Dagger Builds a Homebase

Dagger

5 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

I sometimes find that when I go back to sleep after the inital wake up I end up with a headache and feeling like a Caterpillar and not the animal one ran over me.

Sometimes I feel worse for falling asleep again, usually because the next time I wake I wake in the wrong point of the sleep cycle. So I hear ya.

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Yargh I go away for a couple days and people start saying nice things about me. People saying nice things about me makes my face turn unattractively red and my shoulders hunch up to my ears  :unsure:

NF Camp sounds like a great reward!! Also you're so fantastically consistent with documenting things and keeping your thread updated and I am a bit in awe :D

Great job this week and for this whole challenge!!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

4 minutes ago, Severine said:

Yargh I go away for a couple days and people start saying nice things about me. People saying nice things about me makes my face turn unattractively red and my shoulders hunch up to my ears  :unsure:

Well deserved!

5 minutes ago, Severine said:

Also you're so fantastically consistent with documenting things and keeping your thread updated and I am a bit in awe :D

:ph34r: *hides the red cheeks*

I spend far too much time on the computer... ^^

6 minutes ago, Severine said:

Great job this week and for this whole challenge!!

Thanks! :D

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

July 8 - Day 5, Week 4 (Day 26)

Good day. "Normal" day.

So here is another report from consistency Dagger.

Started the day fairly well for once. Not super duper tired, but still up much later than wanted.

Exercise

Steps: 26/28 

Morning routine: 3/3, week 4 — DONE (and apparently I've been saying week 1 on this one for four weeks...) 

Zumba: 0 of 0-1, week 4

Yoga: 1 of 1-2, week 4

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 26/28

Meal on schedule: 3/4, week 4

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 0/300 words, week 4

Studying: 2/3 days, week 4

Reading: 26/28

Evening routine: 25/28 (tomorrow will tell)

Misc

Lots of reading happened today.

Started the day with only a slightly late morning walk (as in 1 hour and 15 minutes after I awoke, so it counted). Continued with lunch on time (a meatballs and cheese salad).

Then I started reading and kind of got stuck until the book ended around 16:00. Then I kinda played Plants vs Zombies...

Then I did some studying!

Then dinner (meat sauce with pasta and a side-salad). Then walk with a podcast. Now this.

I still need to do the convenience post. I will try to do that tomorrow.

I haz three important things to hit this weekend: workout (probably yoga again since I changed so I can do that), writing, and studying (until done with this week). I don't like having three important things, especially not when there is this tentative plan to go to a medieval faire on Sunday.

There is potential trouble in paradise. Ze Dagger will figure it out.

• Like 1

July 9 - Day 6, Week 4 (Day 27)

Good day. "Normal" day.

I completely forgot I was supposed to do yoga today. It meant it didn't happen.

Exercise

Steps: 27/28 

Morning routine: 3/3, week 4 — DONE

Zumba: 0 of 0-1, week 4

Yoga: 1 of 1-2, week 4

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 27/28

Meal on schedule: 4/4, week 4 — DONE

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 300/300 words, week 4 — DONE

Studying: 2/3 days, week 4

Reading: 27/28

Evening routine: 26/28 (tomorrow will tell)

Misc

Started the day with a long walk. I ran an errand for my morning walk and got about 5000 steps.

Then I did lunch and first after lunch did I remember I had meant to do yoga today. By this time it was too late to refocus my mind, even though I tried by changing into workout clothes.

Felt slightly off after that and there was very little of a very good book that I wanted to finish. So that is what happened most of the afternoon plus a couple of hours after dinner. I'm currently in the middle of an 8 book long series within a series and I just finished book 2. I'm surprised I get anything else done, considering the amount of time I'm spending reading.

I did refocus after finishing the book at 22:00 to write 300 words. That way I "only" have a workout and studying to do tomorrow. I could get both done...

Except, I might be going to a medieval faire...? I haven't talked to my parents about it, and I was going to go with them. Do I want to go without them too? I don't know. I got a medieval faire in late May, and one a year sounds like enough for me...

So I don't know what will happen tomorrow, and I don't like it. The loose plan was to go to the faire as long as it was nice weather, but I want to do yoga and studying. If I go to the faire, I'm not sure I can make myself do both, unless I do something radical. (If you didn't notice, I'm thinking on the page.)

I might have an idea. I'll report tomorrow how it went.

• Like 2

July 10 - Day 7, Week 4 (Day 28)

Good day. Workout/Chores day.

On 9 Jul 2016 at 10:39 PM, Dagger said:

I might have an idea. I'll report tomorrow how it went.

The idea was pretty simple really, but if I'd told it I might not have done it. (Yes, my mind is messed up.)

