Dagger Builds a Homebase

Dagger

Dagger that was a beautiful post. Introspective and insightful, full of honesty and thoughtfulness. I was nodding in agreement the whole time.

I'm thrilled you found a clothing store that offers the clothes you want in your size!! If you ever need something shipped from the US, let me know, haha. I've always been proud to say that I was not very hung up on my looks (sometimes it was true, sometimes wishful thinking) but I think it's important that even if we don't feel like our looks are especially important to us, we should still feel comfortable in our own skin and feel good about our bodies. And it's almost impossible to do that unless you can find clothes that fit. I'm happy the plus-sized clothing industry is changing things for people.

It's interesting to me that my weight gain history is about the same as yours. I was "normal" sized until about age 16, and then I gained about 5-10 pounds a year until my highest weight, which was about 270. After a few years of that, I started weight loss. Got down to 170, and then over time got complacent and went back to bad emotional eating habits, and regained some of it. So now I am getting back to 170, and working on fitness, and finding a sustainable way to maintain my weight, and actually dealing with the emotional eating instead of just losing weight but not addressing the underlying issues that caused my weight gain in the first place.

About clothing: I remember when I got down to about 170 and I was wearing size 14 (in US sizes) and for the first time as an adult I could walk into pretty much any store and find clothes that fit me. It was surreal. I discovered that clothing is a lot more fun if it's actually accessible to you. I imagine you too will have the same experience :)

I'm definitely the same as you when it comes to motivation: hating my body doesn't work. Believe me, I tried (and my mother tried "helping" by hating my body too, and telling me about it) but it just makes me hide and deny. What does work for me is caring for myself and my body, and reminding myself that I have a lot of potential and I'm worth investing effort in. So now, part of my goal-setting involves finding things I enjoy, things that will make me feel good about myself, because I've learned that when I succeed I feel good and then I am more likely to stay on track. It builds momentum. Plus it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable than self-loathing, even if it worked.

You're doing great and I feel sure that you are making very positive changes for yourself :) 

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

15 hours ago, Grymm said:

If you are having trouble writing, it's at least a place to start and usually starting is the hardest part.

Yeah, starting is the hardest. But the starting part that I have trouble with is doing BIC (butt in chair) and HOK (hands on keyboard). If I get into the chair and have the document in front of me I can usually just write. :)

13 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

You're doing great! Keep it up!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

10 hours ago, Severine said:

I've always been proud to say that I was not very hung up on my looks (sometimes it was true, sometimes wishful thinking) but I think it's important that even if we don't feel like our looks are especially important to us, we should still feel comfortable in our own skin and feel good about our bodies. And it's almost impossible to do that unless you can find clothes that fit.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. I run my appearance like I do a lot of other stuff. I want it to take as little time as possible, but still look good. So I have a haircut that doesn't need any work except for combing it in the morning.

10 hours ago, Severine said:

Dagger that was a beautiful post. Introspective and insightful, full of honesty and thoughtfulness. I was nodding in agreement the whole time.

Thank you. :)

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

June 17 - Day 5, Week 1

I woke up a little earlier than usual (the alarm was accidentally off). Since my plan is to move my wake up time earlier. I am happy with that.

I don't know how to classify this day. I didn't do much more than the minimum, but I had a throughly nice day. I guess it became an unplanned off-day where I just spent most of the day doing things I really enjoy.

Exercise

Steps: 5/28

Morning routine: 3/3, week 1 — DONE

Zumba: 1 of 1-2, week 1 — DONE (I'll not get to another this week)

Yoga: 0 of 1-2, week 1

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 5/28

Meal on schedule: 3/4, week 1

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 0/300 words, week 1

Studying: 1/3, week 1

Reading: 5/28

Evening routine: 5/28

Misc

So what did I do?

I had a long nice talk with someone. I went for two walks. I read fiction. I played Super Mario Galaxy. I watched Castle. I read non-fiction about hiking trails. And I guess that is basically it. And I don't mind. One day like this every so often is just a very nice day. (I'd grow crazy if I lived like this most days.)

