to share?

Writing/story-telling craft. Everything that goes into writing fiction. This week I started a new online workshop, I also have some leftovers from an online workshop that finishes this week.

• Like 1

You're doing so well! The walking almost every day is going great and so far no TV dinners! Way to go you. 

I'm so glad you're back to reading fiction, that's really good idea- think I might do something like that for my next challenge. 

I know how you've been feeling about the obligation-induced anxiety (Dude, I feel you), but look at you- already started mowing the lawn, all about babysteps. 

Whenever I think about all the grown-up crap I gotta do, which is a lot right about now since I'm moving to a new place (I need to get a lease validated and signed, I have to get housing benefits, I have to pack all my stuff and move it...) I think of you and mowing your lawn. Seriously, that term- OIA- has transformed how I think about my obligations now. 

Also, sorta unrelated, you've been really supportive and helpful towards me when I'm feeling down and posting all those lovely comments on my thread. Thank you. I really do appreciate it. 

Keep up the excellent work! 

I'm no good with graceful exits because of social anxiety so whatever, toodles! 

Bjj4yWC.gif

• Like 2
2 hours ago, valkyrja said:

Seriously, that term- OIA- has transformed how I think about my obligations now. 

Mine too. All thanks to @Severine who clued me into the expression.

2 hours ago, valkyrja said:

I'm no good with graceful exits because of social anxiety so whatever, toodles! 

Bjj4yWC.gif

That is a fun exit though! :D

• Like 2

The Be Kind to Yourself update

June 11

This will be a different kind of update.

I woke up this morning utterly exhausted and uncaring of anything I looked at. No I won't say I was apathetic, if I'd use that word I'd say it was a mild form of it. I've been depressed and apathetic—that is when getting out of bed is hard, when putting on clothes is hard; my day was not that hard. But it sucked.

Still I went on a morning walk, then I decided to lean on people who cheer me on. Here is where I make a big shout out to @Laghail who just spent some time talking to me. We talked a little about why I felt like I felt. The bad sleep comes from staying up late and eating sugar until I went to bed—recipe for bad sleep which I knew but I was out of will power last night and didn't care about the consequences. But we also just talked.

It changed the trajectory of the whole day. It was really one simple question but it unlocked so many things in my mind. "How long have you been doing Zumba?" He asked because today I had planned to do Zumba, but in the state I woke up I would have been surprised if I even did all my steps. (Spoiler alert: I didn't do Zumba today.) So the question made me think. This time around I did it the first time April 30. So for 4-5 weeks (to lazy to check just like I was then, or then I didn't care) I did Zumba once a week, and the two weeks before this week I've done Zumba twice. My goal (since the challenge haven't started) was to do Zumba 1-2 times per week, that means I'm not missing this week even though I didn't do it today, because I've already done it once this week.

I've done quite a bit in the last month and a half (not quite 1.5 but close enough).

Achievements

1. Taking a walk every day for more than 30 days. Since I started the habit not even one day as gone by without a walk.
  2. Doing Zumba 1-2 times a week for 6 or so weeks.
  3. Eating no TV dinners for 2-3 weeks (I'm not 100% sure when I had the last one).
  4. Reading fiction for 15 minutes or more for more than 30 days (I just crossed that mark yesterday so 31 days now)
  5. I started with a step goal of 3000 per day and I am now up to 6000 steps per day (first day—success!), but technically before yesterday, I had walked more than 6000 steps for 28 days. Yesterday I had a crash in the evening so I only walked just enough for my goal which was 5000.

And this doesn't even mention my partial wins. My starts of habits that I'm still failing at every other day or so, but I've started to corral them into my life.

I've done a good fucking job, damnit.

This turned my day around. This realization, and the realization I needed to be kind to myself. I've set my challenge up in such a way that I am bond to fail.

So I'm going to modify it, because I'm going to be kind to myself and set myself up for success. So I'll copy the original goals in this post, edit them and then they will be edited back up in the first post. The original goals will only appear in this post after this. 

