• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alanna

Alanna Pushes Pause

If you’re expecting a challenge centered around pause squats and deadlifts, my apologies ;). I’m pausing life, not my lifts.

3320f6f2998d48539cf17a2917444b12.jpg

I’ve been MIA recently (but still lifting!), so for those of you who don’t know me: I’m a first year PhD student and started powerlifting when I joined NF about two years ago. After having some chronic health issues flare up this past year, I’ve decided to take about a year off to focus on getting my health in order. This will be my first challenge while on leave, so my goals are designed to help me make that transition + do what I need to for my recovery:

Goal 1: Write down a daily plan by the end of breakfast that day. Doesn’t have to be super detailed, and doesn’t even have to be carried out – I just want to impose some structure on now structure-less days.

Goal 2: Accomplish the following each day:

1. Some sort of movement (e.g., lifting, walking, stretching, yoga…)
  2. Some sort of adulting (e.g., groceries, laundry, batch cooking, cleaning, making doctor’s appointments, going to doctor’s appointments…)
  3. An adventure (e.g., hiking, visiting rescue kittens, making a new/fun recipe, trying a new yoga pose, going dancing, learning a new programming language, listening to new music, going to the library, raiding a thrift store, working towards a handstand…)

Some things can double-count (e.g., hiking = adventure + movement) at my discretion. I’ll have plenty of help with #3 since I’m spending most of the summer with The Best Friend, who is also fortuitously taking a couple months off before heading to grad school herself.

Goal 3: 8:00 pm screen curfew, with two exceptions: 1) using my phone or computer for guided meditation, and 2) texting my mom (or other concerned party) to let her know I’m alive. From past challenges I know this is the best way to ensure an early bed time.

LUYL goal: No brains – i.e., no reading papers or doing research in my field (neuroscience) or otherwise, for that matter. Coding for fun or learning math (NOT applied to biology/neuroscience) is fine if I ultimately need something to keep my brain busy. Yes, I actually need to make not working a goal.

Other than that… food is still AIP, lifting program is still 5/3/1 (latest cycle ends this week). Maxes at the start of the challenge:

• Squat: 265 lbs (120.2 kg)
  • Bench: 150 lbs (68 kg)
  • Deadlift: 335 lbs (152 kg)
  • OHP: 100 lbs (45.4 kg)

I’m not starting the challenge in full until June 12, which is conveniently my first full day home. In the meantime, there will be plenty of exercising and adulting as I get ready to move…

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Here to support!  

Taking time to focus on your health is smart.  

How do you like 5/3/1?

Thanks -- glad to have you along!

I've really enjoyed the program, and the autoregulation part has been convenient given the month to month (and sometimes day to day) variation in how I feel -- if I'm up for it, I can push myself, but otherwise I can stick to the minimum number of reps and sets and still make progress (or at least maintain my strength). The flexibility of the program has also made it fun, and forced me to experiment and figure out what works best for me. The couple of things that I didn't like so much were 1) the program's low volume (but I fixed that by adding Joker sets and first-set-last sets to 2 of the 3 weeks) and 2) when I first started, the low frequency of the big lifts (which I fixed by smooshing the four workouts into three full body workouts, with a lighter bench session on squat day and vice versa). These days, though, the four day split with shorter workouts works well.

Hmm, after looking at that article again, I realized reading Beyond 5/3/1 would probably be quite helpful at this point -- maybe I'll add that to my list of possible "adventures" for this challenge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

LUYL goal: No brains – i.e., no reading papers or doing research in my field (neuroscience) or otherwise, for that matter. Coding for fun or learning math (NOT applied to biology/neuroscience) is fine if I ultimately need something to keep my brain busy. Yes, I actually need to make not working a goal.

Hello! Hello! Hello! :D

You know if you feel like doing something very very small you could maybe go back to lifting using sane units? :P 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Dropping in to say Good Luck. Hope everything goes really well! :)

17 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

hello! great goals, girl. you totally need some R&R so it's awesome to see that as your focus. well thought out :)

Thank you! I'll figure things out eventually, even if it's not in this challenge!

7 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Hello! Hello! Hello! :D

You know if you feel like doing something very very small you could maybe go back to lifting using sane units? :P 

Hello hello! I first read this as "you should go back to England," was confused how that was something very very small, and then realized you were simply asking me to divide my weights by 2.205. :P Not to mention kilogram barbell math would actually be much easier than pound barbell math if I actually had kg plates!

• Like 1

YOU'RE BACK!

I've been rereading Tamora Pierce again because I'm stressed, which always makes me think of you :)

Nice to see you taking some well-earned R&R.

I love the movement/adulting/adventure thing. I might steal that at some point! It's so cool!

anyway HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

Hello hello! I first read this as "you should go back to England," was confused how that was something very very small, and then realized you were simply asking me to divide my weights by 2.205. :P Not to mention kilogram barbell math would actually be much easier than pound barbell math if I actually had kg plates!

Hahaha! I thought it might sound like this at first! "Do something small, move to England" (although now I might suggest Germany instead ;)). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

YOU'RE BACK!

I've been rereading Tamora Pierce again because I'm stressed, which always makes me think of you :)

Nice to see you taking some well-earned R&R.

I love the movement/adulting/adventure thing. I might steal that at some point! It's so cool!

anyway HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

YES. And I'm going to do my best not to disappear this time! I actually just reread the Song of the Lioness and Immortals quartets, as well as Trickster's Choice, because I also needed some good de-stressing books. Tortall is a great place to escape to in such times, no?