• Like 2

Planned Changes and Acceptable Misses

I love this! So much of our challenges are about asking ourselves questions, and I certainly have left myself feeling low after failing on a part of my challenge that didn't make sense after a few weeks. It's an ongoing process and adjusting is part of the trial and error, just so long as it doesn't become a crutch. Great call coming with a great attitude!!! Keep it up yo. :D

Sent from somewhere in the universe

• Like 2

I agree with Grymm. On writing and losing kg.  That's an awesome way of looking at things. When I'm writing in my journal I think that years after I'm dead my children might read it, but doing that I watch my grammar and saying certain things. I bought a legal pad where I can just flow words, not worrying about anything but my thoughts and it's soo relaxing.

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I love this! So much of our challenges are about asking ourselves questions, and I certainly have left myself feeling low after failing on a part of my challenge that didn't make sense after a few weeks. It's an ongoing process and adjusting is part of the trial and error, just so long as it doesn't become a crutch. Great call coming with a great attitude!!! Keep it up yo. :D

Sent from somewhere in the universe

Thanks! I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff. Like this first week, I adjusted more goals instead of using misses because they were and were not acceptable. I also had unplanned errands days which would have been counted as an event. I need to remember to account for that in my challenges going forward. (Just made a note about that on my goal ideas for July challenge.)

3 hours ago, Butternut said:

I bought a legal pad where I can just flow words, not worrying about anything but my thoughts and it's soo relaxing.

It is always great to find ways to relax. I take walks to do the same thing where I compose emails I will never send, blog posts I will never post and just generally think all those thoughts that have no room while being productive.

1 hour ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

A thoroughly nice day sounds like what you needed. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for saying that. You are so right. I needed that. It is so easy to be recriminating.

All I could think of was that I had already had two days of barely doing any challenge items and then I took a day off? But it wasn't like I did nothing on those days. It isn't like other things in my life aren't harder than I want them to be.

So thanks for muting the voice questioning my sanity over my nice day. This challenge keep hitting things deep inside me. I guess that is good because I can deal with them, but it also means I need a lot of mental breaks where I can just relax.

• Like 1

June 18 - Day 6, Week 1

I woke up early-ish for me. (Have anyone noticed how I avoid saying when I wake up. Yes I am embarrassed at home late I sleep.) I did not go for a morning walk.

I felt tired so I took it slow with a cup of tea except for actually doing some studying before lunch. Go me!

How would I classify today? Slow, but productive—well, productive for me or at least for this week. Actually I know what to call today: AVERAGE. Yep, didn't feel bad, doesn't feel great, bordering on good but that is more mood. Looking at what I got done it was good. My mood has just been kind of level today with a few dips, not many peaks (peaks means happy).

Exercise

Steps: 6/28

Yoga: 1 of 1-2, week 1 — DONE (ditto Zumba comment)

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 6/28

Meal on schedule: 3/4, week 1

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 0/300 words, week 1

Studying: 2/3, week 1

Reading: 6/28

Evening routine: 5/28 (will update tomorrow if I did it, my evening routine might as well be called going-to-sleep routine)

Misc

By dinner time I had only taken 1500 steps. I guess yoga doesn't generate many steps from my fitbit. :P So I took about an hour long walk to get my steps after dinner.

Yoga didn't give me the high it did the first time, probably because it didn't surprise me this time. I still liked it. I like that I feel like I can do most poses in some manner. (Damn you downward dog! You drag down my average. :P)

I find it interesting how I feel. I guess I feel a little empty right now. Not like a vacuum where it feels like a hole, but more like there isn't anything to touch on neither good nor bad. I hit as many challenge goals as I want on any given day, actually more considering I did two of the hard ones (Zumba, yoga, writing, studying) on the same day.

I've enjoyed both the fiction and non-fiction reading I've done today (started another book by Kristine Kathryn Rusch in her Retrieval Artist series; read NF academy articles).

Nothing profound to add today, or maybe I'm just not seeing it. (Why yes, I am poking fun at myself. :))

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Glad you're sticking with it! Onto week 2!

