• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alanna

Alanna Pushes Pause

If I haven't stopped by your challenge yet -- sorry! I have some catching up to do once things settle down in a few days.

Wednesday: deadlift day!

• Deadlift (back to conventional): warm-up then
    • 235 lbs (106.6 kg) x 5
    • 270 lbs (122.5 kg) x 3 (+ belt)
    • 300 lbs (136.1 kg) x 3 (AMRAP) (+ belt) (+ 10 lb triple PR)
    • 335 lbs (152 kg) x 1 (joker) (+ belt) (+ 10 lb PR) --> *** GUYS, I DEADLIFTED A WOOKIEE! ***

(The site used to say adult male wookiees were 125 kg, rather than 150 kg, so I had some catching up to do. Other sites still say 125 kg, though... maybe it depends on if they've been bulking?.)

• RDLs: 170 lbs x 8 x 3
  • front squats: 135 lbs x 3 x 3
  • lying leg raises (on bench): bw x F x 3

It's been 5 weeks since I had the energy to do this full workout with the front squats, so between that and the PRs I'm happy :D.

Fitbit steps: 14.6k

Moving out progress included

• shipping several boxes
  • selling my bike (in less than 24 hrs) for almost 5x what the bike shop would have been able to pay me
  • more packing... including my belt and squat shoes since I don't need them for OHP day
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Alanna said:

HI! How's it going Urgan?

Magnesium deficiency causes chronic tension migraines--this is the biggest discovery ever. Now life is a great deal better~ Glad to see you back on the forums!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

Haha, yes! *tries to imagine Sherlock meeting Sheldon*

tumblr_llzcxpZF8M1qju7t7o1_500.gif

partyio-qznq255wkgafcrq1c8my-original.gi

Lol... <3

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

If I haven't stopped by your challenge yet -- sorry! I have some catching up to do once things settle down in a few days.

Wednesday: deadlift day!

• Deadlift (back to conventional): warm-up then
    • 235 lbs (106.6 kg) x 5
    • 270 lbs (122.5 kg) x 3 (+ belt)
    • 300 lbs (136.1 kg) x 3 (AMRAP) (+ belt) (+ 10 lb triple PR)
    • 335 lbs (152 kg) x 1 (joker) (+ belt) (+ 10 lb PR) --> *** GUYS, I DEADLIFTED A WOOKIEE! ***

Wooooo(kieeee)! Congratulations! :D 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

I want to like that post 10 million times!! You are a superstar!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Urgan said:

Oh totally missed page 2! That's amazing, well done!

8 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Wooooo(kieeee)! Congratulations! :D 

5 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Your deadlift day is just awesome!

5 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Fantastic deadlift PB! Way to go, Alanna!

5 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

That's an awesome achievement! Way to deadlift a wookie :)

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Congrats on deadlifting a wookie! Woo hoo!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Grymm said:

That wookie never stood a chance.  Next up, a bantha!

Thanks everyone!

tumblr_n5qhsoZvt81rwiv0vo1_500.gif

Err, might have to make my next goal a baby bantha... 150 kg to 4000 kg is a bit of a jump :P.

11 hours ago, Urgan said:

Magnesium deficiency causes chronic tension migraines--this is the biggest discovery ever. Now life is a great deal better~ Glad to see you back on the forums!

That's wonderful! Has magnesium supplementation completely fixed the problem? I actually started taking magnesium about a year and a half ago to help with sleep and blood sugar balance, but I had no idea it's linked to migraines, too.

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Big plates are awesome.  :-)

World_s_Largest_Souvinir_Travel_Plate_00

Ha, I wish I could bench that! Where was the photo taken? If I had to take a guess, I would say the midwest...

• Like 2

On 6/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I found it on Google.  Was feeling punny.  :-)

Feel free to leave puns (visual or otherwise) in my thread any time :)

-----

I think I have the same melting point as coconut oil. If my coconut oil is a liquid, it's too hot.

Friday summary:

• OHP day (working weights were 70 lbs x 5, 80 lbs x 3, 90 lbs x 4 (AMRAP), 100 lbs x 1 (joker), 70 lbs x 5), + accessories
  • got >13k steps, largely from walking up and down stairs in my apartment as I packed
  • Adulting was packing, blitz edition. And I realized around 9 pm that I needed another suitcase...