Basically I was going to do yoga more or less first thing, that way if I went to the faire I'd have the yoga done first and I could do the studying after I got home.

Exercise

Steps: 28/28 — DONE

Morning routine: 3/3, week 4 — DONE

Zumba: 0 of 0-1, week 4 — Did yoga twice instead, the requirement was workout twice per week

Yoga: 2 of 1-2, week 4 — DONE

Nutrition

No TV-dinners: 28/28 — DONE

Meal on schedule: 4/4, week 4 — DONE

Level Up My Life

Writing: 0/3 or 300/300 words, week 4 — DONE

Studying: 3/3 days, week 4 — DONE

Reading: 28/28 — DONE

Evening routine: 27/28 — Well, we'll see tomorrow.

Misc

So after getting up, I ate a little breakfast for the first time in more than two months and then I did yoga.

After a late lunch, my parents hadn't contacted me about the faire. Of course, I could have...

Anyway, so I didn't go to the faire.

I stayed home. I did a lot of chores in the afternoon—washing clothes and dishes mainly—and finished with a little studying. I could have finished stronger today, but I actually forgot I needed to study more after dinner.

So when I got back from a walk getting me most of the steps of the day I chilled with Plants vs Zombies and a book instead. Oops.

At least this week's assignment for the studying is more a thinking exercise for myself and won't really give feedback. And since I'm too tired to do any useful thinking, I'll do the assignment tomorrow and hope for the best.

Tomorrow is also the day for the Week 4 review as well as an overall challenge review as well as an update to my battle log. I'm not sure I'll get it all done tomorrow, but I will see tomorrow as mostly a rest/normal day.

• Like 2

Did I see you saying you normally don't eat breakfast? Why is that?

Also, have you noticed that you've been doing an amazing job at finishing all your challenge goals? Very consistent!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Looking at your review from Week 3, just wanted to say I find it easier to see patterns between challenges than between weeks :) 

Looking forward to Week 4 review!

• Like 1

Apprentice of Intent .  Lvl X Druidu Bronze IV

Epic Quest | Battle Log | Current Challenge

' Who has the time to stall reaching hus highest potential? Death tells me "I'm a fickle thing, and I see you." ' •Aerisand

8 hours ago, Severine said:

Did I see you saying you normally don't eat breakfast? Why is that?

When I was a teenager two factors contributed to the fact that I stopped eating breakfast.

1. We had crappy breakfast food at home. I grew up with three brothers. My brothers ate so freaking much my parents gave up after a while on making sure certain products were always in stock. The main thing: soft bread. Why do I call it soft bread? Because in Sweden, we have crisp bread (which seems to be the translation) and I've always found that dry. That would be the main breakfast food we had at home and I didn't like it.
  2. I loved sleep more than food in the morning.

After you get out of the habit, it is surprisingly hard to start it up again. Combine that with no particular affection for common breakfasts food, I just never started eating breakfast again except when I stay in hotels or when I stay with people who eat it.

I also get tired of eating the same thing again and again.

Also, after I hadn't eaten breakfast for a while, my stomach got averse to having stuff stuffed in it soon after waking up. I need at least an hour before I can eat, and even then I tend to eat breakfast much slower than any other meal.

Currently I can set my own schedule and I'm struggling with getting myself back on an earlier wake up time. Right now, I awake up between 1-3 hours before lunch time, so I don't need to eat before lunch, I generally don't even feel hungry before lunch time.

When I get my wake up time back to 7 or 8 AM, I probably will have to eat something little at least between waking up and lunch. So then I will probably start eating something breakfasty.

8 hours ago, Severine said:

Also, have you noticed that you've been doing an amazing job at finishing all your challenge goals? Very consistent!

Thanks. Some things aren't as consistent which my challenge review will show. For example, I had two weeks where I found it alright to skip out on the writing goal. Don't get me wrong, those weeks needed a little less pressure for different reasons, but it still means I only wrote Week 1 and Week 4. Not so consistent. :/

But I should not focus on the negative, because so much of it was positive. :)

7 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

Looking at your review from Week 3, just wanted to say I find it easier to see patterns between challenges than between weeks :) 

Looking forward to Week 4 review!

Good to know. I just hoped I'd find some kind of pattern between good, average, and bad days to see if I can predict them better or even mitigate them. I want to only have bad days when I've gotten really bad news, not just because general shit (excuse my language).

Thanks! It will happen today!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

Great job! It looks like you're learning a lot about yourself from the challenge, which can be leveraged into future improvements. Keep it up!

Thanks! It feels like that to me too. :)

Week 4 Review

Week 4

Good days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Average days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Bad days: 

A really good week. Well half good and half average. But average is fine with me. Remember that discussion I had about being content being my goal rather than happiness since happiness is unsustainable as a continuous state? I'm often content with an average day. Sure sometimes I mark it average because the day had some bad bits, but didn't completely derail. But if I can have my life be mainly good and average days I'll be a happy content woman.