Thanks! My week 2 actually starts on Monday. I didn't want to change how I see weeks just for a challenge. I have a few things I need to it today to finish of the week great, and I think I can do them. :)

• Like 2

June 19 - Day 7, Week 1

It rained a lot today during the day. The day was pretty good except for a bump in the evening. Ignoring the bump I would say today was pretty good, except for some resistance on finishing up this week of the online workshop I'm taking (it is part of my studying goal); but I did finish it with a little encouragement.

Exercise

Steps: 7/28  — first week DONE

Yoga: 1 of 1-2, week 1 — DONE (ditto Zumba comment)

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 7/28  — first week DONE

Meal on schedule: 4/4 (lunch), week 1 — DONE

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 300/300 words, week 1 — DONE (last day still counts because enough words, yay)

Studying: 3/3, week 1 — DONE

Reading: 7/28  — first week DONE

Evening routine: 6/28 (will update tomorrow if I did it, my evening routine might as well be called going-to-sleep routine) — Tomorrow I can claim the first week completely done, I am unlikely to skip this tonight.

Misc

So the first week is done and I can say I hit everything (evening routine will happen!!!). Tomorrow when it isn't so late I will review the first week to see how my energy/emotions went over the week. I'll also just talk about it in general and perhaps figure out what I could have done better.

Tomorrow I will also tell how I will modify week 2, because I desperately need to. I thought I would celebrate midsummer by myself so I would have counted one day off, but instead a friend is coming over Friday before noon and staying until Sunday evening. That is almost three whole days, plus because I will have a guest I need to go for a longer errand (planned for tomorrow) and I expect to get nothing else done on that errand day (so perfect for writing longer forum posts!).

• Like 1

I'll do the review of week one later (considering I plan to go through each daily post one at a time to truly see how it went, I need to have a good block of time.

Instead I'll tell more of the changes for week 2.

Week 2 — Planned Changes

So basically I'm losing four days this week, three to a friend visiting and sleeping over, and one to errands.

So let us go through each goal and see if I will make any changes!

Exercise

Steps: No reason to change. 6000 steps a day is something I definitely want to hit each day. If it means taking a walk by myself while my friend is visiting than so be it. (If she wants to come, she is welcome (this is what will probably happen).)

Morning routine: So normally I have it for 3 days, and I really should be able to do this despite my friend visiting. So I won't change this now, but I'll see how the plan survives contact with the enemy... friend?

Zumba AND Yoga: I will do one of them during my free three days. Then I asked if my friend wanted to do Yoga with me while she was here. She said yes, but we'll see how that survives too, but it is a possibility. I guess that means that in the next three days (Tues-Thurs) I should do Zumba once, but we'll see. If I do yoga twice because I did it with my friend, I am fine. One session of yoga or Zumba will happen, and then maybe yoga with friend.

Change(s): I will do either Zumba or Yoga once.

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: This will still happen. I see no reason why I'd change my normal days and why would my friend insist we eat TV dinners? (She would't.)

Meal on schedule: I don't know how well I can keep to the meal timing while my friend is here. My whole schedule will basically be out the window. But I will try for four, and make an extra effort to get most/all done before my friend arrives (that is exactly four days, so it is possible).

Change(s): I might have to lower the amount of meals on schedule, but once again I'll re-evaluate when contact with the enemy happens. (I'm referencing Sun Tzu if you haven't read that.)

Level Up My Life

Writing: I'm making this one optional. Because I'm in an online workshop with weekly deadlines and I need to review an old workshop. Due to the reduced amount of days I really need to hit the studying first.

Studying: It would be nice if I study on three separate days, but I will call it a win if I keep up with this week of the workshop and review half a week of the old workshop. If all that happens on 1-2 days, I don't care. If I get it done, I've done it. If I manage to study on three separate days I get it as checked (even if I don't finish 1,5 week of two workshops).

Reading: This should be no problem. I will probably just read less (yes, I generally read more than 15 minutes), but that won't affect the goal.

Evening routine: No need to change this.

Change(s): Writing is optional. Studying is either 5 mins on 3 days or finish 1 week of current workshop and 0,5 week of reviewing old workshop.