Feel free to steal away! I wanted a goal that was flexible, but would motivate me to be somewhat productive and re-explore my old hobbies now that grad school is, for the time being, no longer the driving force in my life.

49 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Hahaha! I thought it might sound like this at first! "Do something small, move to England" (although now I might suggest Germany instead ;)). 

Haha, but by the time I got to Germany you'd probably be off on your next adventure!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Lol, that's very true! The England coincidence was very funny!

The England Coincidence... sounds like it should be the name of a Sherlock Holmes episode :D

9 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Oh hi!!! Welcome back :)

Glad to hear you are taking some time for yourself and your health!!!

Hi!!!

---------------------

Tuesday was bench day:

• Bench: warm-up, then
    • 105 lbs (47.6 kg)* x 5 (* here's kg just for you, @AugustaAdaByron !)
    • 120 lbs (54.4 kg) x 3
    • 135 lbs (61.2 kg) x 2 (AMRAP) (not what I hope for for my 1+ sets, but... at least I got to bench the big plates for multiple reps!)
    • 135 lbs (61.2 kg) x 1 x 2
    • 105 lbs (47.6 kg) x 7
  • pull-ups with band (around foot): bw x 6, 5, 5
  • DB row: 45 lbs x 12 x 2, 45 lbs x 11
  • back extensions: bw + 55 lbs x 9 x 3

Wasn't feeling super great so I didn't go for any PRs, but I did spend some time getting comfortable with the big plates :D.

Also got 19,482 steps on my fitbit.

I'm at the packing stage where my apartment is an unmitigated disaster zone.

• Like 5

That's a lot of steps! I'm trying to take the baby step of consistently getting 5000 per day, but I'm all over the place. I've done as little as 500 before, but I was sick as hell and practically on bedrest. Most weekend days I'll hit 10,000 because I'll go for a walk. Any tips for doing better at this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grizzy said:

That's a lot of steps! I'm trying to take the baby step of consistently getting 5000 per day, but I'm all over the place. I've done as little as 500 before, but I was sick as hell and practically on bedrest. Most weekend days I'll hit 10,000 because I'll go for a walk. Any tips for doing better at this!

That's a lot for me, too -- usually I average 11-15k/day, depending on how much extra walking I do. Since April I've been trying to walk in the morning (--> 5-7k) and on lifting days I walk to the gym (--> 4k round trip). If I have the time I fit in a second walk on rest days (--> another 5-7k). Day-to-day activities net me ~3-5k.

The extra steps on Tuesday were from 1) having to go to the store and having my bike chain jarred out of place on the way (forcing me to walk a bit extra until I could fix it), and 2) wandering around the maze we call our campus hospital in search of a research lab so I could return a book.

As far as other tips... there are always fitbit step challenges! When I first set my 10k step goal I ran several challenges with a rather competitive friend... who was also training for a 10k. I had to walk quite a bit to keep up :P.

3 hours ago, wildross said:

Hi!

Hey wildross!

• Like 1

~13.8k steps today. Deadlifts tomorrow!

I packed some more today and took some boxes over to a friend's apartment -- she's storing/using some of the things I don't need to take back with me.

I also realized that I relinquished my baking pans too soon. Luckily, I discovered that microwaving parsnips works quite well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

The England Coincidence... sounds like it should be the name of a Sherlock Holmes episode :D

Hi!!!

---------------------

Tuesday was bench day:

• 120 lbs (54.4 kg) x 3
    • 135 lbs (61.2 kg) x 2 (AMRAP) (not what I hope for for my 1+ sets, but... at least I got to bench the big plates for multiple reps!)
    • 105 lbs (47.6 kg) x 7

Wasn't feeling super great so I didn't go for any PRs, but I did spend some time getting comfortable with the big plates :D.

Indeed, however, name it "The England Coincindence and the Unit Transformation" and you've got a cross over between Sherlock and The Big Bang Theory!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alanna said:

Hi!!!

---------------------

Tuesday was bench day:

• 120 lbs (54.4 kg) x 3
    • 105 lbs (47.6 kg) x 7

those are still great bench numbers! jealous!

4 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Indeed, however, name it "The England Coincindence and the Unit Transformation" and you've got a cross over between Sherlock and The Big Bang Theory!

too good!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alanna said:

This is also me right now. I should really work on it more....

LOTS of fitbit steps! Oh my!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 0:45 AM, AugustaAdaByron said:

Haha, yes! *tries to imagine Sherlock meeting Sheldon*

tumblr_llzcxpZF8M1qju7t7o1_500.gif

partyio-qznq255wkgafcrq1c8my-original.gi

On 6/9/2016 at 4:58 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

those are still great bench numbers! jealous!

Thanks! I've been quite happy to start using the big plates (as you could probably tell :D).

On 6/9/2016 at 5:03 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

Hey, I've seen you around!!! HI!

ozrHajz.gif

Hey! I must have missed your first challenges during my life-went-crazy absence... welcome to Warriors!

On 6/9/2016 at 7:29 AM, elvenengineer said:

This is also me right now. I should really work on it more....

I think you got an earlier start than me, though :P. Remind me when you're moving?

23 hours ago, Urgan said:

O HAI. 

HI! How's it going Urgan?

• Like 4