~*~*~*~*~

Exercise

1. 5'000 steps per day until June 10 (so before the challenge even officially starts...) (ALL DONE!!! No misses) — This is all good since I'm all done.
  2. 6'000 steps per day for 21 days (and then I will evaluate if I should raise it already and with how much or if I should stick with 6000 for the rest of the challenge) (21-28x total) — This is fine too. (Gave it a small tweak.)
  3. Morning routine of a walk within one hour of waking up. — This is optional, so I need to put some kind of parameters, what does optional mean? 2-3 misses a week is fine? How can it be optional when it is designed to be every day? So how many times per week...
  4. NEW AND IMPROVED=Morning routine of a walk within one hour of waking up 3 times per week. (12x total)
  5. Zumba 2x per week (8x total) —This looked fine to me until today. I'm still not used to working out even twice a week, so I aim for three with the yoga... Nu-uh!
  6. NEW AND IMPROVED=Zumba 1-2x per week (4-8x total)
  7. Yoga 1x per week (4x total) — This really is fine, but I didn't realize how much I would like it until I tried it. So I'm making a slight tweak so that if I manage three workouts in a week, I can do yoga twice and get credit to my challenge instead of just a little cheering.
  8. NEW AND IMPROVED=Yoga 1-2x per week (4-8x total)

Nutrition

1. No TV-diners (28x total) — This one is still good, and staying here because it is still early in my change and I don't trust it even if it has been fairly easy so far. (I've had no TV dinners at home and only been tempted to buy one once.) Eventually I'll be fine if I get one once in a while when I'm in a pinch and there is no salad bar, but I'm not ready for that stage yet. I gave it a small tweak, adding in the total.
  2. Start eating on regular times. Lunch ready to eat between noon and 13:00; dinner ready at latest 19:30. Only exception is when I don't cook (aka I'm eating at a friend's or similar) or when I have awkward travel/activities, and right now I don't have to really try to plan around them. (Beginner level) — This needs a qualifier like the morning routine one. I will feel better if I knew if I hit it or missed it.
  3. Eating 1 meal on schedule 4 different days per week. Lunch ready to eat between noon and 13:00; dinner ready at latest 19:30.

Level Up My Life

1. Read fiction 15 mins per day (just to be sure it has been cemented in again (read like crazy as a teenager)) — Still looks good like this.
  2. Study craft for 5 mins per day (I haz online workshop to do) — Another of the options. Scrap it!
  3. Study craft for 5 mins 5 days per week (20x total)
  4. Write minimum 100 words 3 x per week (12x total) — Looks good, but I've scraped the optional idea, so no more italics!
  5. Write minimum 100 words 3 x per week (12x total)
  6. Work up to evening routine v.3 and have done it for 5 days in a row (currently on v.2.5; 5-10 days in a row of a version and I move up) (28x total) — This is still good. Small tweak to add total.

~*~*~*~*~

I'm also adding two new section. I'll probably scratch through a lot of text that isn't relevant anymore.

Planned Changes and Acceptable Misses

I have some events planned during the challenge. Celebrating Midsummer (I am Swedish after all, even if I plan to celebrate by myself :() and a birthday celebration down in Stockholm so I have to travel for a couple of days (I planned to see friends when I was there anyway). Especially the travel might disturb the challenge a lot.

So on the Sundays before the weeks with fun interruptions, I will evaluate each goal and give myself permission to reduce quantity of them. There will be certain ones I'll need to get done (mainly study craft since I have an online workshop) and my bolded goals (non-negotiable!). All the rest can lose or be entirely optional during that week. I will edit the totals accordingly. I guess this also falls under my disclaimer. :P 

And now over to acceptable misses. Even if I suddenly became perfect that scheduling and priorities I am likely to miss a few times during the challenge. But if I don't define what success means with misses (instead of a perfect record), I will feel like I've failed completely and I would miss out on my reward. I still haven't failed at a goal, and I'm afraid I might let that derail me completely if I don't foresee that life isn't perfect and I need to plan for that (yes, fixing my goals did some of that).

So depending on the volume per week, I am allowed a certain amount of misses, but this is not whiney misses because I DON'T WANT TO. This is: I've mostly planned my week well and gotten stuff done but due to X I got totally derailed on Saturday/Sunday and there is no way I can hit all the goals before the week is out. And I get to be the arbitrary judge on this. Today would have been a day where misses would have been acceptable. Some days this week I might have been a smidgen too lenient. However, if I've fucked around and had bad time management, then it is not an acceptable miss just because I feel a little bad; I've made allowances for feeling a little bad some days by not having every goal be an EVERY DAY goal.

Every day: 6 acceptable misses per week, no more than two per week (obviously I can't miss two each week since I would be out of misses by week 4).

4-5 days per week: 3 acceptable misses total, no more than one per week.

3 days per week: 2 acceptable misses total, no more than one per week.

If I make up the miss the week after it happened—and it only counts as a make up if I've already done all other goals planned for that day and I didn't already have to do that goal that day—I don't get my miss back, but I can count the previous week as perfect. (This is liable to be killed, but I think I like it right now.)

Reward

I have an idea for a reward, but I don't want to jinx myself. If there are still tickets (tickets I prefer even), then I will go to this mysterious event I'm thinking of. I get the reward if I do all my goals with the acceptable exceptions (planned changes and acceptable misses). Maybe in week four when I know if there is a chance I can do it, I will reveal the reward as a final push to get everything done.

~*~*~*~*~

These changes are what being Kind to Myself today is about.

If you did tl;dr, this is the take-away of my day:

I think we should all be kind to yourselves.

PS. I did walk in the morning. I did 6000 steps. I ate no TV dinners. I had dinner ready in time. I read fiction. I studied craft. I guess that was the tl;dr version of my daily update.

PPS. tl;drr, aka too long; didn't re-read it to fix errors. Cheers!

• Like 5

It's so good to see you reevaluating your challenge, it was an experiment and now you're adjusting it accordingly. I totally agree with you that being kinder to yourself is definitely something you need to focus on. It's something we all should focus on. By setting ourselves up for failure, which is what you're talking about, you demotivate yourself so much instead of focusing on the overall picture. I relate to this because I missed two activities yesterday and I've been beating myself up about it when I should be looking for solutions- exactly like how you're doing. 

I think your new and improved challenge is just going to help you feel better about yourself and work harder. We all need to tweak and adjust our goals every once in a while. 

I'm sorry you had a rough day and had a nasty visit from the depression fairy. *hug*. I'm so glad you reached out to someone and talked about it, it's the number one thing that helps me get out of my funk at least. It's good to see that you are aware of that life isn't going to be perfect and sometimes you're going to "fail" at reaching a certain goal but that's ok. Success in an overall improvement in the right direction over time. 

And you really are making improvements, you can tell! Best of luck. 

• Like 2

Thanks @valkyrja!

11 hours ago, valkyrja said:

I relate to this because I missed two activities yesterday and I've been beating myself up about it when I should be looking for solutions- exactly like how you're doing. 

In the scheme of things, missing two activities is nothing, right? But as you said, we too often beat ourselves up about it. Especially if we had good reasons for missing. Feeling out of control is never fun.

We can do this! :D

• Like 2

I am absolutely loving this thread. Your approach makes so much sense to me and I strongly agree with your philosophy that in order to improve ourselves and our habits, we need to start from a place of kindness and self-acceptance rather than disapproval and self-criticism. We put the most work, and the best quality work, into a thing when we treasure it and value it, not when we think it's worthless, right? So we have to think of ourselves as good people worth investing in. Kindness is important, and realistic goals, and celebrating important progress even when it's not 100%. Better to achieve 75% of your goals and celebrate it, and then build on that positive momentum to keep working, than to get sad and disappointed for not hitting 100% and decide to give up.

I didn't know you're Swedish! I used to be very good friends with a woman in Upsala who I met playing Everquest 2 because I'm a big nerd. She has a child now so we don't talk as much anymore, but at least I get to see the cute baby pictures on Instagram :D  She taught me a lot about Swedish culture, including the most important thing: the Christmas goat from the town where she grew up. Every year now, at Christmas, I check to see how it's doing! That poor Christmas goat.

I also want to say a huge congratulations on the things you've accomplished thus far. I love that you stopped and made a list of your victories and took time to recognize how far you've come. It's so so so important not to let ourselves expect too much too soon. I remember once upon a time when I was eating WAY too much chocolate every day, I decided to try to cut back. At first I tried to cut it down to nothing or almost nothing, and that was doomed to fail. The second time around I took a different approach: I reduced the amount by just a bit. Part of me (the brainweasels) thought this was very stupid, because the new amount was still way too much, and it felt silly to be celebrating eating too much chocolate. But the other wiser parts of me (I wonder what animal that is?) recognized that, for me, eating that amount WAS a victory and it was okay to celebrate that as a stepping stone in the right direction. And it worked! I was able to more slowly readjust my habits without withdrawal-induced binge eating.

Anyway, I think it's great that you're designing your challenge for your real life and with a realistic image of your personality in mind. You're flexible, but in a smart and forgiving way, not an excuse-making way. It makes me very optimistic that you will succeed and I intend to be here to see it :D

Re: the writing - fantastic! I love writing and although I don't do it professionally it's deeply important to my life and my mental/emotional life. I hope the workshop is rewarding and interesting. Same with reading. I think regular reading makes me a more imaginative, thoughtful person with a wider perspective on people and the world. Making time for it seems to me like a very admirable endeavour.

Delighted that you turned a bad morning into a very productive manifestation of self-awareness and intelligent goal design.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 12 Jun 2016 at 2:34 PM, Severine said:

I didn't know you're Swedish! I used to be very good friends with a woman in Upsala who I met playing Everquest 2 because I'm a big nerd. She has a child now so we don't talk as much anymore, but at least I get to see the cute baby pictures on Instagram :D  She taught me a lot about Swedish culture, including the most important thing: the Christmas goat from the town where she grew up. Every year now, at Christmas, I check to see how it's doing! That poor Christmas goat.

Hehe, Gävle bocken, yes. Poor guy.

On 12 Jun 2016 at 2:34 PM, Severine said:

I also want to say a huge congratulations on the things you've accomplished thus far. I love that you stopped and made a list of your victories and took time to recognize how far you've come. It's so so so important not to let ourselves expect too much too soon. I remember once upon a time when I was eating WAY too much chocolate every day, I decided to try to cut back. At first I tried to cut it down to nothing or almost nothing, and that was doomed to fail. The second time around I took a different approach: I reduced the amount by just a bit. Part of me (the brainweasels) thought this was very stupid, because the new amount was still way too much, and it felt silly to be celebrating eating too much chocolate. But the other wiser parts of me (I wonder what animal that is?) recognized that, for me, eating that amount WAS a victory and it was okay to celebrate that as a stepping stone in the right direction. And it worked! I was able to more slowly readjust my habits without withdrawal-induced binge eating.

Congratulations on your success however far you've come with reducing chocolate. Moving in the right direction is always important, it is all that matters.

Although it is hard when the steps seems so ridiculously small, or when all you feel like doing is hiding and forgetting all this stuff you are trying to do.

• Like 1

June 12

Energy/Willpower: I don't quite remember. It wasn't a bad day I think, but not a good day either. So average I guess. Although I didn't do most tasks until evening.

Exercise

Walked in the morning. Did 6000 steps.

Nutrition

Didn't make any of my meal times. Had no TV dinners.

Level Up My Life

Read fiction.

Wrote fiction.

Studied fiction.

Misc

I really need to update the same day to fully remember what happened and not.

• Like 2