~*~*~*~*~

I think studying will be the hardest task. I will probably sit with that one on Sunday evening, cursing myself for not getting more done earlier in the week. (That is what usually happens, so wouldn't be a surprise.)

So here is a loose plan:

Monday — Errands (needed (or rather WANTED) furniture for my sun room so my friend and I can be there if it is raining)

Tuesday — Workout day or Study day

Wednesday — Workout day or Study day

Thursday — Clean the house so it is nice when friend arrives

Friday-Sunday — Have fun with my friend probably doing this: celebrating Midsummer, hiking along a local river/lake, and yoga. Plus some video games and/or broad games.

Now we'll see if I took vatten över huvudet (equivalent English expressions/idioms: bitting off more than you can chew OR in over your head).

18 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

You are doing a great job. Nailed it the first week, now just keep the momentum going!

Thank you! I'm going to do my best. :3

Week 1 Review

These are mostly decided by what energy I reported mixed with how much I got done, but how much I get done is tied to energy so...

Good days: Tuesday, Sunday

Average days: Wednesday, Friday (rest day, not much done but no energy/emotional problems really), Saturday

Bad days: Monday (although almost alright), Thursday

So basically I have an even number of all types of days (as even as you can get when dividing 7/3 and not allowing any parts).

Started low and then jumped to high, then slowly went down (to ave and then to bad), then I climbed back up with a longer stop in the middle.

The reason I'm doing this is to see if I have patterns. If I learn my patterns, I can start manipulating them and/or use them ruthlessly. So if I know I will most likely have a low day, I can plan activities I know I can still make myself do on such a day. If I know I will mostly likely a good day I can plan to do more things or more of a few things. But I'll see as the weeks go on if there is a pattern or just completely dependent on what I do.

# of workout days: 1.5

# of errands/chores days: 2

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 1.5

# of "normal"* days: 2

*This thing called normal is just an illusion. But it is the best word I have to describe a day that didn't have any special focus.

Goals: I hit them all for week 1. I did revise them during the first week when I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew.

Upgrades for better habits: standing desk things arrived (are outside to air out some wood treatment scent), paleo cookbook, and local hiking trail book & pamphlets.

Extras: Long post about my body image and how it has improved

Overall I am very happy with week 1. I pushed myself on a few days (off the top of my head: Saturday, Sunday; so I pushed to get the week done right). On errands days I felt like a failure because I didn't get anything else done, but I feel so drained after a lot of errands so I need to get over myself; eventually errands won't drain me as much... probably, but I can certainly deal with my bad mindset about errand days.

EDIT: Since I added chore day to errands day, I adjusted the count somewhat. On one of my workout days I also mowed the lawn, and mowing the lawn is a big deal chore and any day that I do that on gets to be partly counted as a chore day.

• Like 3

June 20 - Day 1, Week 2 (Day 8)

Average day. Errands day.

I woke up feeling quite tired. Fucked around with the internet for more than an hour (I could totally have done a morning walk...). Then I went driving to a nearby city 40 minutes away to visit IKEA. The rest of the day was used to update my challenge thread with week 1 review and plans for week 2 and such.

Exercise

Steps: 8/28

Morning routine: 0/3, week 2

Zumba/Yoga: 0 of 1-2, week 2 (Temporary change for this week)

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 8/28 

Meal on schedule: 1/4 (dinner), week 2

Level Up My Life

(OPTIONAL: Writing: 0/3 or 300/300 words, week 2)

Studying: 0/3 days or 0/1.5 workshop weeks, week 2

Reading: 7/28 (will update tomorrow if I did it)

Evening routine: 7/28 (will update tomorrow if I did it)

Misc

Since I have a guest coming, I wanted to get furniture for my sunroom. I have outdoor furniture for when it is sunny, but it might not be so now IKEA will deliver a table and four chairs for my sunroom. I also bought a lot of other stuff, some planned, some not-planned, and some things I needed but didn't know IKEA had. So in that way a good day, but I didn't do much for my challenge and neither was I that full of energy so I marked it as an average day. That is what it feels like.

I haz nothing witty to add. Too mentally tired now after visiting IKEA. I'll go play.