Saturday:

• Looooong day in the airport and on the road. Got to play packing tetris in the airport when one of my bags was 9 lbs overweight. Steps were ~9.6k, though I haven't checked how my fitbit handled the time change yet. Anyway, I'm home now :)

Happy challenge day 1 everyone!

• Like 4

Yay for being at home! :)

7 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Adulting was packing, blitz edition. And I realized around 9 pm that I needed another suitcase...

Got to play packing tetris in the airport when one of my bags was 9 lbs overweight. 

Story of my life...

Awesome OHP numbers! :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Story of my life...

Awesome OHP numbers! :D 

Yeah, and in the process of re-arranging I made one of the other bags 1.5 lbs overweight. But the employee waved me through... I guess she'd seen me struggle long enough XD. (It wasn't super busy so at least I wasn't holding up a huge line).

Thanks! It's slooooowly moving, but moving nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alanna said:

Yeah, and in the process of re-arranging I made one of the other bags 1.5 lbs overweight. But the employee waved me through... I guess she'd seen me struggle long enough XD. (It wasn't super busy so at least I wasn't holding up a huge line).

Thanks! It's slooooowly moving, but moving nonetheless.

Unfortunately that's easy to happen too... At least 1.5lbs is not that much!

My guess is that it depends on how the employee that checks you in feels that day!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Unfortunately that's easy to happen too... At least 1.5lbs is not that much!

My guess is that it depends on how the employee that checks you in feels that day!

It's not about how much the bag weighs, but how hard you try :P.

Too bad lifting and cutting/bulking don't quite work the same way...

• Like 5

Sunday, 6/12 recap:

• Daily plan: check
  • Daily to-do:
    • movement: went for an hour walk with my mom
    • adulting: got wheels and got groceries
    • adventure: ummm... I don't suppose a nap counts as an adventure? I did start reading The Long War by Terry Pratchett & company.
  • Screen curfew: Not up to speed here yet -- I briefly checked my phone after my nap... before realizing it was 9:30 pm. And then briefly again ~2 am when I was getting frustrated by my jet lag induced insomnia.
  • ETA -- oh, and successfully stayed sans brains.

Struggling a bit with the heat (~10-15 degrees hotter and more humid than I've been used to) and the jet lag, so I took it pretty easy yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to maintain my super high step count this summer -- unfortunately there isn't a good place to walk in my neighborhood, and I'm not tolerating the heat right now. But I'll still find a way to incorporate regular walking into my routine, or find something else to replace it with.

----------

I also need to decide which gym to join... I wish there were a good gym with a heavy-lifting focus nearby, but the closest matches are focused on personal training (vs. open gym times, allowing you to do what you want) and emphasize Olympic lifting or more crossfit type workouts, not powerlifting. Traffic can also be randomly horrible around here, so the closer the better. My best options seem to be

• Gold's Gym: Tried it over winter break and seems like it would work well. Has two power racks, a platform, and additional bench set-ups (though the benches felt a bit low). Was busy but not crowded when I went -- I didn't have to wait for any equipment. Might have a sauna, which could be useful too.
  • Anytime Fitness: Also tried it over winter break and was very quiet and smaller than Gold's Gym, which was nice. Has two power racks. No platforms, though, which I really do prefer for deadlifts these days...
  • YMCA: Used it two summers ago -- if things haven't changed, it has a power rack, another squat rack, and some bench set-ups. Also has a climbing wall, which could be fun but isn't essential, as well as a sauna. On the walking side of things, it has an indoor track and is next to some nice walking trails so I could easily walk before and after lifting (sans treadmills) -- though I'll be using those trails regardless. However, it has a reputation for being very busy, which was also my impression from that summer -- I had to wait for the squat rack a few times. I've requested a trial pass so I can re-evaluate this factor. My membership would give me access to all 6 Y's in the area, so I could see if the other very close Y is less crowded...

The cost for each one is around the same, so that's not much of an issue. For the next several weeks I'll also be spending most of my time at a second gym closer to my friend's house.

• Like 2