~*~*~*~*~

Week 4

# of workout days: 1,5

# of errands/chores days: 1,5

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 1

# of "normal"* days: 3

# of sick days: 0

*This thing called normal is just an illusion. But it is the best word I have to describe a day that didn't have any special focus.

So this looks more like I'd expect a week to look like. Most days are normal and then a few days with a focus. Although I wonder if I get more into routine, if I won't have more specific days because I can get a lot done of one task if I focus on it. But at the same time, to get there I'd need to get so comfortable with some tasks that they no longer required their own days *cough* workouts *cough* studying (yes, I call them normal because otherwise the tracking would get ridiculous) *cough* workouts *cough*

~*~*~*~*~

Goals: I actually hit all goals without adjustments. Wooohooo!

That feels great, especially after losing almost all of Week 3 to social recovery and illness. I think only Week 1 went as well as this one. I know I needed to do adjustments to Week 2 since the social event I needed recovery from happened during its weekend.

~*~*~*~*~

Week 4

Morning routine (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Workouts: Wednesday, Sunday

Meals on time (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday

Writing: Saturday

Studying: Tuesday, Friday, Sunday

So what can I learn from Week 4?

• Not sure. Looks about the same as always.
  • Something the tracking doesn't show: that I stop trying for morning walks after I hit the quota, but I still kinda goes for meal timing after I hit the quota. Why do I treat them differently? Because meal timing structures the whole day while morning walk only decides how much I'll be walking in the evening (unless I take an afternoon walk).

Extras: That post about convenience I didn't write...so no link?

Something I've noticed. I seem to stop caring about hitting the morning walk and the meal times when I've either hit the goal for the week or know I still have time to complete it. This means I need to figure out a different system to do them. Especially the morning walk since if I don't do the morning walk I often have a LOT of steps to get to during an evening walk (as in most of the steps) and this won't be sustainable when I get my goal of 10'000 steps a day. Plus I plan to hinge other parts of my daily routine after the morning walk and that would only work if I do the morning walk regularly/every day.

Although I want to get my meals on time every day and do a morning walk every day, until I get both of them as a habit, I don't want to feel like a failure by missing them. I'll have to think about another approach, or maybe I'll just inch up the weekly amount slowly. So right now, morning walk is on three and meal on four. I can go to morning walk four days and meal timing to five different days and six meals (so either hit one meal on six days, or hit at least one meal on four days and two on one day). I'll think about this. Right now is rest week between challenges! :D

Those two paragraphs felt like something more appropriate for my whole challenge review. Maybe I'll quote myself! *gasp*

~*~*~*~*~

Comparison Between Weeks

Energy/Mood Days

Week 1

Good days: Tuesday, Sunday

Average days: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday

Bad days: Monday, Thursday

Week 2

Good days: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Average days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday

Bad days: 

Week 3

Good days: Saturday

Average days: Friday

Bad days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday

Week 4

Good days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Average days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Bad days: 

Interesting. Week 1 was a mixed bag. Week 2 was a really good week. Week 3 sucked. And now we are back to a good week. I hope this means I'm on an upward trajectory.

Type of Day

Week 1

# of workout days: 1.5

# of errands/chores days: 2

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 1.5

# of "normal"* days: 2

Week 2

# of workout days: 1.25

# of errands/chores days: 2.75

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 2.75

# of "normal"* days: 0.25

Week 3

# of workout days: 0

# of errands/chores days: 0

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 0

# of "normal"* days: 4

# of sick days: 3

Week 4

# of workout days: 1.5

# of errands/chores days: 1.5

# of rest (not rest between workshop, but rest from challenge stuff) days: 1

# of "normal"* days: 3

Not sure if there is anything useful to compare here. Either I have too little data or comparison just isn't useful for this. I like seeing how my week is divided up though.

When Goals Get Done

Week 1

Morning routine (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Tuesday, Friday

Workouts: Tuesday, Saturday

Meals on time (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday

Writing: Sunday

Studying: Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday

Week 2

Morning routine (until I stopped tracking): Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

Meals on time (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday

Writing (optional this week): —

Studying (goal modified this week): Sunday

Week 3

Morning routine (until I stopped tracking): Tuesday, (was sick in between here) Saturday, Sunday

Workouts: —

Meals on time (until I stopped tracking): Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday

Writing: —

Studying: Monday, Tuesday, Friday(, Saturday, Sunday)

Week 4

Morning routine (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Meals on time (until I stopped tracking): Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday

Writing: Saturday

Studying: Tuesday, Friday, Sunday

Not sure if there is much useful things to keep track of here. I've noticed a few patterns. Mainly that easier goals usually get done early in the week, while hard goals wait until the end of the week so they can get victims for sudden weekly changes in plans/moods more. And the hard ones feels like those that will pay most dividends in the end.

I also as mentioned above noticed I partly let go of a goal after hitting it. So the limit I set is also the limit I aim for. I need to figure out how to set goals in such a way that I try for more instead of just enough. Maybe it is a mental shift I need to do.

A complete challenge review should happen tomorrow, as well as one or more updates to my battle log. I also had that convenience post that will probably happen as a lesson learned on the battle log instead. Also: how should I keep all the interesting journey stuff and thinking stuff from this thread, so it doesn't get lost and forgotten (those posts I've been linking to in extra).

• Like 2

Challenge Accepted. Challenge Completed.

Way back in the dawn of time, Dagger was issued a challenge by The All Mighty Nerd Fitness God: "Do a four week challenge and I will reward thee with an adventure beyond your understanding."

Dagger decided this was good. An adventurer needed somewhere to go adventuring from, so her challenge was to lay a foundation, set a floor, build walls, and protect it all with a roof. It would be an unfinished shell, no paint or frills, because four weeks was only so long.

Her foundation was exercise.

Her floor was nutrition.

Her walls and roof were the quests to level up her life.

On 8 Jun 2016 at 1:23 AM, Dagger said:

Exercise

1. 6'000 steps per day for 21 days (and then I will evaluate if I should raise it already and with how much or if I should stick with 6000 for the rest of the challenge) (21-28x total)
  2. Morning routine of a walk within one hour of waking up 3 times per week. (12x total)
  3. Zumba 1-2x per week (4-8x total)
  4. Yoga 1-2x per week (4-8x total)

Nutrition

1. No TV-diners (28x total)
  2. Eating 1 meal on schedule 4 different days per week. Lunch ready to eat between noon and 13:00; dinner ready at latest 19:30. (16x total)

Level Up My Life

1. Read fiction 15 mins per day (just to be sure it has been cemented in again (read like crazy as a teenager)) (28x total)
  2. Study craft for 5 mins 3 days per week (15x total)
  3. Write minimum 100 words 3 x per week or write a total of 300 words per week (12x total)
  4. Work up to evening routine v.3 and have done it for 5 days in a row (currently on v.2.5; 5-10 days in a row of a version and I move up) (28x total)

It took 28 days of walking to get the foundation started. 12 collections of morning dew. 2 quick steps with flourish to avoid falling. 4 deep breaths with movement to ensure a clear vision.

It took 28 days of cooking dinner without the benefit of a finished meal from a strange world to gather the material for the floor. 16 days of getting to the build in time to put the floor in.

It took reading 28 day plans to get started on the wall and roof. More than 15 times of studying building books to get it right. 600 swear words for every bump and bruise to get the eaves right. 28 evenings of protecting the build to make sure nothing was destroyed before the roof was finished on the last day.

Dagger was satisfied. Her home base was finished, not quite livable yet because she needed the insides finished, but it would stand against any weather now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You might notice that the totals from my first post is off.

Exercise. I only did Zumba twice instead of four times. One time disappeared during sick week (Week 3), and the other fell away because I decided to do yoga twice the last week. That also explains why yoga is four, it should have been five except it also lost one to sick week. During sick week there was also a couple of days of less than 6000 steps, but I took one walk per day during those days to get out and move a little.

So the score becomes 100% because I stand by the changes I did.

Nutrition. No need for any changes.

100%

Level Up My Life. It got some changes. Writing was changed to 300 words per week, but was also reduced during Week 2 and Week 3 to zero. Week 2 due to a social visit and a need for more studying (that didn't happen). Week 3 was sick week. The evening routine was done every day, but I did not do version 3 five times, I did it once. If I go back, I might find more justification for not writing during Week 2, but from this point, it feels a little weak. So that and the slight mishap on the evening routine...

90%

I'm satisfied. I have some thoughts about different things I'll do for the next challenge and such, but I think I'll discuss those on my battle log until I create my next challenge. (If I join the July 17 challenge, I will miss the first week. But I'll probably join it in the end, or who knows?)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The All Mighty Nerd Fitness God looked at Dagger's work and nodded approval: "You have won this challenge. As promised, you will have an adventure that you will find hard to forget. You have my permission to attend the Nerd Fitness Camp. Now off with you to prepare."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Butternut said:

Dagger, you got this! Let me know what guild your headed to for next challenge! 

I'm wallowing between Adventurers, staying in Rebel or possibly going Druid for a challenge since I'm doing yoga as my main exercise right now. Currently, I'm moving to my battle log though, and you'll find a link in my signature "Daily Questing".

• Like 2