On 6/19/2016 at 6:53 AM, Dagger said:

I guess I feel a little empty right now. Not like a vacuum where it feels like a hole, but more like there isn't anything to touch on neither good nor bad.

That's a nice spot to be in, balanced :)

5 hours ago, Dagger said:

Too mentally tired now after visiting IKEA

I know exactly what you mean, it's one of the most draining experiences in life!

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

8 hours ago, Endor said:

That's a nice spot to be in, balanced :)

I suppose. I prefer to feel happy, energetic, positive, optimistic or other vaguely positive things. Feeling neither good nor bad for me is like a holding state that feels almost a little creepy. But we are all different.

8 hours ago, Endor said:

I know exactly what you mean, it's one of the most draining experiences in life!

Total agreement. I came out of it with pretty good stuff though and not feeling like I bought too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Just think of the exercise you'll get putting together all the stuff you bought at IKEA! :) 

Unfortunately/fortunately it was only one thing that needed to be put together this time. And I just did it in my sun room with the sun shining in. Very hot and sweaty although I suspect most of the sweat came from the heat.

But all the IKEA stuff have made my run around my house more than usual, so that is good. :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Just think of the exercise you'll get putting together all the stuff you bought at IKEA! :) 

6 hours ago, Dagger said:

Unfortunately/fortunately it was only one thing that needed to be put together this time. And I just did it in my sun room with the sun shining in. Very hot and sweaty although I suspect most of the sweat came from the heat.

But all the IKEA stuff have made my run around my house more than usual, so that is good. :)

Wait I changed my mind. I got some kind of workout out of it.

I didn't have to build the chairs, but they were seriously wrapped up well. First some foamy thin thing. Then cardboard on top of that. And then meters of twine to keep it in place. Seriously. And since they could wrap the twine through all the holes in the back and around each leg and both arms and stuff... First I had to fight to get my chairs free. Then I had to spend 10 minutes bending down and picking up all the crap and put it in different bags to be recycled...

June 21 - Day 2, Week 2 (Day 9)

Average day. Chores/"Normal"(?) day.

I woke up feeling quite tired, but got out for a morning walk in the nick of time (basically more or less exactly one hour after waking up). Then I did some fun things before making lunch on time. Then the afternoon was spent doing chores with fiction reading breaks.

Exercise

Steps: 9/28

Morning routine: 1/3, week 2

Zumba/Yoga: 0 of 1-2, week 2 (Temporary change for this week)

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 9/28 

Meal on schedule: 2/4 (lunch), week 2

Level Up My Life

(OPTIONAL: Writing: 0/3 or 300/300 words, week 2)

Studying: 0/3 days or 0/1.5 workshop weeks, week 2

Reading: 9/28

Evening routine: 8/28 (will update tomorrow if I did it)

Misc

Dinner became very late. Didn't start cooking until just after 21:00. So felt a lack of energy when I started cooking because that is usually the latest I start eating.

I got a lot of chores done. I am happy with the amount I did. My sunroom now have a table and four chairs. I washed dishes by hand and by machine. I washed clothes, changed sheets on the bed. I moved some furniture around in the hall to get them as I've planned to have them for a while. I also did clearing of items in a couple of places and put most of the new IKEA things into their right spots.

Since the morning walk was long enough, I got the rest of my steps fixing stuff at home.

The book I finished was Consequences by Kristine Kathryn Rusch in her Retrieval Artist series. I can really recommend this to mystery readers as long as SF isn't abhorrent to you. It isn't hard SF, so even a non-science person like me really enjoys it. Now I'm planing to get the next book in the series and cap the day with some more fiction reading.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

I didn't have to build the chairs, but they were seriously wrapped up well. First some foamy thin thing. Then cardboard on top of that. And then meters of twine to keep it in place. Seriously. And since they could wrap the twine through all the holes in the back and around each leg and both arms and stuff... First I had to fight to get my chairs free. Then I had to spend 10 minutes bending down and picking up all the crap and put it in different bags to be recycled...

There should be a level up challenge in the Academy solely devoted to IKEA.

• Like 3

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO